[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any difference between dumbell and barbell ohp? barbell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: OHP.png (146 KB, 850x506) Image search: [Google]
OHP.png
146 KB, 850x506
is there any difference between dumbell and barbell ohp? barbell hurts my shoulders for some reason and i can lift more doing dumbells
>>
>BB OHP hurts shoulders
That's because you're flaring your elbows or have shitty muscle balance, OP
>>
>>37731311
lat raises hurt them too, ive seen a bunch of form vids on both so i think im doing it ok
>>
>>37731311
or he could have a hooked acromion. ohp isn't for everyone. joe defranco doesn't do them.
>>
File: How-to-Bench-graphic-3-1.jpg (57 KB, 800x920) Image search: [Google]
How-to-Bench-graphic-3-1.jpg
57 KB, 800x920
Yes. Triceps can impart lateral force on the bar to assist deltoids in shoulder flexion. Therefore you will be able to lift more weight (assuming healthy joints).
>>
>>37731330
Post a vid of your form. I've seen so many people complain about shit and saying no brah my form is on point brah, then you see their form and they're shitting all over the fucking place.
>>
>>37731295
If it's hurting your shoulders you most likely either have shitty form, or you have bad shoulder flexibility which is contributing to shitty form.

Best way to tell if it's (b) is to get a ruler, stand as straight as possible, and place the edge of the ruler vertically against your cheekbone. If there's a vertical line made by the ruler between your cheekbone and your collarbone (use a mirror or ask someone) your shoulders are in good shape. If not, you need to work on mobility and on consciously correcting your posture.

As a general note: barbell is ways better as it helps balance the movement across the whole body, and it's much easier to judge the correct ROM than with dumbells. Dumbells do have a place, but a lot of faggots swear by them for no other reason than they're too lazy to learn good bb technique.
>>
any difference between sitting and standing ohp then? sitting feels easier on my shoulders and no one at my gym ever does standing
>>
>>37732729

standing is much harder than sitting. you need to actively focus on balance, flex glutes, core and quads to remain stable. i get a tiny bit sore in all these areas on a volume ohp day.
>>
>>37732729
If you're sitting, it isn't a true OHP.

OHP is a full body exercise. Even though your legs aren't directly involved, they're doing a lot of isometric work (as are your abs and your lats) to keep the rest of your body in balance as you push the weight up.

Sitting removes the bulk of that balancing requirement from the lower and upper body and thus robs you of some supplementary gains in those areas.

The reason it probably taxes your shoulders less is because you're using the physical cue of the upright bench to keep your back fully erect and therefore your shoulders 'back' in the position where they should be to perform the movement properly.
>>
>>37732729

and if no one ever does it it's probably indicative of the exercise being hard to perform (but excellent for development) or retarded. guess which one ohp falls into. It's the same thing in most gyms I think. Everyone goes for alternative bars, or seated, or smith, or dumbbells, or everything combined.
>>
>>37732807
it's fucking retarded
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.