[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eReaders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
File: kobo-aura-hd.jpg (82 KB, 640x414) Image search: [Google]
kobo-aura-hd.jpg
82 KB, 640x414
What are /g/ thoughts on readers?

I just get this (used) at ebay for $90.

Do you have a reader? Any recommended site to download books?
>>
Are there any e-readers with decent pdf support.
>>
I am thinking of getting one because of all the deals on tech this weekend, but is it really worth it? I could probably get a cheap off brand, or used tablet for the same price as one of the good e-readers and it would do much more. Is an e-ink display better enough on your eyes to make up for it?
>>
File: 1448557364303.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448557364303.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1080
>>51566454
>I just get this (used) at ebay for $90.
Why? The Kindle is only $50 today.

inb4 >muh backlight
It looks better without one.
>>
>>51566484
Apparently, the whole Kobo line has better support of PDF's compared to the Kindle
>>
>>51566700
>265 dpi vs 167 dpi
>1440x1080 screen
>no support for epub
Actually, what really made me choose the Kobo over the Kindle was the epub support. And that 1080p screen looks really nice.
>>
>>51566760
this

Kobo is the only choice. Kindle is for poorfags.

Enjoy your shitty screen and limited typography
>>
got second generation kindle in 2009. Stopped using after getting Galaxy S 3 in 2012, because low resolution and slow page turn. Just ordered a Kobo Glo HD after being impressed by Kindle Voyage irl last week. Same screen, same mass, more options.
>>
>>51566942
and the old Kindle's screen is ded so I can't take advantage of the free wireless :-(
>>
>>51566953
>free wireless
?
>>
>>51567099
Some Kindle models come with unlimited cellular data. Amazon benefits from this because people use it to buy more books from them. More recent versions have it subsidized by advertisement screensavers.
>>
>>51566454
garbage. get a fucking iPad already
>>
>>51567231
Ah, thank you for the explanation.
>>
>>51567315
A reflected-light-only display causes much less eyestrain, and there's situations where the long battery life is desirable. It's also much lighter.
>>
>>51567379
>defective genes
>reading for more than 15h straight LOL
>50g more = MUCH LIGHTER HURR
>no color, shit processing speed, limited format support
>also single function devices LOL

fucking poorfags
>>
If I wanted to get an e-reader for muh manga, which would be best?
>>
>>51567531
iPad Air 2
>>
>>51567500
I have both devices. I don't read for fifteen hours continuously but I don't like to wait for my tablet to boot up every time I want to read. I go places :-)
>>
>>51567531
Kobo Glo HD

Kobo Aura H2O if it's hentai.
>>
>>51567553
implying boot time of your shit e-reader isn't in the 2-3 minute range, and that you actually shut off your ipad instead of putting it to sleep like everyone else (unlike your cheap e-reader it's batteries will maintain charge while sleeping or shelved)
>>
Just bought the Kobo Touch for $50.

Can't wait for it to come in.
>>
>>51567589
iPad battery isn't going to last for a week-long backpacking trip. Not going to bring a tablet when it does nothing my phone can't. That extra pound is a lot on top of all the other gear over 40 miles uphill both ways.
>>
>>51567646
>reading when you have to 'go places :-)'

FUCKEN AUTISTS LOL
>>
>>51567646
fug, I mean 40 minutes. More like 3 mile stretches.
>>
>>51567659
Calm down please.
>>
>>51567646
ipad mini weighs 50g more than that piece of shit kobo aura. the air 200g more. you're retarded
>>
>>51567672
stop paid shilling please. you start this exact same thread with the exact same image every few days. fuck off viral marketer
>>
>>51567705
I'm not the OP nor the guy you are arguing with.
>>
I own a Kobo Glo HD since recently.

The e-ink display is a lot better for the eyes than a phone or tablet, no contest.

However, I find it unusually annoying for reading in bed. It's a bit too bulky to hold if you lay on your side, so I have to kind of bunch up my blanket to keep it propped up.

Another problem is that page turning lights up my OCD. Sometimes it double turns for no reason at all, so in keeping with OCD, I developed a habit of checking if it double turned by returning to the previous page.

Also, the backlight control is extremely annoying. Looks good on paper -- just swipe the left side of your screen up or down. Well, the gesture is extremely unresponsive. Sometimes it just doesn't react at all, sometimes it doesn't actually control the backlight but flips the page. It's annoying to the point I don't even use it and instead use the menu slider.

Overall though, I do recommend it and e-readers in general. It's not exactly like paper, more like text printed on plastic -- but worlds ahead of LCDs in terms of reading comfort.
>>
Welcome to ebook piracy. Prepare to be disappointed.
>>
>>51567773
Why be disappointed? I haven't been.
>>
>>51567646

If I was going on a backpacking trip with two or more rechargeable devices (and believe me, I would), I'd pack a big-ass USB battery. It keeps everything charged for days.

>>51567794

Then you must *love* shitty fantasy and romance novels, because that's the majority of what's on IRC bots. Libgen just got shut down, Bibliotik a shit, and if you want academic books, you're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>51567773
#Bookz
>>
>>51567826

Been there. Done that. Was consistently disappointed with the selection of any serious academic literature I went looking for.
>>
>>51567823
I have no difficulty finding feminist programming books :-)
>>
>>51567848
The only academic book you need is the Bible son.
>>
>>51567848

And IRC bots are a shit method of distribution. It'd be faster to fucking mail flash drives around.

And that's when the bots *work*. They don't necessarily work.
>>
>>51566484
The new Tea (or PocketBook) Touch Lux 3 has the best pdf support (but's still shit).

>>51567531
No one, get a 7" tablet, really.

>>51567823
Do you know that there isn't much academic books for 2 reasons ? The first one is that the resizing will fuck the layout (which is important for almost every science thing) and the second one is that no one scan them. I don't like people who complaint and don't help us, the community.
(and there's very good fantasy novels)
>>
>>51568091

I'm not talking about full-size textbooks, I'm talking about regular, non-fiction educational books written by and for academics.

And, you know, we never seem to have trouble getting rips of every comic book, video game, TV show, movie, and music album ever. Why do we have so much trouble building a comprehensive library of ebooks? Could it be because the "scene", as it pertains to ebooks, are a bunch of illiterate neckbearded manchildren who only care about programming books and Wheel of Time novels?

Really. Don't try to blame me for the fact that the ebook scene is evidently incapable of getting its shit together.
>>
>>51568215
Like historical, philosophic, geographic, and so on books ? Yeah, maybe, but I'm still true saying you may be able to scan (or buy) and share them.

Anyway, that's not only the «ebook scene» (as they tend to scan less and remove drm more) but a more general thing. You won't find much academics book with legal offers (and much less in a ereader format).
>>
>>51568351

There's tons of shit I could buy a Kindle copy of for $20 that I can't find on a bot. TONS. I look all the time.
>>
>>51568375
Bought them.

>ib4 Ain't paying 20$ for a ebook I can have a physical copy for less.
>>
>>51568416

If I was made of money, I wouldn't be copy-pasting commands from a packlist txt into an IRC window. For that matter, I'd be doing something interesting instead of lurking this shithole.
>>
>>51568215
Demonoid used to have an awesome ebook collection, you could always find "obscure" books... Too bad it's dead )^:
>>
>>51568430
Ah but you're searching on IRC ? Go ask for some private trackers for ebooks on /ptg/.
>>
>>51567500
>I don't need my eyesight anyways
>60 percent lighter isn't significantly lighter
>I need bright colours so I don't let my ADHD mind wander
>Muh jack of all trades (master of none) devices!
>>
>>51568462

Bibliotik sucks. I've been through there before, and their selection is only slightly less questionable than anywhere else. Plus, it makes What.CD look like a magical land where ratio rains from the fucking sky.
>>
>>51568496
>Muh jack of all trades (master of none) devices!

I'm sorry, do you carry a cell phone, a point-and-shoot camera, an MP3 player, and a pager around with you?

I doubt it.
>>
>>51568496
>>60 percent lighter isn't significantly lighter

50/240g IS 60% HURRRR HOW DO I MATHS
>>
>>51568523
>Ipad
>680 grams
Fuck off.

>>51568516
All but the pager, but then again unlike you I guess I actually care about quality.
>>
>>51568645

I bet you own a Pono.
>>
>>51568645
that's how much it weighed 6 years ago retard. ipad mini 3 weighs 290g, the air 2 weighs 437g
>>
>>51568645
>I actually care about quality.

if you actually did you wouldn't be using a sub par device that can't even render a PDF properly if it isn't all text. not to mention needing to 'convert' 90% of material you download to formats the piece of shit won't choke itself on when you try to view the download on it
>>
>>51568964
You said Ipad.

Not "Ipad air" or "Ipad mini", Ipad.
>>
>>51568995
don't be fucking retarded. iPad always refers to the current model
>>
>>51569000
Well excuse me for not being in on your secret macfag lingo.
>>
>>51569042
no one can blame you for being poor except donald trump, and he would be right. it is your fault.
>>
>>51569133
>You are poor because you don't by overpriced crap
Only in your twisted little fantasy land could being rich equate to throwing your money away.
>>
>>51569151
go back to Mexico, illegal.
>>
>>51569167
Your baseless provocation won't work on me, I know my family history and it stretches back to the aristocracy and founders of my country, what about you? You are probably some low bred mongol from your utter lack of sense with money. Good goy, keep believing that rich people buy expensive trinkets all the time.
>>
>>51569227
No one gives a shit about India, brah. Poo in the loo.
>>
>>51569338
Stop /int/ posting on /g/.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.