[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PHP Metapackage for Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: ubuntu-phpinfo.png (51 KB, 639x478) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-phpinfo.png
51 KB, 639x478
> 2015
> php5 - server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (metapackage)
> Installs Apache

Why, /g/?
>>
why what?
>>
>>51268245
Why am I so retarded?
>>
>>51268245
Why would it install Apache

You don't need that to use PHP...
>>
PHP and apache go hand in hand: they're both awful things that are still in use because they're common and easy for retards to make work at a very basic level, so I guess it's fitting that the metapackage is badly designed.
>>
>>51268228
apt-get install --no-install-recommends ?
>>
>>51268447
php (decent framework) with nginx and php-fpm ist just fine
>>
>>51268474
You still probably need things like php5-readline and php5-json which php5-cli includes. It's just weird that php5 isn't what php5-cli is.
>>
>>51268447
> php is awful meme
noice

It's actually the devs that don't know how to not be terrible at what they do that are awful.
>>
>>51268579
>>51268535
PHP isn't even a programming language. The creator said so himself.
>>
>>51268663
> It wasn't a programming language
Fixed that for you, senpai
>>
php -S localhost:8000

No Apache needed.
>>
>>51268579
>php isn't awful, the devs are just retarded
What are you trying to say? php is awful in large part because the devs are retarded and make awful design choices. I assume you've seen shit like those horrifying truth tables.

Just because something has been made a meme by idiots who parrot things blindly doesn't make it necessarily untrue.

>>51268535
Sure, it's better if you get apache out of the picture, but unless you're supporting legacy code or something you may as well just use uwsgi+nginx+a programming language that doesn't suck shit.
>>
>>51268693
Last time I checked shit wasn't a programming language.
>>
>>51268709
Define Programming Language
> namespaces
> Classical Object Orientation
> Data Types
> Logic Control

What is it missing?
>>
>>51268749
>> namespaces
>> Classical Object Orientation
hue
>>
fuck me is php bad, the truth tables are just awful.

going to php from python was a huge pita.

but hey, at least pays the bills.
>>
Ok, so what to use instead of PHP?
Ruby? NodeJS? Rust? Some other hipster language?
> Inb4 Java/.NET monstrosities
>>
>>51268889
J2EE
>>
>>51268749
Forgot to add
> input and output
> Turing equivalent
>>
>>51268889
Any of the ones you mentioned + Elixir.
>>
>>51268228
Get nginx instead
https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php5-5.6
>>
>>51269284
For real, but why is it apache the default? Smh
>>
Pfft, all these "PHP is awful" people. PHP is fucking genius. It was successful because even retarded webdevs could end up with a functional page. Things tended to 'just work'. Also, there was a fuckload of code to cannibalize.
>>
>>51268889
I'd stick with Python and Ruby if you plan on using a lot of external modules. npm is full of trash.
>>
>>51269416
Apache is the default because it's a huge metapackage designed for newbies, Apache with mod_php still has the best PHP performance for PHP code, and there are approximately 30 trillion websites out there about how to get PHP and Apache to play nicely, and a lot of PHP stuff assumes you're running Apache underneath. If you really want nginx you can reverse-proxy to Apache for PHP content and let nginx handle everything else (static content, fastcgi, etc.).
>>
>>51271033
Yeah, but why is that bundled with the php5 metapackage? Why not have something like
apache-php
?
>>
>>51271097

Because it's a metapackage. Just install what you you need and quit crying.
>>
>>51271980
Who's crying
>>
>>51272076

Some little bitch that needs a metpackage to install software for him and then throws a fit because a metapackage contains a bunch of bullshit he doesn't want because it's a fucking metpackage.
>>
>not using lighttpd and fastcgi-php
Enjoy you're bloat
>>
Op just use the generic app stack with Php and Apache. You're not running fucking Twitter. Install APC and you'll be good for thousands of requests per minute unless you've written really shitty code.

Source, I run devops for hundreds of php web apps, some with 10,000 simultaneous users.
>>
File: 1433389017063.gif (721 KB, 446x251) Image search: [Google]
1433389017063.gif
721 KB, 446x251
>>51272544
> Asking a question is throwing a fit

Grow up
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.