[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are dumbbell fly's really that bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160711_081321.jpg (127 KB, 960x623) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160711_081321.jpg
127 KB, 960x623
Are dumbbell fly's really that bad
>>
I hope not they are my favorite

I do them everyday
>>
bad for what? they're good for chest isolation, but it's still just an assistance exercise.
>>
>>37883789
I saw on one of these threads that fly's can really fuck your shoulders up and make you snap some shit
>>
>>37883804
if you do shit wrong you can always fuck something up, but I don't see why flys would be any worse than other exercises.
>>
>>37883804

I don't do them because I always work out alone but I'd say they aren't really bad if you do it the right way

always keep your elbows near to your body so the shoulders don't get fucked up. basically the same shit as with bench pressing

I remember seeing some youtube video (I think it was athlean x) where the bells were positioned hammer style so the elbows were really close to the body. seemed like a great chest workout
>>
File: 1467320992768.jpg (148 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467320992768.jpg
148 KB, 1920x1080
>>37883776
you're better off doing barbell flies if you want deflated football pecs
>>
>>37883776
it puts the chest in an overstretched position which can lead to microcuts and then to complete chest tear
>>
They're only bad for you if you let you arms go past horizontal. To prevent that you can just do them on the floor and you'll be fine.
>>
>>37883776

Not if you do them lying on the ground.
>>
They're not bad if you eliminate them from every routin you have

Yes bad
>>
>>37883776
yes

>1. it's a anormal position for your shoulders. obviously you'll have very rare scenario where your shoulders, not your torso, not your hips, are responsible for bearing the load through out the moment. for that very same reason, if you look at the anatomy of the shoulder, you'll see there's no structured properly made to *bear* weight in that position: 1 the rotator cuff has *no* support from behind; 2 the scapula, the utterrmost bone, hangs by a little corner on the clavicule, which is a long bone positioned ortogonally; so none of these are properly engaged to support weight ortogonally.

> 2. it puts your pecs in overstretched position; bear in mind that pecs are mainly arms abductors, and rarely you'll need to actually expand your pecs that much to then contract it (abducting your arms); so there's too little fixation on your sternum in order to you continuously overload it. of course, this will take sometime until you load it too much, but you never know when it is too much until it is too late.
>>
>>37883833
>deflated football pecs
Like Arnold's, right?
>>
>>37883776
Not as good as barbell flyes.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>>37886217
i had scooby in mind
>>
>>37883776
They're fuckin awesome. Works pecs more directly than bench press, and gives a deep stretch at the bottom. I forget what it's called, but there's some evidence of better growth from contraction out of a full stretch. Just be very careful and modest about the weight you use. No matter how strong you are, if it's your first time with these, start at 20s and go up from there. Unless you're really new to lifting, then maybe start lighter
>>
>>37886265
He said chest flies are crucial and that's good enough for me.
>>
>>37883804
They are bad for your shoulders. Do crossovers or machine flyer
>>
>>37883776
Just do them on the floor dumbass.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.