[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Microsoft Security Essentials + FireFox w/NoScript + Common
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: computerstatusrisk_web.jpg (129 KB, 504x419) Image search: [Google]
computerstatusrisk_web.jpg
129 KB, 504x419
Is Microsoft Security Essentials + FireFox w/NoScript + Common Sense still /g/'s preferred anti-virus solution?
>>
MSE is as good as nothing today.
>>
>>47666851
No, it's just Linux + Common Sense
>>
>>47666860

Well shit. Fucking Christ, anti-virus preferences change way too fucking fast.

What -is- recommended now-a days?
>>
>>47666879
>NSAshield 2015
>>
Personally for Windows:
NoScript + uBlock
MBAM/Windows Defender

I don't know whats a good free/paid AV these days
>>
>>47666959
Haven't heard of uBlock, but I admit that I'm lazy about keeping up to date on this shit. I've just been using NoScript and Adblock Edge for so long and it felt like enough. I'll read up on uBlock though and see if it's worth changing to.

I swear /g/, I've had no fucking luck with anti-viruses. First I fell for Avast years ago, then I felt I wised up and followed the trend of positive reviews for MSE. And now I'm being told that is supposedly not reliable.
>>
>>47666851
Why are you using Windows? Stop using Windows and you won't get viruses. Install Linux Mint, an adblocker, and employ common sense.
>>
>>47667028
Mint's firewall is disabled by default. Windows isn't the only OS with security issues or malware. Shell shock wasn't that long ago. How fucking dumb are you?
>Hurr I just installed a GNU/Linux distro for the first time last week so let me tell you how I'm a security expert
>>
>>47667020
That's because all antiviruses suck. I personally am not using ublock yet because it's a /g/ project and I don't really trust anything that comes from /g/. I'd be more likely to create my own browser plugin before I do that. It can't be that hard to utilize the already existing block lists out there.
>>
>>47667028

Don't be coy.

And I haven't gotten any viruses to my knowledge in years. But that doesn't mean I want to run around with a potentially useless anti-virus either.
>>
>>47667020
ABE will be discontinued in favour of uBlock
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

>>47667044
uBlock is not a /g/ project bruh, the only thing we're good at is designing logos.
>>
Suposedly, Avira has freat rate detections this year, while MSE hasn't.
>>
>>47667043
>Mint's firewall is disabled by default
Then turn it on. I never told you to be a retard and leave everything on default settings.

>Windows isn't the only OS with security issues or malware
No, but it is by far the most targeted desktop OS and the fact that people have to use their web browsers to download software is a pretty huge security vulnerability.
>>
>>47667072
> the only thing we're good at is designing logos.
>laughing _whores.png
>>
>>47667043
and how could shell shock be abused if OP doesn't run a server and doesn't download malicious software?
>>
>>47667043
>Shell shock wasn't that long ago
The number of people using Linux for their desktops who were affected by that as a percentage was near 0%. It was fixed almost immediately after it went public and every major distro propagated the fix downstream.
>>
>>47667020
Best anti virus is common sense. The biggest flaw in any system is people
>>
>>47667072

I didn't know it was being discontinued. Thanks for the info man.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.