[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: sudosandwich.png (12 KB, 360x299) Image search: [Google]
sudosandwich.png
12 KB, 360x299
Prev thread: >>51916772

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
For few days now, I am using Arch Linux but I fail to configure the sound.

I downloaded the alsa, asla mixer and PulseAudio. I want to be able to change/mu
te the volume through a GUI in my tint2 pannel and with the keys built-in my key
board (So I also downloaded xbindkeys)

In alsamixer, I see nothing muted but the command
amixer sset Master unmute

replies back
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0

Same goes when I try to increase the volume.

Going in alsamixer, the card HDA Intel HDMI is display by default.
I type f6, choose HDA Intel PCH instead (again, nothing is muted) but no matter what, I fail to get sound from the laptop speaker / jack output.

It may be something obvious since this is my first time using arch elsewhere than a virtual machine.
>>
>>51928589
>sudo make me a sandwich
>anon is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
;_;
>>
File: bug.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bug.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
gentoomen
I just did a clean install of Ubuntu Server on an old PC. I wish to run some services like ownCloud, SAMBA, SSH and FTP on it.

I'm pretty new to Linux. What are the basic security measures I have to take?
I already enabled UFW and only allow those services I need
I installed fail2ban (using default settings)
SHH and Samba have a strong password and aren't port forwarded on my routher. ownCloud is available from the internet, but only via HTTPS
Anything else important I'm missing?
>>
>>51928709
You're good
>>
Is there a way to install the patched gtk file chooser to 'enable' thumbnails in open/save popup dialog windows in ubuntu?
Why is this not included by canonical by default?
Literary what are they working on?
>>
>>51928922
it is possible but why don't you just drag and drop instead?
>>
File: calming_product.jpg (73 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
calming_product.jpg
73 KB, 500x494
>>51928720
Are you sure bro? I'm paranoid
>>
>>51929164
If you wanted to put that tinfoil on tight you could port forward nothing but a super tight VPN. Maybe you could make it so you authenticate to SSH with a key, not a password too.

But, security isn't really about making something impenetrable. You really just don't want to be low hanging fruit.

With fail2ban, security patches, sane firewall and router settings I wouldn't lose sleep.
>>
File: thats_nice.jpg (29 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
thats_nice.jpg
29 KB, 450x450
>>51929259
Ok thanks bro
>>
>>51928631
Every now and then I see people suffering from sound configuration syndrome in Arch. Is it really that bad?
My sound just works out of the box in Ubuntu and Debian. Why wouldn't it run that way for Arch users?
>>
>>51928709
Does your autism not trigger when you see that creepy little fuck?
>>
File: 1446769466459.png (239 KB, 814x1685) Image search: [Google]
1446769466459.png
239 KB, 814x1685
friendly reminder
>>
>>51929331
but why
>>
>>51928631
Take a look into setting the default sound card in the wiki, I use asoundconf or smth like that but I'm sure that are easier ways.
>>
>>51929331
god fucking dammit

fuck you

goosebumps all over my skin
>>
>>51929331
fuck dude that's not ok
>>
>>51929331
napalm mandatory
>>
>>51929331
What did I watch that again :^|
>>
What is a comfy browser to use with system config as show in pic related? Vivaldi feels fucking slow. Iceweasel feels so too.
>>
File: sf.png (79 KB, 642x378) Image search: [Google]
sf.png
79 KB, 642x378
>>51929433
Forgot the pic
>>
>>51929451
internet explorer
>>
>>51929451
iceweasel aurora
>>
File: 1447624702635.jpg (213 KB, 1024x1500) Image search: [Google]
1447624702635.jpg
213 KB, 1024x1500
daily dose
>>
I'm an ultra-beginner to Linux here, just put Gentoo on a VM. Any quick tips for me? Because currently it feels like I can't do anything.
>>
>>51929634
>gentoo
>quick
choose one
>>
>>51929634
>beginner
>gentoo
you what?
>>
>>51929639
I guess I made a bad choice? What should I go with instead?
>>
File: 1440648860267.png (263 KB, 523x372) Image search: [Google]
1440648860267.png
263 KB, 523x372
>>51929668
Dude... Gentoo is literally a meme. We recomend it because you have to basically build your OS from scratch.
>>
>>51929668
debian if you can read, xubuntu, mint or opensuse if you want something that just works.
>>51929700
gentoo is great for obscure processor architectures and really tiny amounts of memory.
>>
>>51929729
Adding to this, any Debian based distro is gold if just want to get a Linux system up and running.

Arch, Gentoo and the like is a choose your own adventure book.
>>
>>51929729
>>51929813
Alright, downloading Mint now. Any particular quirks I should be aware of going in?
>>
>>51929833
well mint may be a bit slow if you use cinnamon but other than that it will just werk. also use LMDE if possible.
>>
>>51929846
No anon, if this was 10 or so years ago I might have agreed with you. But with today's builds with gratuituous amounts of ram I doubt any DE will be THAT slow.

Mint is fine. Any DE is fine. Pick what you like.
>>
>>51929350
Can I get a link b0ss?
>>
How do you start qemu from terminal without this warning /g/?
qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1G -vga std -usbdevice tablet -cdrom Downloads/ubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso ubango &

WARNING: Image format was not specified for 'ubango' and probing guessed raw.
Automatically detecting the format is dangerous for raw images, write operations on block 0 will be restricted.
Specify the 'raw' format explicitly to remove the restrictions.

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1G -vga std -usbdevice tablet -drive file=Downloads/ubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso,index=0,media=disk,format=raw ubango &

qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=Downloads/ubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso,index=0,media=disk,format=raw: drive with bus=0, unit=0 (index=0) exists
>>
Hello personal tech support team, what distro should I install to my grandma's laptop?
I have a niece who downloads unimaginable amounts of toolbars and other shit that takes forever to remove every time I visit my grandma. It also cripples the laptop to a point where she can't even use skype anymore, because the fucking windows explorer crashes every time she starts it.
So I figured my niece couldn't fuck her shit up with windows executables if I installed some loonix distro on it. She could still get chrome extensions and whatnot, but that's easily managable.
So I need something simple that's easy to understand and doesn't have muh command line interfaces, and I realized gentoo is probably not the way to go.
Should I just install shitbuntu?
Has anyone been in a similar situation?
>>
>>51928445
Not a perfect answer, but try looking through:
https://github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/blob/master/screenfetch-dev

Whatever var you want to add to the display must be in the code and used correctly.

As far as I can tell, the generic full display is:
>user@host
>OS
>Kernel
>Uptime
>Packages
>Shell
>Resolution
>DE
>WM
>WM Theme
>GTK2 Theme
>GTK3 Theme
>Icon Theme
>Font
>Disk
>CPU
>GPU
>RAM

Some things might not present or relevant: DE, for example, if you're not using a DE. Others are less obvious: GTK2, GTK3, Icon, and Font are called by the same variable "gtk". If it's not present (i.e. you're not using a GTK theme), then none of the variables will show up on the display.

Also note that this will always be the order. So, if your screenfetch doesn't display Disk usage by default and you add it in, it'll always be between the GTK variables and CPU.

You can do some searching in the code to figure out exactly what variable goes to each thing displayed by Screenfetch. Try searching for "display[@]". Whatever word is listed afterward (for example, "host") is what's called. So, "screenfetch -d '-host'" would remove "user@host".
>>
>>51930522
Lubuntu is simpler to use IMO and uses 2x-3x less ram.
>>
>>51930522
i installed mint on my dads computer, he liked it. especially that he was able to update stuff with the gui updater.
ubuntu might be good aswell. let her choose by default theme, that's really the only thin normies/tech-illiterates care about.
>>
Does anyone know how hard it is to get UE4 running on GNU + Linux?
I really only want to play around with some Game dev stuff in my free time and i am not sure if i should use blender or UE for this.
>>
>>51930683
UE4 is non-free, you can't run it on GNU + Linux. But you can run UE4 on Linux.
>>
>>51930683
If it has to be compiled like UT4 it would be might take some time and a LOT of GiBs
>>
>>51929700
Compiling isn't really building an OS from scratch.
>>
Which one is easier for the pc to play?
Which is 'better' quality?

>webm 640x360 medium , vorbis, vp8.0
vs
>mp4 640x360 medium , mp4a.40.2, avc1.42001E
>>
>>51930522
Why do you give that niece of yours an admin account?
>>
>>51930728
First one is webm and second one is mp4, so mp4 is better.
>>
>>51930728
Containers and codes don't tell you shit about the actual quality
>>
>>51930702
Only because I use GNU with Linux doesn't mean i can't run non-free software anon.
>>51930703
it has to. but i am not sure how good it works and there really is not much information on this. but they do say that it worked on gentoo and *buntu LTS 14.04
>>
>>51930795
No, when you run GNU + Linux, you must strictly run free software because of GNU's ridiculous policy. However when you run LINUX, you aren't tied to it.
>>
>>51930810
GNU doesn't have a policy, it's a collection of software that can be used in an OS. In my particular case i use it with the Linux kernel (it's a nice symbiosis). If i was using the Linux kernel with another userland like busybox i would have to specify this in order to get accurate help. I don't see how this discussion is relevant to my original question.
>>
>>51930920
GNU is a project which has a philosophy, anon.
>>
>>51930939
A philosophy is not the same as a policy. If i want to get help for GNU with Linux i specify that i use it, if i would be using Android or Linux with Busybox i would specify this aswell.
>>
>>51930653
>>51930657
Thanks I'll check and see which one has a more normie looking gui.
Also do you know if these have decent international translations? My grandma doesn't speak english.
>>51930753
It just has one account and no password. I didn't want to get too advanced with user accounts and passwords, it took a fairly long time to get my grandma to understand how to log into facebook, so I didn't want to get her too confused. With linux I'll just tell her to use the same password she did for facebook (probably my mom's name+mine), that way she'll be able to log in, but my niece won't be able to do any major damage, since linux isn't retarded like windows and doesn't let you do everything without further authentication once you log in.
>>
>>51930995
A philosophy is what drives a policy, anon. That's why there are FSF-endorsed distros.
>>
>>51931006
Which language? If it's French or German you'll be fine with anything Debian based. Most distros have great translations for almost any language. That's one of the major "selling points" for GNU/Linux in some countries.
>>
>>51929350
I wish this wasn't true, but these were the same things I noticed when trying to embrace open source technology

when there's money involved, people tend to work harder
>>
>>51931030
It can drive a policy but if the GNU project doesn't specify a policy for GNUs usage (which would contradict the licenses they use), it simply doesn't exist.
>>
>>51931038
Uh it's actually hungarian. Not a very widely spoken language, that's why I asked.
I've heard someone made a really nice translation for antergos tho, so I might just go with that if I can't find anything better. Cinnamon is nice and comfy anyway.
>>
>>51931006
>I didn't want to get too advanced with user accounts and passwords
You own damn fault.
Also, teach your niece to not be retarded.
>>
Hey again. I have yet another installation problem that i'd love a little help with.

Basically i'm tring to compile the sirius servers right now and it's saying that I don't have OpenFST, but I literally JUST installed the latest version of OpenFST manually one second ago. The error is.

Configuring ...
Checking OpenFST library in ...
***configure failed: Could not find file /include/fst/fst.h:
you may not have installed OpenFst. See ../tools/INSTALL ***

Not sure what's happening. Has anyone ever gotten this problem before?
>>
>>51931176
hungarian is one difficult language indeed. i would recommend you to just try ubuntu out in hungarian and see if there are a lot of mistakes. debian is a good fallback for obscure languages.
>>
>>51931234
>
Could not find file /include/fst/fst.h

Well, did you look already if that file exists elsewhere in you system?
>>
>>51931176
http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/hungarian_17.0.pdf
is this good? if it is, the OS itself should have a good translation aswell.
>>
File: 2015-12-scrot.png (705 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-scrot.png
705 KB, 1680x1050
>>51931006
pretty comfy anon
>>
>>51931286
Ok I think I see the problem. For some reason it's saying that I don't have permission to anything anything in that folder. I'm gonna try to chmod it and go from there.
>>
>>51931006
my mom loves XFCE but GNOME is supposed to be the easiest to use, they constantly brag about their human interface buzzwords so you could give that a try. just make sure you set everything up for her so she doesn't have to do it herself.
>>
>>51931286
>>51931362
Nah nothing happened. Still says it's not there even though it is. Thanks anyway.
>>
File: 1449865585637.jpg (249 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1449865585637.jpg
249 KB, 640x1136
I'm building a home server, what is a good distro for this? I've pretty much only used Ubuntu (and occasionally Debian/CentOS) and was think of putting the minimal headless Ubuntu server edition on it.

Reasons for doing so are:
1) It's supported
2) It's familiar
3) It's repos are up to date

But I don't really know better so I could be missing out.

Any suggestions? Does it even matter?
>>
>>51931470
use debian stable and update once a year. it doesn't really matter for home servers though.
>>
>>51931283
Thanks anon noted
>>51931302
That looks legit to me. Hungarian translations are either google translate or a native speaker taking the time to translate stuff, this is the latter.
>>51931350
Damn that looks so 2006ish I love it
>>51931376
I'm liking xfce and lxde so far, cinnamon is a bit heavy on resources, and while the laptop is not terribly old, it would probably be better to go with something lightweight. So xubuntu lubuntu or mint with xfce are all looking pretty good. I guess I'll download all three of them and see which one she prefers
>>51931208
She's a girl...
I'm honestly kind of glad she's trying shit like downloading skyrim and gta repacks (and installing hundreds of adware like tune up utility, make my pc faster.exe, toolbars, custom rockmelt browsers, etc. in the process, because she just clicks accept to everything in every installer) instead of just being on facebook and playing candy crush or farmville or whatever the fuck teenage girls play all day.
I did the same kind of stuff when I was her age, and gradually learned to use a computer by doing it. I remember accidentally installing some lapdancing chick overlay on the family computer in like 2002.
>>
>>51931859
>She's a girl...
and?
>>
>>51931952
Women can't into logic and rational thinking, because their emotions get in the way. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's not optimal for operaring computers.
>>
>>51932138
We're talking here about not installing stupid toolbars, not programming or something.
>>
Recommend a linux distro for someone who's been running ubnuntu and other ez distros without ever changing much, but now wants to actually 'learn linux' ? Thinking of installing arch but i don't want to fuck up somewhere along the line and be stuck with a broken system since i only have access to my laptop atm
>>
>>51932226
install gentoo
>>
>>51932226
Contrary to popular believe, installing a try-hard distro won't teach you shit about linux.
You also have the VM option if you want to learn more about installing Linux.
>>
>>51932226
Run Arch in a VM?

Really, Arch is pretty easy and not scary at all. The installation is the only truly scary bit, and you can easily have dry runs of that.
>>
>>51932226
Stick with what you know/currently have. If you have no desire to "learn" Linux in a distro you're comfortable with then installing a distro you're uncomfortable with is hardly going to be an enlightening experience.
>>
does anyone have a guide on hardware passthrough for a virtual machine? I want to look through what parts I will need when I next buy a pc and see how difficult it will be to setup
>>
just installed debian on my macbook.
what's the coolest wm these days? I used awesome about 2 years ago
>>
>>51932382
awesome is still awesome
>>
>>51932382
openbox hype train died a few years back. everyone's on board the i3 hype now.
>>
File: Hayek-e1410112990391.jpg (563 KB, 2685x2000) Image search: [Google]
Hayek-e1410112990391.jpg
563 KB, 2685x2000
Hello friends, I am building my new computer and am going to put Linux on it because it's small and smooth (I am using Mint cinnamon, pretty ok, reccomend something different if you wish), and someone was trying to explain that I could dedicate my entire GPU to a VM of windows to run games on it(that are not available to linxucks). Could anyone explain how this works and how hard it would be to do? I would have a Power color PCS+ R390
Thanks!
>>
>>51932257
>>51932282
I get that just installing arch and then ricing the fuck out of it won't necessarily teach me a lot.
Planning on doing some actual projects like setting up servers once i get my other hardware here(just moved to another country).

Probably just going to take the advice of installing in a VM first and then take the plunge when I'm comfortable. The thought of having to troubleshoot an install with the only web browser available being the one on my rooted E-reader triggers me.

>>51932303
before i left home i just slapped Ubuntu on my laptop because I really had no time for anything and needed something that just works. Now that I actually have time to work on shit I wanna switch & learn stuff. Has little to do with desire or being comfortable since I actually kinda dislike ubuntu
>>
>>51932441
>The thought of having to troubleshoot an install with the only web browser available

That's reasonable.

Honestly, if you're using something Arch-based, I recommend going through the true Arch installation (in a VM or on an actual computer) at least once.

Otherwise, try Architect Linux (a pure Arch installer but with steps: http://jadelinux.com/tutorials/installarcheasy.html for an ) or Antergos (which uses a GUI installation similar to Ubuntu, but also uses Arch repositories).
>>
>>51932510
Yea, in the proccess of setting up Virtualbox, gonna try out a normal Arch install and if that's too spooky I'm gonna try Architect.

Ty for the replies gentoomen
>>
>>51932441
>i just slapped Ubuntu on my laptop because I really had no time for anything and needed something that just works
OpenSUSE, dude.
A VM is probably the way to go then. Nothing will teach you about Linux like breaking the fuck out of a system and fixing it yourself by reading manpages and help() functions.
>>
>>51928694
TOPKEK
>>
>>51932421
google gpu passthrough
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
>>
>>51928589
Command line fun for noobs!

Play your vietnamese animated dramas in random order:
find MyAnime/ -name '*.mkv' -print0 | shuf -z | xargs -0 vlc
>>
Does anybody have the image of "the essencials of linux" its about the basic tools you have to install when you get linux, i saw it before in threads like this one but I havent see it in a while
>>
Does anybody have the image of "the essencials of linux" its about the basic tools you have to install when you get linux, i saw it before in threads like this one but I havent see it in a while..
>>
>>51933009
linux kernel. Everything else is optional
>>
File: a-modest-proposal.jpg (11 KB, 200x308) Image search: [Google]
a-modest-proposal.jpg
11 KB, 200x308
>>51932886
To get quantum computing we first need quantum manufacturing
>>51932660
>>51932809
Can you explain the basics?
>>
>>51931030
FSF Endorsed is not the same thing as using components of the GNU project bakka.
>>
>>51933709
Yes it is.
>>
File: goldfaceman.png (29 KB, 728x508) Image search: [Google]
goldfaceman.png
29 KB, 728x508
>>51929331
Is it retarded? Why the fuck is it so clumsy?
>>
>>51933749
Type gcc into your terminal with proprietary software installed, watch what happens.
>>
>>51931362
what numbers or letters did you use when you entered chmod
>>
File: prop.png (8 KB, 436x125) Image search: [Google]
prop.png
8 KB, 436x125
>>51933796
>>
>>51929350
>using friendly reminder
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>51933796
fatal error, obviously.
Same without proprietary software, though.
>>
>>51928589
Trying to burn a bin/cue or cue/iso with k3b on arch, I get:
Devices
-----------------------
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4247N 1.02 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM) [DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R] [%7]

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 2.0.3
KDE Version: 4.14.14
QT Version: 4.8.7
Kernel: 4.2.5-1-ARCH

Used versions
-----------------------
cdrdao: 1.2.3

cdrdao command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/cdrdao write --device /dev/sr0 --driver generic-mmc:0x00000010 --speed 10 -n -v 2 --force --remote 29 /tmp/kde-sauren/k3bvr1405.tmp.cue

as a debug file.

I'm on arch linux if that matters and have cdrdao installed.
>>
>>51933852
This is the error I get on my Debian VM. Weird that GCC actually detects proprietary software.
>>
>>51933948
It doesn't
>>
File: __.jpg (88 KB, 962x542) Image search: [Google]
__.jpg
88 KB, 962x542
I've got a 120gb ssd which I'm using as my system drive (win 7) and a 1tb in which I plan on installing Mint. How much should I reserve on the 1tb for it? Is sharing the ssd with win 7 reasonable?
>>
>>51933962
explain >>51933852
>>
>>51933948
>>51933852
>>51933872
It says fatal error because you have not selected a file. The point I was making is that it is still GNU/Linux when you have proprietary software, as GCC, a component of the GNU system, is installed.
>>
>>51933894
alright I see that my Drive is TAO, SAO and not DAO
Any burners that burn bin/cue or cue/iso with SAO or TAO?
>>
>>51933979
Freetards trying to be funny
>>
>>51933505
I have not done it myself
basically you need an internal gpu for your linux host and a gpu for the pci slot to power your windows guest
more key words you could look up are kvm and xen
you will have to read anon
>>
>>51934253
Should I just use windblows 7 for simplicity?
>>
>>51933995
# pacman -S cdrtools

cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=/dev/sr0 your-image.iso
>>
I've installed debian netinstall, and been trying out many different wm, however when I minimise a program, it just disappears. There is probably an easy way to fix this but I have no idea
>>
Should I use Openbox or it's not worth it?
>>
>>51934382
Openbox is Gold anon
>>
>>51934399

What tips would you give me for first time using openbox?

What programs I should use for fully customization of design. Because it looks shit at default. I want simple nice design. Any ideas?
>>
>>51934427
sure give me a minute
>>
>>51934370
So if it's a bin/cue just
'cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=/dev/sr0 cuehere.cue'
>>
>>51934377
Install a bar or alt tab back the window lol
>>
How complicated can my fail2ban rules get?
I want it to ban an ip with iptables if they either try to ssh with a username that doesn't exist twice in a row or if they try to ssh into root and I can't figure out how
>>
File: 1438149216980.jpg (60 KB, 709x709) Image search: [Google]
1438149216980.jpg
60 KB, 709x709
So niggers. I have Windows 10 and Antergos installed finally.

Problem is I can't get Windows 10 to show up in grub.

I can't use easybcd because I'm in UEFI mode.

What do?
>>
>>51934581
Your fault for not usin BIOS
>>
>>51934620
I can't unless I want to reinstall Win 10 which I don't have time for right now.
>>
>>51934461
What bars are commonly used?
Saw one with an arrow, do you know what that's called?
>>
>>51934427
lxappearance for theme, font etc selection
lxterminal is pretty good
tint2 http://i.imgur.com/fGuUR3O.jpg http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=cHQzN1Pk
example configshttp://pastebin.com/raw/Gmi4f9b1

you can install lxde-common lxmenu-data lxpanel lxsession lxterminal pcmanfm for the lxde desktop which uses openbox by default and have all the nice options to play with
>>
>>51934581
>Windows 10 and Antergos
I just came here to laugh at you
>>
>>51934653
So you are using LXDE + Openbox? Well okay, I will try this out.
>>
File: 1426708996279.png (380 KB, 803x903) Image search: [Google]
1426708996279.png
380 KB, 803x903
>>51934665
I need Windows for school and I just want something to just werk. I've done the whole arch thing before and I don't have time for it.

Autist.
>>
>>51934581
>Antergos
dumb

Install arch and use SystemD boot for UEFI. Make sure you're on GPT.

>>51934647
tint2 is good for a basic taskbar + clock, but has no system info. Dunno what you mean by arrow. Personally I use the bar that comes with my WM in 90% of cases, but tint on openbox
>>
>>51934698
>I need Windows for school
How's your homework going?
>>
>>51934705
>systemd
pukes.
install gentoo you /g/entoomen
>>
>>51934718
Umm? Pretty good. Im making pretty good grades so far. Going to be a junior next year. Starting to get into actually interesting classes like database design and stuff.
>>
>>51934690
scroll a little up anon, you will see it
but i use just openbox mainly because it is faster and easier for me to work with, the traditional desktop is comfy but not for me
>>
>>51934736
>implying there is a better UEFI bootloader that is easily cross compatible with windows
>>
>>51934736
>Can't handle dualboot
>Complains about systemd
KEK
>>51934744
And how old are you?
>>
File: wine.jpg (14 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
wine.jpg
14 KB, 650x366
>play old games on that have 1280x720 in wine
>exit game
>native linux display turned into 1280x720 instead of staying 1980x1080

I can always change back with display settings, but this is fucking annoying.
>>
>>51934757
I'm 19. 20 in April. I'm ahead because I dual enrolled in high school but it should even out because I'm only taking 13 credit hours because I just landed another internship at a hospital.
>>
>>51934777
Play in window
>>
>>51934698
>I need windows for...
You should speak up against this injustice
Are you getting a course on how to use windows?
>>
>>51934705
Iys like an arrow pointing to the right, has different colours, sys info on it. Often is shown in desktop threads.
But thanks anyway
>>
>>51934803
No. I could use a VM but I would rather just dual boot. Especially since I've only been using Linux for half a year.
>>
>>51934810
Ah, sounds like i3bar. You can do something similar by just using lemonbar, but it requires a lot of work.
>>
>>51934803
His course probably relies on the use of Internet Explorer. My PC Pro, AND my LinuxPro all had to be done in Internet Explorer, because TestOut has some issues with data transmission with Chrome and Firefox.
>>
Why is there an empty directory with my username in my /media directory since I upgraded to Debian jessie?
>>
>>51934829
Nah. I usually use Firefox/Palemoon.
>>
>>51934840
Oh, oh
>>
>>51934840
probably where it'll mount usb drives.
>>
File: tumblr_n5ug3dXe1R1skw6elo1_500.gif (1018 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5ug3dXe1R1skw6elo1_500.gif
1018 KB, 500x281
>>51934841
What do you need windows for?
>>
>>51934854
The usb drives are mounted in /media/usb0.
>>
>>51934841
What site do you use for your course? Because if you don't need IE or Edge, then why the fuck are you using Windows for school?
>>
>>51934878
He could need some proprietary software not available on Linux?
>>
>>51934906
Like what? If he needs Office, there are alternatives for that. Unless he's doing graphic design, or something else of that nature, then he doesn't need Windows.
>>
>>51934864
>>51934878
I honestly don't know. I haven't used anything Windows specific besides Office but I use Libre anyways.

It's just what our laptop policy said. Of course it's like 3 years old so may be outdated.

Now that I think about it I might do a full switch. I don't play gaymes or anything.
>>
>>51934827
Awesome. Thanks man
>>
>>51934949
so the school financed your laptop?
>>
>>51933968
if youre worried about space dont go for a distro like mint/ubuntu because they take up a shit ton of space with useless packages

id go with with like 20gb (which is generous) and install either debian or arch
>>
>>51934757
I don't need dual boot u retard, gentoo just works if you aren't a retard.
>>
>>51934949
1-Learn partitioning
2-Install arch from the official iso image. There can be no excuse for you to do otherwise
>>
>>51934976
No. They just have a policy. A standard minimum.

I honestly don't think it's enforced. I just transferred here and this has been my first semester so I'm not extremely familiar with the climate yet.
>>
>>51934949
Ask your instructor first before you do make the switch. And let him know if you actually know what you're doing or not. Some instructors are lenient enough if you can prove that you can still complete your assignments, regardless of the OS. Although if it's school owned, that could be a problem. Even if they did let you, you may have to reinstall Windows at the end of your course anyway.
>>
>>51935017
Bruh, just stop. He doesn't need a bleeding edge OS for a SCHOOL LAPTOP.
>>
>>51935009
EDIT: if you are a NEET
>>
>>51934926
>f he needs Office, there are alternatives for that.
Which aren't 100% compatible to Office
>>
>>51935046
you can use microsoft office if you want to.
>>
>>51935037
He's looking for antergos :^)
>>51935046
Office is 100% compatible with libre
>>
>>51935046
Oh, so you can't export your documents to an accepted format? Weird, because I can.
>>
The only reason you'd need Windows for school is if you're doing some kind of engineering where you're required to run shit like Solidworks or other CAD stuff. Office can be 100% replaced by Libreoffice because none of the Office specific features are going to matter for writing your fucking essays and powerpoints. Anything else can be run in a VM easily.
>>
>>51935046
I'm the guy that is in question. I already use Libre flawless everyday.
>>
>>51935046
Schools need to use the acceptable standard, OpenDocument Format which is ISO standard, or PDF.
>>
>>51935053
Back when I was in university, no, it wasn't

>>51935063
Sure you can. Just that it might screw up the formating once you open it with MS Word.
>>
>>51935043
You mean non retards.
>>
Lol, if you're that worried about it, you could just use OpenOffice. No worries about that, bud.
>>
>>51935115
>NEETS = non retards
Have you cleaned your basement today, anon? 30 GBPs for you if you did
>>
I miss MPC-HC +LAV + madVR.
>>
>>51934581
Use BCDEDIT command line to make Windows boot to Linux by default. Honestly the concept is hilarious.
>>
>>51935071
This.
I use freeCAD on linux and it is fine for some things but not nearly as powerful.
Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.
>>
>>51935083
Just do what I stated here >>51935024
It'd be a bone-headed idea to install loonix, then show up to class and being told to reinstall Windows
>>
>>51935176
10-4

Most likely I'll just keep the Wincucks 10 installed and use it if I need to.
>>
>>51935008
this
even installing lxde-core group on ubuntu mini.iso pulls networkmanager and gtk3 but not lxappearance or lxterminal
freakin buntus
>>
>>51928589
>suggesting MATE
>not suggesting the based xubuntu master of the ubuntu race
>>
>>51935198
You could dual boot, or you could just use a LiveUSB with persistence and use Linux for everything until you need to use Winblows.
>>
>>51935219
shut up shitty apps guy
>>
File: 1449084220313.jpg (32 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1449084220313.jpg
32 KB, 428x510
>>51935219
are you
THE SHITTY APPS GUY?
>>
>>51935242
okay...
>>
>>51935252
>>51935242
Explain.
>>
>>51935280
there is some guy that frequents /flt/ most of the time that made some really shitty software suggestion picture that everyone makes fun of. he's also a cunt.
>>
>>51935318
I told him over and over again to replace sublime-kek with gedit/geany/kate - HE JUST WON'T LISTEN
>>
>>51935318
Ah. I'm just suggesting that xubuntu is better than ubuntuMATE. MATE pisses me off desu.
>>
>>51935350
based kate master race
>>
>>51935355
Overall, I prefer MATE over XFCE because of historical reasons (MATE is a direct fork of GNOME 2, which was the standard among distros)
>>
>>51935350
and he recommends maim (which is not a standard) over fucking scrot, what a joke.
>>
File: rawr.jpg (65 KB, 960x706) Image search: [Google]
rawr.jpg
65 KB, 960x706
Free super rare OC pepe
>>
>>51935350
VIVALDI KEK
>>
>>51935318
pic? i need to see this
>>
>>51935350
he still recommends popcorn time
>>
>>51935451
is there a replacement? i kind of just forgot about it once it got shut down
>>
>>51935443
https://rbt.asia/boards/g/img/0516/80/1449233722780.jpg

I refuse to upload it.
>>
>>51935465
https://alternativeto.net/software/popcorn-time/
if you need one
>>
>>51935492
>cult based
every time
>>
>>51935492
like some of these are sensible and then...

>file managers
>dolphin,spacefm,doublecmd

like holy fuck
>>
>>51935553
He thinks Blender is video editing software.
>>
>>51935575
it can be used as such... but to categorize that way is just fucking retarded
>>
>>51935492
>>51935496
>>51935512
>>51935553
>>51935575
That's why I made wiki standards for /flt/, so I can prevent shit.
>>
>>51928589
Botnet 10 user here, want to finally make the switch to linux. I'm sick and tired of programming in windows.

I've dabbled with ubuntu in the past. I'm thinking of going archlinux+kde this time. Good idea or shit idea?
>>
What terminal emulator should I use /g/?

> inb4 terminator
No gnome deps pls

> inb4 urxvt
No copy/paste nightmare pls
>>
>>51935575
blenders video editor is actually decent. >>51935598
thanks for that familia.
>>
>>51935608
Just use urxvt
its not a copy paste nightmare, its just ctrl+alt+c/v and its the exact same as any other
>>
>>51935608
Terminator has no GNOME dependency.
>>
>>51935605
using a user centric idea without knowing exactly which programs you like and want is not a good idea. go with something more "sane". debian or opensuse are good.
>>
>>51935608
>>51935632
also i think its one of the few that actually support image previews in ranger
>>
>>51935608
xterm? I mean, what functions or settings do you want out of your terminal emulator?
>>
>>51935644
I have a pretty good idea of what I want. Basically I want a good programming environment. I don't really care about other stuff.
>>
>>51935608
terminator with "-gnome" in package.use
>>
>>51935605
if you have some time on your hands i highly suggest going with arch + WM, it will improve your workflow sooo much having tiling windows

otherwise, the only DE i can suggest is xfce4 but its still only the lesser of DE evils
>>
>>51935669
if you don't care about other why use a distro that takes this much time? i don't have a problem with arch but it doesn't really make sense for someone that just wants to work imo.
>>
>>51935713
it makes sense because you dont have a shit ton of bloat of your system and you only work with what you need
>>
>>51935671
Why the anti-DEism?

>>51935713
I want to get my hands dirty.
>>
>>51935738
Because DEs are resource intensive and usually come with lots of bloat you don't need

I recommend xfce because its the one with the least bloat and is one of the fastest and lightest you can get
>>
>>51935752
LXDE instead, it has literally no bloat.
>>
Hey senpai, been running linux mint for about 6 months now. Every time I turn on my computer, it greets me with grub, and I select my OS. Then black screen. But if I turn it off, and restart it, it boots fine. Every time. Not a huge issue, just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why this happens.
>>
>>51935752
All right, thanks. KDE is really that bad?
>>
>>51935781
KDE is literally the bloatiest of the bloat

it comes with everything and kitchen sink and so if you don't mind that, sure go for it
>>
What should I be struggling with/should be exploding? I have been running Ubuntu MATE with i3 on a Thinkpad x250 for about 7 months as my primary OS when I don't specifically have to use Windows for something (which I almost never have to, just a few school related things) and everything goes just fine.

I probably just jinxed myself.
>>
Just wanted to say that I've used Cinnamon and then XFCE and I'm just now trying out GNOME and it has to be my favorite.

Would recommend if you can handle a little bloat.
>>
>>51935800
You should be exploding everything
>>
>>51935806
This desu. I want something to break so I can learn stuff while I fix it.
>>
>>51935781
I use Plasma 5 on Funtoo, it's a really effective and well rounded DE, but it is a bit heavy. The KDE application suite is some of the finest software available on Linux though. My system is using about 2.5gb of RAM (incl. Firefox) right now, which could and would be much lighter with a different DE, but I enjoy it.
>>
>>51935726
anon we both know how long configuring user centric distros to your liking for the first time compared to minimal installs (or normal installs) of non user-centric distros takes. user centric distros are a nice for people that care about having 500 instead of 1000 packages installed and that's fine but you have to remember that there are people that use over 2000 packages and don't have a problem with this either.
>>51935738
>I want to get my hands dirty.
install gentoo (really)
>>
>>51935806
If you'e using Ubuntu you literally can't fuck anything up. If you've used any linux distro for more than a month it's pretty difficult to fuck shit up unless you do it intentionally, because by then you should realize how things get fucked up
>>
>>51935800
Quoted wrong person

meant to quote >>51935806
>>
>>51935800
All right, gonna stay far away then. Xfce it is.

Final question, is there any actual gain in performance between gentoo and arch?
>>
>>51935842
Not really. But expect productivity to drop for the first day
>>
>>51935832
He literally said he wants to get his hands dirty. Configuring Arch is simple enough to not be annoying(like gentoo can be) and at the end of the day or two you spend doing so, you have a clean minimal distro configured to your liking.
>>
>>51935842
Gentoo has the potential to outpreform Arch but getting to that point is tiresome and not really worth the benefit. Although you can do some cool shit with gentoo's packages.
>>
>>51935870
That was what I was saying here >>51935868
>>
I've posted about this before to no avail but whatever

I have a dualshock 4, and it works fine over usb and pairs perfectly over bluetooth, and is detected in programs, but input doesn't work at all.

My user is in the following groups: lp, wheel, cdrom, video, usb, users, portage, input, plugdev, games

dmesg gives the following when I connect the controller:
[ 2299.056478] sony 0005:054C:05C4.0010: unknown main item tag 0x0 [ 2299.056566] input: Wireless Controller as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:11/0005:054C:05C4.0010/input/input20 [ 2299.056957] sony 0005:054C:05C4.0010: input,hidraw7: BLUETOOTH HID v1.00 Gamepad [Wireless Controller] on 5c:f3:70:63:b9:2f

and info in bluetoothctl gives
Device AC:FD:93:33:38:21 Name: Wireless Controller Alias: Dualshock 4 Class: 0x002508 Icon: input-gaming Paired: yes Trusted: no Blocked: no Connected: yes LegacyPairing: no UUID: Human Interface Device... (00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb) UUID: PnP Information (00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb) Modalias: usb:v054Cp05C4d0100

I made sure to have the proper kernel options enabled.

What do
>>
>>51935842
The appeal of Gentoo is in its customizability, moreso than performance these days. If you want to try KDE you should try it, bloat is thrown around so much here as a pejorative that it's almost abstract and meaningless, unless you're trying to setup a netbook where it matters.

>>51935870
>Configuring Arch is simple enough to not be annoying(like gentoo can be)

They're not really very different in terms of configuration, 99% of the pain in Gentoo is related to compile times.
>>
>>51935916
Have you tried mapping your buttons?
>>
>>51935827
Meh, don't really care about application suites, so I guess I'll pass. It's really pretty though.

>>51935832
I think I'll eventually install gentoo for the experience but I'm not sure I want to have gentoo as my main distro.
>>
>>51935928
thats what i meant, having to compile every package is annoying
>>
>>51935932
If you mean in the programs, yes. They don't detect the input at all when I try to do so.
>>
>>51935947
if you don't want gentoo as your main distro why would you use arch as one? it doesn't make this much of a difference.
>>
>>51935960
it does when they fundamentally work on different principles
>>
>>51935953
Maybe you need a new driver. I've never used a playstation 4 controller on a PC before. See if you have the buttons assigned as macros or not. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try
>>
>>51935973
i'm talking about usability and stability.
>>
>>51936004
well stability isnt really an issue on either distros

but usability, arch is a lot easier to use, specifically with its package manager
>>
>>51935960
Well the reason why I'm not very keen on using gentoo is the whole having to compile everything thing.
>>
>>51935996
It should work fine according to this guide
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sony_DualShock
>>
>>51935608
>No copy/paste nightmare pls
huh
>>
>backlight on keyboard won't work on Winblows
>instlall arch and it works

Winblows BTFO.
>>
>>51936115
what fucking laptop do you own that doesnt support backlight out of the box on windows? that makes 0 sense
>>
>>51936026
I can understand that, I had the time to do the initial setup and planned out what I was going to do so it wasn't much of a hassle outside of waiting. Compiling isn't a big deal after you get xorg + your DE/WM out of the way. My setup has been amazingly stable, and I appreciate the flexibility Funtoo allows me. You should definitely try it at some point, it can give you a really thorough understanding of how your system comes together, if you pay attention to what you're doing that is.
>>
Is Funtoo so slow? I mean using emerge.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.