[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>trying to work out through crippling depression How do I fix this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: shit_file_name.jpg (42 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
shit_file_name.jpg
42 KB, 600x450
>trying to work out through crippling depression
How do I fix this?
>>
>>36656275
Ain't nothin' to it but to do it, bud.

I know it's hard. I love you.
>>
>>36656275

You don't fix it.
> you have to force yourself to the gym 4 - 6 times a week
> some days you won't be able to
> use your repressed rage to set PR's
> repeat until depression starts to fade away
> be realistic, this will take several months for this to happen

You' re now in single player mode. The end boss is your own brain. Kick his ass.
>>
>>36656275
brisk walk for 30 mins at least 3 times a week

or do it whenever you have a good day
>>
>>36656370
>several months
>several years
Depression ruined my whole 20's. It is only now that I am 32 that I am achieving something close to serenity. Not trying to get you down, but you need to prepare for a long run potentially.
>>
>>36656401

I meant that it will take several months to recognize some slight changes. There's simply is no quick fix.
>>
>>36656275
What are these guys in the background doing?
>>
>>36656458
Getting ready for the race war
>>
>>36656275
I got depressed/anxiety while on my peak of lifting due to moving into a new apartment 8 hours from my family and losing my gf. I ate clean, lifted 5 times a week and grades were amazing. Now its only the grades that are amazing, and I dont manage to go to school everyday. I'm scared and just wish someone would ask how my day was, even just slightly give a fuck about me. Been a loner since forever, but not my confidence is gone.
>>
>>36656401
>Depression ruined my whole 20's

I'm turning 21 this year and depression hate been eating up my life for the past year or so badly

What would you have done differently
>>
>>36656275
Here's what I've found really helps me.

>clear mind = clear surroundings, keep your room and home clean
>if necessary take medication, it is here to help you okay so don't be so hard on yourself, I care if you're happy or not
>practicing social interactions with people, so I'll talk to retail workers and I'll even compliment strangers on the street you'd be surprised at how people are willing to open up if you're nice and polite
>you can't force anything. Take your time. Please.

These may not have been relevant to exercise but they're what comes before it in order for you to be able to actually work out. So clean your room is the first thing.
>>
>>36656524
not him but I've had depression most of my life and now I'm 23 living as a poor grad student. Everything about my life is affected by it, and the effects make me even worse. I can't get shit done and I have no motivation for anything besides exercise, and even that is difficult sometimes. Get therapy. I can't afford it now and I wish that I'd gone to therapy more when I had still had money saved in early uni. I went in high school when my parents offered to pay for it, and it helped immensely. Now it's been over 6 years and I'm back to square one. Find a therapist that you can get along with easily, and it will likely change you life for the better.
>>
File: 1457924270336.jpg (18 KB, 540x391) Image search: [Google]
1457924270336.jpg
18 KB, 540x391
Here's my thought process during a 10 rep benchpress set
>one down, nine to go
>two down, feeling good
>three down, I'm 21 and still have acne
>four, I'm balding. My dad only has a couple years left to live
>five, nobody has ever been in love with me and I lack the emotional capacity to hold a relationship
>six, we are alone in the universe. There is no reason.
>seven, there is nothing after death. I'm not even going to exist. Everything I do is inconsequential. My fitness level doesn't matter. I don't matter. Time doesn't matter. Time will end. The earth will be swallowed by the sun long before then. Humanity will probably wipe itself out in my lifetime and I'll watch it happen
Aaand done
>>
I spent 6 years of my life hoping to die everyday. I don't know how I did it. I did stupid shit a few times, but over all that time never had it in me to do that to my family.

SSRIs saved my life. I regret nothing. I got lucky though, side effects were minimal and eventually faded a few weeks in. If you're over 25 I recommend giving them a shot even more highly. Depression runs in my family, lost 3 to suicide, drugs drugs drugs made sense for me. Not for everyone though.

There's talk therapy too, seek that out. And the coping mechanisms that'll give you are useful. Or a stranger on the internet. Someone who you won't feel guilty unloading on. Wether you pay them to listen or they live 100s of miles away.

Lifting, eating healthy, exercise, all that, meds or not. Anything that will keep you busy and improve physical health. Any lifestyle change that chooses living, depressed as you may be, but anything that has you out in the world, making steps forward. You'll find a way/place reach out eventually and find lifelines, just keep truckin'.

Baby steps. That was my motto. Move just a little bit forward whenever you can manage, just don't let yourself fall back. Don't beat yourself up, pick yourself up.
>>
Why does depression even happen?
>>
>>36656676
>>three down, I'm 21 and still have acne

Oh, hi me.
>>
>>36656734

Just an add on, reiteration, etc.

SSRIs are only really effective for severe depression. A doctor should be able to help you determine where you're at.

>go talk to your primary care physician, the clinic at your uni, what you can
>depression is a serious illness, even if temporary
>proper medical doctor should do shit for you
>even if it's just pamphlets, something
>>
Help
>be me
>be fatass
> get high
>have really depressing thoughts
>some, in different sessions and this one, have been about suicide
>this one takes the cake
>realise I'm as obese and shit looking as a 50 y/o
>at fucking 18
>reality sets in pretty heavy
>went to work after 5.5 hr sleep
>this after combined 8 hours of sleep for w days.
>music doesn't pump me up as it used to
>couldn't bring myself to deadlier or leg day at all
>depressing thoughts still there

I did shave 3 minutes from my 2 mile run before the high. Could this be an endorphin crash?

I've been cutting since august. Are there pockets of hormones stuck in fat like minerals and shit? Could it be a pocket of estrogen?

I just wish I found the sticky earlier
>>
>>36657648
*2 days

*Deadlift

Sorry should proof read.

Also:
>boss and supervisor always telling me good job
>don't really feel like I do much
Are they just trying to get me to work faster?
>>
>>36657648
Some wake-up calls are unpleasant, sounds like this was one. Keep at it man, use that existential discomfort to your advance. Also that's why I stopped smoking pot.
>>
>>36657648
if you're depressed all the time then smoking weed will make you feel emotions. Since you're depressed and unhappy with yourself, those emotions will be negative. If I've had a really down and numb day then at the end of the day smoking will make me want to cry. You should stop smoking until you're in a good head space, or only do it when you're having good times.
>>
>>36657738
how about you faggots stop smoking drugs like degenerate wiggers?
>>
>>36656489
>depressed
>anxiety
>still managed to get a gf
>still managed to get amazing grades
>still managed to continue school

god fucking damnit, stop using your normie definition of mental ilness

>>36656549
>you'd be surprised at how people are willing to open up if you're nice and polite
Yes, if you look like a chad or a pretty white girl. Otherwise they will call you a creep and call police on you.
>>
>>36657764
no
>>
>>36657831
>my depression is the only kind of depression
>>
>>36657648
ups and downs are part of the business.. keep going, it gets better!
>>
>>36657853
That's not what I said normie, but why am I even arguing with a normie.

Your life is so sheltered your emotional experience is that of an 12 year old. No wonder you get "depressed" over the smallest things (moving away from family). You could just say sad but you wouldn't get the attention you want, would you now?

Tell me how someone with depression can complete school with top grades or even go to school with severe social anxiety. I bet he meant normie anxiety. "omg I suffer from anxiety, this one time my heart beat a little faster when I had to speak in front of thousands of people, but I just got through it, you can to"

I have been hospitalized and I have seen people with real depression. They are drop outs, some couldn't even finnish high school. They do nothing in a day, nothing gives them joy, they are ashamed to go outside etc.
>>
>>36657992
Not guy you originally responded to. I've been depressed 12 years. I want to die every fucking day. The only reason I get out of bed is so that I don't get fired and starve to death. You're part of the reason people live through depression for years without getting help because they don't think it's bad enough. You're part of the reason why people think depression is some rare kind of disorder that only results in suicide. You're the fucking problem.
>>
>>36658070
>has depression
>has the will and ability to maintain a job

Just please stop already.
>>
>>36656275
What worked for me was thinking to myself "I'll feel this absolute worst pain for the rest of my life if I don't lift these weights. These weights are nothing compared to what I've faced"
>>
File: 1401636421436.jpg (184 KB, 700x951) Image search: [Google]
1401636421436.jpg
184 KB, 700x951
i get depressed if i dont work out.

i used to use my negative emotions as my fuel for my work outs. i would listen to metal and i vented out my frustration by pushing as much weight as i could. after a while, though, lifting weights makes you feel so good that you no longer feel so anxious and angry all the time so it no longer works as a motivation source at the gym, so you have to find new motivation; usually i just get motivated by the fact that i am always looking foward to my next workout (i do starting strength 3 days a week).

anyway, the important thing is that after you have been lifting for a few weeks consistently, your overall mood will be way, way better. i've been doing starting strength and it takes a LOT out of you, you feel sore and beat up and some rest days you feel totally exhausted, but you are tired with a tremendous feeling of self accomplishment.

i dont know if you've watched the movie fight club, but in it there's a scene where edward norton says that after you've been in a fight, everything else in life has the volume turned way down to a whisper... meaning all the loud stresses lose their power, you just are not phased by the same things that used to stress your mind out because your brain is so much more in tune with how its body feels. you'll feel tired and sore but also amazing.

edward norton in that scene also says that after you've been in a fight, you feel like you can take on anything. same with weight lifting.

and he says you dont know yourself if youve never been in a fight. same with training, you dont really know yourself if you've never pushed yourself physically in any sort of disciplined physical training routine
>>
>>36658097
>I still don't know what depression is but I guess I'll keep posting terrible bait
>>
>>36656489
How's been your day bro?
>>
>>36658446
Next thing you are going to say is that women can be depressed.

I am getting baited so hard by you it's insane.
>>
> implying that lifting isn't the only reason why I haven't thrown myself out of the window

Grills mire me now, I guess that's cool too.
>>
>>36658515
You have strong bait, as well.
>>
>>36658070

>getting help
I am so fucking terrified of doctors holy shit
my GP talks to me like I were a fucking idiot who can't even tie his shoes and got called a faggot by staff for going to the hospital with a 39°C fever

everytime I talk to a doctor/professional about anything I get so humiliated and talking to such people about what's going on in my head is just terrifying to me

if I wouldn't have to deliver a fucking slip at work from the doc that I'm actually sick I'd never go to these assholes
needless to say most of the time I work while sick because I can't be arsed to go to the gp just to get told I'm a pussy
>>
>>36658713
This
I'm also a gun owner in a very restrictive state and I know if I admit anything I'm getting my shit taken away
>>
>>36656275

You don't fix it, you make it harder for it to take hold.

The more you have going on, the more things that you can pour effort into and be proud of, the less likely depression will rule your thought process.

Therapy is, IMHO, essential. As a guy coping with depression since 2003, trying to deal with and without therapy: it helps.

Finding a therapist can be like pulling teeth; after you narrow down a search to ones that take your insurance (or just who look qualified) they don't answer, they don't follow up on calls, their voice mail is full/out of date, their AA doesn't communicate your calls to them, etc. And even AFTER you do that, you need to make sure you mesh, and unfortunately you won't with every one, or even most.

Bottom line: want to get better. As long as that want is there, you'll make it. Rocky didn't beat Apollo the first time, but he was a winner, anyway.
>>
>'''''''''men''''''''' seeking mental help
>>
>barely functional
>wishing for death
>either indifferent or furiously angry
>broke a cabinet fighting with my husband
>functional strength
>>
>>36659853
>being a woman or a faggot
that explains it
>>
>>36656275
Make sure you drink heaps of caffeine.
>>
>>36656275
Something my therapist grandpa would always say is that exercise is great for the mind and the body. It gives you time to either think about problems without having to focus on otherthings (running over doing work) or forget your problems while focusing on intense exercise. Also if your body's healthy its happy and an unhappy body is even worse for an unhappy brain. Right now im working though some stuff and in combination with severely cutting my time on the computer im thinking of doing alot more exercise.
>>
>>36656637
>Find a therapist that you can get along with easily
Easier said than done.

All the therapists I've seen were liberal shitbirds who'd tell me useless things like "I cant help you until you quit the drugs and alcohol" and "Let's explore those feelings"
>>
>>36657764
Tell that to all the "non-degenerate" drug users who pop prescription pills like they're Tic Tacs.

i.e.: Rush Limbaugh, half of West Virginia, and half of my county's Sheriffs department
>>
>>36659743
>shaming people for mental illness
>>
>>36656275
Caffine?
>>
>>36656524
Get help.

Get into therapy or something, don't procrastinate.
>>
>>36657992
Some of is hide it better, you arrogant fucking prick.
>>
>>36658070
This guy gets it.

Went undiagnosed with depression since I was 14 or so. Found out when I was 27.

Free hugs from me man.

>>36657992
You a problem. Go fucking die. You are why I hate people most of the time.
I generally feel 3 emotions - overwhelming pain, nothingness, and anger.

To bad I can't tear your eyelids out right now.
>>
File: 1388480548103.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1388480548103.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>36656401
STOP BEING A COWARD, ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO LET YOU DEFEAT YOURSELF, DO YOU REALLY THIRST FOR YOUR OWN PITY SO MUCH?
>>
>>36658097
>Hurr durr I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I have no idea that I don't so I am going to just keep talking
>>
>>36656489
Sorry bud
I would help if i could
>>
>>36656370
Damn bro that's some shit. I'm at work but I wanna go lift things.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.