[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Visual Studio?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: Visual-Studio.jpg (197 KB, 1576x1182) Image search: [Google]
Visual-Studio.jpg
197 KB, 1576x1182
What do you think of Visual Studio?
>>
I like it.

-Sent from my surface pro.
>>
I like it.

-Sent from my macbook pro.
>>
I don't do anything productive, but I've heard from people who do that it's pretty good
>>
>>51268385
The IDE is to god damn bloated to be able to be used properly, and more importantly the thing is a fucking botnet to say the least.

>Microsoft
>>
>>51268835
wow, look at all those memes
>>
Decent autocompletion considering how parsing C++ is a full-strength industrial nightmare, and one of the best symbolic debuggers in existence.

Not good enough to make me go back to Windows, though. I miss it occasionally, when I'm knee deep in a gdb session and close to scratching my eyes out, but in general anything that isn't Windows is a nicer programming environment.

>>51268835
I was alarmed with the whole signing in malarkey they added, but you can just, you know, not sign in.
>>
>>51268385
Its what I use at school for C/C++ its a standard in the industry. I dont care about IDEs
>>
>>51268835
VS Code is all I need.
>>
>>51268385
i went from monodevelop to vs15 for the c++ support. Basic things that md does well like context aware syntax highlighting and reference searches vs is terrible at, and i cant believe a major ide could be so bad at these in the current year.

That being said theres alot of useful looking stuff in the vs bloat, i just havnt got round to using any of it yet.

-sent from my linx 10
>>
>>51268385
It's the better C# IDE, too bad it's bloated
>>
I currently use the professional 2013 version for work. Is there any version of 2013+ that doesn't require a licence?
>>
Well, i usually just use sublime + whatever package managemer/compiler feature that comes with the language i'm using, but i'm trying to switch to VS Code, because i don't want a 5gB installation of VS proper
>>
using visual studio ultimate 2013, feels good man
>>
>>51268385
It works ok but it's extremely bloated (6GB+ unwanted adware) and you need Internet Explorer 11 installed to register the "free" Community Edition
I recently switched to Xamarin Studio because of it and won't go back
>>
>>51269041
>A reskinned Atom is all I need.
>>
Visual Studio is literally the best IDE out there for REAL programmers. Add a vim plugin and it's godlike.
>>
anything other than vim is bloat
>>
the newer VS is the shittier it is
2015 is unbearable
>>
>>51269556
vim is bloated as fuck
>>
>>51269556
> not vi
>>
VS is a great IDE for python.
>>
I think as far as IDE's go, it's probably the best. It certainly has the best debugger. That said, since I don't really know what all of the tools do in an IDE, I find it hard to use something like this over Sublime Text with a separate compiler.
>>
File: 1402028778574.jpg (140 KB, 778x1018) Image search: [Google]
1402028778574.jpg
140 KB, 778x1018
>at uni
>ask a colleague to show me some specific source file on his PC
>have to wait 15min for his piece of visual shit to start
>mfw almost all of them use it without questioning it
>>
Extremely bloated, but pretty good IDE.
>>
>>51271204
>15 min
>not embracing a ssd
>>
>be me
>buy really expensive book on c++
>written by some indian, microshit, shill
>try to write code
>jack shit works because the fuck wrote it in some 4000$ vs ide that I cant afford
>give up
And thats why I gave up on coding for life
>>
Apparently all complaints come either from people running toasters (protip, it should only take a second or two to boot) or from social outcasts who get triggered at the sight of social integration.
>>
>>51271926
VS is literally free, you only have to pay if you want enterprise plugins that you'll never use as a normal user.
As for the book, your own ass fault for not reading a recommended book.
>>
>>51269230
Its called 2015 community version.
>>
>>51268385
Its what we use in my c++ class, so its all I know. Its error descriptions are ok so far at least. Loads ass slow.
>>
File: 2015-11-09-2245-42.webm (159 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-09-2245-42.webm
159 KB, 900x506
>>51272096
>Loads ass slow.
I fucking hate this meme.
>>
>>51272129
>not hiding the search bar
>Adobe Acrobat
>>
>>51268385
it's shit.
>>
>>51272161
I use it to search for stuff, why would I hide it?
Acrobat just works, it's fast and the text rendering is good. What should I use, Sumatra? If it's not broken don't fix it, that's why you fags are so unproductive, instead of doing stuff you worry about the best software for loading pdfs.
>>
>>51272211
>I use it to search for stuff, why would I hide it?
Because you have to click on it. I find it way easier to just hit the windows key and search from there.
>>
It's pretty good

Another plus is that it triggers neckbeards and hipsters for little to no reason other than being a microsoft product
>>
>>51272211
sumatra will make you more productive if you have PDF textbooks
>>
If they port it to Linux I may try it. Otherwise, no real desire for an IDE right now.
>>
I use it to learn visual basic on at uni.
>>
>>51268385
40 GB of bloat.
>>
>>51271893
unis don't buy SSD
>>
>>51268385
I like it

-Sent from my normie pro
>>
>>51273870
>complaining that a modern IDE is slow on your 10 year out of date hardware
literally install gentoo
>>
>>51268956
This guy nailed it.

I think I might run linux as my main with a windows vm for visual studio
>>
>>51272049
Thanks anon
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.