[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on cyanogenmod? Apart from the fact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: RU3ThtD.png (413 KB, 480x854) Image search: [Google]
RU3ThtD.png
413 KB, 480x854
What's your opinion on cyanogenmod? Apart from the fact its a pain in the ass to install
>>
Be thankful you have a device that has an unlocked bootloader
>>
Pain in the ass? Are you retarded or just baiting?

In my view Cyanogen is like Ubuntu (But good on its own) and other devs take it and build their own far superior ROMS. Like Resurrection Remix, TeslaROM, Blisspop etc.
>>
back when i had a nexus 4 and 7 i flashed both and the settings app broke when i changed the boot animation. so no it sucks
>>
I use it in my Nexus 5 since I bought it and I like it. It just works, it isn't slow, it was easy to install.

I've never bothered trying another custom ROMs but CyanogenMod worked and keep working fine for me. Currently on 12.1 + Fdroid for apps, no Gapps.
>>
>>51238647
Love it. Shit simple to install and use. Very active irc channel, which is important to me.
>>
Hell of a lot better than the TW ROM my GS3 was using before. That isn't saying much, though.

Also it's not difficult to install.
>>
>>51239156
Maybe you flashed an unlucky nightly. Did you try the other versions for your phone? Some break and some may not. I encountered bugs in a certain version but then I just changed it to the next previous and have been using that ever since for the past 3 years. Also, do not update using the update mastered l manager. It's recommend to clean install everytime for a new update
>>
>>51239018

Do any of those other roms actually add anything worthwhile? I've used CM for years across multiple devices but never saw the point in any of the roms based on it.
>>
>>51238647
It just weeks for me
>>
My first time installing CM was a nightmare since I installed it at 3am in the morning and had no fucking idea what I'm doing. Even now I don't dare to touch my device for the fear of fucking everything up, I don't even know what is going on.
>>
>>51239708
They mostly just offer more/different customization options
>>
>>51240150
It's magic son. Unless you know how to solder a CPU, i'd stay away from electronic devices.
>>
>>51240150
>mfw there are actually people like this on /g/ at this very instant

Flashing ROMs on phones is literally the easiest shit ever. You follow the same instructions every time, and if anything goes wrong you just boot into recovery and restore from a backup.
>>
>>51238647
Installed a Nightly in 15 mins, was stable as fuck. Works fine
>>
>>51240321
>backup
>>
>>51240295
installing an OS is not at all as hard as soldering a CPU.
>>
>>51239008
You just have to research what device you're buying and not blindly choose based off buzzwords.
>>
File: nokia_n9_review_sg_571-820x420.jpg (77 KB, 820x420) Image search: [Google]
nokia_n9_review_sg_571-820x420.jpg
77 KB, 820x420
It's still Android
Most device maintainers are indian
Codebase is still fragmented per-device OS instead of a per-device HAL

Literally shit
>>
>>51240672
Uh what do Indians have to do with that?
And every device has different drivers. It'll be difficult to consolidate it to support so many already fragmented models.
>>
>>51238647
Buggy currynigger garbage.
Stock+Xposed all the way.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-08-11-01-39.png (30 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-08-11-01-39.png
30 KB, 480x800
i am running the nigtly build of cm 12.1 on my i9100. it runs great. no gapps, just f-droid.
>>
>>51240584
lol ask Ahmed, he does it in his room.
>>
If it had spen commands and action memo I would use it as my daily driver for note 3
>>
>>51238647
>What's your opinion on cyanogenmod?
It's a great way to give your low spec phone, extra life. Once you remove gapp, and put freecyngn turns your phone to a really lightweight computer. I have really low spec phone that has 513MB of Ram, and 1GB of storage. Having Touchwiz, and your carrier slap bloatware can really hammer done the performance of my phone.

However the fragmentation of development support is a really big problem since your won't even get updates because not every port of cyanogenmod is officially supported by the developers. My phone uses a unofficial port of CM11, which isn't supported by the CM team. Android has a really big problem of decentralized software support, and developer support. Android OEM forking and changing core os of Android is really fucking everything up. I'm basically stuck on Kitkat and CM11 because there is no more updates coming for the future of my shitty Samsung phone. It's still better then dealing with touchwiz, but the current situation suck balls.
>>
improved battery life fuckloads, get like 20 hours on full charge now with regular use. i only use my phone for music, messaging and calls so i dont really need my phone to do anything else (galaxy note 2 lte)
>>
gs3mini, now running golden 4.4.4

installed gapps but disabled them using ccleaner, seems to work best
installed xprivacy-xposed, holly fucking ram saver batman
bought extended battery, this lil fucker runs 3-4 days with WiFi on and 2-3hrs browsing a day
>>
what the fuck is the heads up thingy
I can't figure it out, doesn't seem to do shit for me
>>
>>51238647
How is flashing a ROM a pain in the arse?
>>
>>51243217
not so much a pain the arse, but for green noobs bricking a 200-600 buck phone can be a bit of a bugger and a costly mistake
>>
>>51243365
Wait you can brick it while installing cm ? There are like a bazillion tutorials and neutrals and whatever elder how to install it how can you call to follow basic instructions
>>
>>51238647
What's the difference between CyanogenMOD and Cyanogen OS?
>>
>>51243562
c'mon bro, not everyone is as savvy as us o/g's, I don't mind admitting i bricked my Sony x10mini 5yrs ago using an early cm, I did manage to unbrick but a lot of ppl wouldn't manage to

it's only easy of you know what your doing

you only learn by trying
>>
carcinogenmod lel
>>
>>51239249
I've been Gapps free for nearly a year on my S5. Flashed a minimal installation of Gapps last month and battery life is like 70% of what it used to be.
>>
Would cyno be good to flash on an s5?
>>
>>51246077
Just do a backup first and try it. Search for your device on this page and follow le wiki.

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Devices#vendor=%22Samsung%22;
>>
I'm still on an older Galaxy Note 2, but CyanogenMod runs light as fuck and is still buttery smooth. I just upgraded to CM 12.1 and got a boost to battery life too. Highly recommended 9/10 breddy gud
>>
>>51247029
It's says on the link to not try om att. I have att. Is it ok to try?
>>
>>51247348
absolutely! go for it!
>>
>>51243575
CM: Community driven project to provide devices with a lighter and more feature filled OS.
Cyanogen OS: commercialized version of CM, devised by a CEO who felt like taking CM back to the days when the devs were called "team DOUCHE". Had the goal of replacing Google's spyware, ended up replacing it with boxy and MS's spyware.
>>
>>51247724
If you get a phone with CyanogenOS, is it possible to remove the spyware? Or are you fucked with Google crapps, BING and whatever the fuck else stuck on there until you can wipe it with root or custom firmware?
>>
>>51240672
>>51242444
Is currynigger the new LEL EPIC MAYMAY?

I hope it gets wordfiltered before it's too late.
>>
So if I were to go no-Gapps, would there be any way to download my previously purchased apps other than shady websites?
>>
>>51240321

Until you do what I did and used Clockwork recovery on a GS4, try to make a backup of the stock ROM, then reboot and it just bootloops. TWRP all the way.
>>
>>51238647
It's great. It adds features, improves performance and battery life and it helps getting off Google's all seeing eye.

I never buy a phone if it has no cm support.
>>
>>51248217
>saying "maymay"
kill yourslef
>>
>>51242444
>implying Xposed doesn't make unstable as shit everything it touches
>>
>A pain in the ass to install

Install TWRP via fastboot flash recovery
Copy .zip of ROM onto phone
Copy .zip of GAPPS onto phone
Boot into recovery
Wipe system, cache, dalvik cache
Flash Cyanogenmod and GAPPS
Reboot

This is "a pain in the ass" to you?
>>
>>51249578
yes
>>
>>51238647
My experience:
>gps without internet doesn't work
>shit camera but solved by installing google camera
>phone gets a lot warmer when playing games than it was with the stock rom and sometimes they lag.

However everything else that cm brings + the improved battery life makes cm worth it.
>>
>>51249602

Do you also consider it to be a pain in the ass to install Linux on a desktop? The process is similar.

>Switch BIOS to legacy boot and set boot order to boot from USB or DVD before HDD
>Copy Linux .iso to a boot device
>Boot up computer with boot device insertede
>Go through installer, wiping or partitioning the disk, and selecting options
>Reboot after installer finished
>>
>>51239008
Yeah.... don't buy phones straight from at&t/ verizon
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.