[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Way of code monkey. /g/ There is no guide on wiki how to escape
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 41gCSRxxVeL.jpg (29 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
41gCSRxxVeL.jpg
29 KB, 500x431
Way of code monkey.

/g/
There is no guide on wiki how to escape code monkey life.

Do we have people that were working in enterprise buisness and managed to quit and find interesting job?

What is first step?
Knuth and sicp?

h-help me /g/
>>
I'm in the same boat but I have a math background as well. I would love to know.
>>
op here bump
I have math background as well
calculus 1,2, linear algebra, discrete math, statistics etc.
>>
>>51543776
Don't stay at the same job for more than two years. You're skills will get stale and will be hard to market

Best bet is just moving to the west coast and networking with startup culture. 3 people at the startup I'm at have left for management/lead positions in the past month
>>
>>51543776
Its really easy, avoid enterprise languages like Java/C#, avoid C++. Start with C, get familiar with a little asm, dabble in a couple of functional languages learn algorithms/data structures, learn some *nix systems programming and you'll be safe.
>>
>>51544486
I have an entire math undergrad worth of background. Grad school is open I suppose. My primary background in CS is low level architecture stuff so I am not stranger to C and asm. Hopefully I can combine these and market them before/after/if I return to academia.
>>
>>51544666
I know basic C (I can program, but I am far from being master) and I know x86, I can write float calc or gui based program, simple RE etc.

but I feel like I am missing big pictrue and afer 3 months of work with .NET I know what I do not want to do for living. It is really nice and comfy language and after some practice job is easy as fuck, but 40h/week for next 40 years of this shit is not for me.

Thats why I was asking about the more technical part of programming where math is important.
>>
>>51544956
Damn, you sound like you are fresh out of school like me. I take my job as a starter job but at night I am working towards in general gitting gud. We can hopefully both make it.
>>
Here is my plan.

- Switch jobs often, but not too often (3-4 year range).
- Work really hard and do well (but don't work in unreasonable conditions like 80 hour workweeks).
- Keep your lifestyle modest and save invest very aggressively. I'm talking about 60-70% of net pay saved and invested.

If you do this, you may be financially independent (aka, you have enough money saved up and invested that you can live off the "interest" indefinitely) in your 40s or even 30s. 1.5mill in bank = withdraw $52.5k a year indefinitely. (I'm using a 3.5% rule, many talk about a 4% rule but that was designed to last only 30 years, not indefinitely)

Then, you may retire early, or you are free to do whatever you want.
>>
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 680x680
>>51544568
>west coast
>>
>>51544568
I'm surprised you're employed at all not knowing the difference between your and you're
>>
>>51544568
startups are gay
>>
File: 2015-11-26_17-17-13.png (22 KB, 671x589) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-26_17-17-13.png
22 KB, 671x589
>>51545165 here

By the way, check out this graphic. This isn't completely true since it's assuming your spending won't go up after you retire (it probably will if you have nothing to do all day).
>>
>>51543776
why don't you read more about a specific topic you find interesting or feel you lack knowledge about that area?
then you can google a book about it
>>
>>51544568
Several months off from the 2nd year mark in a .NET shop. I'm beginning to hate it here. BS in CS with double major in math.t

I'm in the fucking swamp in Lafayette Louisiana and I've been thinking of going west to Seattle or SF or LA and find a startup. Any tips?
>>
>>51543776
start with SICP

>>51545165
What are you planning on investing in
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.