[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
>How to request purchase advice:
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

>$200 and under headphones (temporary):
http://pastebin.com/CCQCUv5e

>$200 and over headphones:
http://i.airi.su/hpg.png

>Earphones /g/uide:
http://pastebin.com/QQ4Gp7bQ

>Microphone /g/uide:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmUFMUDMP1iSx_9EqeO__dn9r0XM2tT2PKu4rCyu2Us/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Previous thread:
>>51238236
>>
i bought the shp9500 for $70 yesterday
>>
HD600 & HD650 >>> X2 and K7xx and DT880
>>
>>51245992
thanks, phillips employee.
>>
>>51245924
thanks that's great, I think I'm gonna go with them.
>>
Which is the better business model?
>make two identical headphones
>paint one in hipster colors and sell for twice the price
or
>make two identical headphones
>paint one in an ugly floor tile pattern and sell the other one for thrice the price
>>
X2 >
>>
Sennheiser HD 558 or HD 598? Price on amazon UK is the same.
>>
>>51246081
They're the same headphone, so it's whatever.
But HD 558 are supposed to cost around $100, so if it's more than that, you're being ripped off.
>>
>>51246098
They work out to be 180 usd. Damn
>>
>>51246081

do i need to post the image again? they never learn
>>
>>51246149
I've just started telling them to get HD 598.
Fucking hilarious when people go out and buy shit headphones because they didn't bother spending more than 2 minutes doing research.
>>
>>51246063
X2 > AKG K7XX >>>> everything else
>>
Are Audio Technica M50x still GOAT?
>>
>>51246183
Honestly I googled and other websites are saying the 98s are better
>>
>>51245731
The flatter it is, the higher the fidelity. HD 558 is more neutral out of those two. It loses to the DT880s slightly in lower bass frequencies and in overall extension of the FR but does better through the mids and highs. DT880 has some recess in the upper midrange which is the most sensitive area of frequencies to our ears and then a very sharp peak past that. From 20Hz to 10kHz the HD 558s stay within under 10dB and without a single large dip or peak. DT880 varies nearly 15dB and has larger variation throughout the spectrum. Measurement rigs get completely unreliable past 10kHz so anything past that point should be taken as a grain of salt. Our ears have individual differences in frequencies past 6kHz due to various kinds of resonances so the measurement rigs get somewhat inaccurate there already. I'd argue that any extension above 16kHz is unimportant in music listening as is extension below 20Hz.
>>
>>51246183
Great idea!
We should tell every dumb newfag to buy Sennheisers instead of Beyerdynamics and LOL at their inability to research.
They don't deserve to be using superior Beyerdynamic headphones anyway, let them suffer with their Sennheiser headphones.
I fully support this notion.
>>
>>51246221
Yeah dude, they might even drop to $130 on black friday.

>>51246228
It's true. Buy them asap.
>>
>>51246081
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/12176
>Too much seperation, distance, and empty areas. No "immersion".

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/10106
> Makes your music sound dull and boring.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-598/reviews/9442
>Makes all my music sound like it's been recorded in the same venue, on the same day.
>Deep and full, politely sweet but never exciting
>>
>>51246228
If I really wanted to buy a Sennheiser, I would go for the 598. It's simply better than 558. Don't listen to people saying that modded 558 sound as good.
>>
>>51246167
and they're not hi-fi anyways.
Define hi-fi
>>
>>51246259
I wholeheartedly agree.
HD598SE > HD598 > HD558
FACT!
>>
Currently own schiit magni/fiio e10 for dac/amp for my he-400i. is a Alo Audio Pan Am stack noticeable difference? I could get a used unit for $250. i plan to get HD800 in the near future too
>>
>>51246237
Here we are with the usual argument again.
>>
>>51246260
The fact that they're flat and boring doesn't make them sound closer to the original sound.
>>
>>51246237
Thank you.
Which one of them is easier to equalize for preference/fidelty?
>>
>>51246340
Did you misquote?
I simply asked you to clarify what hi-fi means.
>>
>>51246361
As a Senshill, you should know that much better than me :)
After all, your headphone allow you to listen to music like it was originally intended, produced and recorded, don't they?
>>
>>51246249
>Makes all my music sound like it's been recorded in the same venue, on the same day.
How on earth someone can come up with that sentence?
How is it possible for an headphone to give those emotions?
How can someone say whether the music was recorded in one fucking day just by listening at it? What kind of sensation is that?

Holy fuck! These people are really full of shit!
>>
>>51246483
It's just desperate Beyer shills, don't pay no mind to them.
I've heard that excessive exposure to high frequency noise can damage the human psyche.
>>
>>51246287
Ill get those then, thanks buddy!
>>
>>51246498
This meme has really become stale.
Man, look, you've really forced it too much lately, why don't you just reduce the amount of shitposting a bit? Maybe use it when someone actually tries to shill Beyerdynamic phones?

inb4 Beyer keks shill etc
>>
>>51246563
>Maybe use it when someone actually tries to shill Beyerdynamic phones?
Like right now?
:^)
>>
>>51246579
The shill meme, or "how to successfully destroy any possible discussion, and disrupt an entire imageboard".
>>
>>51246613
I think the animufaggots leaking out of the desktop generals are much worse, to be quite honest with you desu fampai.
>>
>>51246483
you just don't have a musical mind like most boring sennheiser autists
>>
Best way to tell if piston 3s on ebay will be real?
>>
>>51246613
What's there to fucking discuss in this retarded, pointess general?
New headphones come out rarely and most of the time they're shit.
There's hardly a dozen headphones that are actually good and worth the price.
Most people don't care for headphones that cost more than $300.

There's literally nothing to discuss. Anything anyone needs to know about buying headphones is covered in the /g/ wiki.

Look, even the fucking animetards stopped posting their pointless charts. This general is shit, dead and righfully so.
>>
Where my snapheiser shills at?
>>
>>51246875
You're free to leave and never return, my autistic friend.
>>
>>51246962
Fuck off beyer shill.

Don't you have an otolaryngologist appointment to go to?
>>
>Radically different genres require radically different headphones
>Not having various different headphones for different genres

Honestly, are you fucking retarded anon?
>>
>>51247106
i just pick the comfiest one
>>
>>51247148
So DT880?
>>
>>51247106
All genres are mastered with neutral speakers, so all genres only "require" neutral headphones. You're fucking retarded.
>>
Thoughts on the thinksound On1? I had their ts02 for about 2 years and really liked them. Is it good or overpriced garbage?
>>
>>51247229
Fucking IDIOT.

THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHmTTkqCQs&index=1&list=PLtkmLI-l7MTnDPudErhGRYT7b0evwG32z

AND THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1lvEVg1T9k

Will not sound at their best with the same headphones.
>>
>>51247283
They will on neutral ones, because the people who produced the music used neutral speakers.

Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>51247308
It doesn't mean that every album was produced under ideal condition and sounds at its best in a neutral environment.

For industrial, you want bass heavy headphones, not 'neutral'.

For death metal you want something that will distinguish every instrument so the bass guitar can shine too.
>>
>>51247332
>It doesn't mean that every album was produced under ideal condition and sounds at its best in a neutral environment.
It does mean that, unless the the producer literally doesn't know how to do his job. And if the producer did fuck up, that's no guarantee it won't sound even worse on colored headphones.
>For industrial, you want bass heavy headphones, not 'neutral'.
>For death metal you want something that will distinguish every instrument so the bass guitar can shine too.
That's already accounted for at the mastering stage. What the fuck do you think they do when mastering an album? Just merge everything into a single track without changes?

Stop spouting bullshit about things you know nothing about.
>>
>>51247451
>It does mean that, unless the the producer literally doesn't know how to do his job. And if the producer did fuck up, that's no guarantee it won't sound even worse on colored headphones.

You have very limited knowledge and experience of music genres if you say this with a straight face.

There's no point talking to you.
>>
>>51247546
You literally don't know how headphones work.
Kindly fuck off back to headfi and stop spreading misinformation.

Why is it always headphone-only idiots who seem to spout the most retarded of opinions? Can you imagine a speaker enthusiast claiming that it's better to own several colored speakers to enjoy all genres of music? Utter retardation.
>>
>>51247596
>It does mean that, unless the the producer literally doesn't know how to do his job. And if the producer did fuck up, that's no guarantee it won't sound even worse on colored headphones.
I D I O T
>>
>>51247596
So you only need one pair of headphones? Which?
>>
>>51247635
Any ones that can be equalized to be neutral with enough headroom for gain. Unless it has >10db rollofs, peaks and dips, it's good to go.
>>
>>51247702
Intense peaks and dips are fixable as long as they don't vary. See most IEMs for examples.

I feel like saying now that you can still clip a signal even only subtractive EQ. It almost always takes a brickwalled track though.
>>
Has anyone tried the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x?

How do they compare to the HD600 and the DT880?
>>
>>51247702
So like what headphones?
>>
>>51246308
No, we're not. I'm answering the anon's question. If someone tries to stir shit up from that, I hope nobody is dumb enough to fall for it.

>>51246350
Easier? HD 558. The DT880s does have "more potential" if you will. Those highs will need some careful tuning with filters to precisely match to the resonances though. It might take more time and effort to EQ the DT880s to be flat but they do have better extension and lower distortion(audibility of this is rather controversial though).
>>
Is it worth buying a pair of SoundMAGIC PL21s for $18 or the MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 for $14?
If neither of these are an option what IEMs should I get for the same price range?
Poorfag in the US.
>>
>>51246190
Agreed.
>>
>>51247106
>>51247283
>>51247332
>>51247546
>>51247616

Are you fucking 10? Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>51247838
Get ones that have reliable FR graphs measured and published and have high sensitivity.
EQ them based on the graphs.
>>
File: bifrost-multibit-1920.jpg (457 KB, 1920x1383) Image search: [Google]
bifrost-multibit-1920.jpg
457 KB, 1920x1383
What does /g/ think of multi-bit DAC in general? I'm thinking of trying the Schiit Bifrost Multibit, would be interesting too see how it differs with my Modi 2.
>>
>>51247229
Different genres undergo different mastering processes. Do you think Red Hot Chili Pepper's Californication sounds like shit (production wise) because of the headphones one uses? Of course not, it's the master process that is at fault. That album contains vast amounts of clipping due to increased volume used in the mastering process to give an artificial "boost" in the bass.
>>
>>51247894
Are you fucking 9? Jeus fucking Christ.
>>
>>51248012
not him, but this pretty much confirm his statement. congrats, anon
>>
>>51246646
>I think the animufaggots leaking out of the desktop generals are much worse, to be quite honest with you desu fampai.
How are animufaggots a desktop thread exclusive thing? Or are you specifically referring to those posters?

Desktop threads hold no value at all anyways. It's literally just a tripfag circlejerking with rice and autism.

>>51246875
Oddly enough there are plenty of people who don't know a thing about audio or people who have some valid questions about how things work or what matters which are not covered in the /g/ wiki. Without even resulting into spoonfeeding the information there's still valid discussion to be had here. And of course /hpg/ cleans up the board for the dozen headphone related questions people have every single day, mostly people looking for purchase advice.

Anon >>51246613 is right. Even in the case there was no discussion the retarded shill meme needs to die. You can't even ask for advice here without massive shitposting galore which has grown stale as it's the same thing over and over again.

>>51247106
Kill yourself.

>>51247743
From measurements it's quite easy to deduct how they compare. HD 600 is the most neutral out of the lot. DT880 is the one with a treble peak and R70X has like 5-10dB more bass with a mids/highs a bit more colored than on the HD 600s but without a large peak in the highs like DT880s. R70X will sound really bassy if you are used to neutral headphones and more bassy compared to those headphones. To me the response looks a lot like HD 650 with considerable amount of bass added.

>>51247944
Gimmick. Differences to delta-sigma only are only show in measurements in scales orders of magnitudes below what we can hear. And it isn't even inherently better type of circuit overall. Both delta-sigma and R2R ladder have their advantages and disadvantages and both can be made completely transparent. Listening to your DAC is alarming though. Stop.
>>
>>51247743
Maybe I should go to the local shop, they have a pair for demo.

>>51247811
Most headphones really. The cheap stuff starts from the Tascam TH-02 with it's poor earpads, and goes up from there.

>>51247944
>multi-bit DAC
A lot of effort for not improvement, something that is not suited to audio, technologically obsolete. Can often be worse than typical multi-bit D-S or segmented D-S. You are free to try anyway.
>>
>>51248052
Okay "not him", I am now convinced that I was wrong.
>>
>>51247976
Reducing the gain on the headphones does not affect the clipping in the source file.

It would sound like shit on neutral headphones, but colored headphones wouldn't make it sound better.
>>
>>51248084
Name some more

Would you never need an additional pair?
>>
>>51247944
It's a DAC. You aren't going to hear the difference, no matter what Schiit and Head-fi want you to believe.
>>
>>51248090
>Reducing the gain on the headphones does not affect the clipping in the source file.

Exactly. The clipping artifacts would still be present as long as you're listening to that particular mastering of the album.
>>
>>51247451
>>51247596
So why don't everyone just get the same headphones?
>>
>>51248219
Because headphone audiophiles are retarded.
Headphones are a consumer product meant for the dumb masses.
There's a reason professional audio engineers use speakers.
>>
File: 1408130349116.jpg (49 KB, 404x446) Image search: [Google]
1408130349116.jpg
49 KB, 404x446
should I get my O2/ODAC rev. b from JDS Labs or Mayflower Electronics?

Importing to the UK btw
>>
>>51248130
>Would you never need an additional pair?
It could break, it can be uncomfortable. Or you just don't like the look.

If the sound varies as you position it on your head, that doesn't work so well. For example, if the pads break seal intermittently, adding bass to fix it will not work reliably because the bass level changes constantly. Treble variation from moving it around too much relative to your ear does the same thing. Pricier headphones usually deal with these better.

Distortion is audible, but describing what distortion to look for and how much of it is audible is another thing. The only moderately consistent predictor is harmonic distortion (or THD) in the midrange and treble, and most people don't even measure it properly. But once you move past the very shittiest sounding drivers, most of the "quality" is just FR, something you can set exactly as you want with a parametric EQ.

>>51248311
Epiphany Acoustics, Head n'Hifi
>>
>>51248270
They use speakers because they're generally pretty linear
Headphones are never linear unless you do expensive measurements and equalize them
>>
File: waifuheadphonealbum.png (635 KB, 1500x800) Image search: [Google]
waifuheadphonealbum.png
635 KB, 1500x800
>>
>>51248371
>They use speakers because they're generally pretty linear
Exactly, and headphone enthusiasts buy headphones because the have "liquid mids", "fast bass response", "smooth treble", "wide soundstage" and "instrument separation".
>>
>>51248446
>headphone enthusiasts
Don't generalize. That especially doesn't hold true here at all.
>>
>>51248371
>They use speakers
No one gave the slightest damn about headphones until the 80's, and material prior to then is standardized for speaker listening. Not until very recently have headphones listening market started to grow and displace 2-channel loudspeakers.
The measuring headphones part, that doesn't apply.
>>
>>51248466
There's still people who buy dacs and amps here.
>>
>>51248507
Well I'd advice you to get those(at least an amp) if you are serious about getting the best fidelity out of your headphones. As for paying out the ass for them? Nope. O2+ODAC does the job well enough for all headphones in production.
>>
Gentle reminder that:
1) flat = hi-fi is a wrong equation
2) EQ isn't recommendable, since it causes distortion/lack in certain frequencies
3) a coloured, funny headphone that suits one's tastes is more recommendable than a flat, boring headphone that sounds like mud
4) music is made to be enjoyed, not to be analyzed
>>
>>51248708
How do you recommend a headphone to anyone when hearing is entirely subjective. It's safer to recommend a flat headphone than a colored one for that reason alone

If music is meant to be enjoyed and not analyzed, maybe you should stop listening to your gear and start listening to the music
>>
>>51248763
because people dont need to be a music genius to know they like the sound of heavy bass or lots of treble

if someone is looking for that, send them to the x2s. if they are looking to explore the world of flat studio monitoring, then let the beyershill vs senshill commence
>>
File: E10K.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
E10K.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
Just bought this to use with my AD900X, did I fuck up?
>>
>>51248708
>bait

>>51248798
Did you even need the amp?
You can judge that for yourself.
>>
>>51248763
>How do you recommend a headphone to anyone when hearing is entirely subjective
Demo headphones before you buy
>>
>>51248763
>How do you recommend a headphone to anyone when hearing is entirely subjective.
Based on music tastes/preferences

>If music is meant to be enjoyed and not analyzed, maybe you should stop listening to your gear and start listening to the music
Since I'm neither a Sennshill nor a Beyerkek, listening to and enjoying my music is exactly what I do.
>>
I finally need good in-ear headphones
I have about 200€, what do I buy?
I live in europe, and I listen to hip-hop and rock mostly if that matters
also I will use them with my phone and laptop only
>>
>>51248817
Exactly, but that's not a recommendation that's the person checking for themselves and seeing what they prefer

Headphone recommendations in general are pretty fucking stupid
>>
>>51248563
My Sansa Clip is literally perflat, it cost me $40 and only part of that price went into the DAC.
It drives anything short of a HD 600 and has 1 ohm output impedance, meaning I can plug a balanced armature IEM into it and be sure that the sound won't be affected.
The only flaw of that thing is that nobody bothered to write a usb audio driver for them, so I can't use it as an external DAC.

Meanwhile "good" dacs cost around $100
>>
>>51248792
And what are you going to recommend if they don't know what they like?

Hell, how are you going to recommend a headphone based on "i like bass" or "i like treble" alone? Not all bassy headphones sound the same and not all bright headphones sound the same
>>
>>51248816
It feels pretty good. I had some problems with windows 10 and its shitty sound drivers, but now every thing sound clean and clear, the bass boost is really nice too.
>>
>>51248869
a person that doesnt know if they like bass or other mainstream words? how old is this person, 8? you shouldnt be talking to 8 year olds man, youd be a pedo
>>
>>51248708
1) Wrong.
2) Makes no sense, also wrong.
3) Colored is not fun. Flat sounds clear.
4) I agree. Getting a flat response from your system means that you are listening to the music and not your audio gear.

>>51248855
Clip has hiss with my IEMs and limited output power. It can get loud yes but not without running into distortion. It also lacks features I want like a proper EQ.
>>
>>51248916
Maybe they don't know how emphasized or recessed bass sounds in a headphone? How fucking retarded are you? Oh wait you're recommending people headphones based on nothing but your little experience and shilling what you own

10/10
>>
>>51248929
> It also lacks features I want like a proper EQ.
Rockbox has a full parametric equalizer.
>>
>>51248945
>someone that doesnt know if they like bass or not
>coming to me about concerns of emphasized or recessed bass

but this wont happen. in fact they probably wouldnt even be asking for a recommendation, because they wouldnt understand that it even mattered. they probably think that headphones above $50 are a scam

and for the record, i have never made a recommendation here before... lol
>>
>>51249016
You must be really new here. There are plenty of posts where the request form is filled out and the answer to "preferred tonal balance" is "i dunno lol"
>>
DAILY REMINDER THAT YOU ARE HERE RIGHT NOW TO JUSTIFY WHY YOU SPENT MORE THAN $100 ON PLACEBO
>>
>>51248839
>Headphone recommendations in general are pretty fucking stupid
Yes.
>>
Is Asus essence one muses edition any good?
>>
>>51249074
Why are you here?
>>
poorfag here: Superlux HD-681 or HD-668 B ? mostly used for games/movies
>>
>>51249129

Basically what I said.
After all the times I shilled X2, and make seinheiser and beyer look bad, I had an epiphany.
>>
>>51249168
What epiphany? How are Beyer or Sennheiser better than X2 (flatness/neutrality aside)?
I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious, I don't mean to provoke.
>>
File: tmp_8901-AIAIAI-TMA-111550081389.jpg (244 KB, 1380x1518) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8901-AIAIAI-TMA-111550081389.jpg
244 KB, 1380x1518
I like my headphones, even though they're not that accurate :)
>>
>>51249205
Just EQ them :)
>>
>>51246483
>>51246563
>>51246875
>>51247106
>>51247009
>>51247283
>>51247546
>>51247596
>>51247616
>>51247894
>>51248012
>>51248052
>>51248086
>>51248270
>>51248916

stop shitting up the fucking thread
stop acting like little fucking kids and have a goddamn civilized discussion

notice theres only 34 posters

you and your kind's degeneracy is killing this general and /g/
>>
>>51249215
I do. I think it's nice that they provide measurements for the headphones
>>
File: 9224860925982.jpg (30 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
9224860925982.jpg
30 KB, 600x449
what does /hpg/ think?
>>
>>51249387
on ear/10
>>
>>51249032
sorry went to get cake
theyre just afraid to give an answer like "i luv bass!!11" cause they dont want to seem retarded. they think theyre in a prestigious area
>>
>>51249427
>sorry went to get cake
Thanks for letting us know.
>>
>>51249454
np. in /pol/ i wouldnt have to say anything because i would have an american flag, and they would assume that since i was gone i was getting food, but i dont have that here unfortunately
>>
>>51249465
Probably time to go back to /pol/
>>
>>51249201
What I said here.
>>51249074

To justify spending more than $100 on audio.
Shitting on other brand make me feel better.
>>
I have a question: why people buy studio headphones, and other audio gear clearly built with a purpose, that is different from the average consumer needs?
>>
>>51249770
Because "studio headphones" is a marketing term, usually applied to "higher end" headphones.
>>
>>51249770
Because professional equipment is better than consumer equipment
>>
>>51249807
Why then the contrary isn't true as well?
I don't think studios will use any audiophile equipment.
>>
>>51249770
because many consumer headphones are sold more on the basis of their looks or distorted sound signature than on accuracy.
>>
>>51249862
>any audiophile equipment.
Studios use some "audiophile" equipment, just not on the "luxury end" (at which point it becomes a what constitutes placebo question) , sturdy mostly neutral headphones are used at studios to mix audio.
>>
>>51249937
So, where would you draw the line between what's good and what's placebo?
>>
>>51249975
I think that's a personal question, although in my personal experience sound was the primary driving factor, at one point I can't hear the difference so I look for comfort, durability, removable cable...etc. In short about 300~ usd
>>
>>51249862
That's the case for everything but headphones, because headphone manufacturers don't really draw a line between studio and audiophile gear, though Beyerdynamic do, or their line of studio headphones is garbage compared to their "audiophile" line.

You'll never see a tube amp in a studio these days nor a 'hi-fi' speaker, you'll see solid state solutions with multiple inputs and outputs along with studio monitors
>>
>Budget
price <= $150

>Location
Canada

>Source
PC and mobile

>Preferred type of headphone
Full-sized

>Open or closed
Open is preferred but not required

>Comfort level
Several hours of wear without discomfort

>Preferred tonal balance
Heavier on the bass. That's the most important.

>Preferred music
EDM.

>Past headphones
Razer Krakens. Outstanding for price-to-performance, but they keep breaking.
>>
>>51250131
XPT100
>>
File: Shit_taste_confirmed___HQ.jpg (397 KB, 1366x800) Image search: [Google]
Shit_taste_confirmed___HQ.jpg
397 KB, 1366x800
Let's lively up this thread a bit
>>
Please help I am a poorfag

>Budget
$1-$15 including shipping
>Location
USA - Michigan
>Source
computer??
The kind with a cushion that covers your ears either mostly or completely. Earbuds give me a migraine, one too tight also gives me a migraine.
>Open or closed
?
>Comfort level
Not too tight but not picky at all after that
>Preferred tonal balance
Has sound
>Preferred music
Shitty youtube rips
>Past headphones
http://www.amazon.com/Inland-87050-Dynamic-Headphones-Control/dp/B000E5FQSC

The current one (linked above) has some wiring issues at the far end of the cord and is cutting out now. I wasn't sure if I should just order a replacement or get something new.
>>
what should I ge M50x's or DT770's
>>
>>51251379
dt770
>>
>>51251388
Ty
>>
>>51247451

I don't understand why you're assuminig this. Do you understand what budgets 90s black metal was recorded/mastered on, for example?
>>
>>51251706
>it's recorded and mastered badly, therefore fucking it up even further with colored headphones and other gear is fine
Nice logic
>>
>>51251743
You're just assuming that any headphones will fuck it up badly.
>>
>>51251706
>90s black metal

that isnt music anon
>>
>>51251766
You're assuming that the headphone will improve it in any way because you're clearly smarter than the producer
>>
>>51251795
Yeah I don't think you're in your element talking about this when it comes to cases like that.

The "producer" is some amateur guy who got paid 10$ in some wooden shack in the middle of norway. You refer to any producer as a professional you cannot question.
>>
>>51251815
And you're even lower than "some amateur guy who got paid 10$ in some wooden shack in the middle of norway"

Regardless of how well or poorly the music is produced or mastered, coloring the sound with inaccurate headphones results in lost fidelity.

Anyone who actually wants to listen to -the music- would not be listening through a colored source
>>
>>51251855
I didn't make the headphones, and also I'm not.

You're just spouting a misinformed opinion as fact.
>>
>>51251876
What part of frequency response is an opinion? What part of accurate or inaccurate sound reproduction is not fact?

I bet you don't even EQ your headphones and just live with the fact that they're colored trash and you'll never hear what your music actually sounds like
>>
>>51251927
Except I do, doesn't mean certain headphones won't sounds better for certain music.
>>
>>51251976
Stop listening to your gear you retarded audiophile
>>
>>51251987
Ok
>>
>>51251795
>>51251815
>>51251855
>>51251876
>>51251927
>>51251976
>>51251987

i need a break from this cancer

stop making a general its pointless you cant escape the obnoxious retardation

uncivilized middle school arguing
>>
>>51252083
are you surprised when this thread is full of furries, normalfags and shitposters who are brand loyalists this thread is fucking useless for new information and discussion
>>
>>51252083
Sounds like you aren't enjoying your first day here
>>
What's /g/'s opinion on the AKG K550s?

I seem to remember these threads being full of AKG but this one hardly mentions them.
>>
File: EQ.png (19 KB, 442x226) Image search: [Google]
EQ.png
19 KB, 442x226
r8 my EQ
after boosting mids and treble a bit they sound like I've lifted a heavy blanket off of the singer and percussion
Is this what people mean when they say Beyerdynamics sound very V-shaped? More treble and bass, recessed mids? I kind of like it.
>>
What is the best possible headphones I can buy for listening to music and is very comfortable with long period use?
>>
>>51252394
>boosting frequencies without lowering the preamp
>no chart to show the results
i r8 it -10/10
>>
best 50 dollar closed headphones?
best 50 dollar open headphones?
im talking comfort and aesthetics and looks and sound and shit
>>
>>51252492
gemini hsr-1000
takstar hi2050
>>
>>51252276
>k550
Pad issues can result in loss of bass.
Treble be spiky, and peaky.
>AKG
It's just the season. K7XX and K612 are still talked about, just not right now.

>>51252394
Don't use the itunes EQ.
>>
>>51252467
>>51252394
What do you EQ on? Just your music player?

How do you know what to do?
>>
>>51252504
thanks so much. probably gonna get the gemini hsr-100
>>
>>51252394
>itunes eq
>itunes at all
>>
File: f98cd8fbbb[1].png (662 KB, 453x604) Image search: [Google]
f98cd8fbbb[1].png
662 KB, 453x604
I always find myself turning down the mids on every headphone ive owned like atleast 2 db, do any of you do the same? they always get under my skin.
>>
>>51252548
>What do you EQ on?
Equalizer APO + Peace GUI
>Just your music player?
No.
>How do you know what to do?
I google 'preamp' and 'digital clipping'.
>>
>>51252438

philips shp9500
>>
>>51252548
>What do you EQ on?
EasyQ, Equalizer APO, Neutron player, AU Lab+Soundflower
>Just your music player?
EQ APO and AU Lab+Soundflower are system wide. Maybe I'll get around to doing something system wide on Android and the V4A convolver.
>How do you know what to do?
Ears, noise bursts, sine sweeps. Back off the preamp based on peaks added to the EQ. Still back off the EQ even if I'm just making cuts.
>>
>>51252715
So these are the best possible? They seem cheap for a the best headphones you can get for audio
>>
>>51252759
>Back off the preamp based on peaks added to the EQ. Still back off the EQ even if I'm just making cuts.
I don't get these two sentences
>>
>>51252833
lower the preamp value by the highest value gain you have added in the EQ
>>
>>51252833
Digital places a hard limit on signals, signals that try to go over distort.
The pre-amp reduces the general level in the EQ, and if you add to the EQ, a bump in the response, you have to reduce preamp to compensate.

Even if you only make cuts in the EQ, you can still clip. The most obvious and simple example is making a cut using a rolloff filter or a shelf cut with a standard EQ. Anything more than a very slow slope gives you ripple, little peaks near the cutoff point.
>>
File: 1408993825073.png (616 KB, 1432x700) Image search: [Google]
1408993825073.png
616 KB, 1432x700
My hair 1080 my teeth 240 my blunts 4K and my dope you couldn't load it
>>
>>51252968
>>51252848

What does your EQ look like? How did you get to that?
>>
pretty comfy desu
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 640x417
>>51253166
>>
>>51247332
A neutral speaker should be able to do that, if you need to fix the mastering because it doesn't sound fine on neutral speakers you can toy around with eq'ing, or Treble/Bass knobs like in the old days
>>51248488
>No one gave the slightest damn about headphones until the 80's
I believe it was more like until the 00's
>>
>>51253251
>le AM radio meme

Better than your dogshit DT880s.
>>
>>51248950
This, any rockbox player has a parametric eq, iirc you have 10 bands+low and hi shelf
I just discovered mpv can use libavfilter parametric eq, I can enjoy the same setup regardless of media now
>>
>>51253166
>>51253251
>>51253310
I feel like I've seen this somewhere before

Oh right, >>51241432
>>
>>51249770
Studio headphones used to mean that they would isolate well, be fairly accurate, and pretty durable
Nowadays it's just another buzzword
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 280x280
>>51253310
mfw 880s measure almost identical to HD800 that sennshills endlessly praise
>>
>>51253360
Not all Sennshills in these threads praise HD800 though
>>
File: hd800eq.png (10 KB, 1413x669) Image search: [Google]
hd800eq.png
10 KB, 1413x669
>>51253086
Not one of the anons you replied to but here is my EQ for HD 800s using EQ APO.

Channel: all
Preamp: -6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 15 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 22 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 2
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 45 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 170 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 0.5
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 550 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 0.5
Filter 18: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1
Filter 19: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1
Filter 20: ON PK Fc 2900 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2
Filter 21: ON PK Fc 3200 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 2.5
Filter 22: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 3
Filter 23: ON PK Fc 4673 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2.5
Filter 24: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 6
Filter 25: ON PK Fc 5600 Hz Gain -8.5 dB Q 3.5
Filter 26: ON PK Fc 6200 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 2
Filter 27: ON PK Fc 6600 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 2
Filter 28: ON PK Fc 7200 Hz Gain -10.5 dB Q 3
Filter 29: ON PK Fc 7800 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 4
Filter 30: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 3
Filter 31: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 3

If you really want to effectively EQ, use a parametric equalizer. Simple band EQ is inaccurate and inefficient.
>>
>>51253433
That's a shitton of bands son
>>
>>51253433
How did you reach these settings? Just playing around?
>>
>>51253433
>5db to -10db on a frequency difference of 400 hz

i mean if that sounds alright i guess
>>
Here you can see what is presumably a pair of a900x for ~160 CAD by Audio-Technica http://www.amazon.ca/Technica-ATH-900x-Audiophile-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B005TCZIQA

While here is a pair of a900x for ~400 CAD by Audio Technica http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B006V386UG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1977604502&amp;pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&amp;pf_rd_t=201&amp;pf_rd_i=B005TCZIQA&amp;pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&amp;pf_rd_r=0B6ZDXC9E9PNTX6CB52P

Which one is the official distributor? Are these both the same headphones? Why the huge difference in price? Are both products the same?

btw I assume 900x aren't actually a product since I can't find anything about them by googling

Also dimensions:

160 pair

3.8 x 21.6 x 25.4 cm

400 pair

27.9 x 21 x 12.7 cm

WAT
>>
>>51253449
Yes i could do with less. It gets tricky when you want to effectively null some of the peaky resonances quite close to each other.

>>51253455
Using sine sweeps to listen through the frequency range. When you hear a peak or dip, you apply an EQ filter at that frequency of a suitable magnitude and Q value. Then you listen through it again and again until the coloration is gone. I used sine sweeps and played around with Sinegen for hours.

>>51253475
Wider filters effect others around it. At no point is the result varying that much as you can see from the graph. And yes the result of this is a very neutral response.
>>
>>51253592
What do you use for sine sweeping? I've generated sweeps with foobar and shit but there's no indication as to what frequency it is
>>
>>51253611
Enable the spectrum visualization and stretch it across the monitor. For this reason Sinegen is handy. You know what frequency you are playing.
>>
Need a recommendation for headphone
Need one specislised for listening to music, I listen to anime and touhou music
For a computer
Want one that is extreemly comfortable for long wear, going to be wearing it for 7 hours or more, umm I don't mind sacraficing comfort for sound quality
Needs to be under £200
Live in London, UK
Would like open headphone also full sized please
>>
File: 1368227244406.png (732 KB, 1300x417) Image search: [Google]
1368227244406.png
732 KB, 1300x417
>>51253698
>I listen to anime and touhou music
>>
>>51253838
Glad someone pointed that out, I was about to but I know how /g/ has a reputation for being considered one of the nicer boards
>>
>>51253838
mmm ok, give me some good music to listen to then
>>
File: 1400347023768.jpg (61 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
1400347023768.jpg
61 KB, 500x496
>>51253863
>>
>>51253876
???
>>
>>51253876
btw got me some recommendations :)?
>>
>>51253963
vocaloids and nu metal(AMV the genre) ;))))
>>
>>51253972
I mean the headphones
>>
>>51253698
>>51253838
>anime and tougou music
>anime characters reaction
oh, the irony.

About the headphone, newer K702, DT880, AD900X and HD558 are all comfortable and have different signatures, so do some research on each to find your preffered signature, the last two don't need amping at all, DT880 might benefit from one depending on impedance.
>>
>>51254017
That was part of the joke, retard.

The post still stands though, anime, touhou, vocaloid, all that shit is garbage music but remember where you are
>>
>>51252438
>>51252805
What Is your budget
>>
>>51254071
£200, also just for interest also tell me a headphone I can get with if I had £2000
>>51254032
Give some good music I can listen to
>>
>>51254095
If you're incapable of finding good music yourself and you're only able to find weeaboo garbage to listen to you should probably just give up on life because you're probably just as incompetent at everything else you do
>>
>>51254095
Anon just gave you a few suggestions >>51254017
>>
>>51254109
not worse than metal-fags
>>
>Budget
price <= $150

>Location
Australia

>Source
Mobile

Full-sized+Wireless

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Several hours of wear without discomfort

>Preferred tonal balance
Warm

>Preferred music
Slow,chill and bass heavy

>Past headphones
Marshal Majors, these headphones sound fine to me but i just need a wireless alternative for when im at the gym
>>
>>51254032
Vocaloid is trash, but there's some decent anime OSTs and Touhou features many genres.
>>
>>51254109
I like nightcore, what do you think of it?
>>
>>51254143
Touhou is trash and ZUN is a hack who can't compose to save his life

Just fuck off you retarded weeaboo
>>
>>51254158
Post your superior music taste then.
>>
>>51254234
>hit the nail on the head so flawlessly he resorted to this overused response
We're not in primary school anymore
>>
>>51254234
Why are still aswering to that troll Anon? Not only he is shitting on your tastes in general, he is also not contributing to the threads topic nor your original post.
>>
>Budget
$500
>Location
US
>Source
Objective2 (in the mail)
Circumaural
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Must be comfy
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
Classical, Jazz
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-V6, Etymotic Research HF5 and many others, but I like the neutral sound of the MDR-V6 and Etymotic Research HF5 the best.
>>
What's the problem with anime music again?
>>
>>51254322
It's bad
>>
File: 1432336138075.jpg (884 KB, 1228x868) Image search: [Google]
1432336138075.jpg
884 KB, 1228x868
>>51254322
Nothing, people who have shit taste just wouldn't understand why it's gr8.
>>
>>51254322
It's for autistic people
>>
>>51254342
Sometimes I wish I could be this delusional just to live in the bliss of absolute ignorance

Maybe I should start buying tube amps too
>>
>>51254322
it's like movie music, some are good, some are bad and, as with all things, some people have too much opinion and too little knowledge about it.
>>
>>51254134
wear iem's at the gym not look like a retard with fullsized headphones
>>
File: 1428890472237.jpg (216 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
1428890472237.jpg
216 KB, 640x637
>>51254322
Nothing
>>
>>51254332
k
>>51254342
Nobody gives an actual reason why it's "shit", maybe you're right
>>51254356
Like the autistic beyerdynamic vs sennheiser fights that happen here?
>>
>>51254385
But I listen to plenty of anime music and I'm aware that it's bad. Guilty pleasure
>>
>>51254317
HD600.
>>
why is this general the /b/ of /g/?
>>
>>51254415
Because you're here
>>
>>51254407
I don't care.
>>
>>51254433
You don't have to care. You just have to know that you're delusional if you think it's good.

Just like anime in general. If you don't realize all of it is garbage and think any of it is good, you're living in a dream world
>>
File: 1446337352370.jpg (32 KB, 720x351) Image search: [Google]
1446337352370.jpg
32 KB, 720x351
>>51254454
We all have to escape from reality in some way, anon. You have your escapes, whether or not you realize it.
>>
>>51254484
Of course I do, I'm just not deluded into thinking they're good while some people like to waste time raving on about how good they are
>>
You guys realize that there's one guy that argues with everyone in these threads for the sake or arguing, right?

We know he uses DT880s, SMSL amp and has JBL LSR305 monitors, considering how hard he shills those.

Literally here 24/7, the new resident permavirgin shitposter. If you can't see his posting habits, you're retarded.

Don't reply to him.
>>
>>51254454
>You don't have to care.
and i don't, your opinions add nothing to the topic of the thread, we already got /mu/ for when we need hipsters to spout their opinions on what music genre is bad.
>>
>>51254534
>opinions
Keep being delusional kek
>>
>>51254523
>posting about yourself to start up shit
Nice try CG
>>
>anime is shit
Its fucking hilarious how you normalfags keep pushing your shit on a fucking imageboard where you can't even refresh a page without there being an anime related banner. You dipshits sure did come in full force after those retards on /b/ kept getting themselves on the news.
>>
File: hue.png (190 KB, 1024x1270) Image search: [Google]
hue.png
190 KB, 1024x1270
>>51254523
>CG shilling/bashing just one brand.
last time CG got banned all the shitposting in the thread was deleted at the same time, and it was almost half of the thread.
>>
>>51254547
>>51254557
You're literally the new ComfyGrados.

Find a new hobby, just how much pleasure do you get from shitposting 24/7 on /hpg/?
>>
>>51254589
I watch anime yet I'm sane enough to realize it's shit. Don't get too buttblasted about glorious Japan being shit on there, you sad little weeaboo
>>
>>51254617
Sup CG, shouldn't you be starting another Senn vs Beyer debate right about now
>>
>>51251333
post lewd anime girls :3
>>
>>51254628
And when did I say Japan isn't the birthplace of shit taste? The Japanese have shit taste for everything. Yet there's always a bunch of you normalfags complaining about there being the presence of anime here. Just leave and go back to reddit.
>>
>>51254605

Fun fact, one of the guys who was banned in that thread was the HD800/LS50/catfag, he used to shill HD600s massively.

I've been here way too long, I know most posters and their habits, let me guess you are BR anon?
>>
>>51254680
I'm not complaining about the presence of anime, stop projecting.

>reddit
Wasn't is /b/ just a second ago? You're really shitting out a little of meme redirects to fit in, aren't you? Cute
>>
>>51254705
Stop posting.
>>
>>51254741
Probably time to go back to whatever board you came from
>>
>>51254751
Not even the guy you replied to, just fucking stop posting.
>>
>>51254768
Fuck off CG
>>
>>51254705
Can you not read? I said /b/'s stupid shit got them on the news which is part of the reason why cancer from other places flooded to 4chan. I refer normalfags to leddit because that's where they belong. You wouldn't know any of this because you probably started coming to 4chan less than a year ago or are part of the cancer.
>>
>>51254777
Nice trips, but you really need to stop posting.
>>
File: hue2.png (330 KB, 2096x963) Image search: [Google]
hue2.png
330 KB, 2096x963
>>51254700
>BR anon
I see my not so good english grammar still shows more than it should... Or was it the image title?
Anyway, it's weird for someone who has a HD800 to defend so much the HD600, they sound so different, but then again, brand-shilling never made much sense to me.
>>
>>51254782
Feels good to know I've been here longer than you, newfriend

And by here I mean the site as a whole because you reek of new and memespouting to fit in
>>
File: 1371547332347.gif (593 KB, 350x264) Image search: [Google]
1371547332347.gif
593 KB, 350x264
>>51254680
>Japan has shit taste in everything but don't you dare call my sacred chinese cartoons bad!
>>
>>51254791
Both, your grammar is fine, btw.

He shilled the HD600 so darn heavily because that's what he owned before buying the HD800.

Most people want to rationalize their purchases to make themselves feel secure, it's not really shilling IMO.
>>
File: ath_adg1_1_sq.jpg (1 MB, 2892x2892) Image search: [Google]
ath_adg1_1_sq.jpg
1 MB, 2892x2892
Wow, didn't know AT made headsets.

So I know it's a headset but... any good?
>>
>>51254894
no get a k702 and a mod mic
>>
>>51254894
Overpriced.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.