[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: Installing Arch.2015.png (2 MB, 2720x8688) Image search: [Google]
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 2720x8688
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners. Older thread >>52094669
There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
For people with firefox, of you go to
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alvin_and_the_chipmunks_the_road_chip/
does anything happen when you click on Play Trailer?
If I go to the Videos section I can play them but not from the main page.
>>
I'm having huge issues with booting the latest version of Cinnamon mint

The first time it boots IE when it's installing it's fine but when i restart it tells me theres an ahcpi error (thats a typo I cant remember exactly how its spelt), asks me how i want to boot to mint and then goes black screen with no mouse and it doesn't change from there.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
File: 1436383187981.jpg (396 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
1436383187981.jpg
396 KB, 700x1050
Would the kind anon from >>52111656 tell me if he had anything to this command?
dd bs=4M if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sde
>>
>>52112188
What was your problem?
>>
>>52112258
this came up when I tried to boot into my flashdrive with arch on it
>Waiting 30 seconds for device
>ERROR: device did not show up after 30 seconds...
>You can try fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
>can't find access tty; job control turned off
>>
>>52112181
So you can boot into live usb but there is an installation error?
>>
>>52112286
rewrite the iso into your flash drive. If you are using windows use rufus. If you are on linux,
sudo dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M && sync #remember to umount sdXY first
>>
>>52112297
The same issue happens with the live usb
First boot is fine
Second boot is fucked
>>
I'm confused about the AUR. Do you just download packages directly off the website, or is there a way to do it through the CLI like a normal repo?
>>
>>52112416
There are CLI programs to do it, like Yaourt. But they are hosted on AUR, so you have to install them the official way
>>
>>52112343
>>52112297
going to try a different distro and see what happens, Lubuntu first then ubuntuGNOME second.
>>
>>52112936
Not him but there had to be some issue with your installation media, mint is based on ubuntu stable.
>>
I fucked up /g/

> Decide to install steam on debian because "linux has games now"
> Says it has to delete some packages
> uh okay probably old ones that are outdated
> Prompt asks if I'm sure if I want to delete kernel
> wut? say no
> done
> reboot

everything is fucked

Should I just reinstall debian?
>>
>>52113000
And here I thought the APT memes were just memes.
>>
>>52112971
I believe so, I'll try redownloading the mint installer and try a different usb
>>
Alright, I'm installing Gentoo. I got the point where it will try to boot the kernel. Now I get this panic:
> not syncing vfs: unable to mount root fs to unknow-block (0,0)

>running grsecurity and SELinux
> Hardened kernel
> using rEFInd
> amd64 (x86_64) architecture
> 1 TB hdd
> LUKS encryption
> seperate boot partition (not encrypted)
> Root, Home, and Swap are LVMs

Been googling about, trying every solution I find, but nothing. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
>>
>>52113000
Debian founder is on suicide watch, move to Arch
>>52113019
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
>>
>>52113000
> deleted kernel

If that's actually what happened you've got no choice. You can probably still copy your files to another drive, though.
>>
File: ribbon.gif (44 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
ribbon.gif
44 KB, 480x270
>>52113035
> forgot to post an anime girl
>>
>>52113038
>debian founder is on suicide watch
Yeah but wouldn't he have other people doing stuff for him, or wouldn't somebody else pick up where he left off, either in the exact same form or by rebranding it?
>>
has anyone tried one of the raspberry pi ripoffs? (for example, the orange pi)

what's your experience with it been like? what do you use it for?
>>
>>52113038
>Debian founder is on suicide watch

Looking at his twitter right now, don't you think it's someone else who is posting all this?
>>
I'm installing debian 8.2

Do I need to install SSH Server or Print Server? I dont know exactly if I should check them off or not
>>
>>52113038
Murdock doesn't maintain Debian anymore.
>>
>>52113124
You will very likely need the ssh server. Install the print server if you're going to plug in a printer.
>>
>>52113161
what if I access my printer via wifi?
>>
>>52113124
SSH = Secure Shell

You need it to remotely access your machine. Uncertain if the server is needed to remotely access other machines but the point stands, install it.
>>
>>52113262
I dunno. You can always install the printer crap afterwards, if you find out printing doesn't work.
>>
>>52113269
>>52113161
thank you. Do I need 'web server'?
>>
File: tasksel.png (9 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
tasksel.png
9 KB, 800x592
>>52113351
from this list (via debian wiki) it looks like all you need is
SSH server
standard utilities
laptop utilities
>>
>>52113469
sadly laptop utilities isnt an option

Also, if I'm going to use xfce as my DE do I need to check off Debian desktop environment?
>>
>>52113497
Here is everything to know about tasksel:
https://wiki.debian.org/tasksel

"Debian desktop" installs GNOME stuff
>>
>>52113537
do I need that?
>>
>>52113574
no
>>
>>52113060
>anime girl
>Kill yourself
>>
>>52113657
> Use anime girls to mark my posts so I can find them easier
> This is grounds to commit suicide

If you tell me how to solve the kernel panic I'll do it. It'd be worth it.
>>
>>52113035
Did you check the things you were advised to in the last thread?
>>
>>52113734
Yes. None of it worked.
>>
Been cautiously looking into getting Arch in some form, but I'm still on a pretty newfag level - why do people hate on the noob friendly Arch installers and offshoots like ArchBang or Manjaro so much?
>>
>>52113760
you checked what exactly? How did you troubleshoot making sure correct kernel modules were compiled?
>>
File: 2015-10-28-135456_749x573_scrot.png (106 KB, 749x573) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-28-135456_749x573_scrot.png
106 KB, 749x573
>>52113761
manjaro is a joke
>>
>>52113790
The project site is one thing, but what about the distro itself? Isn't it just regular Arch with a bit more sensible packages?
>>
>>52113813
The distro is just as much of a joke.
>>
>>52113827
I want to hear the specific points though, how is it worse than Arch.
>>
>>52113773
> hdparm -I /dev/sda
> compared pieces of the output with menuconfig searches
> enable things that look similar
> still get panic
>>
File: gentoo_qemu_vfio_GPU_passthrough.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gentoo_qemu_vfio_GPU_passthrough.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1080
Any of you niggas have GPU passthroughs? Anything you'd like to share that counts as a disadvantage? I don't know, maybe not supporting multiple displays for gaymes, adaptive refresh monitors, etc.
>>
>>52113761
Arch is pretty much just for tryhard faggots. It doesn't really do anything special that you couldn't do with a noob friendly distro like debian or fedora. Fedora rawhide and Debian unstable exist and you can do a minimal install of either if you know what you're doing.

Arch used to be configured through plaintext files like slackware and other "classic" distros but with systemd that's gone so there's almost nothing notable left, except the package manager. Installing arch for the package manager alone is kind of stupid though. It's a bit like eating soup so you can use a spoon.

Additionally why would you install arch a distro meant for experienced users if you have no idea what you're doing?
>>
>>52113964
>Additionally why would you install arch a distro meant for experienced users if you have no idea what you're doing?
I like the huge repositories and want to try out how pacman compares to other managers. Not as much interested in minimalism.
>>
how the hell do I connect to the internet during my arch install? I'm using a TP-link n900 network adapter and the ath9k driver seems to be full of problems. Do I stick with it or just go buy a different network adapter? Everytime I try to connect it gives me a shit ton of "Failed to stop TX DMA" errors
>>
>>52113994
I'm pretty sure Debian has the largest repo of any linux distro. It has somewhere around 45,000 packages vs arch's ~10,000. That doesn't include the AUR though I believe but community maintained repos exist for debian and ubuntu as well and you're more likely to come across programs meant for ubuntu than anything else.
>>
>>52113842
because it isn't arch, it uses its own repos and the dev chooses what version of something is included. Which means some packages are unstable and some are out of date. The whole meme of "stablized arch" relies on about 5 people perhaps possibly installing the packages you need, possibly even using them. Even if you find a problem you will likely be told to report it upstream where the devs will just laugh it off because you are using manjaro.
Have fun.
>>
>>52113900
So you haven't actually checked anything then and definitely not what you were told to check.
>>
hi, i need to recover files on an external hdd. what software should i use? im on arch fyi
>>
Has anyone tried Archbang? Is it just a preconfigured minimalist Arch?
>>
>>52113761
>why do people hate on the noob friendly Arch installers and offshoots like ArchBang or Manjaro so much?

Mostly because they're pointless and there's no real reason not to use pure Arch besides laziness.

If the Arch install seems scary, then practice in a VM. More than anything, a couple of runthroughs of the Arch installation will give you a better picture of how/why OS installations work.
>>
>>52114280
I actually did check fstab and the enabled filesystems.

I googled around and isolated the issue to grsecurity; I'm recompiling as we speak.
>>
File: 1449063127288.jpg (161 KB, 395x365) Image search: [Google]
1449063127288.jpg
161 KB, 395x365
How to dual boot Ubuntu MATE with Win7? Is it the same process as regular Ubuntu? I can find plenty of guides on that at least.

I tried downloading Ubuntu once before and I accidentally the Windows partition because I'm a dickhead, so I'm a bit nervous about doing it again.
>>
>>52114787
Just pay attention to what you're doing, and you should be fine.

The key thing, IMO, is to shrink your Windows partition down in Windows itself, if you haven't already. Everything else should be a piece of cake.
>>
How well does wine work for blizzard games? I run arch full time on my laptop and I'm tired of windows on my desktop. I would love to cut the cord completly, but my desktop is mainly for gaming.
>>
>>52114802
Yeah, it should be right. Thing is, I'm pretty sure I did that step correctly the first time round, hence my nervousness about the rest of it.

Once I have both Windows and Linux in their own partitions would I be able to access the same files across both?
>>
How do I git gud with USE flags?
>>
>>52114962
learn what they do
>>
>>52114955
Linux has the ntfs-3g driver to read windows partitions. Windows is dumb as bricks and doesn't have drivers for ext, not to mention the dozen other filesystems available.
>>
>>52114955
Again, just be sure to pay attention. When it says "make partition on free space", it has to make sense (i.e. be the size that you expect it to be, not the whole drive or something different).

They won't be able to see each other by default due to differences between NTFS and ext4. But, you can use NTFS-3G, for example, to mount your Windows partition and use it like normal. Nothing easily exists like that on Windows' side.
>>
>>52114523
plsrespond
>>
I just installed Openbox and I can't use ctrl+alt+F12345... to jump to terminals. Is that something you have to manually configure?
>>
>>52115202
Do you have an Fn key?
>>
>>52114987
>>52115040
So for example if I were to download .jpg memes off 4chan and just save them in a generic pictures folder, Linux could access the ones I saved while on Windows but not the other way around?
>>
>>52113813
>>52113842
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/
>>
>>52115214
It's an old windows keyboard so it has a windows key. Should be the same?
>>
>>52115232
No, at least on my laptop they're two different keys.
Are you running Linux in Virtualbox?
>>
>>52115225
>Linux could access the ones I saved while on Windows but not the other way around?

Essentially corrrect.

Like I said, you can mount the entire Windows partition into a folder with NTFS-3G, which also allows you to read/write to it. So, if you wanted your Linux memes in Windows, you could just save them into the Windows mount rather than your normal /home folder.
>>
>>52114766
I just said
> oh fuck it

and am running genkernel. I'll configure grsecurity and recompile when it's done.
>>
>>52115270
That sounds incredibly inefficient. How do I go about doing all that without fucking my shit up?
>>
>emerge a program on Gentoo
>gets to installing one of the dependencies
>dependency has been compiling for the past 30 minutes
>been watching it scroll through walls of text
Am I getting the true Gentoo experience?
>>
>>52115461
Welcome to Gentoo.
>>
>>52115461
That you are. Are you doing emerge -av?

av = ask verbose = ask me for confirmation before installing and tell me everything about the process as it happens so I know everything that's going down.
>>
>>52115506
Naw, I've generally been using only --ask
>>
>>52115520
Same here. I used to do av but I never read any of the output. I only run verbose when I want to feel like a 7337 h4x0r.

You running hardened or vanilla?
>>
>>52115310
It's really not that complicated.

Here's some scenarios:
* You have a device, /dev/sda
* For simplicity, let's say your windows partition is on /dev/sda1 and your linux partition on /dev/sda2 (this will almost definitely be the case, but again, let's be simple)

>Case 1
* You've booted up into Windows. You see some cool 4chan memes, which you then save to C://Pictures/ (or however the slashes are supposed to be pointed; I can never remember with Windows).
* If you want to see them when you boot into Linux, you'd use NTFS-3G while in Linux: you'd mount the Windows partition to, say, ~/mount, and then you'd find the file.

The specific command would be
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 ~/mount
In this case, the memes would be in ~/mount/Pictures, where ~/mount = C:// now.

>Case 2
* You've booted into Linux. You see some 4chan memes. Normally, you'd save them in ~/pictures/4chanmamays/.
* However, you think you'll use them in Windows, too.
* Thus, you mount the Windows partition with the above line, and save them to ~/mount/Pictures.

The entire mounting process takes milliseconds.

As for safety, it's as safe as an external HDD is, more-or-less. As long as you don't purposely delete important stuff, you should be fine. I mean, you probably won't be messing around with the important Windows folders (for example, most C:// level folders except for Users). Program Files will be useless in Linux, as will the C://Windows folder. So, your shit will be fine.
>>
>>52115565
Vanilla, I actually installed Gentoo on a VM in Arch just to see what it was like. I like all the options it gives you, though they're pretty overwhelming at first. Portage is also pretty good.
>>
>>52115613
I installed it on my laptop when I got bored with Fedora.

Running hardened just because I prefer more security.
>>
What dictates how fonts look? X? Because these default fonts I'm getting from a plain Openbox install are hideous.
>>
>>52115575
Thanks a bunch, anon. Hopefully now I will finally be able to git gud at Linux and shipost on /g/ more effectively.
And learn new things, I guess.
>>
>>52115575
>(this will almost definitely be the case, but again, let's be simple)

***** almost definitely NOT!! be the case

the biggest typo of my life, holy shit
>>
>>52115770
fontconfig. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fontconfig
>>
I made a large encrypted file to store stuff in, and it is located on my file server.

I can mount/unmount and encrypt/decrypt it from my desktop.

The first time I mount and decrypt the newly created file I am able to make folders and transfer files into it. However, all subsequent times I access the encrypted file I am not able to make files/folders.

In the folder properties it says I am the owner, and have read/write permissions. And yet I cannot do anything.

What's going on?
>>
> on x86_64 computer
> kernel keeps compiling as x86 when I do make && make modules_install
> Know I installed an amd64 stage3 tarball

Why the fuck is it doing this?
>>
>>52113790
Manjaro has an installer that always works, but i prefer Antergos for the newer packages.

Manjaro however, enables the bfq scheduled by default iirc, which helps with disk i/o priorities (vmware doesn't use all of the bandwidth, firefox doesn't freeze)
>>
>>52113962
My nigga, i plan to do just that once i purchase an i7-5820k, gtx 980ti, or r9 fury X because i already have a gtx 750ti for passthrough.
>>
>>52111954
So for what purpose is there for Arch Linux not having an installer already?
>>
>>52114802
>shrink your Windows partition down in Windows itself

I always wondered why Linux couldn't do that.
>>
>>52116285
pretentious elitism, probably
>>
>>52116290
It actually can if you're brave enough.
>>
>>52115040
>Nothing easily exists like that on Windows' side.
Search Google for "Extfs for Windows"
>>
>>52116307
>It actually can if you're brave enough.

Gparted won't let me :)
>>
>>52116296
That's what I figured.
>>
>>52116325
I just shrink my Windows partition to make room for a new partition in GParted.
>>
>>52116285
>So for what purpose is there for Arch Linux not having an installer already?

Arch is a very customized, hands-on distro. Just installing it manually can filter out noobs and lazy users, thus keeping the community full of actually learners.
>>
>>52116290
Gnu Parted, for example, USED to be able to do that (prior to 2011). But as far as I can tell, it's been removed from Parted and not recommended for most *nix partition editors because Windows/NTFS has gotten pretty weird over the years.
>>
>>52116349
Yeah, me too, but i was wondering why gparted can't shrink the root partition but Windows partition can.
>>
>>52116394
Because it is mounted.
>>
File: ntfs.png (81 KB, 606x525) Image search: [Google]
ntfs.png
81 KB, 606x525
just werks
>>
>>52116372
Fragmentation on HDD probably, i remember when i could also delete Windows 7's hibersys file as well with mount
>>
>>52116414
Are you kidding?
>>
>>52116434
Rephrase your statement.

Do you want to shrink Linux partition or Windows partition frm GParted?
>>
>>52116463
I wanted to shrink my Linux root partition, while it's mounted because Linux is still running.

Windows can shrink its own root partition, while Windows s running.
>>
Posting from a slow metropcs phone, so typing is a tedious task.
>>
>>52116285

>Why doesn't Arch have an installer?

Why do I need to know what a gas pedal is to drive a Ferrari?
>>
>>52115575
But you're supposed to make a partition solely for sharing files between Windows and Linux.

Why would you mount Window's root partition and risk damaging it?
>>
>>52116506
>mounted
That's the primary problem.
>>
>>52116561
>Problem

Not for Windows. Is Windows some sort of leet hacker OS that can into stuff that Linux cannot into?
>>
>>52116577
I think I should dig up my DOS resources, since that Windows capability are brought from DOS days, and backward-compatibility bullshit and many other things, hold on.
>>
>>52116561
>>52116577
preliminary research indicates that it is possible, but very delicate work; like a witch doctor doing heart surgery
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/226872/how-to-shrink-root-filesystem-without-booting-a-livecd
>copy core functionality to tmpfs
>pivot_root
>unmount the root fs and perform operations
the system is practically offline during this madness, so only the desperate should attempt this kind of sorcery
>>
>>52116657
Damn, that is risky, i think a liveusb is the better choice...
>>
>>52113000
you most likely forgot to update. reinstall. next time read the changes.
>>
>>52116285
there was that evolution os, that had GUI installer for arch
>>
>all this talk about resizing partitions
just don't
>some time ago
>80gb windows partition, 40gb linux, because I still mainly used windows
>sent all of the windows vidya to my HDD, freeing up most of the non-OS space on the partition
>want to shrink windows by 40gb and give it to linux
>gparted time
>one harrowing week long ordeal later the partition table is fucked up the ass and both partitions are completely unusable
>70% sure I accidentally wiped both clean somewhere along the line
>start totally again, give the whole drive to a clean linux install
moral of the story: if you have to ask about resizing partitions, aptitude purge gparted and think about your life instead
>>
>>52117839
It works on my machineâ„¢
>>
>>52117839
What I found as well. It is possible but it's also very easy to fuck up and then everything goes.
>>
>>52117839
>>gparted time
Shrink Windows partition in Windows and then use gparted on a livecd to append the now unallocated space to linux partition.

Worked for me.
>>
>>52113000
Do that, it works fine for me, but adding steamos repos will fuck your shit
also use stable
>>
>>52113038
>Debian founder is on suicide watch
probably won't make a difference to debian development but holy fuck what's going on with him
>>
>>52113124
Are you going to connect a printer? Then yes, get the print server.
SSH is extremely convenient to me at least, let's me use my computer from anywhere, access files with sshfs, copy with rsync. If you only have one computer it's probably not useful for you, but I'd install it for good measure anyway and then instead disable it until you find a reason to use it.
>>
>>52113351
Not really, but it's nice if you want to share some small files easily or just host some tiny web site either to use yourself or to share things with friends.
>>
So, a quick question about video playback. I have a laptop dual booted with Arch and Windows. I use MPC-HC for watching high quality video. I really care about quality. Is there a MPC-HC equivalent for Arch?
>>
How can i start a tmux session with pre-defined windows? I copied this from the arch wiki in my tmux.conf but there is no change:
new  -s SessionName -n WindowName Command
neww -n foo/bar foo
splitw -v -p 50 -t 0 bar
selectw -t 1
selectp -t 0
>>
>>52114523
Testdisk
>>
Hey guys, I've got a copy of Ubuntu and a new ThinkPad currently running windows. Thing is, I already have everything I need in Wangblows.
What would I get out of following through and popping my Linux cherry?
>>
>>52118490
freedom
>>
File: k4m4Wtu.png (97 KB, 536x1875) Image search: [Google]
k4m4Wtu.png
97 KB, 536x1875
>>52111954
Greetings from /dpt/!

Currently, you are talking about Windows more than any other thing in this thread!
>>
>>52118499
so it only counts words?
ok, lemme fix this:
linux linux linux linux linux
>>
>>52118052
MPV is awesome. if you want to go over board with video quality just visit some mpv thread on /g/ and change your config.
>>
>>52118490
Try it and see for yourself. If you're one of the few who are satisfied with windows 8/10, linux may not interest you.
>>
File: 2015-12-29_08-28-37.png (54 KB, 626x728) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-29_08-28-37.png
54 KB, 626x728
>>52118515
Well done!
>>
File: 1449904246911.png (1 MB, 615x945) Image search: [Google]
1449904246911.png
1 MB, 615x945
why is systemd necessary for Arch, although it doesn't in any way fit the KISS mindset?
I'm basing this question on the systemd Wikipedia article, so please correct me if I'm mixing things up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
>>
My GDM lock screen freezes pretty often for some time now. I don't see anything in the logs and have no idea what could be happening. When I suspend the laptop and turn it on again it works.

Anyone else experiencing this?
>>
>>52119119
because arch doesn't give a fuck about KISS.
>>
File: 1449912796785.png (756 KB, 609x940) Image search: [Google]
1449912796785.png
756 KB, 609x940
>>52119205
Well that explains it.
>>
>>52119119
First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.
>>
File: 1449912863656.png (650 KB, 607x935) Image search: [Google]
1449912863656.png
650 KB, 607x935
>>52119461
Alright, I think I'm a bit smarter now, thanks!

If I understood this correctly from the wiki, I have to make a 200M EFI partition, mount it to /boot and install the systemd-boot bootloader to it. Is this correct?
>>
>>52119461
is this some kind of new copypasta?
>>
>>52119626
The wiki recommends 512MB for EFI partition, mount it to /boot, and follow the rest of the Beginners' guide.
>>
File: 1449913199110.png (646 KB, 609x951) Image search: [Google]
1449913199110.png
646 KB, 609x951
>>52119696
Yeah, I was gonna use 512M anyway, just saw the 200M recommendation somewhere else but I've got space to spare.
Is it true that the efi partition has to be the first on the disk?
>>
>>52119731
Are you dual booting Windows with Linux?
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6389604
>>
>>52113000
you can burn a debian iso onto a flash drive, boot it, manually mount the filesystem and then download a new kernel where the old one was, that should work
>>
>>52116051
Anyone?
>>
>>52119762
I was trying to for a couple of days, but it grub-install would never even find the efi partition for some reason. So I'm thinking of just wiping the whole disk and trying it this way.
I'm gonna try dualbooting one more time though. Any advice?
>>
>>52119817
If you already have Windows, just mount your /dev/sda1 (should be the EFI partition) as /boot.

CMIIW, I never tried UEFI.
>>
>>52119789
>can't even vote in strawpoll without googleapis being active

>>52119837
I'm a bit confused right now. Looking at my partition table, it seems I have two ESPs right next to each other as sda1 and sda2 for some reason. I'm not really sure it was that way before..
>>
So, where can I get a free 64 bit virtual machine software for windows? VirtualBox is limited to 32 bits, can't find a suitable VMware.
>>
>>52119875
>VirtualBox is limited to 32 bits
No it isn't
>>
>>52119875
VBox does 64bit, but you're free to use KVM.
>>
File: 244658h.jpg (282 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
244658h.jpg
282 KB, 1600x1200
Installed Ubuntu 15.10
5.1 sound works out of the box! (Z170X)
what now?
>>
>>52118575
what is that written in?
>>
>>52120220
C#/WPF

Thought it would be appropriate for a Linux thread.
>>
>>52118490
My personal experience:

Linux does a couple of things slightly better than Windows, although it may not be obvious.

1) Boot times (especially with min. installation distros)
2) Consistent performance even at high uptimes
3) Natural implementation of workspaces

The first two are somewhat debatable, but they've been true in my own experience. Windows 10 DOES have its own implementation of workspaces, via Task View. But, it's fairly clunky and not very customizable.

Customization is something that Linux is clearly better. Windows doesn't come with much ways to customize things out of the box -- almost everything comes from sources that, honestly, are somewhat difficult to trust. With Linux, the basic building blocks of customization (DEs, WMs, config files) have more widespread use and don't touch anything important.

And, of course, freedom. With "perfect" programming knowledge, you can rewrite a larger percentage of Linux programs for your exact needs.
>>
>>52120057
install gentoo
>>
>>52120057
Update, upgrade, install programs, tezy programs, test DEs, test WMs, change stuff, get comfortable, use until it breakes, install debian.
>>
File: 1414083605130.png (755 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1414083605130.png
755 KB, 1080x1920
>>52119789
help me pls, don't want to be using linux for lesbians.
>>
Does anyone use void linux?
>Software/Repositories
How much software is available, can you get stuff like steam or spotify?
>Package Manager
How does xbps compare to Pacman or Altitude
>Documentation
How much documentation is out there for Void?
>Pros/Cons/other comments
>>
File: permissions.png (21 KB, 628x555) Image search: [Google]
permissions.png
21 KB, 628x555
>>52119810
This is the permissions tab. Does the group (which is my user name) need read/write permission? Because it won't let me change that.
>>
>>52120626
roger, anon
>>
Just installed Fedora ARM on my RPI2. Feels good
>>
OK /flt/, I just installed Ubuntu MATE onto an aging Gateway (1.86GHz Core2Duo, 1GB RAM, had XP out of the box) rather than Win7 because I'm pretty damned sure that this machine will croak under that much stress.

Friend of the family wanted to use this thing for Excel

Obviously it has LibreOffice preinstalled, but I'm curious how well MSOffice 2007 would run on Wine. Has anyone tried this with any level of success yet?
>>
File: 1384328100898.jpg (264 KB, 714x1013) Image search: [Google]
1384328100898.jpg
264 KB, 714x1013
>>52120726
Embrace your inner dyke, Anon
>>
File: whwahahwhhwhw.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
whwahahwhhwhw.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>52121264
n-no
>>
File: 1386159277887.jpg (417 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1386159277887.jpg
417 KB, 1000x1000
>>52121326
Do it
>>
>>52121211
Should run relativ stable. Has good ratings on WineHQ.
>>
File: 4W3Uahk.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
4W3Uahk.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
>>52121393
No! I.. I don't want to!
>>
>>52120963
It appears that when it mounts it attaches to a loop device, which is read only.

Why?
>>
>>52121466
It hung trying to install Wine...
Jesus this thing is old...
>>
>>52120907
Plz I need help picking a new OS now that debian is BTFO
>>
>>52121623
how is debian BTFO?
>>
>>52121623
I have tried void and coming from Arch it was a shit experience.
The repo and documentation is really lacking.
Seriously, just use Arch.
>>
>>52121708
the documentation is great, just the wiki is lacking. (you can always use the arch wiki for every distro) also: compared to arch, how is the official repo lacking?
>>
>>52121708
Thanks for the reply m80 what was duo shit about it?
>>
>>52121644
Creator is literally on suicide watch
>>
>>52121771
murdock hasn't been involved with debian for years and it's more likely that someone got into his account. otherwise every tech blog would be on about it.
>>
I have a laptop running antergos and an SD card, how do I encrypt the sd card?
>>
>>52121918
rm -rf
>>
does anyone know of a music player for linux with embbeded and external cue support, besides foobar via wine?
>>
>>52121771
He's so suicidal he can't even remember the URL of his own blog
>>
>>52122609
I know Clementine has support for it, but I am personally moving away from it since it doesn't work all that great.

Does anyone know if you can get .cue support for Amarok?
>>
>>52122718
if clementine weren't so ugly and had a better library manager it would be an option

if you mostly use playlists deadbeef has .cue support, but the library manager plugin is pretty useless.
>>
File: 55445.jpg (254 KB, 433x439) Image search: [Google]
55445.jpg
254 KB, 433x439
I just fixed the screen tearing on xfce.
>>
>>52117839
This >>52117897 desu senpai
>>
>>52122785
COMPTON
O
M
P
T
O
N
>>
>>52123000
WAYLAND
A
Y
L
A
N
D
>>
File: reallifepepe.webm (1 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
reallifepepe.webm
1 MB, 320x320
>try installing arch
>install grub
>reboot pc
>boots directly into a grub shell without even leaving the choice of entering UEFI
yay
>>
>>52116506
You can't. Burn gparted to USB then boot USB live Cd you cannot edit a partition while it's in use
>>
So dual booting:

Which distros aside from ubuntu install the system alongside windows without having to manually create partitions?

-How would someone "remove" linux while keeping Windows intact?
>>
>>52123226
Then good riddance. We don't need idiots who can't even follow simple instructions in the wiki.
>>
File: 1450519568589.jpg (130 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1450519568589.jpg
130 KB, 1024x576
>>52123309
rood
>>
>>52123299
>Which distros aside from ubuntu install the system alongside windows without having to manually create partitions?
Is it really that hard to just resize your partition through Windows?

>How would someone "remove" linux while keeping Windows intact?
No idea since I don't think Windows recognizes that partition through explorer. Maybe the disk management program does it, otherwise I'd think it would be through diskpart?
>>
>>52123299
most every modern distro that has a gui installer can do that, and for those that can't/don't do it automagically it's not that hard to do manually, just be sure which partition is your windows partition and don't overwrite it
>>
>>52123352
>Is it really that hard to just resize your partition through Windows?

No, it's just I don't really know how much swap space should I use.
>>
>>52123299
>-How would someone "remove" linux while keeping Windows intact?
Boot into windows, download and install EasyBCD, delete Linux partitions in Disk Manager, launch EasyBCD, deploy EasyBCD.
>>
>>52123393
none unless you plan to sleep/hibernate the system,
>>
>>52123466
Oh ok, now that's quite easier.

>>52123459
Thanks, I was curious about this.

Thank you both.
>>
>>52111954
how does /flt/ feel about openSUSE? it's not talked about much here
>>
>>52123060
>Wayland
tell us your story
>>
>>52123598
If it's both slightly popular and not talked about it in here, it probably means most people are ok with it.
>>
>>52123598
it's a nice distro if you're into kde,
>>
>>52123598
it's even in the OP. it's breddy good but i don't like KDE and muh 50000 packages, so i'll personally stay with debian.
>>
>>52123598
It's alright, and has a very nice and easy to follow wiki.
Since by default it comes with KDE, many people don't use it.
Furthermore these days many are moving to Arch
>>
>>52123060
how'd you get it working? did you contribute upstream?
>>
>>52123659
>Furthermore these days many are moving to Arch
[citation needed]
>>
>>52123623
>>52123683
Nah I'm just playing with Weston within X. Sorry if I got your hopes up
>>
>>52123699
meant to quote >>52123664
>>
>>52123683
I've been following /flt/ for sometime. People are asking about arch installation more than usual. Even OP has a installation summary and no one is complaining about it
>>
I look at desktop threads with a lot of jealousy for riced-out builds but then I wonder if using the terminal to do everything is even that productive

So I just got Ubuntu 15.10, turned off the Amazon crap, and installed Arc-Darker

Now I can get on with my life
>>
>>52123733
Being hybrid is the best.
>>
>>52123733
use the CLI when it's convenient, use clicking when it's convenient. don't listen to ricer faggots about anything.
>>
>>52123733
i try to use the terminal as much as possible. of course, some tasks like browsing are better done with a gui. and then i switch.
i find myself often in some applications where i move the mouse around, looking for a button which looks like every other to do something really simple. in a terminal, this would be 2 letters, tab tab, enter
>>
>>52123733
Use what works for you anon. Not everyone is the same.
>>
>>52123767
This. I use CLI for mpv because I usually know what I'm gonna watch and I'm not going to be changing my video playlist a lot.

For music I use GUI applications because I like to change my playlist frequently and I can use global hotkeys to play/pause without having the application in focus.
>>
File: w3m.png (821 KB, 1180x881) Image search: [Google]
w3m.png
821 KB, 1180x881
>>52123733
Of course CLI is better than a GUI for everything.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise !
>>
>>52124012
How the fuck?? I now feel like a noob
>>
>>52124121
lynks I rhink
>>
>>52124121
type w3m into terminal and learn to read filenames
>>
File: 1450393100044.png (175 KB, 482x436) Image search: [Google]
1450393100044.png
175 KB, 482x436
Installed xubuntu-lts couple days ago. I don't mind old packages as long as my system is stable. Started to look for some themes in their official repository
>Shit tier community
>Ubuntu wiki is literal garbage
>More blogs by indians than actual wiki pages
>I will never get used to typing "apt-get install/remove"
Crawled back to Arch and everything feels good again. Too bad Arch is a rolling release
>>52124121
Look up text based browsers. Protip: All are useslsess
>>
>>52124176
just go debian
also w3m is useful if you fuck something up real bad and can't access another computer.
>>
>>52124176
you can use an lts kernel on arch, and updating as soon as updates are available isn't mandatory. with a little care in what and when you update, arch can be just as stable as anything else
>>
>>52124197
I left out a partition to install and test debian lts. It's on my plan
>>52124212
I thought lts packages were as important as the lts kernels.
I have used Arch for quite a while but never broke my system, except for the bizarre case in which infinality fucked my WM. Nowadays I stay the fuck out of AUR as much as possible.
It's a bit of a dilemma with updating. I am just too lazy to update everyday, on the other hand if I am not updating regularly, I might as well use manjaro
>>
>>52124296
*in my plan
>>
>on arch
>sudo pacman -Syu
>oh wait better check news, cancel and go to archlinux.org
>c++ abi change
>breaks half of unofficial packages and AUR shit
>turns system into a complete fucking mess

gj gcc/clang/arch fags for not planning it out so that everything wouldn't break

This kind of shit is why people don't like Linux
>>
>>52124176 Here
Also, I have been noticing some new packages are not showing in the cinammon menu. (Until Cinnamon/Nemo) is restarted.
Am I missing something too obvious?
>>52124349
That's the kind of craziness that keeps me away from AUR. It's packages are not officially supported, so the risk is up to you
>>
File: 1444759900086.png (871 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
1444759900086.png
871 KB, 650x4377
>>52124349
>>
>>52124435
Not a very matured way of criticizing something you haven't used
>>
>>52124470
actually i did. and i don't think any inexperienced user should even consider using arch. the official repo is a joke and the AUR breaks shit like in>>52124349
some of the people that tried arch because of the shilling on here won't come back to the GNU + Linux ecosystem and will hurt the public perception of GNU + Linux as a whole. just like in the comic i posted.
>>
>>52124665
>the official repo is a joke
Explain please
>>
>>52124719
>x86_x64
>5492 matching packages found
the maintainers are too lazy to add stuff because everyone uses AUR anyway.
>>
File: confusion.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
confusion.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
> Configuring gentoo
> Boot into fedora livecd to configure uefi options
> mount --rbind dev and sys from the fedora cd to the gentoo chroot

Will this fuck anything up? I'm starting to suspect that it is.
>>
>>52124767
>>
>>52116235
the fuck are you on about. Firefox doesn't freeze with cfq, deadline or noop. Nice one for using the least developed scheduler of all.
>>
I installed Debian last night, but it said I need some "non-free" drivers for my wifi adapter, and I'm certain I need more for the other features of my system (Thinkpad X230)

How do I get the proper software on it to get my hardware features working correctly?

On the Thinkpad website I can find my driver software but its mostly for windows systems. Only linux distro it seems to support is Red Hat.

(I shoulda listened to /flt/ when they told me to go xubuntu instead) i do like the Debian philosophy... I think. And it looks really sleek and runs extremely fast.
>>
>>52125012
google up the address of the debian nonfree repos and add that to your sources list, and you should be good to go
>>
>>52125048
>google up the address of the debian nonfree repos and add that to your sources list, and you should be good to go
>>52125012
you just need to open /etc/apt/sources.list with nano/another editor and add contrib and non-free after main.
>>
>>52125048
>>52125108
After I've done this, how do I get all the drivers installed correctly? Will it be rather automatic from this point? Sorry for being such a raw noob.
>>
Anyone ever had virtual dependencies conflicts or whatever while installing packages?

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS.

Something like this

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python-cffi-backend : Depends: libffi5 (>= 3.0.4) which is a virtual package.
python-cffi : Depends: python-pycparser which is a virtual package.

Any advice Anon?
>>
>>52125131
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install linux-firmware-nonfree
if you don't have aptitude installed install it with apt.
>>
>>52125139
python-cffi is a package for wily

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=python-cffi&searchon=names&suite=wily&section=all
>>
>>52125156
>>52125108
>>52125048
thank you anons thank you
>>
>>52123725
>>52123683

Nah, Arch has always been a thing on /g/, regardless of general.

Debian has seen a much bigger shift, even though I'd rarely seen it mentioned before.
>>
New ubuntu install on ssd. Ext4 or btrfs?
>>
>>52125782
if you have to ask: ext4
>>
>>52125165

Wily is 15.10 right?

Does it mean I CAN'T install that package on my version?

I'm a bit confused here.

I was following this simple tutorial (with the wheezy path) and nothing seems to say that it won't work on my version.

https://docs.mopidy.com/en/latest/installation/debian/

I wanted to try that spotify extension over my good old MPD (that I think it does not support spotify)
>>
File: 1442089466871.png (88 KB, 214x239) Image search: [Google]
1442089466871.png
88 KB, 214x239
WAIT A SECOND
I have to mount my /boot partition to /boot/efi for grub-install to work?!
>>
>>52125829
which step did you get to?
>>
wait, you use 12.04 on a desktop? why?
>>
>>52125845
If that's what wiki says
>>
>>52125939
Everything seems to work fine until that line:
sudo apt-get install mopidy-spotify

(I now use aptitude, but I do not think it would change anything)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.