[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/RMSG/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: Richard Stallman.jpg (2 MB, 2183x2183) Image search: [Google]
Richard Stallman.jpg
2 MB, 2183x2183
Welcome to Richard Stallman General

Here we discuss our lord and master Richard Stallman and the role of the Free GNU Operating System in today's modern Free Society.

Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.

Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, hackers, that's not good.

When we have enough free software
At our call, hackers, at our call,
We'll kick out those dirty licenses
Ever more, hackers, ever more.

>>
how is free software sustainable? that would mean programming would be a hobby rather than a career
>>
>>51616133
Free does not necessarily mean gratis, but the meaning we intend here is libre, free as in freedom of speech.

Also please do not confuse the Open Source movement with our Free Software movement, both are completely different things.
>>
>>51616133
>how is free software sustainable? that would mean programming would be a hobby rather than a career
No.

Programmers build something /other than software/ using free software to generate money for a company, rather than selling the software they write itself.

Hint: websites / services / backends etc
>>
>>51616222
oh so in your world the only programmers that would exist would be webdevs, gotcha
>>
>>51616133
>how is free software sustainable?
no idea, just ask the guys at redhat or something.
>>
>>51616114
[~]$ sudo vrms
[sudo] password for i:
systemd-readahead: ['LGPL-2.1 MIT']
flashplugin: ['custom:non-free']
ca-certificates-cacert: ['custom:RDL']
pacdep: ['GPL3+']

Non-free packages: 4

However, there are 192 ambiguously licensed packages that vrms cannot certify.

[~]$ sudo vrms -g
noto-fonts-cjk: ['custom:SIL']
nyancat: ['custom:NCSA']
haskell-monad-loops: ['custom:PublicDomain']
flashplugin: ['custom:non-free']
mgba-qt: ['custom:MPL2']
mgba-sdl: ['custom:MPL2']
xcursor-vanilla-dmz: ['CCPL:by-nc-sa']
atlas-lapack-base: ['custom:blas', 'custom:lapack', 'custom:atlas']
xcursor-vanilla-dmz-aa: ['CCPL:by-nc-sa']
snd: ['custom:free']
warsow-data: ['custom:Warsow Content License']
openttd-opensfx: ['custom:CCSP']
python2-ipaddress: ['custom:PSF']
lolcat: ['custom:WTF']
neovim: ['custom:neovim']
urbanterror-data: ['custom:freeware']
ca-certificates-cacert: ['custom:RDL']
rfc: ['custom:as-is']
dwarffortress: ['custom:dwarffortress']
tetrinet: ['Public domain']
libmilter: ['custom:Sendmail open source license']
sdlmame: ['custom:MAME License']
archlinux-wallpaper: ['CCPL:by-nc-sa']
libmgba: ['custom:MPL2']
ttf-hannom: ['custom:non-profit']
lmdb: ['custom:OpenLDAP']
opera: ['custom:opera']
flattr-icon-theme: ['custom:CC BY-SA 4.0']
hfsprogs: ['custom:APSL']
vapoursynth-plugin-fluxsmooth: ['None']
sopel: ['custom:EFL']
pdflib-lite: ['custom:pdflib-lite']
ruby-cairo: ['Ruby']
cimg: ['CeCiLL-C', 'CeCiLL']
cuda: ['custom:NVIDIA']

Non-free packages: 35

However, there are 662 ambiguously licensed packages that vrms cannot certify.

Honestly I don't remember installing all that shit and really don't want to know the implied mess from AUR's packages
>>
>>51616133

you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”.
>>
Requests for speaking engagements

I absolutely refuse to have a break in the middle of my speech.Once I start, I will go straight through.

If I am quite sleepy, I would like two cans or small bottles of non-diet Pepsi. (I dislike the taste of coke, and of all diet soda; also, there is an international boycott of the Coca Cola company for killing union organizers in Colombia and Guatemala; see killercoke.org.) However, if I am not very sleepy, I won't want
Pepsi, because it is better if I don't drink so much sugar.

Some organizations feel that hospitality calls for providing me with a business class ticket. That is indeed more comfortable, but an economy class seat is good enough.
Meanwhile, speaking is my main
source of income, and the extra price of a business class ticket would be a lot more useful for me if I can spend it on something else. So if you were thinking of spending extra for business class, how about if you pay the extra to me as a speaker's fee instead?

If you buy bus or train tickets for me, do not give my name! Big Brother has no right to know where I travel, or where you travel, or where anyone travels. If they arbitrarily demand a name, give a name that does not belong to any person you know of. If they will check my
ID before I board the bus or train, then let's look for another way

https://groups.google.com/a/mysociety.org/forum/#!msg/mysociety-community/zkyZpOXjgoQ/_8xyXSxv9zYJ
>>
>>51616114
If you wanted to make a thread about worshipping a fat autistic fuck you might as well have just made it about yourself.
>>
webm with sound related.

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1448913164933.webm
>>
File: 1435919560667.png (2 MB, 1500x2221) Image search: [Google]
1435919560667.png
2 MB, 1500x2221
>tfw I made an RMS thread and no one responded to it

Oh well, might as well pay tribute to our lord and master here.

Here's my rendition of Richard Stallman as one of his many aliases, "The Pun-isher"
>>
>>51616340
Wine is not very important to me--not like food. I like some wines, depending on the taste, and dislike others, but I don't remember the
names of wines I have liked, so it is useless to ask me.

Therefore, if you're having dinner with me, please don't ask me what to do about wine.I can't decide intelligently, and it matters more to others than to me. Have wine or don't, as you prefer; choose it to please yourself and the others, not for me.

If you get a bottle of wine, I will taste it, and if I like the taste, I will drink a little, perhaps a glass.

I do not eat breakfast. Please do not ask me any questions about what I will do breakfast. Please just do not bring it up.

Please don't be surprised if I pull out my computer at dinner and begin handling some of my email. I have difficulty hearing when there is noise; at dinner, when people are speaking to each other, I usually cannot hear their words. Rather than feel bored, or impose on everyone by asking them to speak slowly at me, I do some work.
>>
>>51616340
When you need to tell me about a problem in a plan, please do not start with a long apology. That is unbearably boring, and unnecessary-- conveying useful information is helpful and good, and why apologize for that?

If a hotel says "We have internet access for customers", that is so
vague that it cannot be relied on. So please find out exactly what
they have and exactly what it will do. If they have an ethernet, do
they have a firewall? Does it permit SSH connections? What
parameters does the user need to specify in order to talk with it?

Please check those things directly, or ask the people who actually run the network. If you talk with someone who doesn't understand what "SSH connection" means, or if he doesn't understand the difference between "Internet" and "web browsing", that person is not competent to give reliable information. Don't rely on information from such a person--talk to someone who knows!

If you can find a host for me that has a friendly parrot, I will be very very glad. If you can find someone who has a friendly parrot I can visit with, that will be nice too.
>>
http://autismsd.com/is-richard-stallman-autistic/
>>
File: 1447483137083.jpg (203 KB, 1024x1372) Image search: [Google]
1447483137083.jpg
203 KB, 1024x1372
RMS is by far my favorite autist and idol.
>>
>>51616320

Stallman always says this, but where the fuck can you get "free beer"?
>>
>>51616510
at a friends house. or as a woman during womens hour.
>>
File: asuka-langley-soryu-06.jpg (3 MB, 4363x7523) Image search: [Google]
asuka-langley-soryu-06.jpg
3 MB, 4363x7523
Asuka is RMS. Post Asuka.
>>
>>51616183
does that just mean you can write whatever kind of software you want?

because i thought that already existed
>>
>>51616554
You profit by getting companies to pay you to develop software for them to use, or by donations or by offering paid support for the software
>>
>2015
>not using hurd kernel
>>
File: RMSleisure.jpg (14 KB, 501x295) Image search: [Google]
RMSleisure.jpg
14 KB, 501x295
>>51616510
>>
someone post the screencap of the anon who emailed RMS and asked him if he was autistic?
>>
>>51616609
what does rms think of the open source movement then?
>>
>>51616736
>"Open source" is the slogan of a position that was formulated as a reaction against the free software movement. Those who support its views have a right to promote them, but I disagree with them and I want to promote the ideals of free software.
>>
>>51616736
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
>>
>>51616725
How is that relevant to your freedom?
>>
>>51616867
it's not but it is relevant to fun. RMS likes fun as far as i'm concerned.
>>
>>51616776
>>51616781
so, free software is basically just open source software, except with more rights?
>>
>>51616936
pretty much but it has more philosophical meaning to it.
>>
>>51616936
No, Opensource software does not grant you Stallman's four basic freedoms, and thus it is bad.

However, it is leagues and buttloads better than anything proprietary.
>>
>>51616526

Ah thanks anon, I have no friends, so guess I'll become a woman.
>>
>>51616696

so tempted to call the number for some tender embraces...
>>
>>51616936
>The two terms describe almost the same category of software, but they stand for views based on fundamentally different values. Open source is a development methodology; free software is a social movement. For the free software movement, free software is an ethical imperative, essential respect for the users' freedom. By contrast, the philosophy of open source considers issues in terms of how to make software “better”—in a practical sense only. It says that nonfree software is an inferior solution to the practical problem at hand. Most discussion of “open source” pays no attention to right and wrong, only to popularity and success; here's a typical example (http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Open-Source-Is-Woven-Into-the-Latest-Hottest-Trends-78937.html).
Basically, free software is about ethics of being in control and having freedom over your computing and Open Source is only interested on the development model. That's why supporters of Open Source don't see the problem with using propietary firmware blobs.
>>
File: rms_katana.jpg (63 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
rms_katana.jpg
63 KB, 450x338
>>
>>51617094

can someone photoshop the sword out and replace with panties?
>>
File: 1447666748683.png (386 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1447666748683.png
386 KB, 1440x900
>>51617135
>photoshop
>>
>>51616256
>>>51616222 (You)
>oh so in your world the only programmers that would exist would be webdevs, gotcha
How would writing a backend for something like Twitter, Facebook, etc in c++/Java/whatever be considered webdev?
Do you write shitty software for a living in an MS shop and hate your life?
>>
>>51617056
lewd & gnude
>>
>>51617381
Ι've recently taken tο calling it "lewd + gnude"
>>
File: 1436927808990.jpg (32 KB, 239x338) Image search: [Google]
1436927808990.jpg
32 KB, 239x338
>>51617135
Made with free software
>>
>>51617634
Which is why it looks like shit lmao xD.

Free shitware is for autists and poorfags lel.

Ask for genuine Microsoft software today.
>>
>>51616936
Free software came first, so its more like open source is like free software except they changed the name and kept quiet about the ethical ideas to pander to corporations

You could consider the Open Source Initiative to be a fork of the Free Software Foundation

Here's the OSI FAQ that basically says it's the same kind of software but different 'tactics' for popularizing it.
>>
>>51617811
Forgot link
http://opensource.org/faq#free-software
>>
>>51616133
By selling out to MegaCorp like jewgle or NSA

See
Redhat
>>
>>51617634
Kek
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.