[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why anyone would give a fuck how much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 14
File: jnk.jpg (31 KB, 450x422) Image search: [Google]
jnk.jpg
31 KB, 450x422
Can someone explain to me why anyone would give a fuck how much a laptop weighs, why it's such a big selling point, and why people with throw literally hundreds of dollars after it?
I don't understand this obsession with lightness and slimness at all. Are people really so frail, and their bags so small that they cannot possible carry something 200g heavier or 1/4 of an inch thicker?
I don't get it.
>>
>>47687027

The fact that Apple are often the ones pioneering this shit tells you everything you need to know.
>>
>Stuff you carry
>Why does weight matter
Of course, as long as it weights less than 1kg pretty much any weight is good. Consumers mostly care about numbers. Just look at how many people have quad core cpus without ever running a single application that needs them.
>>
>>47687027
>Can someone explain to me why anyone would give a fuck how much a laptop weighs,
You're supposed to be able to carry your laptop around with you, it is the entire point of them. A mobile computer.

The easier it is to carry around, the more valuable it is as a mobile computer.
>>
When you go out to do any sort of business, you're normally not carrying just a laptop. Your 2kg laptop + accessories might need to be carried with 5kg of other things for the day.
>>
>>47687027
>why anyone would give a fuck how much a laptop weighs

IDK, ask people who actually leave their houses
>>
>>47687102
so that extra 200g in a bag, that you are carrying on your back is going to make a difference?
A half empty bottle of water will weigh you down more. Have you ever tipped your water out in the street because it was just slowing you down?
>>
They need a computer they can use when they get AIDS.
>>
>>47687158
First of all, it's more than 200g difference for certain laptops, it can be up to a kg. Though I admit that at a certain point you will get greatly diminishing returns for the cost/gram.

Second of all, to some people absolutely that would make a huge difference. These laptops are for those people. Making things lighter, more efficienct, less moving parts, etc. IS innovation, whether it's the right innovation for YOU is a different question. Personally I won't really care as long as it's <= 2 kg, but I absolutely support people trying to figure out how to stuff more into less. Apple is definitely taking shortcuts on the "more" part but it's still something that there is a demand for and that there is active research and development for.

Just don't buy the fucking computer.
>>
>>47687274
not that dude but optimization=!innovation

at best they've used the innovation of other electronics groups to optimize their products.
>>
>>47687274
> These laptops are for those people.
Wrong. Apple laptops are almost entirely for people who don't know what the fuck they're buying and why, but just want "the best"... or at least to be told it's the best.

That's really basically the essence of it. No Apple user I know can even tell me what the fuck in terms of hardware they have, never mind what they evaluated their needs to be.

Sure, many other laptop owners can't either, but they did not have to "justify" why they paid extra, they just got what's cheap and works.
>>
1. Do something really stupid/irrelevant/incremental
2. Call it innovative and pioneering
3. Mindless apple drones shitpost and shill throughout the internet for no monitary compensation, not even a pittance
4. Apple becomes filthy rich and the collective expands
5. Tech sector stagnates as a result
rinse repeat
>>
>>47687027
I have a back problem 200g less of weight might not be nothing to you but to me 200g makes a lot of difference
>>
File: 1417192077534.jpg (39 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1417192077534.jpg
39 KB, 460x345
>>47687027
Because when you are outside for 8 hours at work every day,day in day out, those +200g can cause to throw that laptop out of the window.
Get real anon.
>>
>>47687296
>not that dude but optimization=!innovation
Yeah I'm an engineer, and that's BS. Apple is releasing a laptop with literally 3 moving parts: keyboard, touchpad, screen hinge. Every single internal is solid state, I don't think I've seen another laptop like that. That is not "optimization", that is innovation. Plain and simple. Optimization will be when they release the new MBP after this gen and improve on all the shit they're inevitably going to get wrong with this one.

>>47687338
>Wrong. Apple laptops are almost entirely for people who don't know what the fuck they're buying and why, but just want "the best"
They may not know what the hardware is, but they know what they bought. People who buy MBA's buy them because they're light and ultra portable. And they sell well because most people don't give a fuck about the hardware in their laptops, it's not just Apple. Ask people why they bought any laptop, I promise you most of them are going to say either "good value" aka cheap, or "it was small and light". That's what the common consumer wants.

Does it fuck over people who are actually interested in the technology? Yes. But that's life, and this trend isn't limited to consumer tech.
>>
>>47687338
Paying the lowest price for hardware specs aren't the reason why people buy Apple computers. You will forever be confused if you think this the strongest reason why people buy Apple.
>>
>>47687442
>Yeah I'm an engineer, and that's BS.

then you're not a real engineer.
>>
Back pains, mang. Try carrying laptop in your backpacks while travelling.
>>
File: 1371675704483.jpg (9 KB, 203x219) Image search: [Google]
1371675704483.jpg
9 KB, 203x219
>>47687296
>=!
>>
>>47687105
I have a comb, some tissues, and a bus pass. Seriously what else do you need as a programmer.
>>
>>47687472
Oh yes, the true engineer of Scotland argument.
>>
>>47687027
>Can someone explain to me why anyone would give a fuck how much a laptop weighs
Because laptops are portables, that's literally their raison d'etre.

>why people with throw literally hundreds of dollars after it?
Because they want their latops ti have good portability, aka be good laptops.

>I don't understand this obsession with lightness and slimness at all.
Because you don't travel neither are you in college.

>Are people really so frail, and their bags so small that they cannot possible carry something 200g heavier or 1/4 of an inch thicker?
Given the choice, why would they?
Do you see anyone carrying weights on them for no apparent reason?
>>
>>47687478
Why don't git /fit/ and train those core muscles of yours. I started lifting because I was motivated to carry my shopping in no more than two trips from the car.
>>
>>47687472
Great fucking argument, buddy. Too bad you're completely wrong.
>>
>>47687530
I do some casual exercise but I don't go to gym.
>>
File: immahitu[1].jpg (56 KB, 704x528) Image search: [Google]
immahitu[1].jpg
56 KB, 704x528
These days these "ultraportable" laptops are even more useless then they've ever been, but for some reason tech illiterates eat that "muh thin" shit up.

Now that smartphones are so fully featured, what the fuck does anyone need these "ultrabooks" / ultraportables for? Especially the shit poor underpowered ones like the new macbook or macbook air, which literally have performance comparable to some ARM chips, and in the case of the macbook air, components and a screen that are a decade old.

Imo its purely a status symbol, like a vogue / boutique products. People spend $1000+ on useless clutches and handbags, why not laptops now too?
>>
I don't know about you faggots but I think laptops were made to be fucking portable as fuck and being slim and 200g less could make a big difference for me. I personally like more desktops but I also own a MBA because it's neat as fuck, carrying around a thick as fuck laptop is just so fucking cringe
>>
>>47687027
Autism speaks
>>
>>47687515
>Because laptops are portables, that's literally their raison d'etre.
my laptop is exactly as portable as anyone else's laptop over the distances anyone is required to carry a laptop

>Given the choice, why would they?
because you have to throw literally hundreds of dollars after less than half a bottle of water's weight

>Because you don't travel neither are you in college.
I travel every day, and don't waste hundreds of dollars on nothing because I actually am a college student that doesn't get mommy and daddy to pay for my laziness that makes it so impossible for me to carry the extra weight I'd be lugging around if I forgot to take a dump in the morning
>>
>>47687559
>These days these "ultraportable" laptops are even more useless then they've ever been
Are you trying to tell me that ultrabooks are more useless than netbooks?
>>
>>47687559
When have 'extreme' ultraportables ever been fucking useful?

They've always sacrificed too much in the way of performance and ports to hit the weight target.
>>
>>47687596
poorfag
>>
>>47687596
>I travel every day, and don't waste hundreds of dollars on nothing because I actually am a college student that doesn't get mommy and daddy to pay for my laziness that makes it so impossible for me to carry the extra weight I'd be lugging around if I forgot to take a dump in the morning
And again: these laptops aren't for you. Don't buy them. I wouldn't buy them. Who cares? Do you bitch and moan about automatic transmissions if you drive stick? Do you bitch and moan about gluten free foods if you eat bread? Do you bitch and moan about things that you don't like because other people like them?

Apple wants to make money, so it makes shit people want to buy. Most people are plebs, but you can't expect companies to cater to minorities if there's no money in it. That's capitalism. Sorry you don't like it.
>>
>>47687602
not him, but netbooks are way, way more useful because they are a really cheap alternative. Ultrabooks are as shitty as netbooks, and they cost a lot
>>
>>47687596
>my laptop is exactly as portable as anyone else's
Not compared to the Macbook. Half the weight means twice the value as a portable. How much does your laptop weigh?

>because you have to throw literally hundreds of dollars after less than half a bottle of water's weight
Not really. The choice is performance vs portability for the price.
>>
>>47687571

Performance laptops are great as portable desktop replacements. Portability isn't just the weight and and thinness of a product, its the degree to which I product is useful while traveling / commuting.

This is why ultraportables fail as portable laptops. The sacrifice battery life, performance, durability, and much more for a trivial couple mm of thickness, or a completely unnoticeable amount of grams of weight. Their form factor is a gimmick and doesn't actually provide and functional value.

They can't deliver the performance of fully functioning laptops that often cost less than half the price, and are less durable with shorter batter lives, making them less useful as a portable device despite their form factor.
>>
>mobile computer designed to be carried around
>why would they make it lighter and easier to carry

I think they're doing nothing that every phone manufacturer isnt already doing. They're making devices tiny and thin and beautiful. I think the same argument stands that most of us would rather have a little better battery life but aside from that I think everyone here would enjoy having a tiny bread slicing macbook for working away from our desktops.
>>
>>47687657
>Half the weight means twice the value as a portable.
not true at all
>>
File: 1389409384306.gif (2 MB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
1389409384306.gif
2 MB, 200x193
>Can someone explain to my why the weight of something you're supposed to carry around with you matters?
>>
don't know about you OP but I'd prefer a thin, light machine with double-digit battery life for portable use

i mean i probably wouldn't be able to play GTA5 or edit video, but that's OK because I have a lovely powerful desktop that can do that just fine. if i'm portable it means i'm only going to be farting around on the internet or watching guitar videos or whatever.

i hope this helps you understand
>>
>>47687631
a spoiled mac user
what a turn up for the books
>>
>>47687669
>for working away from our desktops

thanks no thanks

for actually working, sure
>>
>>47687719
>double-digit battery life
battery life has nothing to do with this argument, OP mentioned nothing about battery
making your device smaller usually means it has worse battery life
>>
My X200 with a 9-cell battery is lighter than my friend's 13" MBP (the old one). To me the X series is the best laptop, it's the size, shape and weight of a text book. If you can carry one more of those, then what's the problem?

I wouldn't trust those Airs to survive a drop, which happens more than you'd think.
>>
>why does weight matter
>talking about a portable computer

Might as well ask why length matters for a spear.
>>
>>47687027
>why anyone would give a fuck how much a laptop weighs

>why do people want their portable devices to be light?
I agree that they are overdoing it and are sacrificing too much for lower weight, but that question was grade A retard tier.
>>
>>47687719
>i probably wouldn't be able to play GTA5

it's a console game, don't forget
>>
>>47687667
>Performance laptops are great as portable desktop replacements
Ok but literally no one buys a fucking MBA to be a performance laptop. Not even delusional applefags, they'll at least get a MBP. If they do then they're even more retarded than normal.

>This is why ultraportables fail as portable laptops.
No, because performance is one of many, many factors when buying a laptop. Ultrabooks are supposed to be light, and be good enough to handle 99% of common everyday computer tasks. They're not for heavy programming, video editing, gaming, performance, or really anything that requires computational performance. They are not even marketed as such.
>>
File: confused-baby[1].jpg (3 MB, 4000x2789) Image search: [Google]
confused-baby[1].jpg
3 MB, 4000x2789
Personally, I think laptops are pretty much obsolete. I just carry around a bluetooth keyboard and work from my phone, been doing this for about 8 years, including all throughout college for taking notes and typing documents. I can also create powerpoints, and program through vnc on my phone. So I pretty much have zero use for a portable laptop.

I do however take my sager performance laptop with me while traveling, but only to play video games away from home. If you have no need for performance, I'm not sure why you'd waste money on a laptop who's functionality pretty much overlaps with your smartphone. Sounds like more of hindrance than a useful device to me.
>>
File: 1401489229226.gif (1 MB, 328x198) Image search: [Google]
1401489229226.gif
1 MB, 328x198
>>47687027
>bickering over 200 grams difference

You guys are too spoiled. I used to carry with me a 5kg giant piece of shit because it was required for the courses I followed. There was no alternative; high performance laptops in that day were giant heavyweight bricks.

Now all I hear is spoiled children whining about them being to lazy to move a muscle to lift an additional few grams. You don't fucking know what heavy is.
>>
>>47687828

You can get a functionally equivalent laptop to an ultraportable for over a $1000 less, how is that not a fail? A few mm of thickness and an ounce of weight you'll never notice is trivial. How is that worth $1000+?

>Ok but literally no one buys a fucking MBA to be a performance laptop. Not even delusional applefags, they'll at least get a MBP.

I'm not talking about macs, but ultraportables in general. FYI the MBP is closer to an utraportable than a performance laptop, considering its lack of dedicated gpu (or a low wattage GT750m). The MBA is really more of a budget, entry level MBP.
>>
>>47687862
>I just carry around a bluetooth keyboard

what size? foldable?
>>
>>47687813
nope its on Steam
>proof that /g/ never goes on /v/
>>
>>47687493
Implying that everyone carrying a laptop is a programmer. Did you even think about what you said retard?
>>
>>47687027
Weight can be a factor but when you remove so much performance and functionality that its basically 10 years behind any other laptop on the market just so its .5lbs less, you're just being retarded..
>>
>>47687912
>You can get a functionally equivalent laptop to an ultraportable for over a $1000 less
For more weight and bigger size. That's what people are paying for. That's what they WANT to pay for. Companies know this and charge a premium for it. It's just plain and simple economics. If people are gonna pay assloads of money for something charge them assloads of money.

These laptops are not for you. You don't have to buy them. Apple or otherwise, you are not the target consumer. I don't understand why you can't see why someone would buy a thinner, lighter laptop even if it costs more.
>>
>>47687939

No, just a tenkeyless, but only because I program on it, a 60% is fine too.
>>
>>47687639
That's only because you are a poorfag. Consider that there is people out there working for their money and not living on food stamps. These people can enjoy nice things like a laptop that is both performant enough for the task they need to do, and lightweight.
>>
>>47687957

Not arguing that tech illiterates aren't paying out the ass for this garbage, they clearly are. I just don't understand why. Then again, I don't understand why stupid poor people do most of things they do, lol.
>>
>>47687749
This is because you are retarded and you drop your stuff. Don't drop it and voila
>>
I've a toshiba satellite laptop L455D. Considering that I have weak lower back , if my backpack gets loaded with a textbook, the laptop, and few other things, I'm gonna be in pains. So . . . .yeah, sometimes it's desirable to have lighter laptop, but I am not gonna spend hundreds on Mac or whatever - that stuff is way overpriced
>>
>>47687749
No it doesn't. Never dropped a laptop in my life.
>>
>>47688079

Lel, so let me get this straight. You're probably carrying around 20-30lbs+ of books in your bag, but its the extra 2 ounces of laptop that's going to what breaks your back? fucking kek.
>>
>>47688020
You're the illiterate one. These people get what suits there needs and don't give a shit about you, yet you're here sperging over them.

>I just don't understand why.
Miniaturization costs money.
When people buy laptops, they need miniaturization by definition.
There's no performance hit in their daily activities (browsing, mailing, writing, consuming media).

Kids should just buy a console and fuck off from \g\.
>>
When i held a somewhat recent applel notebook for the first time in my life i was like nigga damn.
My 7yo laptop is 2,93kg + 400g worth of power brick. It's hardly a portable machine.
One day i'll buy an applel notebook, throw a linux distro on it and call it a day.
>>
>>47688020
>I just don't understand why
Because most people use laptops as portable Office/email/webbrowsing/facebook machines. They literally do not need to be able to do anything performance heavy. As long as the battery can last through the work/school day people will pay thousands of dollars to get something light and small.
>>
Like I said, bad lower back and the weight adds up. Don't know how many pounds it can get, but it does get heavy.
>>
Half a kilo could make all the difference if you were being chased by a wasp.
>>
>>47688106

lol what? If people are dumping loads of money into consumer electronics, I think that's a good thing. Realize that a lot people on here are probably the ones selling the shit to begin with.

>Miniaturization costs money.

Ultraportables have insane profit margins, more than 50%+ in the case of the MBA, vs. about 0% for most performance PC manufacturers.

>When people buy laptops, they need miniaturization by definition.

Not sure what you mean by this. By definition of what? A laptop is not a "miniature" computer, its just a mobile computer. More and more miniature to the point where it impacts functionality, portability, and durability is not automatically a good thing.

>There's no performance hit in their daily activities (browsing, mailing, writing, consuming media).

But there actually is. At my office we issue out macbook airs, macbook pros, and some other ultraportables. And people do bitch about the performance on some of them and exchange for traditional workstation PCs. Some people are fine with them.

>>47688115
All of that can be done more easily on cheaper, fully functional laptops tho. These people are not computer enthusiasts, but for some reason are compelled to spend thousands of dollars on computers, for some trivial gimmick like thinness. You don't find that odd?
>>
File: autism detected.jpg (14 KB, 238x279) Image search: [Google]
autism detected.jpg
14 KB, 238x279
>>47688230
>These people are not computer enthusiasts, but for some reason are compelled to spend thousands of dollars on computers, for some trivial gimmick like thinness. You don't find that odd?
No, because that is what they want. They have no fucking idea how computers work, they don't care. They will never care. Manufacturers know this, and they charge more money because they can. Everyone loves to make money. They're paying for thinness, they're paying for lightness. They don't give two shits about what's inside.

Other people like other things. Is that REALLY so fucking hard to understand?
>>
>>47688230
>By definition of what?
By the definition of the laptop.
Can't see why this can't get into your thick skull.

A laptop is a *portable* computer.
Not one that can be relocated. A portable one.
If you increase its portability, you increase its value.

Firstly its use value, which makes people want it, and thus also increasing its monetary value.

>to the point where it impacts functionality
No, it doesn't impact functionality.
That's your delusion mixed with hyperbole.

We have 2.0GHz first gen core Duos in the lab, and never anyone had a complaint with any programs.
Photoshop, MatlLab, R, Visual Studio. Nada, all running perfectly.

If you think *any* modern computer in the last 5 years impacts daily use functionality because of its hardware specs, you need to relocate to >>>/v/
>>
>>47687952
i was referring to the system requirements of console games, genius
>>
>>47688230
>And people do bitch about the performance of Office in #any# new computer
Ok, you can stop now.
>>
>>47688230
>for some trivial gimmick like thinness.
Trivial gimmick is spending these money on some marginally higher number on CPU or GPU, like you do, where there are no benefits other than placebo.

It's not gimmick when it's a feature (lightweight, decreased bulk) that you interact with daily and affects your life.
>>
>>47688298
>>47688318
>completely missing the point

You are pretty much acknowledging that a $400 budget laptop is functionally equivalent to a $1500 ultraportable laptop. Thanks for proving my point for me.
>>
>>47687952
Meaning that if it is able to run on consoles, you should be able to run it at minimum settings fairly easily...
>>
>>47688339
No, it's not functionally equivalent.

How can it be if its one third the weight and double the battery life?

I'm saying a better laptop, that's thinner and lighter, doesn't realistically sacrifice performance compared to the behemoths.
>>
>>47688355
Ahahaha

Nobody gives a shit to optimize PC games, "just buy a new GPU after a year, you're obsolete".
>>
>>47688329
>Trivial gimmick is spending these money on some marginally higher number on CPU or GPU, like you do, where there are no benefits other than placebo.

No, a laptop that has better battery life, is more durable, has a much higher quality screen, a much more usable form factor, doesn't overheat, and will last years longer than something that is just barely fast enough to handle the web apps of today, let along next year, and cost half the price of an ultraportable is not a gimmick.

2 mm of thickness is a gimmick. 1/2lbs of weight, less than the daily fluctuation of your body weight, is a gimmick. But sure, keep dumping your money into garbage consumer electronics, gives a lot of people jobs.
>>
>>47688339
Holy shit, no. First of all a 400 dollar laptop will not perform as well as a 1500 dollar ultrabook, don't even kid yourself.

Second of all the functionality you're paying for is NOT performance. It's weight and size. People pay a lot of money for that.
>>
>>47688339
I'm (>>47688318) busting your lying ass, for even implying that any new computer would have a performance issue with Office, let alone a mbp which is at last mid tier.

This is why /g/ can't be taken seriously.
>>
>>47688390
>But sure, keep dumping your money into garbage consumer electronics
you're coming across as kind of a jerk
>>
Because people care about portability.

I don't see the point in going even lighter than Macbook Air though.

The power and heat sacrifices you have to make at that point renders the laptop into a sluggish tablet with keyboard like Macbook.
>>
File: 1428527990964.jpg (9 KB, 298x212) Image search: [Google]
1428527990964.jpg
9 KB, 298x212
Why wouldn't you want your computer as slim and tight as possible?
>>
thin and light things are desirable to some people, at the expense (conscious or non) of overall heavy-duty performance. isn't it good that you have the choice to purchase something that suits both needs
>>
Dell Won

>xps 13 (2015)
>macbook killer
>i5, 8gb ram, 256 ssd, 1080p screen
>dat 11-13 hour battery life
>$1200

Essentially it's a less expensive and a more powerful macbook.
>>
>>47687667
My T440S would like to have a word with you
>>
>>47688378

Ultraportables have terrible battery life, because they have to make the battery smaller to make it thinner. The slower cpus counter act this somewhat, but still you'll see laptops like the new macbook and macbook air have less battery life than their predecessors despite having much lower powered internals. Less battery life and less durability makes for a less portable laptop.

>>47688400

I thought you guys are saying performance is a gimmick and means absolutely nothing?
>>47688298
>>47688318
>>47688329
>>47688401

I'm sensing some serious post-purchase rationalization here.
>>
>>47688446
>Ultraportables have terrible battery life, because they have to make the battery smaller to make it thinner.
Provably false. The 13" Macbook Air had the best stock battery life in market, despite being so thin.
The lower battery capacity is countered with low consumption components and better battery tech.
>>
>>47688481

And was the extra 2mm which required the use of slower components, a smaller battery, and a price hike worth it?
>>
>carry a fuckhuge heavy 17 inch laptop around pretty much everywhere I go in my backpack
>don't have single problem with anything
Such is the life of a non-manlet.
>>
>>47688446
>I'm sensing some serious post-purchase rationalization here.
Yeah, basically a whole retard calling you a retard for asking the equivalent of "why do people buy round wheels" is just butthurt because of your superior decision and understanding of the laptop market.
>>
>>47687739
Except the macbook air has some of the best battery life on the market today without some retarded extended battery you need on your thinkpad.
>>
File: 1427917496104.jpg (171 KB, 750x925) Image search: [Google]
1427917496104.jpg
171 KB, 750x925
>>47688432

>1080p screen
>>
The retina display alone is gonna be worth about 40% of the price.

Shits gorgeous
>>
File: theodore-roosevelt-laughing[1].jpg (50 KB, 605x412) Image search: [Google]
theodore-roosevelt-laughing[1].jpg
50 KB, 605x412
>>47688494
>using 17'' laptop
>people ask if I problems using it on a plane
>its like they don't always fly at least business class
>realize they're poor but still spend assloads on a boutique laptop.
>>
>>47688508
This.
>>
>>47688492
>And was the extra 2mm which required the use of slower components
1cm is the sum of 5 2mm's.
So yeah, incrementally it's worth it.
Also, 2mm wouldn't afford any much greater capacity.

The slower components are because of the new display's consumption, not the marginally smaller battery.

The pricehike is mostly due to a professionally calibrated, 16:10 high res IPS display.
Is there anything equivalent on the market? (12", 16:10, high res, IPS)

And secondly because of the new trackpad and keyboard.
>>
I always thought stupid people cared about the weight of a computer. Seriously, I can carry a fucking 5 pound computer in my bag (had to for the first couple of years) and now carry a 4.5 pound laptop. It doesn't make a shit of difference. Only weak faggots cry about that type of shit. Go to the gym and stop being a weak puss cake.
>>
>>47688555
rude
>>
>>47688527

Oh, I was talking about ultraportables, but you're literally shilling for macbooks. nvm then, I think both the previous gen and whatever outrageously overpriced vogue garbage they're selling now has an extremely high probability of being complete shit as well, especially if they gimped it even more to be every more needlessly thinner.
>>
>>47688555

hello i am strong and carry a surface pro 3
because i am a sleek businessman who has better things to do in life than carry a huge nerd backpack
>>
>go on plane
>start weighing luggage
"Sir, your backpack is too heavy, we can't allow you to get on the plane with that"
>start shaking with the rage of a million suns
>"ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT MY LAPTOP IS TOO HEAVY?? HAHA I BET YOU HAVE A MAC OR SOMETHING YOU FILTHY CASUAL!"

Laptops being light is useful
>>
>>47687051
>you need a single application to use all your cores

get out
>>
>>47688588
That huge nerd backpack carries a workstation laptop that I use to build my engineering projects. Stop acting like a special snowflake just because you carry a shitty tablet that wants to be a laptop.
>>
I hate laptops, too. But some ppl need them because they need to be mobile. Laptops is good for moving around.
>>
File: oh[1].gif (7 KB, 490x405) Image search: [Google]
oh[1].gif
7 KB, 490x405
>>47688611

they don't weight carry-on, fucking moron..
>>
>>47688632
Thank you for contribution, Captain Obvious.
>>
>>47688622
>>engineering projects
>>durp i dont understand virtualization

i understand your bigass laptop, but this thread was specifically on the attack of the thin and light crowd, remember? anything over 14" just isnt my jive. i replace the c7-nema5-15 power cable that connects power bricks to the wall with a 1" adapter in the name of weight and space saving, because i dont have time to fuck with 50 fiddly cables.

for some people, they dont give a shit. thats fine. just dont say thin and lights are useless, cause thats just as retarded
>>
>>47688632
My pleasure, is there any other dumb questions you guys need answering?
>>
>>47688687
chad kroger - my hero
>>
>>47687338
Nice meme opinion windblows fag
>>
I recently spent a couple days home sick with the flu watching animu on a borrowed macbook air in bed.

Having a light laptop was nice. I could take off my glasses (nearsighted) put the laptop on my stomach (okay, SEVERELY nearsighted) and still be able to breathe easily.
>>
>>47687530
Fuck off rapist, stop raping my body positive rights, being fat is best
>>
Conspicuous consumption dick measuring
>>
>>47688007
>anyone would waste their hard earned money on a macbook

Like your daddy's money?

Inheritance is welfare for the useless rich
>>
>>47688744
Promoting physical Weakness as a positive value is body negative, shitlords. Stop swoleshaming. I'm so triggered. I must squat deep and heavy in penance to the swolefather.

Brodin spot me!
>>
The extra 200g don't make a difference in all seriousness. But I carry a retro styled bag so others know I'm an individual and have an edgy style. It weighs 2kg but it's worth all the pussy I get from unshowered hipster chicks who don't shave their pubes cos fuck you patriarchy.

Dank pussy is still pussy.
>>
>>47689097
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mass-sling-daypack-9-liters?p=48225-0

the dankest edgy bag
i dont even backpack but it makes me look like i do
>>
>>47688743
Dude. That's worse for your eyes. Put it to a distance and keep your glasses on.
>>
>>47689211
How would that be bad? The limit that nearsighted people can see sharp is for their eyes the same as focus on infinity for people with good eyesight.
>>
As someone who went from carrying around a 3.3kg laptop to a 1kg one, I can guarantee you that it made a huge difference. I was lugging around my laptop along with textbooks and various other things and the former was giving me back pain.
>>
>>47687027
>I don't get it.
Because you're a retard, it's that simple.

The whole point of laptops is to be PORTABLE. Of course the weight and size are very important, you fucking imbecile.
>>
>>47687027
the weight of the fashion accessory that you plan on carrying around everywhere is an important factor to consider before purchasing
>>
>>47687027
I know it's more of a niche use but when you're longboarding long distances lighter and thinner laptops are a godsend.
>>
>>47689613
Fucking this. I'll never understand what you morons don't get about that.
>>
File: 1359613582170.jpg (36 KB, 488x358) Image search: [Google]
1359613582170.jpg
36 KB, 488x358
Guys op doesn't walk very much
If he got off his fat ass every once in awhile
He would get it.
>>
>>47687027
Weight and thinness do matter to a certain extent and it goes without saying stuff like the MSI GT80 is a monstrosity but so is the new macbook for pretty much the same reason. Moderation.
I'd say 1.2-1.8kg is the optimal range for laptops, anything more becomes a pain to transport and anything less sacrifices useful features for aesthetics.
If only companies were in a dick waving contest in battery life and build quality instead of grams.
>>
>>47687203
Wow, you're real fucking funny.

What are you? 12?
>>
Some shoop a happy a happy merchant on the reflection
>>
>>47687421
Too bad the battery won't last 8 hours
>>
>>47689833

Dude, I'm making money programing and doing 3D on the road. I haven't landed on my home Country in 2years. I'm writing this from a shitty hostel in Naypyidaw right now on my monstrous 17inch ROG laptop. It's not a pain to carry at all.
>>
>>47687027
you're fucking retarded. and poor. LOL
>>
>>47690630
haswell macbook air battery life is 16 hours
>>
File: pPv7QBj.jpg (68 KB, 635x960) Image search: [Google]
pPv7QBj.jpg
68 KB, 635x960
>>47687027
Heavy notebooks are to difficult to use when you need a temporary umbrella.
>>
>>47687472
Your dumb as a box of rocks
>>
>>47687027
It's a marketing strategy. You can make a laptop with less RAM and disk space, a slower CPU, and shorter battery life, but charge more because it's thinner. It's also a good excuse to remove optical drives and "bulky" ports like VGA and Ethernet.
>>
>>47687027
When you're walking around all day with a bunch of crap on your back, every pound counts.

I wouldn't expect Thinkbeards who never leave the basement to understand that though.
>>
>>47691378
Skinnyfat weakling spotted.
>>
>>47687953
>implying anyone on /g/ who has a laptop and a reason to leave their basement isn't a programmer
>>
>>47691483
Apple shills fans whatever invaded about a year ago
>>
I'm a college student. I have a powerful desktop. I wanted a very light and portable laptop to bring to classes so I could take notes. Weight matters because I'll be carrying that all day with me, in addition to books and other misc things. Therefore, a netbook/tablet with keyboard, is the best option, since I don't need any high processing power. How many other students do you guys think are in this exact same position? Suffice to say, there's a lot, enough to make a big market. And a lot of people don't have a need for higher processing power in the first place, even on a desktop. A laptop is therefor a very attractive option while desktops seem cumbersome and unfitting.
>>
All the laptops that aren't thin and light are fucking shit anyway.
>>
I would bring my T430 out more if it wasn't 5lbs....

I just bring my note 2 with me instead
>>
>>47687027
I don't even know how to reply, this question is so dumb.
>>
>>47687559
>Comparing x86 with ARM
What happened to /g/?
>>
If you're a low test weak ass beta it surely matters
>>
WOMEN

They have tiny little arms.
>>
I'm still waiting for the example of a $400 laptop that is just as good as a $1000 thin and light laptop.
>>
>>47687442
>touchpad
new touchpad doesn't move
>>
HIPSTER IS HAVING NOODLE ARM OF WEAKLING AND IS NOT HAVING OF STRENGTH FOR MANS MOBILE COMPUTING MACHINE

a normal laptop is very lightweight even a child can carry it easily so im guessing the people buying these computers are genetic dead ends and because of the slim size and lower weight the colling ability is non existent which means instead of a warm botton these apple laptops will feel like a stove top on your legs unless they are so underpowered as to be oversized smartphones
>>
>>47693849
I'm still waiting for you to show me a $400 laptop that is as good as a $1000 ultrabook.
>>
>>47693849
HIPSTER IS HAVING FUCKING THIN SKIN ON YOUR FEET AND NOT HAVING THE STRENGTH FOR WALKING BAREFOOT

fucking children in Africa can walk barefoot on scorching hot desert sand with poisonous snakes and scorpions everywhere. i swear shoe manufacturers and their shills are ruining everything.
>>
>>47693924
At least we can get something like that for $700. It'll hopefully go down with time.
>>
>>47687442
Technically it's two moving parts then, because the touchpad you mentioned literally doesn't move.
>>
>>47687636
You might be the smartest person on /g/
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.