[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is OSX worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: x410m9.jpg (53 KB, 604x341) Image search: [Google]
x410m9.jpg
53 KB, 604x341
Hey, you guys, linux fag here. Serious question: is Mac OS X really worth it? I'm not asking about their overpriced hardware, I'm only asking if their operating system is as good as they say, because it's a real UNIX, unlike linux that its only a copycat.
>>
10.6 was the last good Mac OS, after that they only removed features and added cloud integration.
>>
>>51283959
You could try and make yourself a hackintosh, or a vm running the OS to see for yourself, if you'd like. My friend did it for the sake of doing it, and he found it interesting.
>>
>can't replace parts on a mac meme
>>
>>51284039
As far as I know, it's necessary to use a Mac to create a bootable USB for installing Hackintosh. Also it seems that the first time you install it you must format the whole HD because you can't install to a partition.

And when I tried to install it on Virtualbox I don't know what I did wrong that the installation froze.
>>
>>51284862
http://www.hackintosh.zone/category/18-hackintosh-iso-hackintosh-distro/
no mac needed
>>
>>51284217
>everything is welded together on a custom pcb
>huur duur just buy a new logic board, an angle grinder and a roll of duct tape to fix it

i mean, i like macs, but they are shitty in a lot of ways.
>>
>>51285013
The fuck? I can't navigate that site because it says that I have adblock, even tough I have removed it.
>>
>>51283959
>because it's a real UNIX
That's not a real advantage. UNIX is just a certain design. It is not the only good design. Linux has all the good parts and is extremely similar even if it isn't an exact clone.

And UNIX is a marketing term these says. OS X is a UNIX, but that doesn't mean much.
>>
>>51285114
You can just block the element that covers the site.

> even tough I have removed it.
Why the fuck would you do that?
>>
File: 1399939605139.jpg (283 KB, 782x788) Image search: [Google]
1399939605139.jpg
283 KB, 782x788
>>51283959
>Mac is a 200mph supercar
>PC is an antique
>>
Your image is bad.

1. Macs are PCs.
2. Macs are slow as fuck. Exotic cars are fast. The Mac should be a fucking Smart Car or something.
>>
>>51285306
your comment is bad.

1. dacias are exotic cars
2. dacias are cheap pieces of shit, they would be more like acer or something
>>
>>51283959

osx is good if you install pathfinder on it.

just try a hackintosh. works great
>>
>>51285248
>holds value

>forgotten
>>
>>51283959
OP forgot to mention one of those is being used regularly by professionals to accomplish things, and the other sits there like a trophy so people can either blow their load to it or tell their friends about how they blew their load to it.
>>
then linux is what?
pic related?
>>
>>51285334
>dacias are exotic cars
Are you stupid?
>>
>>51285391
>rear suspension of an oxcart, based on a compact car

>supercar with relevant technology
>>
>>51285454
>>
>>51285454
>>51285554
Pretty much, yeah, but whatever, I like it.
>>
>>51283959
depends on what you want. i like it personally. built my own computer and put OSX on it.

> *nix
> well designed interface
> all the big proprietary programs available if you need it (office, CS, CAD, whatever)
> all the good FLOSS linux programs are ported as well
> system wide scripting
> sweet trackpad (on laptops), expose, smooth ass gestures OOTB

also if you buy an actual mac, you still get the freedom to install linux or windows if you so desire. no bullshit smartboot bloatware like on windows 8 that has you fondle around in BIOS before you can install anything else.

some of the recent design changes are stupid but overall it's still the best system imho.
>>
is that image from 9gag? anyone who isn't a fucking fetal alcohol victim can replace the parts in macbooks, and really any computers.
>>
>>51285111
If something breaks they replace the whole thing for free, poorfag.
>>
OS X is nice but I still prefer windows
>>
>>51285676
>anyone who isn't a fucking fetal alcohol victim can replace the parts in macbooks
FUCK no. Half of it is soldered to the motherboard.
>>
>>51285748
Its called a Logic Board you fuck titty goobagger.
>>
>>51285748
>>51285676
they're really soldered in. you can't just replace them unless you break stuff. in the old mbp (2007-ish) you could at least replace the RAM and the battery quite easily but nowadays it's all locked down. pisses me off.
>>
>>51285676
If you are competent, yes. I had a friend that broke the screen of his Macbook. He was so cheap that he tried to replace it himself. After that, his Macbook was FUBAR'ed, poor bastard.
>>
>>51285821
who cares?
>>
>>51285748
So what did you need to do to break your CPU?
>>
The best car analogy to Macs is Lexus. They hit all the relevant bullet points to appeal to a wide audience of people who have no clue about cars. They have a reputation for reliability. But they're really meant for old people. They are fat, slow cars that no car enthusiast would ever want to drive. They have the capability to make things much better but they just don't because there's no reason to. People buy their shitty cars which are just a Toyota with leather +$20k because it makes them feel good or safe. And then they drive 5 under the limit on the freeway and never set up their Bluetooth because they can't figure it out.
>>
>>51283959
"real unix" is a meme. it has absolutely no real world meaning and certainly doesn't mean that it's somehow magically better than "not a real unix".
>>
>>51285882
lol the delusion
>>
>>51283959
>it's a real UNIX, unlike linux that its only a copycat.
this is how i knew your shitty thread was bait. and this is coming from BSD
>>
>>51285882
>no enthusiast would want to drive
IS300 w/ 2jz swaps are done all the time. SCXXX cars are loved by enthusiasts, too. What are you talking about?
>>
>>51285912
It means that it can run stuff that can't run on windows. To me at least.
>>
>>51283959
The average consumer doesn't want to open up their PC and fix something. They take it to geek squad or something similar.

The average consumer is getting a better overall experience with Mac.

This only applies to the hobbyist and /g/ent
>>
>>51283959
Why would you want to eat shit out of your own hands?
>>
>>51285996
That's old Lexus. I'm talking about new Lexus.
>>
>>51286001
nigger, OS/2 runs shit that windows doesn't. does that make it "REAL UNIX"?
>>
>>51286018
The new F sport stuff is pretty cool. But I understand the point.
>>
>>51286024
I actually mean stuff that's relevant to me. Also my post wasn't a definitionof what Unix is, retard.
>>
File: 1447084015685.jpg (97 KB, 533x471) Image search: [Google]
1447084015685.jpg
97 KB, 533x471
>>51285677
that's so wasteful
>>
>>51286053
ah, so it means absolutely nothing. congratulations, you're retarded.
>>
>>51286001
yeah sure, because it basically means "it's not windows". it's different, but it's not necessarily better. the two just aren't connected.
>>
>>51286089
What is your fucking point? You asked for a real world meaning, I gave you one. And now you act all retarded.
>>
>>51286098
>>51286120
how more willfully retarded can one get?

how is osx any more "not windows" than linux, solaris, or even fucking haiku
>>
>>51286151
i didn't say that at all.
what i'm saying is, they're all different systems. merely being "real unix" doesn't magically make the system better in general.
that's like saying bananas are better than oranges because they're long instead of round. that might be better for some situations, but there's really no strong connection between the two properties.
>>
>>51286098
I'm really not saying it's better. It just happens to run stuff that I need for work that doesn't on Windows. I'm perfectly aware that it could just as well be the other way around.
>>
>>51286183
yeah and that's fine, sure. i just don't see the connection between "as good as they say" and "because it's a real unix system" in the OP.
it might be as good as they say, for certain things, but that's not a property of unix systems in general.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.