[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is FreeBSD when compared to other Unix-likes? I'm currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Bsd_daemon.jpg (8 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
Bsd_daemon.jpg
8 KB, 150x150
How is FreeBSD when compared to other Unix-likes? I'm currently using Slackware Linux on my home PC's.
>>
inconvenient
>>
>>51567539
not for the faint of heart
>>
>>51567539
What's your purpose?
>>
I like it. You should give it a shot. I know some people that have moved from slack to OpenBSD, they seem to like it. I use FreeBSD myself, been meaning to try out OpenBSD but I'm too lazy. I don't mean to imply that the 2 are similar, just saying.

If slack works for you though and FBSD doesn't have anything you personally want, then you should probably stick with what works for you. Try it out if you have the time but don't feel like you need to move unless you have good reason.

Good resources
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
https://freshports.org/
https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01

Use portmaster if you want to use source ports, otherwise pkg for packages.
>>
>>51568498
Have no idea how you can be so lazy that testing OpenBSD is too hard.

In fact, it's easier to use than FreeBSD, thanks to the devs belief that user errors are one of the first causes of security holes.
>>
>>51568694
Too content is the main thing honestly, I just have no reason to try it since I can't think of anything I'm missing that OpenBSD has. I don't mean that as a slight or anything.

Testing for me would be trying it out in a VM then migrating over to it for like a week to a month to form a real opinion on it in real scenarios. I'm often busy too, luckily it's the holidays and I can waste my time not being productive at all.
>>
>>51568694

When's the last time you used freebsd?

I don't necessarily find it easier to use. I'm running LLVM and Clang. Why is it still maintaining a branch of GCC? Any idea how inefficient that is?

Then there's CVS? Great? Everyone else is on git so we got to go back to the stone age?

Performance was atrocious. HTML5 video in firefox was a nogo. Like every 5-10 seconds you'd see a frame trickle through.

I was appalled.

I thought OpenBSD was supposed to be this lean shit.

Then I tried it in chromium. A little better, but all the keybinding chromium had was fucked. No way to move through tabs, I forget which, but ctrl-k or l didn't work.

Where's portsnap? Where's portmaster?

Where's svnup?

Every convenience I had from FreeBSD that has saved me so much time, is now gone.

And it's SLOW. The font in the tty when you load SUCKS. It's like Times New Roman.

Lol.

So yea, I respect openbsd. don't get me wrong, but I had myself to deal with ultimately it was a step backward.

ONE GOOD THING ABOUT OPENBSD - THE CODE OF CONDUCT:

www.openbsd.org/goals.html
vs
www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html

You decide.
>>
>>51570168
You can install a more modern version of GCC as a package or port.

They're still using CVS because they don't want to lose their history, I believe.

HTML5 video has only been a real problem for me in virtual machines, otherwise it ran fine.

One thing I can give to you is that wscons DOES suck. No unicode support? What the fuck.
>>
>>51570168
Also, firefox runs like shit pretty anywhere nowadays desu.

Openbsd firefox is unusable. That's out the box with pocket disabled and no addons.

Freebsd firefox is also clunky and slow. Very slow moving, unstable. Not responsive at all.

Can't rely on Firefox in mission critical situations.

Also, the parent company of Firefox cares more about pushing LGBT politics down people's throats than actual programming.

As evidenced by what a bloated monstrosity ff has become. They constantly court attention - do lots of stunts - all the while, FF gets way way more bloated in default installs.

You want to know how you make a browser FAST?

Don't put shit you don't need in it! There's not a reason in the world Firefox needs to be 100mB!
>>
>>51570241
>You want to know how you make a browser FAST?
>Don't put shit you don't need in it! There's not a reason in the world Firefox needs to be 100mB!
SeaMonkey has a Thunderbird and IRC client built in among other features, Opera has even more features than that, and both run fine on my single core hyperthreaded netbook in OpenBSD.
>>
File: works for me.png (441 KB, 1600x1548) Image search: [Google]
works for me.png
441 KB, 1600x1548
>>51570241
I was out of town for the holiday running FreeBSD off a cheap thumbdrive on someones old core2, firefox was doing alright for me honestly. If it runs alright there I bet it would run alright anywhere.
>>
>>51567539
better than the pile of shit called loonix
>>
>>51570381
SSD, 16 core xeon fag here.

Firefox runs like it's off a USB 1.0 drive.

I doubt IO was your blocker. Shitty code, probably like little chicklets getting tossed into a blender. Memory gets all scattered and clambered up.

You need to clear those tubes.

Using firefox 10 here. Fast as fuck.
>>
File: 1289490093413.png (194 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1289490093413.png
194 KB, 1600x1200
>>51570402
Please be nice, we're all family.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.