[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First digital camcorder that could record in 16:9 aspect ratio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 307623.jpg (86 KB, 558x336) Image search: [Google]
307623.jpg
86 KB, 558x336
I'm working on a project and I'm looking for the first ever consumer or prosumer camera that could record real 16:9 footage, or some lame widescreen that was actually 4:3 cropped. The best I could find is the Sony DVW 970, released in 1993, but something before that would be better for me.
>>
can i ask why?
>>
>>50796213
I'm working on a movie set before 1993, and I'd like to have a short part with found footage in it. The footage would fill the whole screen, so I'd prefer if it did that in 16:9 instead of 4:3.
>>
>>50796248
you could just drop 4:3 footage to 16:9, since you're recording it it won't be hard to keep content in-frame

even if the viewfinder doesn't into 16:9 you could use a simple paper cutout or similar to cover the top and bottom so you don't mess up
>>
>>50796302
s/drop/crop/
>>
>>50796302
Yeah, thats kind of like my plan B for it, but I've got really curious about finding the earliest 16:9 digital camcorder. Google and wikipedia was sadly of no use, so I hoped you guys would know a website or something for this kind of thing.
>>
File: a.jpg (115 KB, 1721x720) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
115 KB, 1721x720
>>50796302
also should be mentioned that early widescreen (i'm talking 50's) was done with standard film, with a simple distorted "anamorphic" lens attached to the camera, which is vertically "compressed", then later streched when played back

this obviously requires a special lens to record, cropping is simpler but has a resolution loss
>>
>>50796412
I know, but I'm looking for a digital consumer or prosumer camcorder. 8, 16 and 35mm films are not an option.
>>
>>50796412
Also a special lens to project
>>
>>50796491
i didn't mention it on the last line because it wouldn't apply to op, as he'd just be streching the image with software
>>
>>50796248
Wouldn't it be a bit more realistic to keep the found footage 4:3?
>>
>>50796975
It would, but the other people involved in the project voted against it. So I'm stuck with zoomed in 4:3 or finding a very early 16:9 camera.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.