[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Symbian literally still has features that Android and iOS are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 10
File: nokia-e7-1.jpg (78 KB, 600x575) Image search: [Google]
nokia-e7-1.jpg
78 KB, 600x575
Symbian literally still has features that Android and iOS are still trying to catch up with.

It was the perfect OS killed off by the biased nationalistic American technology press because "it's too hard". They conned the masses into buying inferior iPhones and Androids.

Now you're all fucked.
>>
sik b8

that phone actually looks cool tho. I want a cool slidely laptop looking phone

but with android. M80000
>>
like what OP
>>
>>51565096
Symbian was pretty gud, not quite as great as you are describing though.

Android and iOS really are shit-tier, though. Android has terrible optimisation (sounds like a meme but battery usage on Android is pants-on-head retarded, not to mention shitty software making insane SOCs perform worse than iPhones) while iOS makes doing the simplest things (like editing a document or opening a movie in a different application) extremely cumbersome, and sometimes even impossible.

I use both Android and iOS, but both have terrible deficiencies. My Android phone suddenly becomes a furnace in my pocket for no real reason, and my iPhone can't open files without fucking around with twenty different apps, and these things just leave me with a shit taste in my mouth that have me reaching for a real computer. And that's disappointing, because I KNOW the hardware is capable of opening a fucking tab without freezing, and I KNOW the hardware is capable of opening a .mkv without having to download the file into the video player app, but these things just make using a phone an all around shitty experience, and that's why every time I try to rely on a phone for even one second, I get burnt and immediately wish I had a computer at hand.

Please, somebody save mobile computing.
>>
>>51565223

Privacy
>>
>>51565319
/tread
>>
>>51565319
>Android and iOS really are shit-tier

Sad but true
>>
>>51565096
Symbian didn't have permission system like and Android and iOS, did it?
>>
File: nokia-n95-02.jpg (31 KB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
nokia-n95-02.jpg
31 KB, 500x272
This was a great phone in my late teens early 20's.
>>
I just want updated and supported meego/harmatton on an N9 with modern hardware. why is that too much to ask?
>>
>>51567215
Motherfucker that's the GOAT phone
>>
>>51567215

Shows that no matter how good something is, marketing always wins. Apple a shit.
>>
>>51567316
i really miss the designs.
>>
i really miss my e63, still works my house wont charge it though for whatever reason
>>
>>51565096
>Symbian has one or two features that android doesn't therefore its much better

so what? just because a jeep has seats that are more comfier than a Porsche does it mean that its much better when the Porsche buttwrecks it at everything else? I swear to god people like you should be getting the shit beaten out of.
>>
Is it foss?
>>
>>51569214
Nokia made Symbian FOSS and promised everything would be FOSS, then they were bought by Microsoft and canned most of the FOSS ideas, but most of Symbian was already FOSS then
>>
File: bbp.jpg (2 MB, 3136x3531) Image search: [Google]
bbp.jpg
2 MB, 3136x3531
>>51569191
>jeep to porsche
>:
>symbian to android
>>
>>51569226
So it was FOSS but MS manipulated the market?
>>
>>51569299
Kind of, Symbian was already quite dated by then, there's a reason Nokia started to develop Maemo
But MS canned Maemo
>>
>>51569327
Bet m$ shift + delete'd the whole symbian source directory
>>
>>51569229
it was just an example, I dunno much about cars.
>>
>>51569226

No, it's still FOSS. Only problem is that nobody wanted to take on the project. So much for Free Software "Community".

Same shit now with Mer and Nemo Mobile. 100% FOSS but none of the big talkers are contributing shit.
>>
File: hp-webos-touchpad.jpg (57 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
hp-webos-touchpad.jpg
57 KB, 640x420
I just wish webOS was still a thing (on phones and tablets)
it was the true mobile linux android never got to be
>>
>>51565319
>my android suddenly becomes a furnace in my pocket for no reason

I know that feel bro
>>
>>51569327
>>51569352

This is ahistorical bullshit. Maemo became MeeGo and Microsoft wasn't even in the picture when they started developing it.
>>
>not using BB10
>>
>>51569460
MS canned further development of MeeGo, replacing it with Windows Phone
>>
>>51569430
>So much for the community

Every time

Linux and FOSS is inhabited by windows transplants that want this "cool customization" they hear about handed to them on a platter

>SYSTEMD IS CANCER PLS GIVE ME AN EASY APT COMMAND TO INSTALL NOT-SYSTEMD
>CONTRIBUTE? FUCK NO :^)
>WAAAH THIS FOSS SOFTWARE IS SHIT FUKKEN AUTIST DEVS

but to be fair some major projects won't change even if you contribute to them, and if you fork it won't be used because they have brand recognition, and most of those windows transplants fall for it

>i installed debian. that means i'm a cool professional linux user that does real work now, right?
>>
>>51569501
>MS canned further development of MeeGo, replacing it with Windows Phone

BULLSHIT. NOKIA'S CEO CANNED IT BEFORE THERE WAS EVEN TALK OF SELLING THE COMPANY TO MICROSOFT.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-will-not-return-to-meego-even-if-n9-turns-out-to-be-a-hit-says-stephen-elop/
>>
>>51569609
Stephen Elop was a Microsoft operative m8
>>
>>51565319
This, absolutely this!
>>
>>51569528

Mer and Nemo are brilliant though. They deserve contribution https://twitter.com/nemomobile
>>
>>51567215
Aww yeah. Ridiculously thick but nicely made, features seems crazy at the time. Slider still nice and crisp even after playing with it hundreds of times

>>51567487
Nokia a shit. Just like Blackberry they failed to evolve
>>
>>51569851

muh meme opinion
>>
I wish Nokia was still around to make the mobile phones so that there could be alternative designs. Win 10 seems like a really good OS for mobile, but the phones themselves are unimpressive, not to mention there will be all sorts of compatibility issues and missing apps.

I guess there's Sailfish, but the phone isn't very good. Maybe some day they'll be good.
>>
Am I the only one who misses the old sony erricson phones?
They dominated the bar shape phones their menu's were intuitive, fast and reliable (nokia tried to do the same thing but they had a timeout so you had to press a key within 2 seconds or you were stock with the arrow keys).
It had good settings and had vastly better battery life even though the batteries were worse back then.
If it had a better app store and better hardware, it would be a better OS than android will ever be.

Things like turning the phone on when an alarm is set, select a mp3 song as notification and have it automatically cropped down so it didn't play the whole song, things like editing what gestures does so it is optimized for the user.

If they still made phones like that I would buy them.
>>
>>51569851
>Ridiculously thick
Why?
It was a lot more ergonomic to hold than the current phones.
>>
>>51570610
>Am I the only one who misses the old sony erricson phones?

No, you're not. They were just as brilliant. Excellent designs.
>>
symbian was shit when the smartphone era started
that nokia E7 in OP's pic had better specs than Nokia N900 which had debian based linux distro called Maemo
E7 was laggy piece of shit and it's web browsing capabilities were shit
N900 could flawlessly multitask and even have youtube backround play on inside the firefox browser
>>
>>51571103
>had better specs than Nokia N900

Absolute fucking lie. N900's Cortex-A8 and PowerVR SGX530 were superior.

>when the smartphone era started

US media meme. The smartphone era started 10 years before the first iPhone.
>>
>>51571234
wew lad. I know that thinking that the iPhone was the first smartphone is stupid, but 10 years?
>>
>>51565319
>every time I try to rely on a phone for even one second, I get burnt and immediately wish I had a computer at hand.
This so much
>>
>>51565096
Symbian had great battery life, but other than that it wasn't that good.
It had bugs and a shitty UI and poor app installation and security.
>>
File: BlackberryPassportRed.png (616 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
BlackberryPassportRed.png
616 KB, 1280x720
>>51565319
>Please, somebody save mobile computing.
They tried. They solved most of Android ills without ios retardation. Noone cared.
>>
>>51571411

Sounds like iOS and Android
>>
>>51571492
Those don't have great battery life though and t.b.h. the UI on Android isn't that bad.
>>
>>51565096
Do you have any idea how it was to develop an app for it? That OS was internet explorer material.
>>
I still use Symbian on an 808. I won't switch to iOS/Android. Maybe BB if they're still alive when my tank dies.
>>
>>51565319
Windows Phone 10
>>
>>51565319
>iOS makes doing the simplest things extremely cumbersome, and sometimes even impossible.
Holy shit this.
I had to use an ipad for work, it was used to control audio equipment.
I had to save an mp3 to said ipad to play it during the show.
>try long pressing link for menu
>no save option
>try opening the link
>it plays in browser but no way to save
>google "how to save mp3 on ipad"
>oh you cant do it m8, connect it to mac and use itunes
>great but I don't have any computer nearby
>google more
>download dropbox it will let you save mp3
>wat.jpg this doesn't make sense
>download anyway
>dropbox really lets you save mp3s when installed
>but they're saved to dropbox and you can't play them from ipad's music software unless they're in its music library
>no way to add a file to music library
Apple used to make such intuitive computers, why do they make their mobile os that retarded.
>>
>>51571520
>t.b.h. the UI on Android isn't that bad.
this isn't true at all
>>
>>51571490
That is the most gorgeous phone I've ever seen
>>
>>51571564
What's so bad about it?
Also keep in mind Android UI can be many things.
I'm using regular CM and frankly it's alright. They just complicated some things in 5.x (switching to silent/vibration).
>>
>>51565096
Keep telling yourself that. Symbian was a perfectly fine dumbphone OS and nothing more.
It was killed by Nokia's staggering ineptitude.
>>
>>51571490
why is it that everytime I tried to mess with a blackberry phone at a store, I literally had no idea on how to function with that shit? literally didn't know how to do. and I can use android/ios/windows without any hassle at all.

pretty qt phone tho. looks like the phone Taylor swift would use if she wasn't such a basic bitch.
>>
>>51572026
>why is it that everytime I tried to mess with a blackberry phone at a store, I literally had no idea on how to function with that shit?
what do you mean by that?
THe OS is gesture based, it shows you a quick tutorial whn yo first open it, after you learn the basic "swipe up to go back to home screen, swipe down for menu, swipe up and right for your communication", it's realy fluid and fun to use
>>
>>51565319
>Please, somebody save mobile computing.
http://f-droid.org/
Ghost Commander and VLC are your friends.
>>
>>51571989

>I will call it dumb because it's not Andeoid/iOS

Stay pleb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone
>>
>>51565319
>>51569632
>>51571552
Lmao just install file manager, does everything you want. Are you really too stupid to use an iphone?
>>
3 years ago nokia released symbian based nokia 808 that could take 41MP pictures and it had 512MB ram and single core cpu
now phones with 8core cpu and 3gb ram can't process that kind of images
now phones are getting dumber and dumber
>>
File: kylsa[1].jpg (75 KB, 1161x777) Image search: [Google]
kylsa[1].jpg
75 KB, 1161x777
I literally just ordered this.
>>
>>51572874

JavaOS can't compete
>>
File: 1.jpg (71 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
71 KB, 1280x719
u-um...h-hello you guise...
>>
>>51572874
meant to reply to this
>>51573020
>>
>>51573044
>nokia 808
>>51573020

How's the 808 community these days?
>>
>>51571490
I'm gonna get this in a fortnight, how much will I regret buying it?
>>
>>51573153

I've also lusted after it.
>>
>>51565319
what android phone are you talking about? buy better one please and don't waste peoples time.
>>
>>51565319
>the only hope for the mobile market is wangblows "noapps" phone and and the other 59 arbitary Android wannabees
Feels bad man
>>
>>51572221
Please be kidding
>>
>>51572874
yeah I have one of those. Another great feature was the 2-3 day battery life, and the lag-free interface. The keyboards were a bit crap. It had a special GPU to handle the camera, which is why it was able to do the supersampled pureview shots so quickly.

The camera was a bit of a bear, though. Slow autofocus, and the bundled software didn't give you full control over shutter speed and the like. I personally enjoyed shooting with it, and got some astounding results.

>>51571490
You can thank the people who killed Symbian for killing Blackberry, too.

Maybe I should get one of these before it's too late. Android is fucking trash, iOS is worse, and WP is everything that is bad about both.
>>
>>51573272
>Another great feature was the 2-3 day battery life

>2-3 day battery life
>Great feature

fucking smartphones, god damnit
>>
>>51565096
What phone is that? It's glorious.
>>
so I still don't understand why do you bunch of hipster fucks think Symbian is better than android/ios/WP
>>
>>51565319

just root an android. fix what you dont like.
>>
>>51575256
Does rooting allows me to throw out the ridiculous idea to run a virtual machine on something supposed to be an embedded device?

Fuck off.
>>
>>51573535
Nokia E7.
>>
>>51575283

iOS does not do this.
>>
>>51575325
I am aware of this.
>>
>>51575325
>anon throws true facts against lagdroid to you
>b-b-but-t iOS can't do it either xDDD lelelele le joked on you heheh :^)

get >>>/out/
>>
>>51575283
...and that makes a difference because? grow the fuck up.
>>
>>51565319
Google's fixing Android battery problems with Doze, a feature to control wakelocks and alarms, preventing them from waking the cpu from the deep sleep state.

In the past, you could've just used amplify.
>>
>>51575521
>because?
Performance loss
Resource loss
Battery power loss
>>
>>51572761
Will it allow me to long click an mp3 in safari and save it so it's immediately visible in the music app?
Because I'm guessing it won't.
>>
>>51565548
By
>privacy
do you mean
>lack of botnet
?
>>
Already 7 years ago, Nokia Symbian devices came with 32GB internal storage as standard + microsd support. iPhones still doesn't have microsd support and starts at 16gb for "high end" hardware.
>>
>>51573153
i use to but its a 1:1 aspec ratio and its pretty expensive
>>
>>51575283
Wut?
>>
S60 is a complete fucking mess. I hated my old Symbian phone. It is probably possible to make something good with Symbian, but the way Nokia handled it was pretty crappy.

Android and iOS is shit too.

Lately been curious about trying WebOS and Sailfish OS, but I'm more interested in getting an old plain Nokia, Ericsson, or Siemens with a two-tone display. Only good thing about newer phones is that you don't really have to limit how many text messages or contacts you have, and you can send text messages longer than 160 characters.
>>
>>51565319

Ever tried Windows™ Phone™?
>>
>>51573153
You won't
>>
My nokia 7650 had
Infrared, file transfer and there was an app for remote control
Copy, paste function
Text editor could open and edit any (non read only) file, not just txt
Mms

Obviously it was limited by lack of external storage, later 3650 model fixed that
>>
>>51571536
I have a 808 as well. Haven't been treating it as well as I should over the years and now it's pretty worn out. Thinking of getting a new phone, either a new 808 or the lumia 950. I care about the camera more than anything else, wish someone could compare the 950's with the 808's so I can determine if its a worthy successor or not. I really don't want a downgrade after getting used to the 808.

>>51573122
There was some photograph-oriented pureview community that I kept an eye on back when 808 and 1020 were hot stuff. I looked it up recently and it was completely dead.
>>
>>51567215
People I know with N95s replaced them with another N95. One guy was on his third N95 last time we talked.
>>
>>51579774
why not get a Lumia 1020? its far cheaper than the 950 and will probably wreck the 808 at everything with ease anyways, especially given the incoming W10 update.

that being said, Microsoft did say the 950 could take better pics than the 1020. which is likely to be true, as both the 1020 and the 808 are pretty dated as of now, especially the latter.
>>
>>51579995
>why not get a Lumia 1020?

Partly because I've heard anecdotes about the 1020's camera performance being worse than the 808's (and as I said, I'm more interested in the camera than anything else), partly because I'm ready for that extra investment if I'm going to purchase a new phone. If I decide to purchase another phone I would like it to be either what I'm familiar with or something up to date that can hold on for a few years. I can't say that I have seriously considered the 1020 though, maybe I should.
>>
File: 35463543218.jpg (5 KB, 239x211) Image search: [Google]
35463543218.jpg
5 KB, 239x211
>>51565319
>Have an ongoing joke with a friend that involves drawing on pictures of each other with ms paint brushes
>Only have my phone on me
>Long press, copy image
>Try to find an app like ms paint
>There literally is not one
>Try some of the suggested doodle apps
>Can't paste
>Google it
>Neither Android or iOS support pasting images
How the fuck do they miss such basic things
How did either of these OS's even become popular
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.