[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rx 480 with new PC - to buy or not to buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
Dear /g/.

I made separate thread, because I dont think it would fit /sqt/. Its about advice on my future new PC build.

I plan to buy new PC in around two weeks. I was actually planning to buy it since last 6 months - Im using same machine since 6 years, with only once replaced GPU - from GTX 460 to 660. At first, I planned to get it at spring, with GTX 960, bur heard about new cards incoming, so decided to wait. Im not fan of spending too much money on GPU and always pick "mid" cards, thus x60 line so far.

I decided to get RX 480 in the end, but Im little confused right now, especially since my local shops pumped prices too high - 1350 PLN and only 8gb versions in offer - thats 300 EUR. At the same time, if I would import from US, including taxes and transport cost, it would be ~1200 for 8gb. At the same time, prices of GTX 970 are exactly the same - 1350 dropped from ~1500 PLN. The choice is - new card from AMD or old card from Nvidia? One have potential for getting better, another not at all. What should I do?

As for other parts, I was planning to get i7-6700K, Gigabyte GA-Z170 HD3P motherboard, Corsair CX650M PSU, single 16gb DDR4 RAM and Cryorig M9I cooling for CPU - cant pick up any case, since all recommended from Logical Increments are not available at my local shops, save maybe for Thermaltake V3 (Im living in Poland).

Upper limit is 4000 PLN, more or less 880 EUR.

Could you help me out, /g/?

Thank you for any advice or help.
>>
Wait for custom PCB ones, they'll fix the current problem going on with the 480. I recommend sapphire or powercolor pcs+ (if they release one), and get 2x8gb ddr4 sticks
>>
File: notitle.jpg (104 KB, 708x672) Image search: [Google]
notitle.jpg
104 KB, 708x672
>>55361619

Actually, 2x8gb is for some reason slightly more expensive. But does it affect performance, to have few sticks than one big?

>Wait for custom PCB ones

How long should I wait? I mean, Im not getting this PC right now, like I said - somewhere in like two weeks.

I rarely buy GPUs, could you explain, how should I tell apart custom from other ones? I thought that this one on pic attached is kinda okay. But there will be other versions?

Im sorry for asking such questions.
>>
File: images-6.jpg (17 KB, 467x315) Image search: [Google]
images-6.jpg
17 KB, 467x315
>>55361727
>does it affect performance
Dual channel is around 3-5% better, and if one stick fails, you can still use the PC

>How long should I wait?
Around 2 weeks

>how should I tell apart custom from other ones?
That one in your picture is a reference design, they all look the same, no matter the manufacturer. Custom ones are designed by sapphire or gigabyte for example, they have different fans, boards, heatsinks, etc.
Pic is the sapphire RX 480
>>
>>55361888

>Around 2 weeks

Oh, thats okay I guess, I was going to wait those two weeks anyway.

>Custom ones are designed by sapphire or gigabyte for example

Is Sapphire in general good quality? Are there brands I should avoid?

Also, do you think that RX480 is good option for me? I mean, it surely will be better than current GTX 660, but I dont have high hopes for 1060, in price for sure.
>>
>>55361888
Your picture is the Sapphire RX480 Toxic and my picture is the Nitro. The Toxic will have a higher over clock the Nitro should be arounf $260 USD
>>
>>55362042
Nitro "should be" $260-$270* not the Toxic
>>
>>55361078
You're dropping at least a grand already and you aren't going to splurge on a decent gfx card? For fucks sake dude at least buy a 970.
>>
>>55361078
>RX 480
burn baby burn, burn, burn baby burn
>>
>>55361990
Sapphire is usually the best brand for AMD, gigabyte is pretty good, Asus is average for AMD but better for NVidia, powercolor pcs+ design is surprisingly good considering they're one of the cheaper brands.

If you're playing 1080p, 60 to 75 fps the 480 is the best pick atm.
>>
>>55361990
>Are there brands I should avoid?
XFX is total trash. Don't bother. Asus and Gigabyte have both had some major lemons in the past but are usually quite good. I personally go Sapphire or PowerColor exclusively. MSI and HIS are decent but not priced low enough to compete with PowerColor.
>>
>>55362076

But if on avarage 480 is better than 970 and performs much better in Dx12, is there a point o buy older card, even for the same price?

>>55362080

Im not interested in 4k resolutions, true. The best I can do is to replace monitor with 23' one, but it might not fit on my desk.

Thanks for the tip about brands, I hope they will appear sooner, tho.
>>
>>55361990
>are there brands I should avoid?

XFX. Just don't.
>>
Since it was part of main question, any advices over picking case and PSU? Also, are there any real differences between Asus Z170-K, -M and -A motherboards and Gigabyte ones?
>>
>>55363996
M usually identifies mATX boards, K is for mid range boards, A is for higher end boards, usually with better phasing and build quality. That is for Asus, don't know about gigabyte.

About the power supply, get an evga g2 650w if you can, price is good, quality is great and it's more than enough for your build.
>>
>>55364284
Thing is, evga are kinda expensive in my case, thats why I was aiming for Corsair. But thanks.

By the way, both Asus and Gigabyte mobos have something called auto/smart boost, aka auto OC. How viable is that?
>>
File: 361pNaI.png (973 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
361pNaI.png
973 KB, 3000x3000
>>55365526
Last time I used auto OC on Asus was 2012, it was reasonably good, but I got better results doing it by hand since I wanted to keep voltage the lowest possible, must have improved by now

Here's a PSU guide, a tier 3 is good enough but if you're going to overclock, try getting a tier 2 or 1.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.