[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one calculate the total wattage for the PSU, or the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 10712934.jpg (30 KB, 448x447) Image search: [Google]
10712934.jpg
30 KB, 448x447
How does one calculate the total wattage for the PSU, or the PSU one is going to need from their computer build?
>>
Google "Computer watt calculator"
>>
>>50825853
This.
Do not buy a powersupply that just meets your needs, you want your system at full power to take up less than 80% of the psu, less if you're buying a cheap brand.
>>
File: efficiency-curve1[1].jpg (34 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
efficiency-curve1[1].jpg
34 KB, 500x318
>add up the total wattage of individual components under average load (which you should be able to find in manufacturer's specifications or google)
>buy a PSU with double wattage
Modern PSUs are most efficient under ~50% load, pic related, so you should aim for that.
>>
>>50825853
>Computer watt calculator
Is this the only way? Because I read on tomshardware.com that these things don't calculate that well. They don't take into account idle load and full load.
>>
>>50825902
>Modern PSUs are most efficient under ~50% load
Low power draw is generally when PSUs perform the worse. Generally want at least 50% power draw. Your graph shows that too.

Generally far as gaming PCs go you want a 750watt with a single card. Unless it's a budget build.
>>
>>50825917

They don't calculate well, but they're a good place to get a rough estimation. The only way to know how much your components will draw is to measure that yourself. The idea is to get a rough idea of what kind of power you'll need and buy a PSU well above that.
>>
>>50825853
Do you double the wattage after the calculator total/results?
>>
>>50826169
You can but you'll be spending a ton of money. I'd only do that if you knew your computer was going to be under load all day.
>>
>>50826169

Also if you're taking that other anon's advice (>>50825902) he said look at the average power draw of your components and double that. E.g. if your computer uses 300w just staying on you should aim somewhere around 600w.
>>
>>50826192
What about what this guy said:
>>50826065
>buy a PSU well above that.
>>
>>50825774
A good quality 500w power supply is more than enough for a single GPU gaymen PC.
>>
>>50826214
That was me. I was saying if you're going to use an online calculator that gives a rough estimate of your max power draw then you should stay on the safe side and get a PSU that can do more than the estimate says. It's better to have a PSU that can do more than you need than to try and strain a cheaper PSU.
>>
>>50826250
Alright, I see. What do you think about finding out the power consumption yourself and doubling the wattage?
>>
Also make sure you've got enough amps for whatever you need.

Had a 650 ultra watt PSU as a temporary replacement for a 6year old Corsair 850. Had to use a bunch of molex adapters to run my 760 and DIY'd a molex to SATA pinout.

The damn thing starts turning off after I upgrade to a 144 hz monitor because of not enough power. It would be stable at first if I turned down to 60 hz, but it just started getting worse and worse.
>>
>>50826284

If you were going to do that you need to look for the average wattage. It'll save you money in the long run since your PSU will be running more efficiently, but it's not necessary. I never bothered myself.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.