[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: y55XtVr.jpg (42 KB, 423x734) Image search: [Google]
y55XtVr.jpg
42 KB, 423x734
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

Although it is recommended to install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes", it is better to try the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a full Linux experience.

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), use it exclusively for 2 weeks, avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, (although maybe wine can make up for it.)

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
/r/linux4noobs
/r/linuxquestions
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
>>51371305
FIRST
>>
I installed opensuse last night and I've been jizzing all over the place since
>>
>>51371315
YES! YES! I GOT IT! FIRST! YES!
Also, third.
huehuehuehue
>>
>>51371321
my girlfriend installed openSUSE too; I was the one jizzing that day, though.
>>
>>51371335
nice
>>
>>51371335
your mom installed openSUSE too; I was the one jazzing that day as well
>>
>>51371341
I jazz every day. It's good for your soul.
>>
Reopstan

>>51371279
Windows 7.

My whole configuration is kinda weird, sda is an old drive with data, but its in ntfs, sdb is the dual boot HDD.
>>
>>51371348
this thread is starting well.
>>
>>51371375
Maybe your partition is a bit weird. Have you tried to generate another fstab?
>>
>>51371429
How do I do that? also, I set it up like this because by default other partitions in xubuntu are mounted in /media/ which makes them show up the desktop, so I made them mount in /mnt
>>
I've completely installed and configured Infinality as the wiki say, the font rendering is perfect, but sometimes in Firefox, when a website uses a font that doesn't redirect ttf-Dejavu (my only Infinality font), I can force Dejavu for every fonts in Firefox, but it's buggy for some websites, wat do?
Also, my x220 battery isn't well detected by acpi and UPower, so the remaining battery time does not shows up.
>>
>>51371543
Get some more fonts. Having everything set to the same one isn't going to look nice.
Enable thinkpad-acpi module and install tpacpi-bat
>>
>>51371599
Thanks, the battery now works, but are ibfonts-meta packages enough to cover almost all websites fonts?
>>
>>51371599
>>51371818
Everything looks perfect.
>>
When I have a separate home partition and I'm logged in as root, is the root's home directory on the home partition? Also, for scripts that should be in the home directory, do programs always access the script that's in the logged in user's home directory or root's?
>>
>>51371923
roots home dir is in /root
>>
Has anyone managed to install dnscrypt on Ubuntu or any systemd distro?
>>
What's the best way to set up *bongo with Openbox?

Install with the minimal CD or install Lubongo then Openbox or install Ubungo or Xubongo then Openbox?

Also is minimal the equivalent to netinst?
>>
>>51371956
Minimal is the bare essentials to get a working system. Everything else is on you.
>>
>>51372236
The way I see it, wouldn't the deps just get pulled in anyway? So how would it be worse than a bloated up vanilla distro unless the deps that are added are bloat, which wouldn't make sense

In other words, if I want Openbox and FF and vim that's all I would get (along with the deps) in theory
>>
>>51372421
Yes. With a full, you get all the associated bloat that goes with a full DE
>>
>>51372439
I don't get why more people don't just do a nigging minimal install with their favourite wm then

Why are there so many damn threads asking how to install Openbox on Ubuntu or Xubuntu
>>
>Linux for an architect

Thoughts? I don't want to run every cad program trough wine. I want to switch to Linux but I'm afraid that I'll have problems running stuff.
>>
>>51372468
Blender.
>>
I need a nice download manager for Xubuntu. Firefox download manager doesn't quite cut it.

I used Internet Download Manager previously on Windows, but it doesn't seem that IDM is there for Linux.
>>
>>51372506
Really, what do you need a download manager for that the stock one in Firefox doesn't "cut it" ?
>>
>>51372467
Because minimal install requires an Internet connection during the installation, which is hard to get when using a laptop.
>>
>>51372495
I don't think Blender would be fit for professional-grade modelling/rendering.
>>
>>51372516
>The one that can download file in parts (so the download speeds up).
>The one that can resume a download even after a system reboot.
>>
>>51372531
>professional-grade
Better go with a Mac senpai.
>>
>>51372558
Or the Autodesk suite on Windows?
>>
>>51372540
>>The one that can download file in parts (so the download speeds up).
Literally placebo. Not even joking. That is literally placebo.
>>The one that can resume a download even after a system reboot.
This depends on the server that you're downloading.
>>
>>51371305
How can I configure mpv to get quality at least near MPC+MadVR? Is there any preset for anime available?
>>
>>51372612
Why don't you just read the mpv wiki, it's quite extensive.
>>
>>51372591
>Literally placebo. Not even joking. That is literally placebo.
W-what?

>This depends on the server that you're downloading.
This also depends on the download manager. See Chrome's download manager for example.
>>
>>51372506
Downthemall?
Its been available since ff came out 15 years ago
>>
>>51372506
wget/gwget ?
>>
>>51371543
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162098
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Infinality-bundle+fonts
>>
>>51372664
You don't download a file faster just because it gets split into smaller files.
You will still need 5m for the file, regardless if you download 30 "parts" or the one as a whole. There is literally no benefit.

>This also depends on the download manager. See Chrome's download manager for example.
But, unless you change the settings, Firefox's download manager does that too. Actually, the only thing you mustn't do to make that work is to not delete the download history and cookies.
>>
>>51372711
Thanks, I'll try this one.

>>51372721
>wget
Please, FF download manager is better than this.
>>
>>51371543
>my only Infinality font
>wat do?
Install more fonts
>>
that memerpic is so wrong, systemd is init, by init he actually means systemv
>>
>>51372588
Yeah I'm currently using that+cinema4d but I'm talking about stuff on Linux. I've only used linux for a short time so I'm pretty much a newb here.
>>
>>51372558
No, no Mac. I know many people are using it for archi stuff but nah.
>>
>>51372887
DraftSight has a Linux client and can use dwg files, if you need autodesk compatibility.
>>
>>51373248
Thanks for recommendation. I'll check it out
>>
>>51373299
I don't know if it matters to you, but DraftSight users get free access to this catalog of drawings.
http://www.tracepartsonline.net/%28S%28c1npvste11jokil221e5cbvc%29%29/content.aspx?fwsid=DRAFTSIGHT&Lang=&P=
>>
>>51372836
First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.
>>
>>51373627
how the fuck is that shit even defined well-written? That clusterfuck is just a replacement for the existing components, a second solution to a non existing problem. Coupling the components tightly means:
>rebooting on upgrade: because fuck servers and their availability requisites
>Running as PID1: because if systemd crashes, then everything must crash, according to poettering.
>attack surface: why having many well maintained time-tested executables if we can have a giant clusterfuck of fuck knows what?
>binary logs: I don't have to explain this one, I suppose.
And I didn't even start to mention that this shit is absorbing everything.
I'm a software engineer, and I'm not working in the linux area, but fuck it, - it is so evident that systemd is a really, really badly written project. It should be rewritten with modularity in mind, if someone retains this to be necessary.
>>
>>51373870
>It should be rewritten with modularity in mind
It's already modular.
>>
>>51373870
It's not 2004 anymore, rebooting a server shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>51373870
>I'm a software engineer, and I'm not working in the linux area
>I'm not working in the linux area
Codeword for "I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, but this makes me mad and I want to replay some memes I've overheard from other clueless retards".
>>
>>51373896
yeah? try to use systemD init without the other components of its ecosystem. Or vice versa, try to use all the components of systemd but one. See what happens.
>>51373916
Well, to know how to build a software architecture one does not need to know a particular implementation, but the theorical concepts lying behind it.
>>51373913
You have never set a foot near a server, don't you?
>>
There are a couple of things that are holding me off from switching to GnuLinux full time:
1. a dvb program like dvbviewer
2. a "video stream server" like Air Video HD (no Plex, pls)

Last time I checked there haven't been any real replacements on Linux, but I hoped it would be a matter of time.
Have there been any developments?
>>
>>51373961
>try to use systemD init without the other components of its ecosystem
no problem there
>try to use all the components of systemd but one
no problem there either
>See what happens.
I did. You clearly didn't because you're just spewing memes.
>one does not need to know a particular implementation
then stop talking about stuff you don't have a clue
>>
>>51373974
you can stream with ffmpeg
>>
>>51374024
yeah, ffmpeg is really good, but it has no timeshift function. DVBviewer is a nice all-in-one package. On linux, there is tvheadend, which I still have to get into.
>>
>>51373974
1. tvheadend + kodi
2. emby (+ kodi)
>>
>>51374081
also, there's mythtv for a self-contained system with dvb support, but kodi makes a better media center, so people tend to use myth as a tv backend to kodi nowadays
>>
>>51374081
thanks! This is the first time I'm hearing about emby. looking good :)
>>
>>51374022
I did too. The first time my server did not even boot. The second time, - well, all of us know what gnome did there with logind. I tried to run gnome 3.16 in gentoo without logind, - it was quite a mess. A less known example would be journald, - how do you run systemd without it? You cant, which make it monolithic. And, since you don't have evidence for what you just said, I call bullshit.
Do YOU know the particular implemenation of systemd?
>>
>>51373961
>You have never set a foot near a server, don't you?
Have you ? Retarded uptime-reboot-once-per-year is just an idiotic circlejerk.
>>
>>51374132
I'm near one in this very moment. Not a single reboot since I work here. Debian oldstable, without systemd. Rock fucking solid OS.
>>
>>51374151
>>51374132
I'm sure yet another argument about systemd will a) change each others' minds, b ) change our minds, and c) change it from being default in nearly all distros.
>>
>>51374151
Well, if you don't care about it being old or "unstable" then you can just not update systemd.
>>
>>51371482
>>51358086
>>
>>51374105
yea, i somewhat recently heard of it as well (about a month or so before they changed their name from mediabrowser to emby)

i was looking for nicer ways to make kodi work in a multi-device/multi-user setup, kodi kinda-sorta can be used like this via the use of an external database (mysql), but it's not supported and kinda finicky
then i stumbled upon mediabrowser (emby) and that took care of everything, still using kodi, but just as a frontend, it's emby which takes care of the library/users/watched status for me now
>>
>>51374191
well, sorry for derailing. I just can't stand systemD and all the other poetteringware, - I use linux since I was 16, and not a single problem ensued which was not caused by polkit/pulseaudio/consolekit and, recently, systemd (excluding situations I created by myself).
So, I believe that software written with explicit intent to be obscure and hard to decouple and be analyzed, let alone understood - deserves no praise.
>>51374216
"Debian oldstable"
lrn2read
>>
>>51374130
>The first time my server did not even boot
>server
>The second time, - well, all of us know what gnome did there with logind
>gnome on server
I call bullshit. You clearly don't have a clue about what the fuck you're doing.
>I tried to run gnome 3.16 in gentoo
Autistic fuck.
>>
>>51374262
>hurr durr gentoo meme
Are you really this pathetic?
>>
I know /g/ dislikes Ubuntu because of Unity, which is a fair reason, but what about the buntus which don't use unity? I'm thinking about using Ubuntu Mate full time on my laptop but is there something I should know first about Ubuntu?
>>
>>51374284
>admitting gentoo is a meme
kek
>>
>>51374284
Are you maybe ?
>server
>full fledged DE
>with fucking gentoo
>>
>>51374262
People have more than one machine, you know?
Centos 7 on server was awful. The 6 was far, far better. If debian had no systemd by default, it would be the only valid choice for hassle-free server.
Gnome 3.16 was tried in a vm, which was an exact replica of my actual OS on my laptop.
also
>hurr durr le gentoo meme u r autistic
Am I really the one you are claiming being ignorant?
>>
>>51374297
Yeah, that's clearly the implication he was making.
>>
>>51374296
ubuntu is fine, some with argue their preferred distro for having things they like, such as "fedora has newer packages!" or "arch is rolling release!" or "gentoo can be installed!" or "debian is what ubuntu's based on so you might as well use that for reasons!" or "mint has better defaults!"
but when all's said, ubuntu is fine.
it's fine.
>>
Why does dd use if= and of= instead of -i and -o like every other unix command?
I would guess it's because of historical reasons, but it's still weird.
>>
>>51374317
>full blown damage control
>If debian had no systemd by default
>by default
>too dumb to apt-get install sysvinit-core
>>
>>51374353
from wikipedia;
>"The name dd may be an allusion to the DD statement found in IBM's Job Control Language (JCL),[3] where the initials stand for "Data Description."[4] The command's syntax resembles the JCL statement more than it does other Unix commands, so the syntax may have been a joke.[3]"
>>
>>51374345
I think people dislike Ubuntu either because of Canonical or because apt works in strange ways and will install the recommended packages by default for some reason.
>>
>>51372758
Isn't that the theory behind torrenting though?
>>
>>51374362
But that's what I fukken did!
I'm pretty much able to run my home server with debian -systemd, but I'm advocating for those people who are too retarded to follow a guide; the ones who consider gentoo to be a meme; the ones who are the majority, sadly.
>>
>>51374378
from what i've seen, the negatives i've seen mostly boil down to;
- disliking canonical
- things that are common to all debian-based systems (that is, not ubuntu-specific)

there's the amazon ad thing, but that's more just about canonical than ubuntu, since you can remove it or avoid it (it only comes with (came with?) the default/unity releases)
>>
>>51374415
>since you can remove it or avoid it
This isn't really a solution. If you dislike canonical for the amazon stuff they did, of course you can remove it or disable it but if you distrust a corporation already then why would you suddenly trust them for everything else? You have no way of knowing that the binary packages they provide you are exactly the same as the source code they publish or say they use.
>>
>>51374459
Just rebuild them.
>>
>>51374480
What's the point in using ubuntu if you're going to do that? It's not particularly easy to compile every single package manually and replace everything your package manager provided.
>>
>>51374377
And then nobody changed it, everybody got used to it and it became standard. That sounds like a very bad reason.
>>
>>51374494
>It's not particularly easy
It is.
>>
>>51374521
So you suggest manually rebuilding every package on your system from source and replacing everything that ubuntu provided?
>>
>>51374387
torrenting works like that because it splits up the strain of uploading files. Trying to do the same thing while downloading files from a single website isn't going to do anything.
>>
>>51374494
just use gentoo, then :^)
Seriously, though: go for debian. Less bullshit, more packages.
>>
File: IMG_20150109_123244.jpg (2 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150109_123244.jpg
2 MB, 2432x4320
Thinking of trying to run games in a virtual machine using pcie passthough. how easy is this to do. i have a spare graphics card. ill probably use some kind of ubuntu. videos on youtube show people playing games like gta v and AC black flag on linux with great performance. it it a case of plugging the card in and selecting it from a menu or will it take ages and 100s of terminal commands to get it running? fallout 4 is the only thing holding me back from using linux
>>
>>51374547
No. I don't give a fuck what you do.
>>
>>51374556
That's the point, you can never fully trust binary distros but if a corporation already gives you reason to not trust them then there is even less of a reason to make that leap of faith.
At least debian is making some steps at creating reproducible builds.

>>51374579
Great argument hun.
>>
any baby tier distro with wayland on by default? i want to try it out but dont want kill myself doing some configs
>>
Do I need to tell people I use Linux if I use Linux? Even if they don't ask and I don't know them?
>>
>>51374603
You have to tell everyone
>>
>>51374502
welcome to unix, where 70's jokes and limitations become honored standards
>>
I was planning on building a new computer. Currently I use Arch. One of my friends told me even if my board supported going to 64gb of RAM, I wouldn't be able to use it all.

Is 64gb overkill and I should stick with 32gb, or was he memeing and I can go all the way up and be fine.
>>
>>51374569
it's not (yet) a simple process, no, though it's getting easier

you will need some linux experience to get through it cleanly
>>
Whenever I start kdenlive or cinerella (video editing software) on Arch, they crash. This is the terminal output for kdenlive:
Fontconfig warning: "local.conf", line 17: invalid co
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/li
(libmovit.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No
ory)
Invalid playlist
Removing cache at "/home/username/.cache/kdenlive-thumb
s.kcache"
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

What's wrong?
>>
>>51374636
Why do you think you would need even 32gb of ram?
>>
>>51374592
hannah montana linux (wish i was joking)
>>
>>51374643
muh gaymes
>>
>>51374569
Easy if you have the right hardware. First you need a CPU that supports IOMMU: most intel K cpus don't support it (exception being the skylake cpus, devil's canyon cpus and 2011+ cpus), check ark.intel.com; AMD cpus have it. Second, you need a motherboard that supports it: asus ones are generally shit and various bios updates break it/make it work again, most gigabyte cards work, all asrock work. AMD cards are more straightforward to get working in a VM than consumer NVIDIA cards but you shouldn't have a show-stopper either way.
Software wise, if you're running a 3.16 kernel you won't have any problems. Plenty of guides on the web on how to set it up (find a recent one, if it advises to patch the kernel or patch qemu, it's seriously out-of-date). Probably 2 commands to run from the terminal during the setup, the rest is handled by virt-manager's gui.
>>
>>51374646
hang on, maybe it was rebecca black linux that went wayland

i forget
>>
>>51372898
>>51372887
Blender.
There is a remork of Blender to support double floating point. Aka what every archi I know cry over for some reason.
Honestly asking btw why the fuck it matter.

>ib4: Blender not professional grade opinion
it's bullshit, do you listen to bullshit? A tool is a tool, you don't need a faicom hammer to know how to wield a hammer.
>>
>>51374646
nope
>>
>>51371305
Alright, I updated Xubuntu to the latest version, and now my theme is gone from gtk-window-decorator. Is there an alternative that behaves nicely or a tool that'll let me set the theme correctly? I used to set it by changing the theme key for org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences with dconf, but they depreciated it and didn't want to tell anyone how to set it correctly.
>>
>>51374024
>>51374066
My 2 cents: ffmpeg is great to stream if it's not a heavy ass thing.
I got to confess to /g/, I play Dota2 and it's shit even to simply record the thing.

YET, it's likely my trash tier computer (+10yo)

But wasn't there a GPU-accelerated OSS streamer? I recall something about that. Will dig.
>>
>>51374653
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/x86/x86_64/mm.txt
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/116640/what-is-maximum-ram-supportable-by-linux
>>
>>51374592
doesn't Fedora have it?

just not by default. I think you can select it on the login screen.
>>
>>51374841
Fedora is pretty much the only option but it's broken anyways.

Wayland currently is not mature enough to be an X replacement, lots of functionalities are missing.
>>
Using ls and mplayer to watch torrented movies is messy, is there some better way to organise and maybe autograb covers/subs etc?
>>
>>51374836
So the short answer is he was memeing and I can go as high as I'd like since no motherboard I'm able to buy can support the RAM limit.

Now the other question. How overkill is 32gb? Is it worth it to go to 64gb?
>>
>>51374949
>Now the other question. How overkill is 32gb? Is it worth it to go to 64gb?
For what fucking purpose?
For browsing facebook? Humongous overkill
For typing out office documents? Humongous overkill
For work? Will be okay, depending on the rest of the build.
>>
File: 1436476725227.jpg (112 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1436476725227.jpg
112 KB, 640x480
So I am trying to set up Deadbeef in Fedora 23. My problem is getting a library set up and connected to my music collection on my fileserver.

Anyone have an idea on getting it working?
>>
>>51375113
mount your fileserver as a local directory
point deadbeef to the directory
>>
>>51375113
What do you mean? Deadbeef doesn't really use libraries, unless you mean the file browser plugin.
>>
>>51375129
What do you mean by this? I have it mounted via smb right now.
>>
I want to switch from os x to linux, so I installed ubuntu 15.10. yesterday and noticed, that my speakers and headphones are not detected by ubuntu. the internal sound is working and i did the ubuntuusers-sound-troubleshooting. everything is unmuted in the alsamixer and my soundcard seems to be detected too. any ideas how to solve this problem? thanks in advance
>>
Lubuntu vs Xubuntu
>>
>>51375155
You are probably connected to an smb server.
I'm talking about mounting it locally, so you can access it from the terminal
>>
>>51375164
yes
>>
>>51375164
google has your answer.
try it
it's good.
>>
>>51375157
make sure it is up to date, and that any necessary proprietary (additional) drivers are installed and enabled.
>>
What do you do with dev packages?

I just built ffmpeg and it required a ton of dev packages. Do people just leave it there or what?
My OCD tells me I should clean all of it up, but I dunno.
>>
>>51375146
Yes, I am using the file browser plugin. Is there a real "library" plugin that works like foobar?

>>51375172
I guess I am not sure what you mean.
>>
>>51375206
You leave them there, your package manager deals with dependencies. You can try removing orphans, maybe some of them were just build dependencies rather than runtime dependencies.

Why did you build it, just out of interest?
>>
>>51375218
>Is there a real "library" plugin that works like foobar?
No, deadbeef isn't a library player. Take a look at something else if you need that kind of functionality, quodlibet, gmusicbrowser, mpd+cantata
>>
>>51375224
I'm on debian and debian has old packages.

I rarely build anything, though. I just needed some newer features in ffmpeg. (Also because stupid debian is using avtools instead)
>>
File: brendan-fraser-2012-gi.jpg (29 KB, 320x380) Image search: [Google]
brendan-fraser-2012-gi.jpg
29 KB, 320x380
Recently my Debian 8.2 Jessie has been uninstalling programs randomly. It's just small things like gedit disappearing, or the archive manager one time. Does anyone know the source of this? Is it worth reformatting?
>>
How do I make Dolphin change its icon theme to my chosen theme in Xfce? I understand that problem is probably that I dont use KDE..
>>
>>51375291
XFCE is a GTK environment, dolphin is a Qt tool.
Your only option is to find your icon theme for KDE/Qt
>>
>>51375281
Look at your repositories in sources.list. Use your head to diagnose what's wrong with it.
>>
>>51375240
Cantata wants to install a bunch of kde-based files. I am running Gnome, and don't want to have kde-based stuff installed alongside it. Is there a GTK3-based mpd frontend?
>>
Would increasing the RAM of a Jessie box lead to smoother Plex playback/transcoding?

Currently at 3 GB in a KVM setup.
>>
>>51375325
No idea, possibly. Unless you're running gentoo and have to build it all, there's no problem installing some qt stuff, it's literally just a few mb on your drive.
>>
my soundcard seems to be Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset, where do I find suitable drivers for it?
>>
>>51375325
Qt is not KDE
>>
>>51375320
Would an issue with that really be enough to uninstall programs with updates?
>>
>>51375343
Your package manager of course.
>>
>>51375357
No my silly friend.
Debian devs are just too inept to conceive a working package manager.
It's not a secret that apt is just fucking trash
>>
>>51375357
Yes, because of conflicts between versions of packages in different repositories.
>>
>>51375342
>>51375351
No, it wants to install a bunch of kdelibs, kate, kde-settings, and kde-apps-rpm-macros
>>
>>51375388
I'm just going to install Ubuntu Gnome.
>>
>>51374949
>my friend says it's overkill
>what do you think guys? was he memeing?
>my friend was memeing. do you guys think 64gb is overkill?
have you ever looked at how much RAM youre using? 32gb is probably overkill for what you're doing

spending the money on a SSD would be better for what you want
>>
after installing ubuntu on my samsung np3000e5c laptop i can no longer boot from live usbs, they are not detected even tho i can acess the boot menu, it seems to now use UEFI and i don't know how to acess the UEFI options, pressing f2 used to boot BIOs setting but now takes me into grub2. how do i get it to recognise live usbs?
>>
Are tiling window managers a meme or actually useful?
>>
>>51375157
Do you remember if you checked the box that says "install third-party apps and drivers" or whatever during the install?

If trying that doesn't work you should look up what brand and make your sound card or motherboard audio is so that you can see if those drivers are installed and working.
>>
>>51375453
Please leave
>>
>>51375395
If you do the same mistakes with Ubuntu, you're gonna have the same consequences. For example, if you mix a new GTK package with software compiled against an older version, it's very likely that the package manager will ask you about deleting the older software.

Stop going the Windows way and reformat each time you have a problem. Unless you manually tinker with your system files, every packaging problem is salvageable. And even if all hope is lost, you learn so much about the OS just by trying to fix it.
>>
So thanks to a few anons here at /flt/ I've found out that a file system check of an empty partition takes about minute and a half, but only a second when I manually use fsck.

When I run
sudo fsck /dev/sdb6 -r 
I get
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
/dev/sdb6: clean, 15/19161088 files, 1251459/76637696 blocks
/dev/sdb6: status 0, rss 3196, real 0.328630, user 0.120000, sys 0.000000

But when I run
sudo fsck -M -A -r 
I get
fsck from util-linux 2.26.2
e2fsck 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
e2fsck: need terminal for interactive repairs
/dev/sdb6: status 8, rss 2832, real 0.004212, user 0.000000, sys 0.004000

So it has the exit code of either 0 or 8. I really don't know what to do now. I could always manually stop the filesystem check upon booting, but that's not a real solution.
>>
What are the good parts of KDE?
>>
>>51375471
Most people don't want to know about their OS. They just want it to work.
>>
>>51375468
I am actually curious what kind of differences it makes between using a WM like Openbox or a tiling WM like i3.
>>
>>51375495
the blue parts
>>
>>51375547
read about them then and see for yourself what the differences are, they are all very well documented.
>>
>>51375548
you mean the parts that doesn't start with K ?
>>
>>51375471
I've been using Debian since about 08 and I've never had these issues before. I've kind of lost my patience with Debian ever since they split ia32libs into 100 different packages too. All I want is a debian based distro with Gnome 3 that just werks for my laptop.
>>
File: 1446149114257.jpg (45 KB, 604x398) Image search: [Google]
1446149114257.jpg
45 KB, 604x398
Here's the deal.
Got a Fedora installation with full disk encryption (the default one in the installer, nothing fancy).
Is there any way to remove it?
As in make the installation non encrypted?

What I want to do is to install another distro (opensuse).
But I would have to back up ~250GB of movies to an external HDD, which is painfully slow on my budget storage solution (4MB/s transfer)

I know you can install a new system and keep the /home partition intact and that's what I'd like to do.

Is ther a way of doing this?
>>
can somebody post the updated /g/ recommended software pic please? ty
>>
File: bobby_and_piggy.png (429 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
bobby_and_piggy.png
429 KB, 1360x768
How do a I write a bash or perl script so I can transfer files from my desktop to my laptop without using Dropbox or hotswapping a USB drive?
>>
>>51376154
>How do a I write a bash or perl script
Do you "know" how to script in any of these and just want recommendations on which software to use or are you asking for a copy/paste solution?
>>
>>51376317
>are you asking for a copy/paste solution?
m-maybe Anon-sama.
>>
>>51376327
Sigh. What's your usecase? A real sync solution like dropbox? A once or twice a day sync issued by a command? Are your computers in question always in your local network? Give us some more information please.
>>
Can anyone post any links/instructions, where someone describes or at least shows any Linux running on any cheap Intel based Chinese tablets (Teclast, Onda, Chuwi,...), with all hardware functioning (touch and WiFi as well). In many such cases touch/wifi isn't supported, so I (and probably many) would be glad to know, if any such successful case exists.
>>
File: 0514038228.jpg (146 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
0514038228.jpg
146 KB, 800x600
Does linux causes corruption to FAT32 file system, when deleting files?
Or I have shitty SD card?
The thing is I have 32 GB micro sd card and use it as USB flash drive, with the help of a small micro USB card reader.
After writing some files and deleting some, the SD card don't seem to be accessible any more.
I've tried different OS, but the result is the same even tried putting the micro SD card in my phone, but the only option I got was to format the micro SD card.
One I get home I can do more, but since other SD cards are being read by the card reader the issue is in the micro SD card.
TL;DR
How to fix SD cards under Linux?
>>
>>51376793
Your SD card is borked
>>
>>51376793
Try dosfsck which is part of dosfstools. Read the man page for parameters. -a should automatically fix existing errors, -w for writing the corrections to the sd and -t to single out unreadable clusters as bad.
Otherwise i would recommend to use a different filesystem for sd cards, as fat32 is known to have hotplugging problems on sd cards. Be sure to always properly dismout the card, and if you encounter copying errors (when comparing bytes after copying a file or directory) you should invest in a better card reader.
>>
>>51376154
what kind of files? like how many, what size?

scp transfers files between computers over an ssh connection and is scriptable
>>
>>51375796
anyone? please?
>>
>>51377221
sorry, I never save those images. Is there a certain topic you want recommendations on?
>>
so arch is shit for a first distro right? cause it's hard? please tell me why it's awful because I'm considering installing it & it'd be a mess
>>
File: fltinfo.jpg (315 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
fltinfo.jpg
315 KB, 1024x1400
>>51377280
just looking for a list of recommended packages to start / pick from, since I just switched to Arch..
>>
>>51377339
arch is shit because it's shit not because it's hard.
only a complete retard has a hard time following step by step instructions
>>
>>51377345
is this the latest one?
>>
>>51377345
well of you're already starting on arch, there is a page on recommended software
[wiki]archlinux[org]/index.php/List_of_applications
pretty much all applications are on this page for a reason, they are pretty good and some even have their own dedicated page. If you're unsure which is best for your usecase, google comparisons or just try them out.
>>
>>51377474
> tfw Just spent the last hour reading through that :^)
>>
can somebody tell me the difference between distros. If i install the same DE on debian,arch,fedora,...
what difference wiil it make. How will it be different apart from using different commands for package managers.
>>
>>51377536
Have you tried google?
>>
Why is Cnchi such a buggy piece of shit?
>>
>>51377602
Shits not bugged, antegros sucks doe
>>
>>51377536
Basic system structure, default packages and applications and availability/versions of packages in the repos are main differences across distros. How "rich" a distros repositories are is hard to see at first glance, but most major ones will have everything you could potentially need. Whether it takes a distro a week or 3 month to update a package may also be of your concern. The best way to decide for a distro is to read about their philosophy. Choosing a distro with goals you can relate to is cricial for having faith in them still supporting your way of computing in several years. hope that makes sense
>>
>>51371305
>civil war
except systemd won without any real contest
>>
>>51373627
Hear, hear. I personally want some hard kernel guarantees on my daemon management instead of bunch of shell scripts that kill the daemon if it misbehaves, perhaps maybe.

But usually there's only:

case "start"
case "stop"
case "restart"

And the joy of watching the gnome-setting slowly eating all the memory, oomkiller shivving it dead and the cycle repeats.
>>
>>51377739
Meant to say gnome-session.
>>
>>51377648
thanks
>>
I have a UEFI laptop with Secure Boot as an alternative and Windows 10 installed. Somewhere along the line while playing with Linux installations I apparently ruined my whatever it is because if I try to boot with Secure Boot, I just get a list of unbootable partitions, including my Windows 10 partition.

How do I fix Secure Boot? Ideally I want to reset it entirely and then make a certificate for Arch Linux.

I'm not even sure if I'm using the right terms at all. Basically Secure Boot is fucked for me and I'd like to reset it somehow and successfully use it with Linux.

Thanks
>>
>>51374893
Learn to use the autocomplete
>>
I know that elementaryOS people were so faggy they called free users "thieves" once, but anyways

Is it that bad of a system?
>>
>>51377814
Why not just disabe secure boot and save the headaches?
>>
>>51377901
Feels like I'm leaving loose ends if I do that. Is it really hard to fix do you think?
>>
Few months ago I went full time linux and just installed everything on one partition.
Should I change this? Can I change this?
>>
>>51377814
I would also recommend to disable secureboot, which is basically microsofts way of trying to control which OS can be installed and which not. If I'm not mistaken, microsoft is still the only company dealing out certificates to other companies.
However, if you're dependend on win10 then disabling secureboot is not an option. I would also advice against creating a custom certificate for arch unless you want to do it all over on every major update. I would rather look into using a prebootloader and chain it with gummiboot.
Fixing booterrors itself is challenging, doing so over the internet without much information is even harder. I would reset the secureboot keys in uefi and reinstall.
Depending on your laptop, if it has two drives i would recommend to seperate windows from linux, so both can maintain their respective bootloaders wihtout windows trying to interfere with linux
>>
>>51377863
If you stripe away the eyecandy it doesn't have much to offer. I would only recommend it if you consider yourself a non-tinkerer, because their DE and userland are not very hackable.
>>
>>51378064
I wasn't aware that Secure Boot was that much of a Microsoft scheme. If it offers no real benefit to a Linux user, I'll just shut it off. I'm removing Windows from this laptop permanently since I got myself a gaymen rig for that, now I'm just going to try installing Arch for a while before I give up and install Xubuntu
>>
>>51378136
>If it offers no real benefit to a Linux user, I'll just shut it off.
Well, mainstream distros are signed anyway.
Fedora, Ubuntu, opensuse
>>
>>51378121
Aight. I was thinking of using it on a laptop and I'm alright with the default look, not too much into this ricing thing to be honest. Just want to have my thing for browsing and writing shit.
>>
>>51378136
Before disabling secureboot, please use the key backup functions provided by your uefi to save them on a thumbdrive! google it if necessery. You never know when you will need it back, but once they're gone, the're gone.
Secureboot tries to protect your system from being tempered with via remote boot or direct access by only allowing signed and "approved" uefi applications to be ran. This doesn't mean i can't selfsign my malicious software but for most people it sounds more secure. I also can just run an efi shell and circumvent your linux login, getting root access without a password. Swcireboot doesn't protect against that. Activating a boot password, so nobody can access your uefi to boot anything is the most secure you can be.
Also imagine, once every linux distro succumbed to having their kernels signed by microsoft, what could microsoft potentially do to piss of unix users?
>>
>>51372758
>>51374387
If the same file is offered on multiple mirrors couldn't you do a simultaneous download like that?
>>
>>51378291
Could you be confusing mirrors with trackers here? Are we still talking about torrents?
>>
>>51377814
>Ideally I want to reset it entirely and then make a certificate for Arch Linux.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot_criticism
It works off of a certificate stored in the hardware. One of the biggest criticisms of it are that it allows lock-in and centralized control for "security" reasons and might even outright prevent users from using their own hardware with customized software. Not even sure it's possible and if it is, it's probably dependent on what hardware you have.
>>
>>51378350
I'm not the other guy, I'm just thinking that with non-PTP download couldn't you download different parts of a file at the same time efficiently if the same file was hosted on different mirrors? It's not uncommon for large files to be hosted on several mirrors.
>>
>>51378289
>Activating a boot password, so nobody can access your uefi to boot anything is the most secure you can be.
Is this the same as a supervisor password? If so, yeah, I noticed it and enabled it everywhere on the laptop (X250). Now it prompts me for a password at boot and UEFI.

Anyway, I started installing Arch. I got a boot menu and then a shell appeared. Since I don't have a US keyboard, I wrote localectl list-keymaps as per the guide, which returned "Couldn't find and console keymaps". Any clues?
>>
>>51378437
>"Couldn't find any console keymaps"*
>>
>>51378437
what does 'localectl status' give you?
>>
>>51378539
>System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>VC Keymap: n/a
>X11 Layout: n/a
>>
screenfetch
lists my GPU as
Gallium 0.4 on AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.0)
but my graphics card is the AMD R9 280X. Why is this?
>>
>>51378565
it uses opensource drivers
>>
File: 1406041005124.png (472 KB, 520x720) Image search: [Google]
1406041005124.png
472 KB, 520x720
Newfag here, why is systemd bad again? Is it because it's monolithic?
>>
>>51378428
Theoretically yes. It depends on where the bottleneck is. Downloading from 10 mirrors won't speed up anything if your internet connection is maxed out. If certain hosters have speed caps, downloading from several at once give you more throughput if your internet connection allows for it. The thing is, if its just one file or archive you are downloading, there are no "parts" on binary level. Each hoster will send you different packages of data that don't match with each other. If all hosters would standarize on a scheme and allow for orchestrating of the parts you wish to download it would be possible. Not a world we live in but anyways.
>>
>>51378629
Ah ok>>51378625
systemd is great though
>>
>>51378625
Have you tried using google?
I'm willing to bet there's lots of articles explaining pros and cons of systemd
>>
>>51378675
People don't like that it writes binaries instead of text, Linus Torvalds doesn't dislike it, that's about all I got. Fine, I'll go search more.
>>
>>51371305
Is there a way to call for a unified settings menu in i3wm on debian?
More precisely:
What's the settings program name to call it from the console, if there is one?
Or is the unified settings panel/menu something that comes from the DE and not from the system.
>>
>>51378598
Is there any way to get it to detect it correctly?
>>
>>51378437
Can you issue loadkeys directly?
>>
>>51378725
Have you installed proprietary drivers ya dingus?
>>
>>51378736
I haven't but aren't the opensource drivers normally better anyways?
>>
>>51378769
They're reverse engineered with a method known as "trials and errors" by a group of very dedicated people.
They "work" but do not offer the same performance.
Proprietary drivers offer better performance but are fubar, as anything from nvidia/amd

If you're okay with their performance then why does it bother you so much?
Stop being a ricer piece of shit.
Screenfetch is a useless tool
>>
>>51378769
>normally better anyways?
They aren't better, performance wise the proprietary drivers are better.
Also who the fuck cares about a naming of a useless tool?
If it bothers you that much edit the tool, last time i checked it was just a shitty script.
>>
File: R9 280X.png (16 KB, 510x130) Image search: [Google]
R9 280X.png
16 KB, 510x130
>>51378565
so what's the problem?
>>
>>51372591
>>51372758
Yes you do, especially in shitty 3rd world connections (See docsis 1.0 and 2.0), while you don't' get higher speed you manage to get your cap, meanwhile using only one big chunk it only gets a really low and shitty speed.
>>
What does the second button, left to right, do? Gnome 3.18.
>>
>>51378428
They could just seed a torrent.

It's never an issue because some CDN or specific webserver serving files is never slower than some user's home connection, and if it were, the home user would just connect to a faster mirror. The mirrors will always theoretically have huge pipes and always be serving at max output.
>>
File: i hate myself.png (98 KB, 401x306) Image search: [Google]
i hate myself.png
98 KB, 401x306
I really want to try out openbox but I'm scared. Xfce has spoiled me.
>>
>mfw I don't even dislike Unity
Time to kill myself.
>>
First time installing Linux, debian 8.2, I've tried multiple fresh installs but every time I get

Error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found
Entering rescue mode

Any help?
>>
So how is Lubuntu different internally to Xubuntu?
I don't think it is but I'm not sure
Also can I do compositing on Lubuntu?
>>
File: output.webm (1019 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
1019 KB, 1366x768
Halp! I have issues with an Arch Linux install on my x220.

Only after averagely 5 minutes running, my x11 server becomes completely buggy, a lot of visual glitches, all different, each time a new one. Sometimes the trackpad becomes crazy or completely stop working, Here are my default Xorg.conf and Xorg.log :

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=zvVqA70B (also tried with the default Xorg.conf and minimal 20-intel.conf)
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6WrKmjPG

What general troubleshoot can I run? I already tried to reinstall it, several times (and with twm it's the same).
>>
>>51380176
Oh it's looks like the glitches aren't visible on the recording, may help.
>>
What do you think about chakra linux?
>>
>>51380176
Did you try Architect already?
>>
>>51380176
Did you try install with architect?
>>
>>51379829
paste the error in google.
there are few solutions to this problem, just try one
>>
>>51380272
No, manually with Archlinux iPXE boot.
>>
>>51379867
pretty much the same, just different desktop env
yes
>>
>>51380344
Try it, even if just for troubleshooting purposes.
If it works fine you should get an idea of what you fucked up.
>>
>>51379169
Don't be such a pussy.
>>
>>51376382
>Give us some more information please.
I just need to be able to transmit files from one computer to another computer via the command line.
>>
>>51381238
scp
>>
xfcefags, I'm dicking around with the window manager shortcuts and encountered a shortcut mapping to null. Why should I leave it like that? I want to move windows to workplaces using Ctrl + shift + alt + arrowkey because of muh Unity.
>>
>KDE is so robust that it's UI has a pesudo-package manager
I'm in love
>>
>>51381238
FTP is your friend. SCP if you're worried about security on your home network.
>>
Linux noob here, just installed Xubuntu. I've got 2 drives, an SSD and a HDD. The HDD is unpartitioned and unmounted but it still spins up. Anyone know why? How do I stop it?
>>
>>51382472
It spins up because it's plugged in. You can't keep it from turning on, but you can spin it down after boot. See hdparm
>>
>>51382508
So if I write hdparm in the terminal and then
-S 60 /dev/sda/
, will the drive spin down after a minute? Not sure if that would be correct.
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-11-13_21-47-13.png (997 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-11-13_21-47-13.png
997 KB, 1366x768
I've been using Antergos with Cinnamon on my laptop for a little bit now and I'm considering taking the plunge and installing Arch on my desktop.

Should I use Architect or just go for it? Does Architect add anything to Arch or is it just an installer?

Also, I've been using Cinnamon and I like it but I think I could get away with something lighter seeing as I don't really use the menu too terribly much. Could I get a similar aesthetic under XFCE or LXDE? How difficult are they to rice, especially when removing title bars from windows? How is support for keyboard shortcuts? I assume that's a pretty universal thing. Pic related. Thanks.
>>
>>51382609
You can do
hdparm -y /dev/sda
to immediately stand by, without altering the timeouts. I think that's safer.

>>51382403
scp/sftp has less configuration involved and is smarter than ftp
>>
How is battery life on openSUSE?

Does distro choice matter that much for battery?
>>
>>51377992
>Should I change this?
do you want to? do you have a reason to?
>Can I change this?
yes, it's possible
>>
Fellow amd and arch users. Is it worth to install the proprietary drivers for an AMD gpu ? Currently using the open source drivers and I can run everything without problems, even games via playonlinux, but if I could get better performances, I wouldn't say no
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.