[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are the highest paying areas of computer science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: katy-perry-spec-lol.jpg (42 KB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
katy-perry-spec-lol.jpg
42 KB, 400x286
what are the highest paying areas of computer science?
>>
The areas with the hardest and most annoying work
>>
>>51278764
i doubt that's true

generally the more money you earn the less work you do
>>
>>51278787
True. Not to be confused with those who do the least will get paid the most. Not a two way street.
>>
>>51278764
Sysadmin?
>>
>>51278717
COBOL programmer :^)
>>
>>51278717
Middleware?
>>
>>51280220
sad but true
>>
>>51280215
>Sysadmin
>literally sitting around playing video games and posting on Facebook waiting for someone to break something, and then fix it for him in under 2 minutes because he's just an idiot.
>hard work
>>
I'm getting paid 100k straight outa college for web dev (java). If you want money go for a tech company rather than a company that uses tech.
>>
>>51280402
>100K straight out of school
that sounds like a dream

where are you working? silicon valley? seattle?
>>
>>51280449
Texas and yeah it's fucking rad. I get 125k total comp the first year with bonuses and relocation and I have RSU that's vested every 4 years.
These assholes should have paid me way less.
>>
>>51280215
If your good with computers than sysadmin is a god tier job.
~good pay(sometimes really good)
~easy AF
~you barely do anything that requires effort
~you can sit in your office and shitpost/watch animu
>>
File: 1447011855373.jpg (103 KB, 552x338) Image search: [Google]
1447011855373.jpg
103 KB, 552x338
>>51280478
>These assholes should have paid me way less.
They can't risk that. Remember, "pay peanuts, get monkeys". Many companies have had to learn this the hard way. They could have outsourced you to rajeet but they know he will fuck everything up and possibly make them go bankrupt.
>>
>>51278787
It doesn't work that way if you have autism.
>>
>>51280478
125k in texas is pretty great, considering there's no income tax there. Too bad you have to live in texas though.
>>
>>51280630
I've worked with some Indian contractors before, most of them were fucking awful.

>>51280741
>Too bad you have to live in texas though.
Yeah I'm not looking forward to the heat, at least Austin is fun.
>>
>>51280215
I know this sysadmin who works at a highschool, he makes around 100k p/a and all he does sit on his office and play eve online all day until some kid with his ipad rocks up to his door to get connected to the internet.
>>
>>51280229
Why is that?
>>
>>51278717
Big data and quant stuff in finance
>>
>>51280909
>big data
>doing meme work
>>
How much can I expect to make if I go into the security side of things?
>>
Work for the NSA, you get paid healthcare, travel for free, get a gun(maybe?), and probably get bitches too.
>>
lol job?

become an entrepreneur... get an idea, make your own business
>>
data analysis/big data
>>
>>51281401
Working for the NSA is a crime against humanity though. Everyone who works there should be shot desu.
>>
>>51281719
Alright, it's bed time Billy.
>>
>>51280762
Hey fucker, I got a web dev job in San Antonio in Feb and I hate it here. But I hear Austin isn't all that bad. Hope you enjoy yourself.
>>
>being highly paid
That's not the goal. A lot of high paying jobs that aren't administration positions require a lot of work and overtime.
What you want is a job based on payment/input. You want to do as little actual work as you possibly can, and whenever you can, write scripts that do shit for you.

Like getting a telecommunications job and writing code to sort XML file data for you and draw up the statistical reports while you browse 4chan all day.
>>
>>51280741
>There's no income tax in Texas
I know where I'm moving after Uni
>>
>>51282932
Why would you want that? Is it really your goal to skim by without every actually accomplishing anything like a piece of shit?
>>
>>51282583
>>51282583
>>>51280762
>Hey fucker, I got a web dev job in San Antonio in Feb and I hate it here. But I hear Austin isn't all that bad. Hope you enjoy yourself.
What's wrong with San Antonio bro
>>
>>51282932
I do this at my job. I am in HIT and most of my team just dicks around all day until tickets come in
>>
>>51278717
who is this semen demon?
>>
>>51283036

Depends on the individual. If you aren't deriving meaning from work outside of money you might as well maximize money and minimize time and effort out of your job.
>>
>>51280303
>>51280781
Holy shit, is sysadmin that good? You could even do some other job while in the office.
>>
>>51284944
katy perry
>>
>>51285380
you wouldn't get paid for it

reported for underaged cause you have no idea how work works
>>
>>51280220
Yep, my mom makes bank bc of this.
>>
>>51285519
What? I mean online job.. or anything else that would make you money, like youtube.
>>
>>51278717
Use some old as fuck language like Fortran and apply to a job that happens to use it, they don't have much to select from
>>
>>51285540
How fat is she?
>>
>>51286468
She can take a good foot from Jamal.
>>
Cyber security probably. There's not a single fortune 500 company which can afford not having absolute top-tier information security, because of this reason security consultants and the like get paid ludicrous amounts to develop custom fitted security systems.
>>
>>51280303
Ya, are definitely enough lousy sys admins. Your assessment is comical, but there are enough issues regarding performance,uptime,scalability that prevent the rest of us from 'playing video games and fixing shit in 2 minutes', all day. I think you're thinking of IT guys?
>>
>>51280505
Its not bad, except for that on-call bit
>>
Developers in investment banks are paid well. The closer you are to the money the better. A lot of them are increasing salaries now to compete with the silicon valley and tech starts ups.
>>
>>51278717
1. Entrepreneurs/Innovators (Unstable)
2. Hacking (Unstable)
3. Software Development
4. Cyber-security
>>
>>51285843
>well-paying computer science
>online job like youtube
Pick one.
>>
DBA's seem like they make tons here in chicago.

I do okay as sysadmin for my age and experience.
>>
Work in a niche areas of CS.
Think video game graphics programming, or AI.

I've had good luck with computer vision. People in my field tend to make at least 180K and work on really interesting problems. My current employer was searching for 6 months for someone will my skill set, and personally told me there are 4 computer vision jobs out there for everyone qualified employee. Having a Phd helps a lot.

Plus, if you're hard to replace you can usually get all sorts of special treatment. For instance I work remotely from my house in Wyoming (after having lived in CA for a couple of years), and still get paid my SV wage. I fly to California every other week, so that's a bit of a drag.

But it's fucking rad, you're money goes much further here, plus this state has the lowest population density of any of the continental US states, which makes it an shut-in autist's wet dream. My nearest neighbor is over two miles away from my property.
>>
U don't want to work in a sweatshop like company no matter how much u r paid.
>>
>>51288394
Not a hard rule, I wouldn't mind 400k/year then moving out to an easier job when I get burnt out
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.