[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will the majority of Windows users be on 7 for a long time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 6
File: Windows-7-Support1.jpg (80 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
Windows-7-Support1.jpg
80 KB, 1600x1000
Will the majority of Windows users be on 7 for a long time?

Or will there be a large migration to a new OS the same way there was from XP to 7?
>>
I don't think they'll change operating systems quickly. Windows 8+ is just too different.
>>
I plan to move my desktop system to 10 from 7 when it releases. I will also move my tablet PC to 10 from 8.1
>>
Gay murs will have no choice but to upgrade once DirectX 12 comes along.
>>
>>45925697
you like being officially spied on?

w10 is a border i won't pass

i won't fucking accept in eula to be spied upon, fuck that shit, do it illegally or don't do it at all
>>
>>45925710
you are a fucking moron. it's par for the course for a BETA build. They are trying to fix bugs. It's just like using Firefox Nightly without turning on health report and submitting crash reports. Please be ignorant somewhere else.
>>
>>45925630
Depends on how 10 turns out.
>>45925659
Win 8 is pretty much identical once you turn off the charms bar and start menu horseshit.
The real turn-off was the (failed) attempt at lock-in for their little app store.
>>
>>45925731
>i-it's for YOUR benefit, i-i swear

go be faggot somewhere else, NSA
>>
>>45925731
FUCKING THIS
Nobody seems to understand that they cant fucking improve it if the cant see whats wrong. Part of seing whats wrong is knowing what people were doing when it went wrong.
>>
>>45925753
>babbys first windows beta experience!
>>
>>45925697
I know ill be moving to 10 also. So far its been awesome. And its only getting better
>>
>>45925733
I think a majority of people will switch to 10 when it comes out. Its kinda buggy now.. but the start menu is back so I think people will make the jump.
>>
i use windows 8.1 its fine if you just dont use some of the shitty things they added (charms, new start menu shit) which i dont and didnt use the previous versions of them anyway so

if 10 looks good i'll upgrade (if it doesnt cost a retarded amount)
>>
Home users, mostly gamers, will switch to Windows 10 pretty quickly.

Normal home users aren't even using desktop PCs anymore.

Businesses are still struggling to migrate from XP to Windows 7.
>>
>>45925758
You're on /g/, what do you expect?
>>
>>45925842
I would hope to expect a few people on here with common sense
>>
>>45925731
>>45925758
>>45925842

So, MS needs to record even my webcam, my voice and a shitton of other things just to improve its software?

How did they improve XP and older OSes before when this was actually forbidden?
>>
>>45925826
yeah, the only reason xp is so huge is because it was released at that crucial time where computers really started to become pervasive in buisness, especially amongst smaller companies, peopel running their own buiisness and so on. everyone has software that werks for it and upgrading is too costly, or difficult, even today.

7 is good, but it doesn't have that same sort of market share that xp has. we probably won't see a mass adoption of an OS for buisnesses like we did with xp, likely people companies and such will upgrade slowly/sporadically. some might have 7 already, or have just upgraded to 8.1 or are holding out to work with 10 instead.

personally I have 7 and I given what I do on my computer (internet, music, downloading, and other media, no games or anything hardware intensive) I won't ever need to upgrade until I buy a whole new computer in however many years it is till my current one shits itself. then I'll just get whatever is out at that time. the only people who will actually upgrade windows for no reason but to have the latest OS are enthusiasts. it's too expensive otherwise.
>>
>>45925902
or you know, when microsoft discontinues support for the OS. you should probably upgrade.
>>
>>45925630
>Be me
>Use Windows 7 for long time
>Listen to /g/, install Linux
>Every distro is shit, bugs, laggy, unfinished betas
>Feels like a bastard child of XP that was left to rot
>Remove Linux, go back to Windows

Never again. It pisses me off that the only decent looking distro eOS takes years to release a new version. Freya was beta long before 14.04 LTS was announced, we are on 14.10 now. This is why I hate open source.
>>
>>45925899

They havent, thats why they were shit.
>>
>>45925899
>>45925899
Just in the preview. Tape over webcam. Disable mic. Don't do anything you wouldn't want people knowing about.

And when the full version comes around i bet all that shit is gone.
>>
To everyone who tried 8.1 : do you have to bind your system with a Microsoft account ? Like with Windows Phone ?
>>
>>45925962
no. you can create a local account. just switch off wifi or disconnect ethernet cable before setup begins and you can make local account.
>>
>>45925921
other companies have picked up the slack for XP and it's easier to just pay a monthly subscription to get updates and patches than to retool your entire network.

I work for the government and we use a country wide private network using xp and it is a fucking nightmare. that thing is slow as shit but to update it to the newest os would be a massive and highly expensive undertaking, it's easier to just have your employees wait 5 minutes to open an email instead....
>>
>>45925972
Okay. I'll give it a try then, thank you
>>
>>45925962
Nope. Just create a local account.
>>
>>45925630
Windows 7 is half way through its lifecycle. It's like a 40-year-old. Get a new OS.
>>
>>45925954
>buy new webcam, put tape over it
>pay for computer that comes with mic, disable it
>censor yourself while using your computer
this is your freedom when not using free software. install gentoo.
>>
Why switch? there has been ZERO innovation.
Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 They are all pretty much exactly the same.
>>
>>45926015
no point in switching if all the alternatives are shit
>>
>>45925630
I tried 8, 8.1 and tested the 10 technical preview each for month or so.

Did not like it. I downgraded back to 7 6 hours ago or so.
>>
>>45925630
The majority of Windows users will use whatever comes with their computer or whatever the service center will install when they break it.
Personally I'm never using anything past 7, if it becomes too outdated I might switch to Linux full time.
>>
>everyone calling it Windows 8
That's wrong. It's Window 8, because you can only have one open at a time.
>>
>>45926078
Actually I am using Windows for a decade now, I like to fuck around and try new software and systems. First order of business is to wipe the OEM bundle of crap and install my own proper OS.

Only Alienware noobs stay with stock software.
>>
>>45926067
They aren't shit, you fucking memer. Get out of your basement and actually go use Windows 8.1 at a store. It's smooth as glass, especially on the MS Surface.
>>
>>45926114
8.1 is great provided you get the official drivers. My laptop was designed for 8 not 8.1. Till today there is no bluetooth and graphics driver, I am using one from another HP model with similar specs.

Pretty fucked, this is where Linux shines, it has drivers for everything on first install.
>>
>>45926114
I'm not going to use something that's going to want me to connect my Microsoft Accountâ„¢ and VISA cardâ„¢ to purchase things on the AppStoreâ„¢ so that by hitting the start menu, I instead get the StartScreenâ„¢ that was obviously made for tablets.
>>
>>45926139
Except if you have to use something with proprietary drivers, you tard. Just update your drivers and contact Microsoft for support.
>>
>>45926139
>drivers for everything on install

you've apparently never installed linux on brand new hardware. also if you had drivers for 8 it should work in 8.1 as it's just a service pack. what the fuck did you do to fuck it up?
>>
>>45926148
So you don't like change and you don't want a convenient way to get apps? Why don't you want an MS account anyway? You need one for MS support.

>>45926157
>what the fuck did you do to fuck it up?

Don't blame them or call them names. That's what L00nix fags do. He's probably just afraid to get tech support because of his NSA paranoia.
>>
>>45926151
Like what, I have tried Linux on many different hardware, only AMD/Nvidia drivers I had to install separately.

>>45926157
HP support is the worst. They stopped offering new drivers after 2012 for my model, now I am stuck with 7 for life.

>>45926171
I am a Windows user, I dual boot sometimes. As for tech support, I am not retarded, using computers for 20 years now shitlord. Backporting drivers or using alternate ones can give fucked up results.
>>
>>45926171
Kill yourself.
>>
>>45926186
>AMD/Nvidia drivers I had to install separately.
Exactly my point.
>>45926186
>Backporting drivers or using alternate ones can give fucked up results.
Hence the need for you to upgrade to 8.1.

>>45926192
Stay mad freetard.
>>
>>45925902
From a business perspective, i've used windows 7 since it came out. It is stable and reliable. There is no way on earth we would have changed over to 8 with all it's metro satanism.

Windows 10 looks pretty good. I loaded the preview and was impressed with it. Its not heavy on resources, it's stable and keeps some of the functions that made 8 easy to set up.

In my view, 10 is a winner - but. Windows 7 does the job. There is no way I'm going to approve a mass change of OS (and all the cost) when windows 7 does the job already.
>>
>>45926210
Windows 7/8 install on a recent HP laptop/desktop gives you 5-7 unknown devices with no clue as to what they are, hence finding drivers is a challenge. Also Windows update only offers generic drivers for few of them, rest you need to hunt yourself.

You don't know the pain of being a Windows user, but I have to because MUH GAMES
>>
>>45926250
>Windows 7/8 install on a recent HP laptop/desktop

The fact that you had to install Windows 7 on this laptop tells me that it is at least 6 or 7 years old, which means that it is not recent at all.
>>
>>45926270
HP laptops have the option of getting FreeDOS instead of a pre-installed OS, it costs less.

Also I prefer it this way, so I can install my own OS.

Keep trying.
>>
>>45926250
>finding a driver is a challenge
Not quite. Its easy if you can navigate to device manager and copy/paste dev/vendor id from it to search engine of your choice

Usually answer is on the first page or first few links.
>>
>>45926041
There's been zero innovation in Windows since 95, so why aren't you using that version if innovation is your only criteria?
>>
>>45926314
I know that, but what happens when the manufacturer does not release an updated driver for a newer OS? My brothers laptop was bought in early 2014, still does not have 8.1 drivers available from manufacturer. Even Dell has the same problem.
>>
>>45926345
pro-tip: windows 7 drivers will work just fine on windows 8 and 8.1

hell back in the day i had windows xp drivers working in vista. on a gateway.
>>
>>45926298
>HP laptops have the option of getting FreeDOS instead of a pre-installed OS, it costs less.

So you're some kind of Europoor then? They have to have an OS to purchase them. If you were an American, you would have just used the HP BIOS to install Windows.

What you're telling me is that you bought a laptop from less than 7 years ago and you screwed up the Windows installation, which is understandable. Installing operating systems is not easy, but Microsoft offers support and instructions to help you do this. MS also goes out of its way to have its OS preinstalled on machines so that things like this do not happen.

Since the other 99% of people who buy HP laptops have preinstalled Windows that works with everything on the laptop, including its drivers, that means that it is not a problem with Windows, but it is in fact a problem with your installation process.

Next time buy it preinstalled if you don't want the hassle.
>>
>>45926335
Are you retarded? Almost no new software runs on 95 without tricks.
>>
>>45926436
What he means is that 95 was a complete change from 3.11, everything from UI to how the system worked was changed.

Since then, its all been the same. MS simply releases a new Desktop theme with some new icons and calls it the next Windows release.

They should have stopped at XP and waited till they could come up with another game changer.

Fuck Vista, Fuck 7, Fuck 8 and Fuck 10. They are all clones of each other with no visible change in performance or user experience.

I find more innovation in OSX.
>>
>>45926489
Are you nuts? Windows 8 completely changed the UI.
>>
>>45926502
Take away the metro start screen, EVERYTHING else is from Windows 7, you can't defend this shit.

Its all Vista being redesigned and resold to idiots like us.
>>
File: dunce hat.jpg (33 KB, 725x1050) Image search: [Google]
dunce hat.jpg
33 KB, 725x1050
>>45926436
So you're saying that there's more to choosing an OS than muh innovation? Thanks for clearing that up, anonymous!
>>
File: 1403343534641.jpg (209 KB, 890x500) Image search: [Google]
1403343534641.jpg
209 KB, 890x500
>>45926502
yeah I always wanted a phone interface for my workstation
>>
>>45926522
>Take away the metro start screen

That is the UI, you fag.
>>
>>45926522
i dunno, the metro apps actually had proper DPI scaling, new task manager was nice, copy/file transfer dialog was greatly updated. There were a lot of little features that were improved.
>>
>>45926543
For anyone with an IQ below 80, yes, it is. Any able-minded person gets rid of it as soon as they suffer through it the very first time.
>>
>>45925981
I work for a company who bought all new PCs and just imaged the old HDDs and put everything on the new PCs. So we're all using these new PCs running the same installation of WinXP from like 2003.

They're slowly rolling out Win7, but I'm pretty sure they're just taking the individual PCs and running the upgrade installation. It takes like 10 minutes to log in and log out, and opening simple programs takes fucking forever.
>>
>>45926598
>imaging an XP installation
>for use on completely different hardware
Is your IT department made up of Down's?
>>
>>45926594
>says there has been no UI change
>hates the new UI

I think I know who has the double digit IQ in this thread.
>>
>>45926585
Those are minor changes, they could be implemented with a service pack. When your release a new OS, there are expectations for a complete makeover and something new.

Not repackaging the older one with new eye candy, that is so fucking jewish.
>>
>>45926598
>>45926629

That was obviously done to save money, not to avoid new Windows OS's.
>>
>>45926598
I would kill myself, and travel back in time to kill myself again if I had to deal with slow PC's running outdated software which I could not change.
>>
>>45926660
including the metro runtime is a large change. that is what microsoft wants to have everyone running eventually. i'd say that demands a new OS release. 8.1 was a service pack to 8 though.
>>
>>45926689
8.1 was a desperate attempt to win back users who were abandoning windows due to the start button issue, to me it was not that big of a deal.

I was more disappointed by the pathetic attempt of repackaging 7 and simply removing aero glass to give the illusion of a new OS.
>>
>>45925630
Considering there are a hell of a lot of businesses and shit still using XP, I suspect we will be seeing 7 for quite some time.
>>
>>45926756
My company's main management software developed in FUCKING 2009 was only officially supported in IE6. They cut XP out of the intranet like a couple of months ago and there were still people crying like little bitches because they didn't want to upgrade to 7 so you get the picture. 7 is not going anywhere, people is not going to upgrade to 10 just because. Massive migration to 7 in the consumer environment only happened because it wasn't as shit as Vista and allowed more than 3.5GB of RAM withouth breaking software and driver compatibility like XP64.
>>
>>45925659
How are all Windows operating systems not exactly the same, except maybe in terms of user interface(GUI)?
>>
>>45926171
Literally this retarded
>>
File: ZhangFeiSeesYourDick.jpg (40 KB, 631x347) Image search: [Google]
ZhangFeiSeesYourDick.jpg
40 KB, 631x347
>>45926881
>My company's main management software developed in FUCKING 2009 was only officially supported in IE6.

Christ in heaven.
>>
Windows 10 is coming with start menu and fucking package manager, I surely will migrate if there is not many compatibility issues.
>>
windows 10 is going to be free, so people will most likely switch to it.
>>
>>45925899
I'm not aware of them doing a public beta on this scale. You can be certain they closely monitor all the testing they do, this is just the first time they really put it out in the wild.
>>
File: basketball_american.gif (1 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
basketball_american.gif
1 MB, 720x405
>>45925630
windows 7 will be arounc atleast another 10 years just like windows xp. there are airport terminals still running on windows 1998
>>
File: 1414120749406.png (26 KB, 519x526) Image search: [Google]
1414120749406.png
26 KB, 519x526
>>45925630
W10 is looking like a solid upgrade for everyone who uses Windows and is capable of installing a new OS.

Everyone else will be stuck on W7 until they buy a new computer that ships with W10. But at least they won't be avoiding it like the plague this time because of people slamming it like Vista and W8.
>>
recently installed 8.1 with classic start. feels like windows 7 but with a slightly more appealing visual look, can't complain
>>
>>45927504
except they did earlier too
I installed Windows 8.1 preview which had a similar license.
>>
>>45926489
What the fuck are you talking about? Windows has changed shitload under the hood since 95. Or do you mean to tell my the W7 I'm running currently is in fact still a reskin for DOS.
>>
COPY & PASTE IN CMD MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>45925630
>2015
>not using Windows 8.1
>complaining about app screen when you can get classic shell

keking @ you Windows 7 fags since 2013
>>
>>45929485
why upgrade when the current version just werks and the newer one doesn't provide enough incentives?
>>
>>45929481
But I can paste things in cmd just fine.
>>
>>45929485
I upgraded to windows 8 once, It was fine until I tried to root my phone. The programs wouldn't work on it so I went back to 7.

I understand mine is an extreme case, but that's why I don't use 8.
>>
>>45929513
I never upgraded. I bought 8.1 because it was cheaper than 7 when I built my new PC, and why would I buy an OS that's losing support in a few months when 8.1 is superior in every way.
>>
how do you start your software in w8.1?
>that thing under the start screen is unusable
>not everything can fit the desktop and the taskbar
>classicshell is pretty shitty
>>
I just run whatever and adjust it to my preferences because using any OS is fucking simple. I don't need MS support because not an enterprise customer. If I were computer illiterate I might get passionate about operating systems, but they are nearly interchangeable now so no big deal.

I never hurry to try new OS because I'm not a developer. I let other mothafuckas sort them out then use them at leisure. That is usually around the time of good driver support.
>>
>>45929874
You mean you have other software than the browser?

Get with the times, nerd.
>>
>>45929874
"pretty shitty" isn't a specific criticism. Google turning off Metro etc and you'd be done by now.
>>
>>45925710
>buying spying OS meme
Fucking freetards.
>>
>>45929925
classic shell is just unresponsive for me sometimes, it's very annoying
I did turn off everything metro already... I use it like it was w7
>>
We through a little celebration after we FOUGHT the last XP machine out of hands of the last person who had XP machine.

That was 4 months ago. The Engineer is still pissed at us because we had to sneak during the night to do it. 2014 FFS and people were still using XP and our company is pretty forward looking.

What im saying is that there probably is still large number of XP users out there in corporate world who will not switch to W7 for a while yet. and when they do it will be another decade until they switch to W8.
>>
>>45926335
There's been zero innovation in Unix/Linux since System V
>>
>>45925949
>Be me
>Use Windows 7 for long time
>Listen to /g/, install Linux
>Ubuntu is shit. Hop to debian. Out of date packages and I don't like the philosophy. Move to Arch, it was nice at first but the package manager is shit with no package signing and systemd is a joke.
>move to Slackware
>It just works and the package manager is the best I've ever seen.
>Remove Windows, Stay with glorious Slack.
>>
>>45929981
I just imagined a bunch of skimask wearing neckbeards breaking into a building, stealing the last XP machine, and forcibly installing Gentoo on it.

>>45930012
>Be me

Well who the fuck else would you be?
>>
>>45930012
That must've been a while ago because Arch has had package signing for a long time now.
>>
i am an avid linux user but that turned around when i installed windows 7. never looked backed.
>>
>>45930035
>wikipedia
Pacman 4 allowed verification of the package database and packages, but it was disabled by default. In November 2011 package signing became mandatory for new package builds, and as of 21 March 2012 every official package is signed.[22]

In June 2012, package signing verification became official and is now enabled by default in the installation process.
>>
>>45929667
>and why would I buy an OS
Why indeed.
>>
>>45925826
>Businesses are still struggling to migrate from XP to Windows 7.
THIS. I work in the IT shop at my uni, and we still have XP machines in production that we simply don't have the cash to replace. The higher ups beyond IT had no contingency plan.
>>
>>45930012
>Slackware
Obvious bait is obvious.
>>
>>45925630
Vanilla Windows 8 master race.
>>
>>45925630
W8 just absolutely sucks
>>
>>45929667
you did right as you were buying a new license
but the ones who already have windows 7 and not upgrading are also right
>>
In ten years only Vista users will remain and they will be the equivalent of FreeBSD users today because Microsoft will discontinue consumer windows
>>
>>45925630
DO NOT TALK TO WINDOWS USERS
>>
>>45926031
>expecting unlimited freedom in a beta build
>>
>>45929950
You could always just install Windows 7. There is absolutely no point in running Windows 8 unless you're using one of those tablets where you're forced to.
>>
This entire thread is dumb wintards trying to defend the use of a keylogger on Windows technical previews, citing the fact that it is a beta release, while ignoring the fact that Debian Testing, Fedora Rawhide, or the beta releases of Red Hat or openSUSE have ever had such spyware?
>>
I'm still on XP.
>>
There is nothing wrong with 8.1, stop being autistic.

I love it, I don't know why I kept using Windows 7 and the start menu button can be restored.

My only problem is that you can't uninstall Onedrive.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.