[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: ss.png (50 KB, 987x126) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
50 KB, 987x126
Never lose your cool edition.

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>51788384

Reposting
>>
>no drivers
>no worthwhile applications
>shittiest sound system of any OS
>WINE the only worthwhile program
>WINE only works with 1 out of 10 programs
>community of raging autistic man children
>10 utilities for any 1 task
>Each of those 10 utilities are terrible in their own unique way
>>
>>51788988
>no drivers
wot m8?
>>
Why don't we have a more interesting and humorous wiki entry? Look at how good /dpt/'s entry is.
Are Stallmanists not humorous?
>>
>>51788983
It's for servers.
What opinions are you looking for?
>>
File: bestosever.jpg (232 KB, 1528x1024) Image search: [Google]
bestosever.jpg
232 KB, 1528x1024
>>51789002
Good luck.
>>
>>51789040
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//g/wiki:Guide_to_editing_this_wiki
>>
File: hammers.jpg (57 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
hammers.jpg
57 KB, 500x485
i just wiped my entire desktop harddrive and i'm installing ubuntu
figured i might aswell go balls deep, since i have quite a bit of experience with mac command line, raspberry pi's and various servers
>>
>>51789074
>there are no drivers
>drivers composed 80% of linux kernel
Jesus Christ you are retarded.
>>
>>51788935
Why couldn't he connect to his wi-fi?
I just installed ubuntu.

I can connect to wi-fi when i boot into windows 10 but when i go into ubuntu, i connect to wi-fi, it disconnects then i cannot reconnect again.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>51789062
Well, I'm trying to decide between a few distros, because I'm searching to learn "breaking" things, but I also want a stable distro when I won't break it. So experiencies, opinions, what you have in home, etc. . .Will be great for me.
>>
>>51789128
What are your wireless drivers? Broadcom?
>>
>>51789099
You can make the kernel 99% drivers and it still won't matter if vendors don't make Linux drivers for their hardware, which they don't.
>>
*FLT: I've had a problem.

Recently I installed Crux, in the latest step in a line of distrohops. At present most everything seems to be working, but I have been unable to fix the screen resolution. This is not a kernel issue, I have compiled the kernel four different ways trying to fix it, and installed an arch linux kernel that certainly works with the right resolution. However, I am not sure how to solve it.

The traditional way it seems is with xrandr
$xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 61.00*
800x600 61.00

It should include the screen's actual size: 1280x800, as an option.

I have found a number of sources that explain an alternate way of defining a setting configuration for xrandr, but these are always tripped up by the fact that there is no clearly identified output (generally it has been LVDS-1), and possibly by the gamma issue that is suggested by xrandr's above output but I am not sure.

Has anyone any advice on how to get the screen resolution right?

*I am reposting this here because I already posted it on the old thread. Help is appreciated, and I am aware that, as per the word of God, normal distros lack this problem.

Hey. Its *nix. To the wider world we are all crazy. Lets be nice to eachother.
>>
>>51789170
>which they don't
citation needed
>>
>>51788983
debian or centOS should be great depending on your preferences.
>>
>>51789161
Realtek
>>
>>51789193
What preferences should I have on consideration?

I was messing up with and old lts debian, and a friend have centOS and say it is great.
>>
>>51789090
Sleep tight Hammers
>>
>>51789185
see
>>51789074

Those are three pieces of hardware that don't have Linux drivers. They're not something I had to go looking for either. They're just random pieces of hardware I have lying around. Not only do they not have drivers built in to the kernel, they're hardware that the vendor doesn't provide support for either.

A little effort would pull up dozens of more examples, which I don't particularly care to do.

Your OS a shit, just like you.
>>
>>51789202
Get rekt
>>
I'll be getting a Raspberry Pi 2 soon, and it supposedly comes with raspbian wheezy (based off of Linux of course). Is there anything I should know, jumping into a Linux-like OS? Anything that I could learn that would benefit me?
>>
>>51789090
nice, have fun. you sure you want to use unity? i would recommend installing all DEs, playing with them a bit and then choose. also is there any reason why you would run *buntu if you are experienced already? might as well just go with debian testing or something.
>>51789206
https://www.garron.me/en/linux/centos-vs-debian.html
>>
>>51789128
Sounds like issues with the drivers. I had a similar problem and it was a really "easy" fix. Took me hours to find the right driver but once you do you'll realize how simple it was.
>>
>>51789240
Explain?
>>
>>51789202
Good luck with that.
>>
>>51789253
What driver should I get?
>>
>>51789242
so you're getting a raspberry pi and you have no idea what to use it for?
cease breathing la, best advice you'll get
>>
>>51789272
No, I'm planning to turn it into a movie server.
>>
>>51789242
you should know how to edit text files and how to install and update stuff through a command line interface.
just put the arm build of debian on this thing.
https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/
>>51789291
learn2kodi
>>
>>51789291
What is the functioning of a movie server?
Just curious.
>>
>>51789362
storing stuff and streaming from it. it's the same as a media server.
>>
>>51789396
Why would you not want to stream it from your primary desktop hard drive?
>>
>>51789271
do lspci and look for your network adapter
you'll be looking for something similar to what i underlined in red
from there you can find it on google
>>
>>51789417
>Why would you not want to stream it from your primary desktop hard drive?
do you keep that thing on 24/7? would you let family members browse your computer?
>>
>>51789248
So, unless I want to have a pain in the ass upgrading the OS, I should go with Debian, right?

What about the SystemD thing?
>>
>>51789475
debian lets you replace it without any problem if you want to. just sudo aptitude remove systemd and it automatically installs another init system.
>>
>>51789475
Just delete SystemD and install System32 n00b
>>
>>51789504
Without no more config after removing SystemD? It would great and will make me to accept the latest stable debian version.
>>
>>51789470
>do you keep that thing on 24/7?
Do you watch movies 24/7?

>would you let family members browser your computer?
I didn't know you had a family. Most family guys don't have time to waste time on Linux. :~)
>>
Reposting in this thread.

If you had to use an RPM distro which would it be?

Why would/wouldnt you?
>>
>>51789504
Why do you have problem with systemD?
>>
>>51789574
Why would I choose a distro by it's package archive type ?
>>
>>51789074
>wireless usb adapter
desu it's built-in to kernel senpai
>razer
>using meme keyboards :^)
>>
>>51789531
why would someone need to configure an init system manually? it's not 1995 anymore anon.
https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
>>51789600
i personally don't but here's a good summary on the debate.
https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/systemd
>>
>>51789600
It's just a meme, most of systemd's hater are paranoid piece of shit.
>>
>>51789607
Is there an easy way for me to install rpm packages on different distributions?

Yes I am a pleb
>>
>>51789574
fedora seems to make the most sense
>rpm is great and specfiles make packaging a very easy job
>vanilla packages
>good security ootb

The only downside to Fedora is that repositories are quite small compared to distributions like debian, ubuntu.

Stock fedora repos are tiny and rpmfusion maintainers have problems keeping up with the release cycle.
>>
Okay imagine you have a Zip file with a depth of n with folder names 1,2,3,4....n and n contains the file. What would be the easiest way to unzip folder n? Using unzip recursively? Bash?
>>
>>51789248
i chose ubuntu because it seemed like theres a lot of help to find on google if i encounter issues, and i dont like that debian often has outdated packages. im probably going to use i3 wm
>>
>>51789099
>>drivers composed 80% of linux kernel
Linux kernel is bloated.
>>
>>51789650
Use GUI, edgelord.
>>
>>51789637
Maybe using Alien. But it's better to make yourself a package with the software sources instead of converting.
>>
>>51789664
debian testing is really recent compared to *buntu. also the technical documentation on debian is better. (even if most of the stuff works on both)
just go with debian from the start and ask here or in the irc if you need help that you can't find somewhere else. also please stop using the google search engine. searx.me and startpage are awesome.
>>
>>51789646
>>51789702

Thankyou both for the replies
>>
>>51789600
Its trying to take over the entire system and be one monolithic clusterfuck.If something breaks you have 3+ places to look and see if that broke.Before with rc you literally had one place to look for config and see whats up.You also had individual proccessing not systemctl managing all your services,and fucking up cron.

Its just a broke system and it will be abandoned like all of potterings projects when he gets tired of supporting it when it gets hard
>>
>>51789692
Using a GUI when n = 1000? I want to see that.

Classic fail.
>>
>>51789737
What shit can you cook to do damage and break things at kernel level?
>>
>>51789650
Probably some bash... recursively using unzip.

If there are like 30000 zip files nested in each other, bash is the only hope.
>>
>>51789771
>n=1000
dude, tell me a real world scenario where this actually happens.
>>
>>51789781
Look at pulseaudio clusterfuck.
It was supposed to he revolutionary
AAAAAANNNDD
Its a steaming pile of shit

systemd requires polkit and udev.And it is making those two REQUIRE systemd to work.
Nah
>>
>>51789737
First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.
>>
>>51789808
When I have a large collection of programs that are all packaged in a standard format.
>>
>>51789808
Why not? You can nest arbitrarily huge numbers of zip files in each other and especially for Windows users, there is no way to recursively unzip 500k Zip files using the GUI.

Even if there would be no real application, it's still a valid question: Is there a way to recursively unzip nested zip files in Linux?
>>
For development in C, do I install Ganoo in a VM, dualboot with Windows 7 or what? Also, which distro? I don't want to Gentoo anymore, because I'm lazy to setup it.
>>
>>51789886
Maybe make a script for it?
>>
>>51789843
Hi Lennart

You're shit still fucked everything up
>>
>>51789897
debian just werkz.
>>
>>51789920
VM or dual boot?
>>
>>51789886
I am thinking about it. Perhaps you could just have a shell script that would unzip the file, then scan for things ending in .zip, unzip them, and scan again.

I do not know of a program to do this, but I doubt it would be difficult.
>>
>>51789916
>You're
really nigga?
>>
pls guys
custom shortcuts don't work in 17.3
Can't make Ctrl+Shift+Esc launch gnome-system-monitor, can't make Ctrl+up/down control volume etc.
How do I manually add those in Cinnamon?
>>
>>51789843
I'm going to include this in copypasta in the wikii.
>>
>>51789926
dual-boot is more practical imo. remember to change the sources.list to your liking.
>>
>>51789949
>he fell for the cinnamon meme
>>
File: 1448557544401.jpg (337 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
1448557544401.jpg
337 KB, 806x938
Daily reminder that it's not GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51789951
gtfo galactus
>>
>>51789969
daily reminder that posting pictures of fake comments is cancerous.
>>
>he doesnt use runit
seriously, openRC is for USEflag addicted anarchists, systemd is for red hat enablers and sysV is for grandpas.

get with the times
>>
>>51790081
seriously considering this, how is it? what does it do better than the rest?
>>
is there a rolling distro thats not using beta but just new "stable" packages , also working with nvidia blob drivers? I mean that will not require me to reinstall them every kernel update or something.
>>
File: ubuntu-mate-logo.png (10 KB, 157x173) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-mate-logo.png
10 KB, 157x173
Question: I am fully aware that vanilla Ubuntu has spyware in it, and that not using unity is the solution. Does this mean that if I do a minimal install of ubuntu and use Mate as my DE, will I not have any of the spyware / security issues of using vanilla unity ubuntu? Would it be the same outcome if I just installed from the ubuntu mate iso?
>>
>>51790123
arch
>>
>>51790119
It works and nothing else.

>>51790123
Gentoo

>>51790130
Just use Mint if you want an Ubuntu-like distro.
>>
>>51790119
http://smarden.org/runit/

its basicly sysV init but maintained and modern.
It lacks fancy unit files but it doesnt replace everything and features sane logging.
Making new services is dead simple though
>>
File: 1449443371432.jpg (100 KB, 400x580) Image search: [Google]
1449443371432.jpg
100 KB, 400x580
Question: I just installed Ubuntu Gnome 15.10. I need Java JDK in order to use Netbeans 8.1. Should I use openjdk or Java Oracle?
>>
>>51790136
is architect-linux an ok installer ?
>>51790171
my i5 box heater + forever combilyng meme is a bad match , tried it
>>
>>51790215
>is architect-linux an ok installer ?
The best.
>>
>>51790215
There is no need for an installer
>>
File: 12523933474.jpg (25 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
12523933474.jpg
25 KB, 400x267
>>51788935
Is there an alternative file manager that's good with xfce? Thunar is nice and stable but it's very slow after using explorer.exe + qttabbar for so long.

Basically Thunar with mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts.

>>51790081
sup fellow runitfag

>>51790130
buntu mate is fine, if you like mate m8
>>
>>51790239
i tried arch after ubuntu went to unity , and it was ok but i was babby and couldnt handle the usb automount/permissions so dropped it , later i couldnt make nvidia drivers work (it was something stupid like 1 package was not added to dependencies in pacman and xorg failed), and now i just dont have time to set it up from scratch so i will go with architect i think
>>
>>51789817
>Look at pulseaudio clusterfuck.
>It was supposed to he revolutionary
>AAAAAANNNDD
>Its a steaming pile of shit
Daily reminder that "le pulseaudio is bad" meem comes from the fact that ubuntu (the most popular distro atm) adopted pulseaudio in an early stage of development.

Literally same thing happened to systemd.

And I'm willing to bet edgy contrarians will complain when wayland finally replaces xorg

Stop breathing.
>>
>>51789074
Lol, I have that exact NetGear USB Network Adapter. I plug it in and it just werks. You must be doing something wrong.
>>
>>51790309
You must have been full retard,because i cant see how any of that happens. nvidia group pulls in everything you need.And udisks and udev are fine for usb automounting.Just label it or uuid it and gg.

>>51790350
Pulse is a piece of shit.Have you ever tried to configure it beyond stock settings?
Its a fucking nightmare,to get pulse,to function,with,its,own,config.Good luck trying to make your audio sound good.It fucks up with speex,i mean srsly?
>>
Is it easier to install Linux in GPT/UEFI or MBR/BIOS?
>>
>>51789128
could be anything
the guy had problems with pc gayming
i mean look around, every 9 year old and your son is doing that shit
even if you don't ever leave your house or /g/ you can see every insufferable little cunt here is either an apple hipster or a child who looks at gayming as a religion and full time job
>>
>>51790424
right now probably uefi.
I have lots of problems trying to boot an installer in bios
>>
>>51790436
>hipster
sorry meant "creatively poor faggot"
>>
>>51790350
it didnt do shit because audio is still a nightmare.
Until it works on the level windows does its not good enough
>>
>>51790408
i really followed the wiki , it hanged on startx , and i dont feel that i have to justify to anons on the internet about it. It just didn't werk on my machine :^)
>>
>>51790424
no difference in an automated installer that does both
uefi is harder if you're setting things up manually
>>
>>51790469
Just use fucking architect.
>>
File: 1428535056432.jpg (224 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1428535056432.jpg
224 KB, 1680x1050
>>51790458
>Until it works on the level windows does its not good enough

>install OS
>audio works right ootb
The "good enough" era is today m80
>>
>>51790469
>my machine
You mean you're incompetent and cant follow basic instructions.
Did you modprobe nvidia before you startx'd?
Cause if you didnt the module isnt loaded and you're a fucking retard
>>
Whats a good program for taking screenshots and auto uploading them, like sharex on windows? https://getsharex.com/
>>
>>Recommended for beginners:
>-Ubuntu MATE
>-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
>-openSUSE
>-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)
There are plenty of FSF endorsed distros like Trisquel which are beginner friendly. Why would you recommend ones that don't have the endorsement? What's the point of using Linux if you don't want to be liberated?
>>
>>51788988
Oculus used to have drivers x linux until suckerverga bought it
>>
>>51790668
FSF-endorsed distros a shit, they have little support and little-to-zero community.
>>
>>51790698
>convenience over liberty
Fuck off, shill
>>
which debain should i install for desktop use? i dont want packages from hundred years ago
>>
>>51790668
Debian is already free (they deblobbed the kernel, they put the blobs in a separate repo, what else can you expect?), the FSF won't endorse it because they have strict -rather insane- requirements.
>>
>>51790729
testing
>>
>>51790711
> Ideology over technology.

Fuck off cancer.
>>
So i have a 120 gb SSD, a 2TB HDD and a 1TB HDD

how do i go about partitioning so i boot off of the ssd, but install programs and have my home folder on my 1tb hdd?
>>
>>51790458
>Until it works on the level windows does its not good enough
>tfw dual-booting windows 10 and debian and sound works better on debian because windows a shit
>>
>>51790966
If you're on winshit.
Go to the folder you want to move properties location
move it to platter
>>
>>51790643
shutter
>>
>>51790966
Would be a pain in the ass than plain / and /home together desu.
>>
>>51791014
>>51790984
this shit sounds complicated
i might just fuck my ssd, its not that great anways
>>
>>51790698
>they have little support and little-to-zero community.
I found the Trisquel community to be both larger than I expected, and more knowledgeable than places like the Ubuntu forums. Questions were answered in a timely manner, and frequently by the developers themselves.
>>
>>51790408
>Pulse is a piece of shit.Have you ever tried to configure it beyond stock settings?
>Its a fucking nightmare,to get pulse,to function,with,its,own,config.Good luck trying to make your audio sound good.It fucks up with speex,i mean srsly?
works for me man
>>
>>51791042
It's literally not.Its symlinking the folder to the platter drive
Its literally not even hard you fucking faggot
>>
>>51791051
you are right, the trisquel forums are a great place for support, but not if you need anything non-free.
>>
I have my lubuntu box with a DLNA service/daemon and I did a fix to use root access for my setup.

My question is, does giving root access to a service/daemon really matter? The box is always updated and barely web browses.
>>
>>51790966
why install programs on the hard drive? then what the hell is the point of your SSD? the monthly reboot?
the only programs you shouldn't put on your ssd are games.
>>
I need reasons on why shouldn't I run Lubuntu on a PC that's not old.
>>
>>51791088
do you think 120gb is enough for programs?
on windows my program files folder was like 200gb+ iirc
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-10_13-34-41.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-10_13-34-41.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Ssh is a fun.
Could I get some recommendations of neat-o things I can do with my raspberry pi?
>>
>>51790966
>how do i go about partitioning so i boot off of the ssd, but install programs and have my home folder on my 1tb hdd?
That's going to be retardedly complicated since the programs used at startup and the user applications are not different from one another and are both stored in /usr/bin.
Only a fraction of software is in /bin.
And since binary packages for most of distribution already contain their default installation directory it cannot be changed via package manager.

There is one distribution that will let you make it Gobo Linux iirc.
It has a filesystem structure similar to that of Windows.
I've never tried it tho.
>>
>>51791092
if you like a DE or WM better than another just use it.
>>
>>51791105
hack ur dads mac
>>
>>51789180
Check your xorg config.

What gpu are you using?
>>
>>51791105
>have fun
>with Raspberry Pi
Just turn it on. Coolest piece of PC you'll ever own.
>>
>>51791105
>neat-o
kill urself jackson
>>
>>51791101
I have 2400 packages and my / partition only has 17 GB of data on it.
what the hell kind of programs do you run?
>>
>>51789935
Better to use file command for the conditional check
>>
>>51791106
$ du -hs /usr/bin
355M /usr/bin
$ dpkg --list | wc -l
it literally means nothing
$ sudo du -hs /usr
7.2G /usr
$ sudo du -hs /var
8.9G /var
this means something
>>
>>51791087
why do you need root?
add the dlna user to the group that owns the folders/files
>>
>>51791106
>mfw /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin
>>
File: 1428153778532.jpg (22 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
1428153778532.jpg
22 KB, 620x620
>>51791335
I feel dumb af.
I thought there are two different directories desu
>>
>>51791388
Guess where /lib goes
>>
File: 1447798820100.jpg (125 KB, 634x607) Image search: [Google]
1447798820100.jpg
125 KB, 634x607
>>51791402
after your comment it was to be expected.
Thank god this is an anonymous imageboard and i'm not a tripnigger.

So what's the reason behind the existence of /usr/bin if we could just use /bin?
>>
>>51791426
The powers that be decided everything needs to go in /usr that the user installs or makes etc.
The /bin /lib /lib64 symlinks are for legacy support.
I changed around 2011-2012 i wanna say.
>>
>>51791441
>>51791464
thanks a lot.
turns out the what i thought /bin was supposed to do is actually handled by /sbin (or /usr/sbin to be accurate)
>>
>>51789074
This argument is at the same level of the console wars because a developer doesn't support one platform over the other.
>>
I'm starting an entry level job in cybersecurity, and have been using puppy slacko 64 5.8 on my netbook. i'll be getting a thinkpad from my job, should i stick with slackware?
>>
>>51789236
See
>>51791596
>>
>>51789236
It might not have specific manufac drivers.But about everything has native basic drivers.Minus some proprietary hardware that the has no external support beyond a blob for fireware
>>
Can I talk about mac here?
>>
>>51791712
>Can I talk about mac here?
no, it doesn't have to do anything with Linux or GNU. also stop namefagging.
>>
Out of curiosity: is there a linux distribution that tries to copy windows completely?

I don't mean
>KDE
but a linux distribution that has all of the buttons and menus and control panels in the same places, so the switch from windows to linux is literally effortless?
>>
>>51791948
The Chinese will be switching from XP to a Ubuntu based OS (forgot what it's called), and it's a 1:1 copy of the XP UI to the extent that they can do it.
Also Zorin OS tries to be friendly to people coming from Windows.
>>
>>51791753
OSX is a Linux Based OS
>>
>>51791979
no. it's based on *BSD.
>>
>>51791948
nah not really.
>>
>>51791989
Black Small Dick
>>
>>51792006
>>>/middleschool/
only because it's UNIX like doesn't mean it's the same.
>>
Whenever I try to install ubuntu it lists my network card as a WiFi connection. What do?
>>
>>51789090
Sleep tight hammers
>>
>>51792023
does it work?
>>
>does it work?
No it doesn't >>51792040
>>
File: 1438313536648.png (184 KB, 650x700) Image search: [Google]
1438313536648.png
184 KB, 650x700
>>51789969
>>
>>51789090
Sleep tight hammers
>>
>>51790231
>>51790505
wow that took long , but everthings running fine, thx guise
>>
My xubuntu freezes for a long time during boot with a ata0.5 error of some kind.

couldn't find anything relevant on google.
Should I just nuke it and reinstall?
>>
Just finished my first Arch install! Finished installing xserver what Desktop Environment would one recommend?
>>
>>51792785
>doesn't know which desktop environment he likes
>installs a user-centric distro as his first one
how does it feel to be autistic?
>>
How do I set up a global parametric equalizer on Linux?
And I mean parametric specifically.
>>
>>51792820
>Friendly Linux Thread
>>
Is there any real difference between getting Antergos and arch through Archboot?
>>
>>51792960
have you tried to google your question?
I'm willing to bet there are lots of resources that will help you
>>
>>51792843
Not him, you're right it's a friendly linux thread not
>Oh God I'm so fucking retarded please fuck my face thread
>>
File: 1448160611307.jpg (17 KB, 258x320) Image search: [Google]
1448160611307.jpg
17 KB, 258x320
>>51793049
not him wtf.. is this the linux community? no wonder nobody likes your shit linux and the shit linux community
>>
File: 1448821681260.png (871 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
1448821681260.png
871 KB, 650x4377
>>51793248
>>
>>51793248
>is this the linux community?
Yes this is the linux community speaking.
Please neck yourself

>no wonder nobody likes your shit linux and the shit linux community
You're welcome lad.
I really hope to keep normalfags out of muh secret club.
You ruin everything you touch.
>>
File: 1448769642967.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1448769642967.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>51793279
top kek m8
this convo in a nutshell
omfg i can't believe this
so this happens everytime I guess kek
>>
Anyone have a good Compton conf for an old Nvidia card? I just want the simple things, should I keep it barebones with just the backend and vsync options? Or is more tweaking I could do?
>>
>>51793530
Also what's the difference between opengl-swc and normal opengl? I looked in the documentation, couldn't find an answer
>>
File: 1448822223957.jpg (124 KB, 676x673) Image search: [Google]
1448822223957.jpg
124 KB, 676x673
>>
I just installed ubuntu mate 15.10 it werks, I just don't really like how you can't search type for programs and resize all the icons using CTRL mouse wheel
Is there any way to add those features in ?
>>
>>51793947
See if Kupfer is available in your package manager.

I'm not sure how Mate handles its icons so I wouldn't kniw where to start writing a script for ya.
>>
All I do is surf the web and write scripts on python. Which distro is good for me? Wouldn't mind ricing.
>>
Is Xubuntu 15.10 stable enough for general use yet?
>>
>>51794161
>kupfer
thank you!
>>
>>51789673
>better use HURD
>>
>>51790350
>>51790408
>>51791053
Pulse literally doesn't even recognize my mic
>>
I need some suggestions for terminal emulators.

I'm using xfce4-terminal but I suspect it's to blame for strange behavior I've had recently with neovim including completely locking up randomly.

I've tried lxterm/uxterm but it doesn't seem to have customization options (muh transparency), ROXTerm which has the same random locking up issue and also isn't that pretty, xterm (lol)

I'm going to try out Konsole right now, but I want to know what all those hipsters in the desktop threads are using and if they're as functional as they are stylish with their lack of borders and ability to customize everything with transparency and dropshadows dowant pls help feet hurt no gf
>>
>>51795205
Konsole for ease of use and customization, or urxvt (rxvt-unicode is usually the package name) for pure customization. It's what the desktop thread hipsters use.
>>
>>51795205
Terminator
>>
>>51795205
urxvt
Don't install KDE shit unless you want to pull 100 dependencies just to run a terminal.
>>
>>51795205
>>I'm using xfce4-terminal but I suspect it's to blame for strange behavior I've had recently with neovim including completely locking up randomly.
Seriously? How long has xfce4-terminal been around and how long has neovim been around? Neovim is very new, I'd put my money on it being the problem, even if the problem exists with certain terminal emulators and not others (an editor shouldn't dictate which terminal is needed).

That said, urxvt.
>>
>>51795237
Meh, I already did that to install konqueror

>>51795225
Going with this

thanks senpai one love desu-wa~
>>
>>51795225
Not >>51795205
I just installed terminator and any time I type in a command that doesn't exist I get
terminate called after throwing an instacne of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc
Aborted (cope dumped)

Seriously?
>>
>>51795514
Why are you typing in commands that don't exist
>>
>>51795538
typos?
>>
So I just wiped my disk and i'm installing Mint.
Why do the language packs take so long to download? Or is it just me?
Also, what should I do when it finishes installing? I mean it in a "I just installed Mint, what do now" fashion.
>>
>>51795667
>Also, what should I do when it finishes installing?
Use it like you would any other computer.
>>
What do you guys recommend I use to get my into linux before moving onto arch?
>>
any arch users ITT?
is your shit broken yet?
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/phoronix/latest-phoronix-articles/839234-arch-linux-switches-to-the-new-c-abi
>>
>>51795708
Please re-read the last sentence.
What are good things to do or install with the SO that make it better/faster/more usable/prettier/etc? My intention with this laptop is to learn to code btw. Starting with python.
>>
>>51795750
wrong link...
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Arch-Linux-Now-GCC5-ABI

>>51795734
arch isn't the thing elites use, m8. it's the thing retards who see themselves as leet hackers use.
>>
>>51795750
Most of my packages have updated today and nothing broke.
>>
>>51795734
Debian or if you need to Ubuntu
>>
>>51795761
What do you recommend I use then?
>>
>>51795734
>before moving onto arch?
arch isn't the ultimate target. It has a use case and certainly isn't for every one and isn't the best.
>>
>>51795756
Uninstall Mint and get literally any other distro that isn't Ubuntu
>>
>>51795756
>Please re-read the last sentence.
I read your sentance fine the first time. Reread my reply.
Mint is fine and pretty by default, that's kind of the whole point. Just use it. You don't need a pretty theme to learn to code.
>>
>>51795761
>Arch user here
I just see myself as someone who enjoys having a minimal and highly configurable system, that also happens to have my preferred package manager, and a fantastic repository (if you include the AUR)
>>
>>51795734
>meme victim detected
>>
>>51795802
Why is that, and what would you recommend? I'm a beginner, btw, this is my first GNU/Linux install.
>>51795806
Got it, thanks for the reply. I will play with it for a while.
>>
>have Fedora on my laptop
>stuff breaks now and then because muh bleeding edge
>one day it's some virtualbox kmod fuckup because that shits in rpmfusion and they were behind time when Fedora rolled out the next kernel, the next it's right-clicking doing nothing in Thunar and Firefox, a bunch of little things
>want to leave Fedora because I want stuff to just werk, don't care about being that bleeding edge
>don't want to be as old as Debian stable though, they have an ancient version of NetworkManager that can't load .ovpn files, among other things
>do very much want to stick with Xfce

what distro do I want?
>>
>>51795912
Debian testing
>>
>>51795912
xubunty
>>
Trying to install Debian on an old macbook, and the boot hangs at "fb: switching to radeonrmfb from simple"
How do I fix this?
>>
>>51795964
I should note that the installation ISO boots fine, it's after installing that I get this error
>>
>>51795964
looks like it crashes while trying to change the framebuffer mode
more than that I do not know
>>
Ok, first day on xubuntu and it's pretty good so far, except for the "ahaha retarded winfag, here we made the interface just for a winfag like you, don't u like big icons and useless menus, now enter a password every time you do anything, a winfag retard can't be trusted with installing software" aspect.

I think I'll try something less entry level next time.
>>
>>51796432
try antergos or manjaro, they're both basically just simple installers of arch, though manjaro does delay official packages a bit for further testing, if you're afraid of being too far on the bleeding edge, there's also an option in antergos for an lts kernel and with aur, virtually every piece of software that will run on linux is available to you
>>
>>51796432
Just stick to xubuntu. Swap out the huge menus for more traditional components. You can't get around password checks, and you shouldn't.
>>
>>51796432
>now enter a password every time you do anything, a winfag retard can't be trusted with installing software
that's not going to change no matter which distro you use.
>>
>>51796514
>You can't get around password checks
>what is visudo
>what is polkit
>>
>>51796622
the password thin is not so bad once you get used to it and realize that everything that needs the password can potentially break the system
>>
>>51796670
I know, it's not me complaining about it.
>>
>>51788935

Which would be better thinking of installing ubuntu on a netbook, i3 or lxde? Can't decide.
>>
>>51796670
>installing minesweeper can break the system
Linux, everyone.
>>
>>51796675
I know, I just quoted you cause I was too lazy to scroll down and hit the reply to thread button

>>51796686
yes it can break the system, if it's not really minesweeper or you didn't get it from a trusted source. I'll bet you're one of those clowns that on windows has uac turned all the way down. my hands are on the keyboard whenever I'm opening something that needs a password anyway so it only takes like a sec to go ahead and type in the password
>>
File: get-out.jpg (22 KB, 194x198) Image search: [Google]
get-out.jpg
22 KB, 194x198
>>51796686
>>
>>51796659
>what is polkit
a buggy pile of security risk crap
>>
>>51796708
don't be too harsh on him bruh, I think at one time or another all of us who came over from windows had that reaction, give him time and rape sloth will whisper in his ear "shh, just let it happen"
>>
How do you get the current workspace indicator under XFCE?
>>
>>51796686
Are you really too stupid to understand what you just wrote?
>>
>>51795734
use arch to understand how everything works, in terms of productivity its not the best.
>>
>>51796750
the panel plugin is called Workspace Switcher
>>
For a long time I've been experiencing issue with mpv. Basically there is no sound after suspend. If I open a movie in some other player sound comes back and I can open it in mpv. Anyone knows what the fuck is this? Pulseaudio/alsa fuckups or mpv?
Xubuntu 14.04 on a thinkpad x61.
>>
>>51796706
What's wrong with turning it down? I've had it turned all the way down, the firewall and windows update disabled on the same Win7 install for over three years and it still werks and I never even had a virus or anything.

How can a password prevent me from installing something that I am not aware is malicious? And if I am aware it's malicious, why would I want to install it in the first place?
>>
>>51796802
what stops you from installing malicious content on linux is a combo of password, and you either get your shit from trusted repos or you go to the trouble of building it yourself.

>turning off uac
what is a silent installer

see the overall point is to make you aware of the fact that a program is going to install or make system changes, so you can either click sure/enter password or go wtf I didn't open an installer, so that sound file I just opened is probably infected
>>
>>51796802
It's not about you installing something malicious, it is about anyone who has physical or other access to your computer being able to install anything they like.
>>
>>51796849
>silent installer
What is knowing the difference between a sound file and a binary.
I've seen countless silent installers pretending to be other files. They're extremely easy to spot.
>readme.exe
>big_tit_gangbang.lnk
>fallout4_keygen.rar.exe
Yeah, so sneaky.

>>51796877
Like, over the network? Since I'm the only one with physical access to my PC, that seems like the only concern, albeit big one.
Isn't there a way to solve that specific issue and disable passwords for physical access?
>>
>>51796945
just go back to windows mang, you're not yet at the point where you'll be satisfied with linux
>>
>>51796945
If you're so confident about running with all the locks off then just use a root graphical session.
>>
>>51796945
Yes over the network but also physically. I find it hard to believe you're the only one with physical access. Look up suduers if you really want to disable password restrictions but you would be very foolish to, it is like that for a very good reason.

From what you wrote above what I am replying to you sound like very misguided and incredibly ignorant.
>>
>How do I do X on Linux?
>You shouldn't do X on Linux
Every time.

>>51796997
>I find it hard to believe you're the only one with physical access
Is it beyond your imagination to consider that some people might not be living with their parents?

At least I got an answer after five posts of condescending dismissal, albeit also a condescending and dismissive one.
>>
>>51797080
>Is it beyond your imagination to consider that some people might not be living with their parents?
No, it's hard to believe you have no social life whatsoever.

I gave you encouragement and instruction on how to do what you want to do, if you want to act like a cunt about it then carry on.
>>
>>51797119
>No, it's hard to believe you have no social life whatsoever.
>posting on /g/
>>
>>51797166
>posting on /g/ with no social like whatsoever
>using windows with a windows mindset
yeah nope
>>
>>51788935
I don't know if I should ask this here or in /sqt/ but it's Linux related so might as well.

What's the best distro for a home server? I have a laptop collecting dust and I wanna use it as a general storage/media server. I've used linux before but nothing server related.

As for Media management, what's the better choice? Plex or Kodi?

Please and Thanks.
>>
>>51797198
>plex or kodi
depends mainly on if you have a large library or if you do a lot of streaming, also the two can work together.
>>
>>51796782
How do you get "Workspace Switcher" to highlight the workspace you are currently working in?
>>
>>51797119
Do you bring your PC to parties or something?
Or is your life so sad that your social life involves personal computers?

Anyway, if I wanted an answer, I would have just googled for it. What I was looking for was valid opinions on why I should or should not do it, which you failed to provide.

As I see it, Linux makes lots of unfounded assumptions about your personal life and usage of your PC and it seems the Linux community does so too.
>>
>>51797245
like I already said dude, you don't have the mindset to appreciate linux so stop bitching about why can't linux be like windows and just use windows
>>
>>51797245
>What I was looking for was valid opinions on why I should or should not do it, which you failed to provide.
Which you could have used google for as well, this is, after all, one of the most documented aspects of linux.

>As I see it, Linux makes lots of unfounded assumptions about your personal life and usage of your PC and it seems the Linux community does so too.
Cool, go cry about it some more.
>>
>install Fedora on new laptop
>set up a few programs I plan on using
>have no idea what to do next
>>
>>51797277
Does the fact that you can disable that feature also make Linux more like Windows, or are you just a retard trying to mouth off? I say it's the latter.

>>51797280
I'm sorry for hurting your feelings. Make a better case next time, and I might deem your opinions worth considering.

Is always the case that a Linux user will get butthurt at another person for deciding not to use a certain Linux feature?
>>
>>51797322
wtf asshat, I'm just saying you obviously don't like linux, so don't fucking use it, there, problem solved
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.