[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will smartphones soon replace physical wallets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 5
File: apple-pay-google-wallet~126300.png (154 KB, 693x411) Image search: [Google]
apple-pay-google-wallet~126300.png
154 KB, 693x411
Will smartphones soon replace physical wallets?
>>
no

cash master race
>>
Have you ever seen anyone use one of these?
>>
smartphones, smart things and the internet itself aren't reliable shit
>>
>>46863713
>Chase Freedom
>freedom

Heh
>>
>buying a phone to buy things

no
>>
I doubt it. You're still going to have middle of nowhere places that only accept cash or companies that refuse to install new machines to accept smart phones.
>>
File: mein.jpg (23 KB, 289x292) Image search: [Google]
mein.jpg
23 KB, 289x292
>>46863726
>>
>>46863727
I use Apple Pay daily

>>46863822
Apple Pay works with pre-existing hardware
>>
personally prefer cash

i think it's quite possible they'll replace visa etc at some point tho. just tie your phone to your paypal or similar somehow, pay over air, whatever.

if done right it would be pretty convenient. safety is an issue of course. and god help you if your battery runs out once all your money, IDs and your driving licence are on your phone
>>
>>46863929
If that hardware has the capability

Too many times have I went to a place that can only use cash
>>
>>46863934
>and god help you if your battery runs out once all your money, IDs and your driving licence are on your phone

That's why we buy phones with removable batteries.
>>
>>46864097
Pff, Samesung was the last bastion, now it's following the trend of muh premium feel trying to catch iFags
>>
>>46863726
>21st century
>using cash
>>
>>46864097
>>46864146
if you're gonna carry an extra battery you could just carry a wallet. no hate but i'd rather they made batteries more long lasting and did more research on near-instant charging. the should just have chargers in phone booths and grocery stores etc. maybe in the metro even. plug it in, throw in 50¢, wait half a minute, good to go.
>>
>go to local INDIAN store
>"Sorry sir only cash or 50p surcharge for card payments"
>>
>>46864202
>phone booths
Those still exist?
>>
>>46864225
How else are you going to change into your cape and/or time travel?
>>
>>46863713
Who the fuck uses wallets?

Is it 1980?
>>
>>46864225
stupid example. i just meant, you know, public places like that.
>>
I worked as a cashier for a couple of places.

The smartphone shit and applepay NEVER works. But I suspect it is the hardware/software on our ends since I doubt companies will spend money just so dumbasses can tap their phones on our atms.

It's funny everytime somebody tries to use it they end up trying 3-6 times then giving up and swiping their cards.

The process of swiping a card and taking out your phone, taping it on the machines takes roughly the same amount of seconds and effort I don't see this tech becoming popular for atleast 5 more years in my prediction.
>>
>>46864503
I would guess the issue will be if there are more major reader hacks like Target and such, not entirely sure if the smartphone pay adds any more security though.
>>
They might replace contactless cards, as they use the same technology and are convenient. But not hard cash, at least not in decades we will live through.
>>
>>46863713
>things are cheaper if you pay in cash since no taxes no big companies etc
>credit card + smartphone = 80%/85% of ur personal data you ever inserted on the web
ehh...
>>
>>46864503
It's pretty much useless in America but it has some niche use in yurop since paying with a card requires the customer to enter their code each time they want to buy something.
And most of the time you still have to sign the receipt as well anyway.

It would save some time but I don't see it becoming really big in the near future either.
>>
>>46864576
>And most of the time you still have to sign the receipt as well anyway
Denmark here, the only places i've had to sign receipts are in some restaurants and cabs with ancient equipment
>>
Couldn't you make a app like PayPal,where you deposit money into it,then whenever you withdraw money it generates a random QR code that can be scanned at like,a restaurant or a convenience store.Whenever its scanned,the amount is withdrew from the account.The code can only be used once. Is this already a thing?
>>
>>46863713
hopefully soon
>>
>>46864503
>I don't see this tech becoming popular for atleast 5 more years in my prediction.
i think that's a fair estimate.

>>46864576
>in yurop paying with a card requires the customer to enter their code each time they want to buy something
no, not necessarily. swipeypay is a thing. i did it at mcdonalds and i also saw some bloke do it to pay for his fags (cigarettes, not gigolos)

but yeah, overwhelmingly, you have to enter the code. which kinda made sense to me since i could just nick someone's purse and go buy me a new computer, no? is there a limit to paying like that?
>>
I have yet to see a single store irl that will accept payment by phone. Also, I need my wallet for more shit than just my debit card. For example, my photo fucking ID.
>>
>>46864679
Could have a picture of it stored on your phone or something.
I happened to see a few at I think Subway and Taco Bell, though I'm in the Bay Area so we would be the freaks to be trying this shit out, didn't pay attention to see if anyone bothered using it though.
>>
It's not exactly the same but the Starbucks Mobile app allows contactless and it's more popular than cash/card where I work.
Britfag by the way.
>>
>>46864321

Do you carry around your driver's license, concealed carry permit, debit/credit cards and other important cards in your pocket? You need a fucking wallet.
>>
>>46863929
You spelled Google wallet wrong
>>
>>46864716
Let's see
>tripfag
>driver's license
Yes, since it's the size of a credit card
>concealed carry permit
Don't live in a shit hole where i need to carry a gun
>debit/credit cards
Why would i need anything beyond my visa card?
>You need a fucking wallet
Yea, in 1980
>>
>>46864146
You can still buy S5's
>>
>>46864762
Or Notes, admittedly these things are fuckhuge, but the smartphones all seem to be increasing in size these days so kind of funny. I suppose the question is if Samsung will go full retard and redesign the Note 5 to be similar to the S6.
>>
>>46864633
You probably just came up with a nice patent, hurry and get it registered and make millions
>>
>>46864745
Reported
>>
>>46864745
>I don't live in a shit hole where I need a gun
Unless where you live has a 0% crime rate,a gun is a good thing to have.
>>
>>46864827
When someone is killed on the streets in a random robbery or what ever it's fucking national news. It barely ever happens
>>
>>46864795
>go full retard and redesign the Note 5 to be similar to the S6
Indubitably, but you mean similar to the iPhone 6+
>>
They already can. With time, they'll likely be able to replace more and more of the things people carry in wallets. In turn that makes them a viable alternative for more and more people.

I could pull it off. I already carry cash in my pocket rather than a wallet itself so that could continue. There are virtually no local stores which I know of that support Pay/Wallet but that's where the cash comes in. Credit and debit cards can stay at home. I know it's a bad practice but I could just leave my driver's license in my car. (In my state I'm required to identify myself to police but not mandated to carry and hand over an ID when I'm out and about.) Insurance card can simply be stored as a photo.

That covers everything I carry normally.
>>
>>46864840
Must be nice living in a small, ethnically homogeneous country. I mean that sincerely.
>>
>>46864176
>wanting a trace of what you buy

What a nice goy... err, I mean guy.
>>
>>46864880
It is though it's on borrowed time because eventually i'm sure we'll succumb to immigrants being able to enter through the Schengen rule
>>
Nope.

Transaction fees are often quite silly high, even higher than with just credit card payments for some reason.

Besides, your ability to pay is tied TOO much to a certain provider. It's fine to have a secondary method of payment besides cash (credit card, digital signature, whatever), but cash needs to stay.

Basically, fuck this idea of them replacing physical wallets.
>>
>>46864745
>not liking freedom

I don't live in a shithole, but carrying a gun would be nice. If only my shitty government would allow it.
>>
>>46864904
Germany and Switzerland and Austria and other places have Schengen and a lot of immigrants / tourists / other foreigners, and it matters almost not.

The ones with employment (not the poor ones) aren't even really trouble at all, the small fraction of the rest that becomes criminal at all usually just does trivial crimes.
>>
>>46864911
A decent police force is much better than random people with guns, every time.

Random people with guns make lethal mistakes and a fraction of them goes postal at times - if they have a gun at that point, they really tend to kill and injure far more than if they have fists or perhaps a knife.
>>
>>46864841
No
>>
>>46863713
Maybe not soon, but it's certainly possible
>>
>>46864960
Fuck off freedom hater
>>
>>46864840
>it's national fucking news.Almost never happens
It's only national news if the person is black or LGBT. Robberies happen a lot
>>
No, but contactless payment on your card is bretty good. You can pay up to £20 without having to type your pin here, I use it all the time though about only 50% of places have it.
>>
>>46864990
There is a really quite good amount of freedom in preventing getting killed or injured or very credibly threatened with death by untrained emotionally unstable faggots.

Be free to get a weapons license to hunt or shoot for sports or whatever, but you'll transport the weapon unloaded and/or disassembled.

Call the police if you need the force of weapons to fight crime.
>>
>>46865066
No

It'll be fun seeing your shithole on the news, everyone of your mud people getting killed by criminals who dont care about your laws or your safety
>>
>>46864724
except Apple Pay works with pre-existing hardware

google wallet is insecure, sends data to google, and is used by no one
>>
Just what the NWO wants
>>
Would be cool if I could pay from a prepaid card instead from my bank account/credit card account with the phone.
>>
>>46865106
Lel no, we have effective police. Pretty much any form of severe crime is low.

Our criminals don't usually kill people (lest it be a relationship drama) because that's not typically the stakes at hand.
>>
>>46865106
>disregard statistics acquire NRA propaganda
>>
>>46865194
depends on the card, but you can
>>
File: 1425517760108.jpg (38 KB, 447x500) Image search: [Google]
1425517760108.jpg
38 KB, 447x500
>>46865278
>NRA Propaganda
>mfw
>>
>>46863772
You chase after the freedom. You dont actually have it.

Also cash is king but for small purchases I swipe. No change in this wallet.

$0.85? Charged.
$2.01? Charged.
$4.22? Charged.
>>
>>46864218
That's just because he has a shitty deal with the payment company I guess? His colored clientele probably mostly pay cash.

>>46864575
>cheaper

Not really, banks charge money for bringing in cash, and where I live (Netherlands) it only costs a 2 cents or so per transaction for the small (4 transactions a day or so?) company people I know run. I can imagine not having to count cash actually more than makes up for the fixed fee you pay for the machine.
>>
>>46865625
Here in Brazil i usually get about 10% in discount if i buy stuff with money instead of Credit Cards.
>>
>>46863713
No. You still need your gov issued ID, insurance card/roadside assistance card, a backup method of payment (Debit/Credit), and having a few dollars in cash is always good. Some businesses don't like taking card for small transactions since they get charged for it.
>>
>>46864895
>bad argument
>lives in world where cameras watch ur every move
>>
>>46864895
You got something to hide buddy? No privacy is the new black.
>>
>>46864705
Where in the UK? Its not popular in any Starbucks I've been too both in London or Cardiff.
>>
>>46864990
Spotted the dumb 'merkin.

Wait that's like 90% of them, sigh.
>>
File: kill-software-patents.jpg (11 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
kill-software-patents.jpg
11 KB, 194x259
>>46864805
No. Don't do that. Don't support a corrupt, oppressive system that stifles technological innovation and creativity.

End software patents.
>>
File: iowa-state-id-smartphone.jpg (53 KB, 534x712) Image search: [Google]
iowa-state-id-smartphone.jpg
53 KB, 534x712
>>46865714
>You still need your gov issued ID

Iowa is pioneering the initiative for driver's licenses on smartphones.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2014/12/08/iowa-digital-smartphone-drivers-license/20114979/
>>
>>46865320

I meant a prepaid card like a phone prepaid sim card, not a prepaid credit card.
Basically a variation of >>46864633
>>
>>46865987
Some places need to update their systems dramatically, I think our DMVs still use dot matrix printers that are clearly barely functional.
>>
>>46865278
k
>>
>>46865987
How does this work for age restricted purchases?

Wouldn't it be trivially easy to present a screenshot with an edited birth date instead of the official government app?
>>
Not soon enough.
>>
>>46863727

I use Google Wallet every day. It's much easier than using a card.

>>46863755

Guess what a credit card reader does when you swipe a card, genius. Guess what it connects to. Go on, I'll wait.

>>46863822

MasterCard PayPass is expanding pretty quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if anywhere with a card reader also accepted NFC by about 2018.

>>46864097

No, that's why we carry USB battery packs in our bags and/or cars. They charge everything.

>>46864679

A lot of gas stations, including all BP stations, take them. Also, the vending machines on my college campus all have NFC, which is awesome, because I hate carrying coins. Plus, MasterCard has begun to provide NFC terminals as part of their card readers.

>>46865154

Google Wallet runs on the same hardware that Apple Pay does. It's literally the same technology.
>>
>>46866433
shut the fuck up this is what we want to happen

-- everyone under 21
>>
>>46867747
>Google Wallet runs on the same hardware that Apple Pay does. It's literally the same technology.

Except Google Wallet sends all information to Google. Apple Pay doesn't.

Apple pay doesn't even store the credit card number
>>
>>46863713
Never
but I would like something to pay via bitcoin

Has anyone worked on that yet
bitcoin payments via nfc?
>>
No, and probably not for years if at all.

No one has one single standard, not anywhere close to enough store have NFC readers, and everyone wants to use their own service including banks.

Apple pay is considered a failure because hardly anyone actually uses it in the real world.
>>
>>46863726
>believing cash has any practical value
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.