[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/STG/ strength training general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10
File: images-1.jpg (7 KB, 310x163) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
7 KB, 310x163
Dedicated to those who aren't married to one style of lifting i.e. powerlifting, oly lifting, bodybuilding and strongman. appreciating all forms of working out and fitness.

Programming should include (but not limited to)
big 4 lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, press)
explosive movements (plyos, olympic lifts brbll or dumbell)
conditioning
another physical activity (ex baseball, tennis)

Helpful material:

>http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler108.htm

>https://www.t-nation.com/training/10-things-every-lifter-should-be-able-to-do

>http://www.strongfirst.com/blog/
>>
>>36671611
In for /stg/ please stay. This board needs a thread like this.
>>
>>36671650
second this
>>
>>36671611
>programming should include
>no upper body pulling
GTFO with your stupid bench
>>
BENCH FTW
>>
File: clarence fs.webm (693 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
clarence fs.webm
693 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>36672645
come on lads
lets get some ss questions going
>>
>>36672663

There's /routine general/ for that.

/stg/ never took off because it wasn't really useful.
>>
>>36672645
P A P A F R A N K U
A
P
A

F
R
A
N
K
U
>>
>>36672679
routine =/= discuss general strength. alot of those are powerlifting/bodybuilding
>>
>>36672645
clarence0 is such a beast.
>>
>>36672645
Why is Harry Potter's front squat stance so wide? Does it look wider than his back squat and catch position?
>>
>>36671611
>training for strength
>program should include bench
okay buddy
>>
>>36674067
You're still going to a need a metric to judge tricep/pec strength, what better than the bench?
>>
>>36674100
There's nothing wrong with bench but it has poor crossover into sports and functional strength in general. If all you care about is functional strength, you're better off removing bench and increasing the frequency of OHP and weighted dips.
>>
How long do gains generally last on TM? How long until /STG/ started stalling, for those who did TM?
>>
Newfag to lifting here, but i've been browsing /fit/ for a while now.

I just got back from signing up for the local YMCA and I wanted to make sure my plan is alright/see if I should add anything to it. I'm pretty much planning to follow the basic ss framework but it seems pretty small compared to what alot of people post on here.

xaxbxab

For the first month a and b will both be
>3x5 bench
>3x5 squat
>3x5 deadlift

Then after that

>3x5 bench
>3x5 squat
>3x5 power clean

Is this really what I should be doing? I want to make sure I'm not doing some sort of retarded program that I won't benefit from.

Sorry if this isn't a good thread to post in but I didn't want to make my own for it.
>>
>>36674385
Since your routine is so close to the normal SS, I would just suggest to do SS. In the beginning everything might seem easy and quick, but after a while (when shit gets heavier) you'll know why SS is only 3 days. You simply can't handle going heavy 4 days, especially squatting two days in a row.
>>
>>36674385
Also, make sure you really get the form down on powercleans. Ask a coach if you can. If you can't, film yourself every time and ask /owg/ for a formcheck.
>>
>>36674611
So I shouldn't add anything to it then?

What about cardio? I know people say it's a meme/kills gains/whatever but is it worth doing?

>>36674621
Alright, ss doesn't say to start them for like a month though so I have plenty of time to learn it.

Also, how do I know what weight to put on the bars? I've never even been inside a gym until today and I have no idea how much to attempt. I'm 6'0" 160 lbs and next to no muscle.
>>
>>36674635
No, just do regular ol' SS.
'Cardio kills le gains xd' is a stupid meme. Do cardio if you want to. Just make sure to eat more to make up for the calories you burn. Just remember to do cardio after lifting (doing it before will compromise form). You might feel more sore/stiff though, so make sure to stretch and rest well.

Ask /owg/ or check their pastebin or whatever for good powerclean form videos.

In the SS FAQ it says to start with the empty bar for 5 reps. If that feels OK, add 5 pounds, do 5 reps. Keep going until the bar starts to slow down (you're gonna notice it as well, a feeling of 'oh shit, this is kinda heavy'). That's your working weight. Do 2 more sets with that weight. Repeat with the other exercises.
Please remember that it's better to start too light than too heavy. It's not about at what weight you start, but about what weight you end up with.

Also, don't fucking do 3x5 deads. 1x5 is enough (same principle, you'll get fucked once you're at a decent weight and form is super important with deads).

You can always ask someone on /fit/ for a formcheck on your lifts.
>>
File: MVI_5365.webm (3 MB, 780x1080) Image search: [Google]
MVI_5365.webm
3 MB, 780x1080
>>36671611
I keep making some of the same mistakes with my deadlift. How do I improve?
>>
>>36674830
It looks like your hips are shooting up first. For that, see this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3EMnj-9Ky0

Also, I've always been told to try to 'fuck the bar' once it goes past your knees. What I mean is really bring your hips forward once the bar passes the knees, as seen in step 3 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhYspMFUmY
>>
>>36674804
Alright senpai, thanks a bunch.
>>
>>36674990
no probs bro, good luck
>>
>>36674830
Lacking upper back tightness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm7ZbgjZklE

Also your stance seems pretty wide? Have you tried going a bit more narrow?
>>
>>36674958
>>36675089
Thanks guys. I'm really thankful for anything that would make deadlifts not feel like my legs are going to pop out of the socket.
>>
>>36671611
Any runners here?

I'm 2 days out from the big day (a fitness test, not a marathon, but same concept) and i'm about to do my last training session.

My question is, how long before your big day do you spend recovering?
>>
>>36675292
Not a runner, but if it's a real important test I might consider not training. Then again, I don't know your training nor how your body recovers.
>>
>>36674830
Eh, you've got the basics down but your body is shaking, and it kind of looks to me as if you "don't quite know what to do with it".
Stick with that weight for a couple weeks, and really focus on learning form. Progressive overload is only the third most important factor of successful and efficient strength training, the first two are proper form and consistent sleeping/eating/training.

1) wear shoes. Any shoes. The only reason to not wear shoes is to bring your body closer to the bar by 1cm, which has only any meaning when attempting a really heavy ass 1rm. And even then, you need the support that even a cheap flat shoe like converse offers.

Just look at your footprint after you step off the bath/pool, and compare the surface area to that of the shoe. Which one would you rather be balancing yourself plus the loaded barbell on?

2) as another anon said, you lost upper back tightness almost immediately. Pinch your shoulder blades together and down, HARD. If the bar doesn't come off the floor as easily, toss away your ego and deload a bit.

Also make sure you work on those chinups for grip and upper back strength. Lat pulldowns if you're too weak to do a set of bodyweight chinups.

3) the deadlift is not a pull. It is TWO pulls.

On the first pull, you need to open up the angle of your knees and hips simultaneously. Think about two things: grip the bar hard without losing upper back tightness and leg press the ground away from you. What you did was only open up the knee angle, leaving you to have to stiff leg deadlift the barbell for the rest of the way up. This is inefficient. It's not a reason to deload because you are weaker doing that movement. Just work on form.

As for the second pull (starts when shins are completely vertical to ground), that other anon said it best: just think of fucking the barbell. Thinking of squeezing your ass also helps, because sometimes we forget to activate fully our glutes ant only work with the hamstrings and erectors
>>
>>36671611
I'm doing TKD and am having issues with my kicks being low, is this due to flexibility? If so is 10 minutes stretching after cardio 2-3 times a week outside of lessons a good start?
>>
>>36675392
My training today is just a simple shuttle run/bleep test.

Not that intense, just worried about my sore calves that i get after it and if 2 days is enough to recover them.
>>
>>36675451
If it's just sore calves, I wouldn't really worry about it. Make sure to stretch, rest, and eat. Also, if you have a foam roller, roll your calves.

>>36675419
>Is it due to flexibility?
Maybe. However, stretching after working out is never bad, so just do that. Also see if you can get your hands on a foam roller, they can help with mobility as well.
>>
>>36671611
>Programming should include (but not limited to)
>big 4 lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, press)
FUCK THIS GAY MEME
There are no "big 4"
There are the big 3 (squat bench diddly) if you're referring to PLing or the "classics" if you're referring to Oly lifting.

This expression shifts the focus of inexperienced lifters away from pulling and too much towards pushing movements.

I firmly believe that it is not broscience to train equal volumes of pulling and pushing lifts.

I also firmly believe that the chinups is the most underrated excercise in strength training. Not bodyweight amrap chinups as Rip says, not as an accessory next to curls but weighted, with progressive overload in mind and for a set amount of reps.

It is unfair and silly to put chinups next to dips as an accessory movement. The dips are there if you want to train an upper body push for a little extra volume but are too bored to actually do OHP or Bench. The chinups are the best upper body pull there is, period. And an excellent fitness level indicator, too.

Ib4 pendlay/Yates rows. They are an obstacle in my opinion for someone who wants to increase their deadlift. Fatiguing the entire posterior chain just to do a pull with a barbell instead of your bodyweight is silly and hinders your deadlift progress. Lose some weight you permabulk fat faggot.

>Upper body push
OHP, Bench
>Upper body pull, grip
Chinups, Deadlifts
>Legs
Squats, Deadlifts
>Core
Squats, deadlifts, OHP, chinups

These 5 excercises are all you need. Do more if you want, but less is a compromise.

DONT NEGLECT YOUR CHINUPS
>>
>>36675661
i agree with you, rows in general are overrated
>only half of the shoulder extension compared to vertical pulls
>scap retraction is mediocre because lats come into play
I only do high rows myself for the scap retraction. I think a oly style explosive high pull would greatly benefit weightlifters instead of the standard row.
>>
>>36675698
I know right?
Chinup pros:
>Longer ROM meaning better hypertrophy
>no way to cheat (it is very easy to subconsciously jerk a row, but you have to consciously kip a chinup)
>you should be able to do more weight in chinups despite the longer ROM resulting in even better hypertrophy (the reason is that your biceps and lats are in a more advantageous position to pull, while also not being limited by the unnatural position your stabilisers are in)
Row pros:
>it is done with a barbell, barbells are comfy
>great for ego lifting (jerking, lifting torso to reduce ROM)
>they train traps and the posterior chain (which deadlifts already do)
>>
File: pullup & chinup.png (413 KB, 1283x2086) Image search: [Google]
pullup & chinup.png
413 KB, 1283x2086
>>36675900
>>36675698

Chinups also train the traps (they have a pretty decent range of motion of scapulae retraction, depression, and downward rotation), arguably even more than rows.

There some cool stuff here if you wanna learn more about biomechanics http://fitsticky.com/lifts/
>>
>>36676018
Even better then

Rows suck

To quote Rip: "Seriously, fuck rows"
>>
File: 1440110399305.png (148 KB, 1110x277) Image search: [Google]
1440110399305.png
148 KB, 1110x277
>>36676018
>Chinups also train the traps
Ayyy this was a pun wasn't it you little rascal
>>
>>36675661
Going off the 1/2/3/4 standard, what's a good weighted pull up to aim for? Also, why chins over pullups?
>>
>>36676018
Why the fuck is a trap giving lifting advice?
>>
>>36676694
1/2/3/4 is not a good standard IMO because the proportions for the four lifts will be different for every person depending on limb length and insertions, don't take it too seriously.
Anecdotally, my stats are (for 5 reps)
1/1.8/2.6/2.75 if overhand grip, 3.25 if mixed. My chinups are at 100 kg (88 kg self and 12 kg db)
>why chinups over pull ups
Little difference in muscle activation, it's like asking why high bar over low bar squat.
Just do what feels comfier, although ideally you'd want to alternate.
Chinups allow for a tiny bit of extra weight to be used because of the bicep being in a more advantageous position to pull, so you could argue that they are "better" in that regard. But that's not the reason I do them, I do them because they are comfier. I also squat high bar instead of lowbar, despite using less weight, because it feels comfier.
>>
>>36676930
My chinups are above 100 kg because I did 3x7 at 100 kg* last time
Whatever, it still gives you an idea. They are between bench and squat.

Oh and one last thing: don't "aim" and definitely don't aim low. Only aim to be better than yesterday. Don't reach 1/2/3/4 and settle, reach 1/2/3/4 and aim for 2/3/4/5. And then more.
>>
Any snatch variations for power development that don't require a coach?
>>
>>36675089
>Also your stance seems pretty wide? Have you tried going a bit more narrow?
The stance I got from some youtuber who said it should be the one your feet go to when you land after a jump. I haven't seriously tried narrower than that.
>>
>>36675419
Switch to boxing or muay thai
>>
Bumping because it's about time there was something I love on /fit/ since Scoobs left
>>
If I'm a rookie at lifting should I really be doing a split routine? I've been doing it for a month or two and I'm thinking of just going to something more basic like upper body's, cardio, lower body, with one rest day. I like to do heavy volume on legs but at the end I've been feeling too tired to finish my workouts and I feel fine again to do legs a few days later. As it is now I only do legs and shoulders once a week.
>>
>>36675292
Depends on the length and the intensity. I run a variety of distances..maybe take 2 days off before a 5K, I will try and ease up on lifting when I start tapering before a marathon.
>>
>>36671611
I am a runner who has fairly recently gotten into lifting. Currently Finding my balance between training runs and lifting, and playing with diet/supps. I run a variety of distances with marathons being my longest at this time. Looking to get faster and qualify for Boston. Any other runners with advice?
>>
>>36675661
There is also Bill Starr's big three - squat, bench, power clean
>>
i bench, diddlylift, squat and curl at the gym. I also run on a 6km trail and do pull and chin-ups, do i qualify?
>>
>>36681925
forgot to add, weight vested push ups and bodweight ab rolls on running days
>>
>>36674830
hamstring weakness

focus on form and stick to what you are doing and maybe do some stiff dl's instead of hypers or maybe throw in a deficit day @ 80%
>>
>>36676718
because it resembles the female form on a forum mostly filled with dyel 16 year olds that need, and I mean NEED female attention. This poster displays that
>she
was able to read the sticky, and a strength and conditioning class in a community college
>>
>>36674281
bump
>>
>>36674281
Never done the program myself but the way it's set up progress should last pretty well until you're pushing big boy numbers, in which case you probably need to set a goal and program towards doing a pb on a certain date.

If you feel like you're getting no where at the moment and you don't have big lifts then try taking a deload week
>>
>>36674830
Initiate the movement by pushing knees back. Drive your hips through (hump the bar) and pull your shoulders back at the same time. Be more aggressive and decisive with the movement.
>>
File: 1443734056219.png (2 MB, 1000x1058) Image search: [Google]
1443734056219.png
2 MB, 1000x1058
I'll try and make this as short as humanly possible (therefore details will be lacking):
I have a knee injury
Progressed over the last year or so with mainly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3sQaKOjCl0
Right now I'm at a point where I'm ready to do heavier / loaded movements, such as a barbell squat
My main goal is to develop strength and volume in the VMO or teardrop muscle
So far I'm doing / have tried: hack lift (machine), leg extension machine, narrow stance squats (feet together as in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SauQgvbztRE)
I don't feel enough VMO activation with these movements, but I know people swear by them.

>tl:dr
How would I squat / hack lift / leg press etc to target the VMO? What angle of the feet and how would my stance be? thx alot in advance
>>
Anyone doing one of the renaissance periodization mesocycles?
>>
>>36682939
It's not that I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. On the contrary, gains are awesome and I want them to keep coming as long as possible.
Going for 5x160kg squat and 5x200kg diddly tomorrow, wish me luck.
>>
>>36683066
Ride the gains trains until the end then bro.

Goodluck mang. Smash it out.
>>
File: harold the great.jpg (212 KB, 1268x1695) Image search: [Google]
harold the great.jpg
212 KB, 1268x1695
>smashed my OHP plateau
>>
>>36683539
good shit bro. How much did you do?
>>
>>36683011
Try barbell squat with the bands around your knees
>>
Hey all so I'm on Sheiko and this is my competition cycle. This is the first week and I was supposed to max squat+ bench yesterday. Unfortunately for me, I set my alarm as AM instead of PM and slept through my workout. Was planning on doing it today and then doing the deadlift 1rm tomorrow. Shouldn't be bad right? Instead of a rest day I'm just going back to back. I'll eat more to compensate. Thoughts?
>>
>>36684140
this focuses the abductors and glutes, not the VMOs mate
>>
>>36675407
>1) wear shoes
Do you have any sources on that? Deadlifting in sneakers felt easier then barfoot.
>>
>>36684327
Ok disregard, thank you for the correction
>>
File: M2016_1.png (701 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
M2016_1.png
701 KB, 640x1136
6ft 1 hungry skellington (145 lbs) here, been lifting for a few months now but ate way too less, fixing that.

Questions;
>do I have a good base?
>Is it worth it incorporating side planks/planks on rest days where I do stretching and mobility work?

forgive the stance of my feet, pic is a still from a video. My left knee is actually straight heh
>>
>>36684762
404 legs not found
>>
File: M2016_2.png (734 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
M2016_2.png
734 KB, 640x1136
>>36684762
Here's a pic where you can see my current core atm, unflexed.
>>
>>36684762
Start eating some food man you look like a fucking alien
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.