[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mobile workstation/ desktop replacement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: signature17_main2_AE[1].png (305 KB, 670x530) Image search: [Google]
signature17_main2_AE[1].png
305 KB, 670x530
So /g/,
what is the best mobile computer one can buy?
I am interested at those stone cast 5 kg setups that will never overheat and will feel confi compiling 5gb of code while playing gta5 on max settings.
what is the best new?
but to make things harder what is the best for the money from the aftermarket, lets say @ US$500, as the selection pool is huge.
Do you have an opinion on that issue /g/?

pic unrelated I guess
>>
>>51942662
Cyka
>>
My opinion is that desktop replacements are a really bad compromise. You can have a powerful desktop for serious work and a thin, light laptop for use on the go for similar money to the cost of buying a high-end desktop replacement.

There are specific situations in which they make sense (on-location pro video production, for example) but they're few and far between and I think it's really worth considering if your application really demands something that's barely mobile.
>>
>>51942900
Workstation laptops make sense in all scenarios where you have hardware requirements which necessitate a workstation, but mobility requirements that rule out a desktop. In such a situation there isn't a compromise to be made, as a desktop/ultrabook combo would not solve the issue. Examples include civil engineering/architecture, CAD work/rendering, and as you stated video editing.

OP, you're retarded and you won't find a new desktop replacement for $500. Maybe if you go on ebay and buy a used Lenovo workstation laptop that's a couple generations out of date.
>>
>>51942944
Yeah, I'm well aware of the architecture segment in particular, as my dad is in a related field and does CAD work all day.

However, even those fields often don't actually necessitate a laptop, as many jobs involve setting up in the same place for a few weeks at a time. My dad used a desktop replacement for a while, but switched to a small desktop since it's so much more efficient and convenient to work with that it's worth the hassle of moving multiple components around. He only uses his laptop for displaying premade renderings to clients and for very short trips now.
>>
Thinking the same. Don't want the commitment of a static located PC.
Thinking of something like maybe a W series or x1 carbon steel with an eGPU for gaming.
>>
>>51942883
лигaви мecoтo, кypвo
>>
>>51942944
>aftermarket
>new
maybe I am not the retardetest poster in this thread, fastWriteNoread- one.

>sed Lenovo workstation laptop that's a couple generations out of date.
to my question: WHICH ONE?
this was my question which one is best for the money, new and secondhand?
>>
>>51943580
Can you read? Do you speak English? My statement was prefaced with "you won't find a new desktop replacement for $500"; the subsequent suggestion was given as an alternative.

Fuck off back to duolingo you ignorant foreigner, this is an American Tibetan fingerpainting bulletin board.
>>
>>51943505
but W are 15" max, are they not?
what about fujitsu - I used to have one 17" from XP erra it worked for at least 5 years - I mean played all new games and stuff - it was expensive, and randomly picked from my parents, but proved to be extremely well build... It was user machine though not workstation class, I didnt care for work then anyway.
Fujitsu seems to have bad reputation here if any, why is that? (I am kinda new to /g/ anyway)
>>
>>51943598
fu, you done wrong and embarrassed your pity self in front of those fine gentleman and ladies that happen to lurk around this high society, elite turkish shit dropper image shop,
just admit it and let go
if you can contribute - do
if not - go back to /b/ to be sore and edgy, please
>>
>>51943654
>you done wrong
>embarrassed your pity self
>improper use of hyphens

I hope you step on a Lego tonight you incompetent knave, go take the poo to the loo or whatever flavor-of-the-week regional meme applies to your backwater place of origin.
>>
>>51943672
I will bite,
amerifat
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.