[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been wanting to switch to Linux for a while now, maybe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1441947935530.jpg (92 KB, 400x370) Image search: [Google]
1441947935530.jpg
92 KB, 400x370
I've been wanting to switch to Linux for a while now, maybe a year or two. I wanna build an entirely new build, just for Linux. I'm gonna use something like Mint or Xubuntu. What are some parts that you guys would recommend, Intel based, no not the biggest fan of AMD. (At least on CPU's I really like the GPU's that AMD makes)
Also what OS should I try?
Fuck Gentoo.
Thanks in Advance /g/
>>
>>51266261
Well, Intel is fine. The problem is amd gpu had problems on their driver. On another side nvidia is easy to install, but source closed. Well, the choice is your son. Whether you take the fag ways by compiling the code or copy pasta it.
>>
>>51267190
And I really recommend debian, it's stable, and you can install many de on it.
>>
Fedora if you're new to linux, Debian if you have some experience with it. A quad-core Haswell or Skylake i5 would be more than enough, a dual-core i3 would be a good budget option. Remember that RAM is more important with an integrated GPU, so you should probably stick to 1600MHz+. This is the kind of thing that would be perfect for a mITX build.
>>
>>51267290
I completely left out a part.

You don't need a dedicated GPU. HD 4600 and above can easily drive 1080p gaming, not always at the highest settings, but it should be more than sufficient.
>>
>>51267290
Ill definently consider Fedora, Im thinking i5 4460 and R9 370 or i3 4160 and R7 360.
Ill even consider a Pentium G
>>
>>51267190
Yea I have a 970 in my main rig, and I can say that Nvidia is great with drivers. There has been so many updates the past week
>>
>>51267321
I dont think it can desu. Try playing BF4 with HD 4600
>>
Don't go that path
Debian or gtfo
>>
>>51268279
Battlefield 4 doesn't run on Linux.
>>
>>51268431
Ik that but on winblows
>>
>>51270260
He's building specifically for linux.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.