[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, I'm imaginative but unlearned. I've been wondering:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: Game_Boy_Advance_SP_Red_Model.png (1 MB, 1465x1152) Image search: [Google]
Game_Boy_Advance_SP_Red_Model.png
1 MB, 1465x1152
Hi, I'm imaginative but unlearned. I've been wondering: most Game Boy (Classic, Color, Advance) games can be soft reset by way of pressing A, B, Select, and Start simultaneously. Is it possible/feasible to wire a Reset slide or button that, when pushed, triggers all four buttons simultaneously, without compromising the wiring of the actual buttons?
>>
>>47831413
Short answers : yes
>>
>>47831493
Neat, though it occurs to me that it's probably much simpler to just create a traditional reset button/switch.
>>
>>47831736
So you think it's much simpler to cut the whole shit instead of pressing 4 buttons ?
>>
Are you trying to make a pokemon auto shiny resetting machine or something
>>
>>47832614
I'm toying with the idea of consolizing a GBA, and thought a reset button would be a nice touch.
>>
>>47832668
It's probably easier to just tap into the actual CPU reset line instead. I'm not sure if there's any documentation for the GBA board on the internet, but I'm sure that should be acessible from the PCB somewhere.
>>
>>47831413
Semi-related (been wondering this for a while, but never got around to asking it): How would one get into programming games for the game boy/learning its asm?
>>
>>47832747
gbdk.sourceforge.net
>>
>>47832780
I think I just found (at least one of) my summer project(s). Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>47832668
>consolizing
emulation would probably be a better route to take bruh
>>
>>47832827
That really depends on how one defines "better." I'm not the sure of purist who will only accept original hardware as the One True Way to play games, but I have the hardware to spare, and I think it'd be a fun project.
>>
>>47832874
ok cool, and not trying to be a dick but you really would get better results with this thread over at >>>/diy/
>>
>>47832884
Fair enough. I figured /g/ would know a thing or two about wiring up boards and whatnot.
>>
>>47832927
/g/ is pretty much strictly consumerism bruh
>>
>>47832927
Have you thought of loading an emulator on a Raspberry Pi and wiring your own GBA cart to usb cable?
>>
>>47833075
If I'm using an emulator, I might as well just use roms. Either project would require some wiring, so I might as well go the route that uses the actual hardware.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 154x148) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11 KB, 154x148
>>47831413
If only Nintendo had thought about it.
OH WAIT!
>>
>>47833898
Doesn't function as a rest button, just power on/off.
>>
>>47833944
he's implying that turning it off and back on is the same as a reset
>>
>>47833944

>my car, it doesn't function as transportation to take me from A to B, it just moves when I tell it to.
>>
>>47833954
>>47833976
Yes, but that's true of any system that has a dedicated reset button. I just thought it'd be a nice touch when creating a "console" as most consolw have one. I don't know why I'm surprised to encounter so much contrarianism.
>>
>>47834008

I don't ever remember using the reset button properly on any console, the power switch always seems like a straight up drainage of the RAM.
>>
File: 801581b.jpg (4 KB, 193x220) Image search: [Google]
801581b.jpg
4 KB, 193x220
>>47832668
You do realize Nintendo has made a disc that you put in your gamecube that works together with an adapter the fits under the gamecube to play gba games on your TV using a gamecube controller right?
>>
>>47834756
they also made a gameboy adapter for the snes
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-GAME-BOY-SNES-Super-Nintendo-Adapter-Accessory-GameBoy-/291449281597
>>
>>47834756
Yes. I keep saying "fun personal project;" buying a bunch of gear I don't really want is not as satisfying or economical as repurposing that which I already have. You realize you can just get a Dell, right?

>>47834821
Does not play GBC-only or GBA games. The aspect ratio is incorrect and the first edition's timing is off. For Super Game Boy enhanced games, though, it's the only way to access those features so it has its place.
>>
>>47832614
I got curious after this post. Here's an example of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rO9NdW49o
>>
>>47834892
Alright I didn't know you were trying to reinvent something. I was just letting you know the thing your doing is already made.
>>
>>47832874
Screw purists. We get to back up our saves.
>>
>>47834008
>I don't know why I'm surprised to encounter so much contrarianism.
That is not a word.

Also, reset is just powering off and on, so just put a spring on the off side of the power switch so that you just flick the switch off and it automagically resets to on.
>>
>>47836836
I know it's not a real word. This also isn't a scholarly publication, lighten up.
>>
>>47831413
The reset function is implemented in the game by the way, not the actual hardware. So it doesn't always work.
>>
Literally simpsons did it: the thread
>>
>>47832884
>not trying to be a dick
>isn't a dick
>>
>>47831413
It's software reset. If the game is crashed or perhaps in certain menus it won't work, and it won't work in all games. It also doesn't return you to the GameBoy logo screen -- which can be important on GBA if you want to load code on it with multiboot.

I can think of a few ways to get a proper hard reset button, all probably simpler than the wiring to simulate A+B+Start+Select:
>normally-closed momentary switch in series with the power line
>normally-open momentary switch between ground and the CPU's reset pin (ground: I'm guessing it's probably an active-low signal...)
>(WITHOUT EVEN OPENING THE GBA) normally-open momentary switch between +3.3v and ground on the link port -- I have a GBA memory stick that includes a button like this
>>
>>47838449
What if resetting the CPU doesn't clear RAM?
On the DS and 3DS resetting the CPU state doesn't and is used to activate sleepmode.
>>
>>47834008
Just a suggestion, rather than wiring into the reset line on the CPU you could use a usually on switch and wire it in between the regular switch, that way the switch would work as on/off like normal but pressing the reset button would temporarily cut power, resetting.
>>
>>47832668
I realize most of the fun part would very actually rigging that together, but why not just emulate it on a small pc built in a console form factor
>>
>>47838503
>On the DS and 3DS resetting the CPU state doesn't and is used to activate sleepmode.
Fuck, that's pretty cool.
>>
>>47838503
Unless the bootcode has a specific handler for this, it will do the same as if you do clear the RAM. New data will be written there before it's used, as if the system just powered on. The only exception is if you activate some glitch that uses memory before writing it.

Also, RAM isn't cleared instantly when you power off (though the bootcode may clear all RAM first thing upon powering up). This is basically how a cold-boot attack works for obtaining encryption keys.
>>
>>47832668
Unless you're making a console with a little pop-up screen, your biggest challenge is going to be decoding the signal on the LCD ribbon and encoding it to something more useful like composite or HDMI.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.