[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I accidentaly deleted my external HDD is there any easy way to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1444811574539.png (6 KB, 85x85) Image search: [Google]
1444811574539.png
6 KB, 85x85
I accidentaly deleted my external HDD is there any easy way to recover the files?
I am running Arch Linux and I want the best way to recover them.
thanks anon
>>
Good job you backed up your files to the cloud senpai!
>>
Ask the NSA they probably have a copy of all your data
>>
>>51314143
What do you mean you "deleted" your external HDD
>>
It's pretty easy, actually. Type lsblk into a terminal and find the name of your drive; it should start with "/dev/sd", so just identify which one by your HDD size. Take that name and type the following commands (replace "/dev/sda" with yours):
sudo umount /dev/sda
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

Wait maybe a couple hours and when it's done, any lost files should be back where they used to be. There might be a few things out of place, but that's to be expected with hard drive recovery.
>>
>>51314414
I deleted the partition
>>
>>51314425
>
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

Isn't that the delete command?
>>
>>51314461
It tells dd (Defragment Drive) to look for missing pieces on the drive (zeroes) and restore them.
>>
>>51314489
>Defragment Drive)
Why? What's the reason for misleading informations?
>>
>>51314433
I did that at some point in the past, I can assure you my heart was beating fast. Luckily it was just the partition table : the data at the beginning of the disk that says "partition 1 starts here, partition 2 starts there". parted has a recover command that can find partition content without a partition table entry. do
pacman -S parted
and then look for instructions.
>>
>Deleted a hard drive
>Deleted

How
>>
>>51314489
ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT DO NOT RUN CMD
>>
>>51314433
Incase you didn't do anything else than delete the partition from the partition table you can just add the partition with the same size and type again and all your files will still be there.
>>
>>51314569
Ikr what afgt
>>
>>51314545
Also how exactly did you 'delete' it? If it was through gparted or something, recovery of lost partitions is probably just a few clicks away
>>
>>51314580
>an delete the partitio
how do i use it? does it have some kind of graphical interafec
>>51314600
I deleted it while Arch Linux process (partioning) picked the wrong one.. but yea..
>>
>>51314619
Can't you google for "how to restore deleted partition with linux"?
>>
>>51314619
Installing you were? parted normally in the iso is. parted command and see issue
>>
testdisk, why it's so hard to read?
>>
>>51314915
this.
>>
>>51314378
Kek underrated post
>>
>>51314143
>deleted my external hdd
That made me kek harder than it should have desu
>>
>>51314143
Not sure what you mean by deleted by try photorec, should be in the repos
>>
that's what you get for using arch Linux. hope you don't get shit back
>>
>>51316241
What's shit on Arch?
>>
>>51314489
Top kek
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.