[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Remember when this was the next big thing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Remember when this was the next big thing?
>>
>>51599435

I knew it would be shit. It was a horrible idea then, and it still holds up as a horrible idea now.
>>
>>51599435
I remember playing the demo of Just Cause 2 on my old PC with a shitty FX 5200 on OnLive. I thought it was fucking awesome.
>>
File: shields.jpg (84 KB, 1024x837) Image search: [Google]
shields.jpg
84 KB, 1024x837
>>51599458
>i havent used grid
>but muh 0,0006 speed loss
>>
>>51599435
Good concept though.
>>
>>51599652
Streaming with a few ms latency over your home's gigabit network does not even remotely compare to streaming over broadband.
>>
>>51599435
Not really but I never really cared. Whoever actually bought stuff on onlive got screwed when it shut down though. I think you lost the games you bought.
>>
>>51602827
>broadband
It aint my fault you have a shitty Isp
>>
>>51599435
No, we always knew that tachyons were going to be an issue.
>>
>>51599435
Original Beta Tester here, and yes, yes. This could have been big now that broadband is above 20mbit in most metro areas.
>>51599458
And yet we still see traces of it today...how is it any different from Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, beyond you sending back a few clicks? For that matter, do you really believe in your heart that the PlayStation 5 won't be pure streaming from Sony, now that we ALREADY have Sony yammering about streaming for the PS4? For that matter, Steam is already counting on you having a reasonable link to download gigabytes of fucking game data, OnLive's service never went over 3 megabit for their stream...let's see how long it would take you playing an OnLive 2.5mbit stream vs. a 6 gigabyte Steam download.

No matter how you cut it, streaming will come, because there are plenty of cheap fuckers that can't afford the perpetual hardware upgrade. That, and who wants to press a fucking DVD anymore and ship a box, when you can just have people fork over a credit card? Don't discount just how lazy the American gamer can be...
>>51599485
This. It didn't matter how crappy your hardware was, it only mattered that it could decode a video stream.
>>51603459
Also true. Only bought a $1 special, so not a big loss.
>>51604759
This was the real problem, they were ahead of their time, but I think their VC funding basically went to shit.
>>
>>51605815
TACHYONS LOL
>>
yeah not if you want 4k games with no lag.

console fags will love it though what with how shitty looking games are now.
>>
>>51605815
>Also true. Only bought a $1 special, so not a big loss.
Even so, it sucks to have games taken away like that. I can imagine it was a bad day for anyone who had a game library on onlive. That's why I'd prefer to have physical games over digital games since they can't be taken away so easily. Not saying physical is perfect though.
>>
>>51599435
It was never "the next best thing" if anything it was a stupid gimmick.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.