[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home gym v.s. gym subscription
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 35
File: home-gym.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
home-gym.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
>Have gym membership
>Never can get the weights I want
>Squat rack always taken
>Busy as fuck filled with betafags, fatties, & permabulk fatties screaming
>Couple of hot chicks but meh I have a really hot wife at home
>Fuck it I'm going to leave

>Go to another gym
>Same shit different place

>Spend 3K on home gym
>Wife keeps me company during lifts
>Wife starts working out
>Wife goes from 7 body to 10 body
>No chumps mirin' my wife at the gym

What are the pros to going to the gym poorfags?
>>
can i use your gym mate?
>>
>>36521406

squash court.

Having a bench press and an olympic bar is not that expensive. allows for
>bench
>OHP
>deadlift
>pendalay rows
>curls
>cleans
>front squat

Get a door frame pull up bar and you're on your way to having a beginner home gym.

Good job, op. and congratulations on the hot wife.
>>
File: 1457491777158.jpg (125 KB, 1028x550) Image search: [Google]
1457491777158.jpg
125 KB, 1028x550
I just ordered my home gym I am really excited.

pros
>you spend 30 minutes driving back and forth typically
>another 5-15 preparing protein, pwo, water bottle and getting gym bag together
>already an hour of just getting ready and transportation
>usually the whole ordeal is 3 hours for me including shower/food
along with
>no waiting
>proper equipment
gyms by me never have bumpers or decent barbells
>can train shirtless
>can blast YOUR music
>more serious training sessions, as no one will bother you

downsides
>no girls
>its like an online class gotta make sure you do it
>lack of machines
>lack of cardio machines
>cost
>dumbbells
>space

If you have money and space go for it, lad.

Also like you said, it is a fool proof way not to get cucked.
>>
It's one of my 'man' goals alongside having a shed. Figure it'll cost me about £700.
>>
File: 1420965611119.png (135 KB, 507x568) Image search: [Google]
1420965611119.png
135 KB, 507x568
I'm 19 and college student. I live in an apartment building and the walls are pretty thin.
I live a few minutes from the local gym and it's pretty dead in the mornings.
>>
>>36521406
about the most underrated pro i've seen listed any any home-gym discussion is the fact that if your gym is just "downstairs," you might be more likely to "get around to it." if you have to drive to and pay for a gym, you might be more likely to make an honest attempt at working out/make your workouts count.
>>
>>36521515
>I live in an apartment building and the walls are pretty thin.

what?
>>
>>36521637
that means he can suck almost the full length of his neighbour's cock
>>
home gym benefits:
>free membership
>cheap (if you aren't afraid of labour)
>no rules
>you pick of music
>equipment always free
>no need to rush anything
>mutliple training sessions a day are easy

gym benefits
>training atmosphere can push you further than otherwise
>talking to regulars gets you knowledge (though not great knowledge)
>decently equipped ones have everything (good luck trying to find a leg extension machine cheap enough for a home gym)
>>
>home gym master race
>can't afford cables

I'm gonna get resistance bands I guess
>>
>>36521542
poorfag student reporting in
For me it's exactly the other way around. My gym is in the next room so I workout breddy often.
fgm
>>
File: gym.jpg (223 KB, 750x562) Image search: [Google]
gym.jpg
223 KB, 750x562
all you faggots need to quit with the 24 hour fitness and lifetime fitness places

find a local bodybuilding/powerlifting gym - it'll be dirty, lack a pool and all that shit but it'll have everything you want and need plus cheap as shit

i lift at a place like in the pic for $40/month - 5 power racks, dumbbells up to 150, 4 olympic platforms
>>
>>36521406
>poorfags
3k worth of equipment for however long you're gonna lift for is always more viable than spending money on the gym in the long run. So basically you're the poor one XXDDD ::DD:X)D:)X
>>
>>36521467
>another 5-15 preparing protein, pwo, water bottle
Same as with a home gym
>>
>>36521806
he could sell everything for $2600, faggot
>>
>tfw pay $20 a month for a shit gym with only one squat rack
>tfw I'm the only one that ever uses it cause everyone else uses the one smith machine

Why the fuck do people like the smith machine so much?
>>
>>36521406
For those that live in an apartment, what do your home-gyms look like? I only have, like, 8 dumbbells of varying weight, and I don't even carry a bench or a bar or anything.

Help me step my apartment-gym up, brehs. Post apartment-gyms.
>>
>>36521406
don't have space for all gym equipement. would love to have a good homegym, i alredy have halfrack and barbell but space is really tight. as soon as i move i will doeet.
>>
>>36521770
that's a real gym, why don't more people like this?
>>
File: feel3.jpg (60 KB, 1167x879) Image search: [Google]
feel3.jpg
60 KB, 1167x879
>tfw i have the space but not the money
>>
Home gyms are eerie as fuck. The loneliness is gonna kill your mood most days. Youre probably going to end up doing a mix of home and commercial gym like most people.
>>
>>36521406
why do you have 10 billion dumbbells?
>>
>OP here
I would say for me working out at home is way better. I listen to my death metal at full blast. My kids and wife get to use the equipment. And a standard gym membership is going to cost you $1400 for 5 years. And just like renting you don't have anything that is yours. If you are going to work out for the rest of your life, it is worth it to buy the equipment.

>Do you really trust that the gym equipment is very clean?
>>
I live in California so I at least get to save on my water bill by showering at the gym.

I also home gym, which I prefer. Working out in underwear is really convenient. I also listen to talk radio while lifting.
>>
I've had a home gym for a little while. Some things I've noticed:

1. Doing oly lifts is extremely expensive. You'll need to buy a minimum $300 bar, spend at least twice as much on bumper plates than you would iron, and require a full platform. (cost me ~400 to build)

You also need to protect the knurl of the bar from being rubbed off by the rack/squat stands. Unless you get an expensive squat rack/stands with plastic lining the hooks and uprights, you'll need a second bar for the rack. this isn't a concern for power lifters because they don't need to grip the bar that wide.

Powerlifting/general training can be done with a cheap cap barbell, a cheap bench, a cheap rack, trash iron plates, and a rubber mat to save your floor. It's actually super cheap, and everything will have better resale value because the wear and tear doesn't effect the function of the equipment that much.

2. I should have asked a welder to build me a power rack. I bought a crappy bolt-together rack off of the internet for like 250 before shipping, and I could have hired a welder to make a better one for less. If you pay a guy to make it you'll also avoid shipping costs.

something to note about a cheap rack: The circular hooks and safeties will absolutely fuck up the knurl on you bar. I ended up making a rubber and plastic sleeve that ties around the bar so I don't beat it up.

3. Getting halfway decent plates is a bitch. It costs about a dollar per pound to ship weights, so you have to buy local. I live in a major Canadian City and still could not find local stores that would sell me normal sized plates. It seems that the fitness industry has moved away from 45cm plates, and sell them ranging from 35-40cm. You can stack some rubber under smaller plates to get them to the correct height, but you'll run into problems if you try and load up a bar 45cm bumpers and 35cm plates. I ended up paying way too much money for garbage 45cm plates.

4. Craigslist is your friend. Buy everything you can used
>>
>>36521770
I have all that in my basement and paid a little more than 1yr membership at your gym for it. The only thing I would prefer to have is a calf raise machine, but I can just do them with a barbell on my shoulders.
>>
>>36521770
Fucking colorado. nearest powerlifting gym is an hour and a half away.

fuck colorado and its fucking gyms.
>>
>30€ a month
>5 squat racks
>5 Benches
>10 minutes biking distance
>6am to 10pm so virtually 24h open
>Met cool homos

Also i'd wager about working more seriously home. I like to feel as an investment when going to the gym. Like if I went home after 20 minutes i'd loose my time. It motivates me at least finishing my session But that's personal
>>
>>36521406

> social facilitation

look it up. This is why you should go to the gym.
>>
>>36521406
Fuck man, that sounds like my dream life.

I'm a first year in uni right now and living in dorms so I have to use the crammed uni gym that is extremely crowded 24/7 and I always have to wait 15+ minutes for a rack or bench. Fucking bullshit dude.

My dream is what you described. To make enough money to build a nice comfy home gym, to get a /fit/ wife, and to lift in peace without ever having to wait for a rack again.

Hope you enjoy your home gym masterrace OP, you deserve it
>>
>>36521406
cons of a home gym:
no cable machines to work pecs and long head of the triceps
difficult to isolate quads
no leg press, maybe no lat pulldown
you must choose between adjustable dumbbells, which make warm ups and drop sets less smooth, or a rack of dumbbells which takes up lots of room and is expensive
no workout partner
no spotter, no one will warn you if your form is about to snap your shit up

pros
don't need to shower before and after working out- only after
can spend all the damn time between sets you want
don't have to wait for equipment
no normies
can take off your pants and shirt
>>
File: IMG_20160325_195540.jpg (84 KB, 300x533) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160325_195540.jpg
84 KB, 300x533
>>36522189
Here is my apartment home gym. Barbell, Olympic DBs, weights, a bench, and a few specialty barbells. Only compromises I have to make is front sqauts only. And cleaning the BB up a lot. And going real heavy on bench is near impossible. So I add extra chest stuff and do split squats as well. Not to bad.
>>
>>36521770
>40 per month
>cheap
Why does my local golds cost half that, and not look like a fucking reappropriated auto garage? I bet that placr smellz lije doodoo
>>
>>36523306
Why would you shower before working out? Sounds retarded desu senpai
>>
>>36523682
because I don't shower after work and I smell like work
>>
>>36523705

are you that autistic that you're afraid to smell bad at the gym? People literally pay money to go there and sweat
>>
>>36523734
I work in a dirty cheese factory I smell like cheese and beef sticks it'd be kinda weird anon
>>
>>36523767

If anyone bothers you about it, tell them you'll give them a beef stick in the mouth
>>
File: I work in a cheese factory.jpg (119 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
I work in a cheese factory.jpg
119 KB, 900x600
>>36523767
>I work in a dirty cheese factory

Pic related.
>>
>>36521406

The last point is insecure betafag. A true alpha parades his bitch like a piece of meet
>>
>>36523860
>A true alpha parades his bitch like a piece of meet
>a piece of meet
>meet

~tru alpha~
>>
>>36521837
Nigger, you need to work on your cardio because you do shit slow as fuck.
>>
>>36523860
Yeah, real alphas gets all the neighbors to come over and gawk at his bitch. Yeah, 'cuz to a true alpha women are just objects. And like meat, they shouldn't be clothed, so true alphas strips his bitch in front of tons of other men. Then the other betas pay tribute to the true alpha by giving up their semen into the meat wife's vagina while the true alpha watches. Then when the betas leave, the true alpha forces his wife to eat a dozen eggs (though he doesn't explain why).
>>
File: Gym moved to new basement.jpg (726 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
Gym moved to new basement.jpg
726 KB, 3264x1840
>>36521406
>I have a really hot wife at home ... Wife keeps me company during lifts. Wife starts working out

Same here. Nothing quite like seeing your woman squat five sets of three with good form.

>>36521542
>if you have to drive to and pay for a gym, you might be more likely to make an honest attempt at working out/make your workouts count.

The entire commercial gym industry is based on this being predictably false, i.e. their revenue is from the the over-subscription of memberships.

There is an element of truth in the procrastination options with a home gym, but strength of mind, body and will prevails... or you can sell it on Craigslist.

>>36522519
>You'll need to buy a minimum $300 bar, spend at least twice as much on bumper plates than you would iron, and require a full platform. (cost me ~400 to build)

Agreed on the value of a quality bar for life, but 4' x 6' x 3/4" rubber horse stall mats are $34.99 from the Tractor Supply Co. right now. I had two for my home gym until a recent renovation resulted in the most practical and cost-effective flooring choice being all horse stall mats, as pictured.
>>
>>36522222
Very nice
>>
>>36521637
means that sound travels easily.
>>
I am building my home gym too because I can watch anime in my rest.

What you fags use on the floor? I do not use carpet, want something that protects the flooring from being scratched by iron.
>>
>>36522282
Cos that pic isn't of his house
>>
>>36521406
I work out at home. I wouldn't lift weights if I had to get up leave the house, go into public, mess around with other people, have to wait....

At home I wait until the last moment before I plan on lifting, take off pants into undies, lift wieghts, finish and make shake, take shower, eat dinner soon after.
>>
File: IMG_20160326_103515585.jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_103515585.jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
If you have the money/space home gyms are top tier
>>
File: steinbornlift.jpg (20 KB, 600x307) Image search: [Google]
steinbornlift.jpg
20 KB, 600x307
>>36523481
When stating first became a workout they didn't have squat racks. They would lift the weight onto shoulders and squat. It was part of the fun. How much can you lift onto shoudlers.
>>
>>36522727
I live in Colorado and work out at a place just like that. You must not be in the Denver metro area.
>>
>>36521406
You should try and get your wife's son into lifting too
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for building a gym both on a budget and with a small amount of space?

Can anyone recommend something good, cheap, and small for cardio?
>>
>>36522273

trust me it dosen't, unless your the super social type
>>
>>36530800
How little space we talking? If you have OK ceiling height and about 2.5 meters width to work with, you can get a pair of squat stands in there and a barbell with 15 cm clearing to each wall.

>good, cheap and small for cardio
A pair of running shoes, a pair of swim shorts, a jumping rope, a kettlebell, or any combination of those.
>>
>>36530892

It's either going to be a spare bedroom (on the second floor... ugh) or in the garage. The garage will obviously have more room so I'll be able to get squat stands and such. If it's the bedroom I'll probably end up having to stick with a bench and some dumbells.

Jump rope is a great alternative to an elliptical. Thanks!
>>
>>36528712
kek
>>
File: IMAG1274.jpg (499 KB, 1088x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1274.jpg
499 KB, 1088x1920
>>36522189
Just finished tightening the bolts.

2nd floor apartment. Hope my neighbor doesn't get too mad. I don't slam plates anyway.

~$700 total, including bar and 255lbs plates from craiglist
>>
>>36528640
>snapcityherewecome.gif
>>
>>36530976
>Spare bedroom
Have you seen Dreamer (Trip on /plg/) and his setup? He has a power cage and a bench crammed in at the foot of his bed, looks amazingly comfy.
>>
>>36531274

I have not seen that. I'm just getting started with looking into the whole home-gym thing. You wouldn't happen to have pics, would you?
>>
>>36531332
I don't, and it's a bleeding shame, since he even took some time to draw up a layout of it all for me when I was considering doing the same. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't find the space for it because of an old desk I can't get rid of.
>>
File: Gym in garage.jpg (533 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
Gym in garage.jpg
533 KB, 1840x3264
>>36530800
>Does anyone have any recommendations for building a gym both on a budget and with a small amount of space?

You neglect to provide useful information concerning your "small" space, but to get strong all you need is room to lift, so space for a rack or cage, bench and enough floor space near it to put the bar down for deadlifts.

Prices are what I paid and include tax and shipping unless otherwise noted for a Starting Strength based home gym.

Valor BD-19 Sawtooth Squat / Bench Combo from Overstock.com - $317.98
Valor DA-7 Flat Bench from Overstock.com - $120 (current price)
Burgener & Rippetoe Men's Bar and Rogue Proloc Collars from Rogue Fitness - $354.19
Two 6' x 4' x 0.75" Horse Stall Rubber Mats from Tractor Supply Co. - $70 (approx.)
Wei-Rui Warrior Weightlifting Shoes from MAXbarbell - $77.94
375 lb plates via Craigslist - $250

You can get coupons and discounts to bring down the cost of new gear from Overstock.com.

>Can anyone recommend something good, cheap, and small for cardio?

Yes they can and if they do and it involves spending money, then it's a waste of money. If a proper strength training program and the requisite recovery isn't burning enough calories and you want to lose fat, then eat better.

Otherwise all you need to do is move around. If you need more space to move around more, try going outside - there's a lot of room out there.
>>
>>36521515
College gym?
>>
>>36531108
>Fitting a whole power rack inside an apartment

I want your life, shaking my head to be honest, family ;_;
>>
>>36533981
extra bedroom usually isnt that much more $ senpai. didnt choose it on purpose, but it comes in handy
>>
File: 20160218_160308.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160218_160308.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>36521406
Only 1100 dollarydoos
>>
>>36534288

What do you have on the underside to protect your flooring?
>>
>>36532021
You have the fucking shittiest home gym ever and I always see you in these threads acting like hot shit.
>>
>>36534305
5/8 inch osb and then under that those pads that go under rugs so they don't slide around.
>>
>>36528640

>rounded back
>barbell resting on neck
>feet position way too narrow
>poor shoulder mobility

0/10
>>
>>36531361
Very interesting! Ik you'd find them plz post
>>
File: 1355739283325.jpg (237 KB, 1100x1380) Image search: [Google]
1355739283325.jpg
237 KB, 1100x1380
>>36522222
you've been blessed by the mighty god of repeating digits himself, you'll fulfill your destiny, godspeed anon
>>
>>36522257
get a job or get involved, bumass nigga
>>
I have a pullup bar and dip station, backpack and sandbags from walmart.

This is all you really need to work out.
>>
>>36521446
What is a good door frame pull up bar?
>>
Looking to upgrade my shitty dicks sporting goods bar. Looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Olympic-1000-Pound-Capacity/dp/B001K4OPY2

Anyone have any experience? Gonna add two cap 45lb plates to my order since the fitness gear weights are too small for proper diddys
>>
Lol well for one, as a poorfag i live in a super tiny apartment

Even without all the clutter i'd feel boxed in

I like the gym atmosphere. So i go to the gym. Also i use some machines, and i'm not about to sell myself (because again, poorfag, own nothing of monetary value) for those things.

Butttttt mostly, atmosphere. Can't explain it, just like it. Hate my own place though, prefer to be out in the real world as much as possible.
>>
Good luck if you decide to lift something too heavy.
>>
>>36521406
DUDE this happened to me too
gf works out with me in my homegym
work out naked
sits on me during BP
homegym masterrace
>>
>>36522273
I usually listen to talk radio while i lift, so it counteracts the loneliness
>>
>>36521467
My gym is like 5 minutes away but ya.
>>
>>36521723
You don't need a leg extension machine. There are alternatives that actually work better.
>>
>>36521770
That's not cheap.
>>
>>36522273
I mostly go to 24 hour Fitness between 2 and 3 am when like 5 people are there and three if them work there.
>>
>>36537589

>not harnessing that loneliness at the gym and becoming one with yourself

shig
>>
>>36523860
Cuck
>>
>>36537561
This gave me a erection
>>
how rich do you have to be to have enough room at your home to build a gym? not to mention the equipment?
>>
>>36530800
Ya, they sell elliptical machine with just the bottom part and they take up about as much space as two people standing front to back.
>>
>>36530800

>for cardio

run outside.

literally the cheapest option.

also less fucking boring.
>>
>>36522273
Normie detected
>>
>>36521515
>the walls are pretty thin

Why the fuck is that relevant to anything?
>>
I'll never understand you cheap fags who buy shitty ass Chinese $200 racks that's gona fall apart after some use and has a shitty load rating when you could just buy American/Australian made and spend $800 and get a rack that's going to last you for decades that you'll never need to worry about falling apart or breaking.

Seriously stop being cheap fags.

I spent nearly $400 on my Adjustable bench aswell, why? Because it actually had a gold standard load rating to support over 500kg in any position without snapping. You cheap fags spend $50 on a bench and get some 150kg max load rating Chinese shit that's gona be the death of you.
>>
>>36537903

there is a difference between being cheap and being poor, dude.

for example, if i spent $400, i'd probably be evicted for not paying rent.
>>
>>36537915
Then goto a cheap gym like planet fagness and save up enough money to aquire quality equipment that isn't going to snap on you when you get to a certain strength level or from simple overuse.
>>
>>36521406
I like to go to the gym. I'm not married and I enjoy the girls coming up and talking to me. Simple as that. Plus I have made some good business connections at the gym. I live in an affluent part of town and go the the expensive gym. Its pretty okay.
>>
>>36537931

bro i already have a gym membership. that, my place, food, and a couple nights out a week is about all i can afford. i don't even have any clothes that fit me well anymore.

i prefer an actual gym to a home gym, anyway. i barely consider this tiny rented shithole a home.
>>
>>36537951
Why you move out to suffer like that?

I didn't move until of my parents place until I was 28 and bought my first home in cash.
>>
>>36537981

lol i was kicked out at 18. no choice.

despite my living conditions, i would have suffered much more with my parents. i never would have grown. i never would have experienced life.

glad they booted me out. i'm happier now than i ever would have been there.
>>
File: 1458881006117.png (4 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458881006117.png
4 KB, 500x500
Can someone post the screencap which has something like "sweaty negro oly bars" in it?
>>
Grats man, keep doing you.
>>
>>36521406
Having a spotter for heavy benches and squats are the only reason I can see to go to the gym. If you're going to the gym alone though I don't see the point.
>>
>>36538320
Any decent half rack or power rack is going to have saftey spotter arms which are 1000 times more effective than a human spotter.
>>
>>36528666
Fucking clearly.
>>
>>36522151
Because people are stupid
>>
>>36537873
Are you retarded? The reason some gyms don't allow deadlifts or letting go of your weight is that the sound and vibrations travel through the building.
I've gotten 2 nuisance reports for using my microwave, getting a homegym would get me thrown out in less than a week.
>>
>>36523860
top cuck
>>
I've always found the problem with home gyms is that it's really easy to just walk away, or not stick to your routine. When you go to proper gym the logic is basically "well, I'm here, so I may as well work out". Whenever I try to work out at home even on my rowing machine I find it much too easy to walk away.

Though this is just an issue of determination.
>>
My gym
>Only ~five regulars
>everyone is there to lift heavy
>talk shit between sets
>71 years old powerlifter grandpa giving advice while squatting 245 for reps
>gym is tiny as shit but gets the job done
>10$/month
>>
File: my home gym.png (2 MB, 1176x1200) Image search: [Google]
my home gym.png
2 MB, 1176x1200
>>36522189
Third floor apartment renter here. Bought a couple of power blocks to save space (goes up to 90lbs each)

Hooked a trainer on my mountain bike for some cardio.

I'd like to get a full/half squat rack chin up bar for the doorway next.

Trying to set up stations around the apartment to put in spaces i never use.

Just trying be the most efficient with what I have.
>>
>>36537903
Why not do both and get a 1000lb bench for $150? Paying more doesn't mean getting more, no matter what the commercials tell you
>>
>>36539807
>That bike seat height
MANLET DETECTED! AWOOOOGAA!!!!

Jokes aside, looks clean lad, what's your routine little guy?
>>
>>36540170
My gf used it but did adjust the seat. I'm 6ft but idk if that qualifies to non manlet status.

As for the routine, it's basically a modified version of Dorian Yates Blood and guts program.

If i want a full body work out, ill do this guys routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kj7WUeqK7c
>>
>>36540249
Noice, lotsa volume is always good.
I bike too, but would kill for some rollers or a trainer atm.
>>
>>36540286
>>36540170
>>36540249
the part that sucks about the trainer is that its really loud with mountain bike tires. thinking about buying a 26 inch tire specifically for the trainer
>>
>>36540304
That's a good idea, you can buy special trainer tyres, they're actually worth it if you do a lot of trainer work.

Best buy a cheap rim and cassette for it though, they're annoying to take on an off all the time.
>>
File: 18957434478.jpg (11 KB, 111x119) Image search: [Google]
18957434478.jpg
11 KB, 111x119
>>36521542
>you might be more likely to make an honest attempt at working out/make your workouts count.

Late reply, but I tend to be wired differently than most of humanity. I'm a natural homebody, so I like going home straight after work. The fact that my personal gym is right there in my house and right outside (jogging) gives me more incentive than having to put up with 24 hour fitness before I get home. It'd be hard for someone like to put it off when its right there begging for use.
>>
My gym is great.

$17NZD per week.

>Open 24 hours, 7 days a week
>Small, with normal ceiling instead of one that is super high, so it feels nicer, and not just a huge shitty warehouse
>2 individual bathrooms with single showers, soap/shampoo dispensers, towel rail etc
>don't have to share shower rooms
>two power cages
>never has any lines to wait for equipment or anything
>posters on the walls asking for suggestions on how to make it better
>used to have power outlets on the walls but they fucking removed them
>have access to every gym of the same chain in NZ and Australia
>>
>>36521770
Yeah i was looking for a gym and found a "real gym" then i found a crunch fitness... the crunch had all the same equipment and was brand new.. in a better location... filled with normal people including tons of grills ... The shitty little "real" gym was 600 a year and required full payment for the membership upfront... crunch is 15 a month no money down plus 40 a year (220 total a year). I don't know about you guys but i can just grab one of the 4 extra bars and deadlift or power clean on the floor.. i don't need a wooden platform that costs me 400 dollars a year in some shitty gym.
>>
>>36522232
I'm in the burbs and a place like that literately doesn't exist, there used to be one before I started lifting and I drive by and saw it turned into a memefit/group classes place
>>
>>36521472
How tall are you? If your height in feet doesn't start with a 6 you might as well give up on being a man and enjoy being a cuck manlet
>>
>>36540469
theres a crunch near me. kind of regretting buying this power rack
>>
>>36521406
I live in Oslo, people here dont have any space for a home gym...My flat is 47 square meters and bought it for 300k usd...
>>
File: HAHAHHAA.gif (871 KB, 245x230) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHHAA.gif
871 KB, 245x230
>>36540835
>>
File: Dreamer floor plan.jpg (84 KB, 946x594) Image search: [Google]
Dreamer floor plan.jpg
84 KB, 946x594
>>36540835
>Oslo
Well, it's not like you don't have shitloads of other alternatives anyway. NKF lists four clubs there, NSF lists seven clubs, there's a Strongman place just outside the city and if you're into Crossfit I found like six differrent... Boxes, I think they're called, before I got tired of looking. Not even gonna bother looking for running or climbing clubs, but there's bound to be a few of those too.
Couple that with a (most likely) descent public transportation system, and you've got a great way of meeting likeminded people that'll help you grow as an >athlete without it costing too much. I live in Lofoten and had to go down the home gym route because the local gym only had one barbell and a shite squat rack and there weren't plates for more than 140 kilos, which isn't really very conducive to my goal of getting strong. I won't presume to tell you what to do, but if I was in your situation I'd join one of the clubs around there and surround myself with people who know what they're doing and become the best I can be in a supportive and positive environment instead of filling an already cramped apartment with some weights.

That said, if you want to go down the home gym route, there is a way where there's a will. I found the picture described in >>36531361
I don't know if quoting an old post like this will work with vanilla 4chan, but if not, go to desustorage and enter the post number to read a little about the likely comfiest and smallest home gym on /fit/ >>34734422
>>
>>36523481

I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't have a bench. Instead I bought a trap bar to replace front squats.

I use cheap spinlock dumbbells too.
>>
>>36541273
You are right, im going to Sats elixia atm, but ive also trained at fitnessxpress before, also lots of crossfat faggotry going around only one corner away from my place, BUT it would still be nice to have proper place like you amerilards to build a proper home gym instead of these miniature flats
>>
File: twgok - hahahaha.jpg (85 KB, 694x254) Image search: [Google]
twgok - hahahaha.jpg
85 KB, 694x254
>>36521406
>buying all the dumbbells of various weights instead of buying an adjustable one or a dumbbell bar you can add freeweights to
Why do people throw their money away like this? I got two bars i can easily add my plates to to adjust how much weight i want to use for that particular exercise on the dumbbells. Once im done, i can easily take thise off onto my barbell for my next exercise. JHC people are dumb.
>>
>>36521770
>powerlifting gym
You mean those gyms that everyone makes fun of because they can only squat once for 1/8th of a rep while thinking they're strong?
>>
>>36541387

Agreed, adjustable bells are much better.

There's a meme that powerblocks replace lot's of separate dumbbells, but they don't.

They only replace one a pair and the discs, there really isn't a great deal of space saved.

The only benefit is the time saved changing discs, but as this is done during rest periods between sets, you don't really see a benefit.
>>
>improving your wife's looks

Have fun getting cucked idiot.
>>
File: 20160327_110914.jpg (4 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160327_110914.jpg
4 MB, 3984x2988
So I'm home gym master race now but these mats are all I have. How can I do my Diddylifts without fucking my floor's shit up
>>
>>36541805
>putting your gym in your actual living quarters
>>
>>36541853
Best area DESU. It has a lot more room and you don't feel like you're confined to a cubicle.
>>
>>36541479
>confident women are more likely to cheat than insecure ones

You've got a long way to go sonny
>>
>>36541479
/r9k/ pls go and stay go
>>
>>36541805

until your parents kick you out for breaking their hardwood floors
>>
>>36521770
There's a gym like that here that's not much bigger than a closet and contains two power racks. You have to apply to join them and they only give you a membership if you have the right "attitude". So no, sounds like a shit hole. There are a few others but they are twice as far as the closest la fitness.
>>
>>36541805
Buy thicker mats
>>
>>36541805
The mats I use are called Regupol FX-30, and come in 1x0.5 meter size, 30 mm thick. They're stiff enough to stand on when deadlifting too, and after having used them to protect the concrete floor in my home gym for several months now, I'd say I can safely recommend them unless you lift significantly more than 200 kilos.
>>
>>36521735
Do it. I highly recommend you look into Bodylasic bands. Totally worth it
>>
>lifting barefoot
>wearing nothing but boxers
>listening to some crappy podcast
>yelling incoherently
>quick jack off round between sets if I get to excited at the sight of my own gains
I miss my home gym, it's truly life fit for the proud member of the master race
>>
>>36541805
layer of carpet (or other thin textile) not to scratch the floor + layer (or 2) plywood (osb is cheaper) and a layer of rubber mats on top.
The rubber mats you have are more of an anti slip-mat than a shock absorber-mat
Also not a big fan of the diamond pattern.
>>
>>36522151
Are you me?? This is honestly the reason I like my current gym. I have literally never seen anyone use the squat rack here. Even the big guys are using the smith machine all the time, it's confusing.
>>
>>36536617
it's exactly what it sounds like

>being this dense
>>
pros:
>one time cost of ~$400 for barbell, plates, and a combo rack+bench
>no commute, can go to the kitchen between sets to prep my post-workout shake and meal
>%100 privacy, have squatted full nude before, felt glorious

cons:
>the isolation is real, self-employed from home, literally only regularly leave the house to get food
>no machines
>no decent cardio equipment
>no spotter to call over when I try to PR

Also my lifts are pushing the limits of the shitty rack that I have, do I get a membership at the local gym that's a 5 minute drive away or do I buy a power cage?
>>
>>36543230
spotters at a gym are most likely not to be trusted
for $400 total, im not surprised youre surpassing your rack. you shouldve upgraded from jump
the only cardio equipment you need is shoes and outside
>>
File: IMG_20160327_201937718.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_201937718.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
U
>>
File: IMG_20160327_201952766.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_201952766.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>36543309
Mirin?
>>
>>36521770
I spend $10 a month at Golds Gym.
>>
>>36521406
Do you absolutely need a power rack? Is getting a cheap 99$ one from Walmart a bad idea?
>>
>>36543320
fucking lol
>drywall can support your body weight
are you a 2'3" dyel ubermanlet?
>>
>>36524037
Orangutang arms
>>
File: wnqXEPv.jpg (65 KB, 725x960) Image search: [Google]
wnqXEPv.jpg
65 KB, 725x960
>>36541805
>>36541805
do deads outside
>>
File: 1458995444870.jpg (16 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1458995444870.jpg
16 KB, 447x444
>>36543320
>>
>>36543054
>not knowing he was asking for a good pull up bar to buy
>>
>>36542193
I got a set off eBay already. Should be here this week. Highest weight band is 60lbs and if you combine all five it's over 100
>>
>>36541387
Some people have friends that come over to lift. Autismo.
>>
>>36528483
3/4 inch stall mats from tractor supply.
>>
File: 1458940692091.jpg (71 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1458940692091.jpg
71 KB, 400x300
My set up is in the garage with iron plates (concrete floor)... Do i need to worry about a floor cover? I'm lifting baby weights right now so I'm not concerned, but what about when i reach my husband goal?
>>
>>36546792
I'd suggest you get them soon as possible.
I've set down a 4pl8 deadlift on concrete with iron plates, even if they had a really thin rubber cover.
It might be a good idea to get some mats or solid wood platform in place before that point.
>>
>>36543808

99$ squat racks will kill you due to them being incredibly flimsy. You don't need a power rack but it makes it MUCH easier to do things. Try Craigslist.
>>
>moving soon
>looking for a place that can specifically accomodate a home gym
>fuck the cunts at my gym always doing squats in the curl rack
>>
>>36521406
home gym here, my only problem is this - I don't do barbell bench press because I don't want to die in my garage.
What are the main differences in strength development when using dumbbells for bench press?
>>
>>36551131
>I don't want to die in my garage.
if you are failing just lower it slowly towards your body, slide it down to your waist/legs sit up and then just drop the bar

practice with an empty bar first
>>
>>36551131
Don't you have a power rack? Just set the stops so they don't touch the safety when the bar touches your chest but will touch the safety if it's over your stomach (might press down on stomach a little but that's fine).

>Fail lift
>bar on chest
>push bar towards stomach

Not that difficult of a concept.

Unless you were dumb enough to just buy a bench press and not a power rack..
>>
File: 1456710126892.jpg (62 KB, 562x530) Image search: [Google]
1456710126892.jpg
62 KB, 562x530
>>36543320
damn anon i just hope there are no water / electrical parths in either wall....

actually i hope there is, that shit would be funny as fuck
>>
>>36551161
yeah tried it, it stills feels dangarous as shit, and I'd really rather not have 80kg on my stomach if I can help it.
>>36551241
but ofcourse i was

at least tell me why it's so much better to bench with a bar
>>
>>36551298
You can put more focus on the actual pectorals than stabilizers. Thus, more power generated thru chest. Stabilizers will still be worked during other dumbbell workouts anyways.
>>
>>36528483
I use a yoga mat, works pretty well and rolls up into near-nothing. You can get one at a discount store for about 10 bucks.
>>
>>36541805
google for those rubber mats that they use in horse stables
>>
>>36521406

Jesus Christ I wish my home gym was like this. I live in England and most houses over here are tiny. We use the spare bedroom as a gym and space is low. Enough room for a squat rack, bench, a sofa that folds out into a bed for when we have guests, weight holder and bar.

This is okay when you're starting out like I am but I know the squat rack has to be replaced with a power rack soon. The problem is finding a power rack that doesn't take up much more space than a squat rack. I love having a gym at home, haven't missed a session since I started, don't have to wait around and it's perfect if you're self conscious, but unless you have stacks of room the problems do get out of hand fast.
>>
>>36540463
Anytime Fitness?
>>
>>36521406
Let's be real here, your mom just brought you some dumbells didn't she?
>>
>>36543309
This is all you need.
>>
>>36521406

Spent $1000 on a home gym.

>Power Rack
>Horse mats
>dumbells
>EZ curl bar
>Oly bar
>Flat bench
>Gym rings
>Paralette bars
>Airdyne bike for that sexy HIIT

Best purchase ever

Besides my gym membership in NY costs $60 a month. This is so much better. I just can't deadlfit as heavy though. Oh well, can still substitute for that and I can still squat.
>>
>>36552770
Can't deadlift heavy? my only limitation is I don't own enough weight for the foreseeable future
>>
>>36551613
Just get a half rack bro, power racks are kinda over the top really. I have one though that I found cheap, but aussie houses are big asf so I don't care.
>>
>>36551358
much obliged.
>>36552917
not same guy, but deadlifts really suffer when you have to gently ease them down. waste a lot of energy over shit and it's harder to complete reps.
>>
>>36552917
Do single leg deadlifts with less weight.
>>
>>36521770
Lifetime is only 55 bucks.
>>
File: IMG_20160328_125809889.jpg (4 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160328_125809889.jpg
4 MB, 2952x5248
A few years in a different gyms in a few different states I got tired of the other dicks in the gym. Curling in the squat rack, no re-racking weights, stripping down to tiny lifting shorts to flex in the mirror, these two dicks at one gym would grunt like madmen on a leg extension machine with Max weight (~220 lbs) which really isn't a lot of weight to warrant the screaming... When I moved the last time and bought a house with a garage I decided to put together a home gym. After a $100 visit to home depot I build a squat rack, and $110 on that app letgo found some dude selling around 600 lbs of plates and a few bars. Still some equipment to go but home gym for life now
>>
File: blocx.jpg (124 KB, 600x473) Image search: [Google]
blocx.jpg
124 KB, 600x473
have any of you guys thought of building jerk blocks instead of squat racks? seem easier to build, and you can use them for block pulls and whatnot as well
>>
File: Redwing_WorX_5335.jpg (16 KB, 400x356) Image search: [Google]
Redwing_WorX_5335.jpg
16 KB, 400x356
>>36555766
Local Man Builds Guil... Pretty Nice Rack.

..and gets a really good deal on plates.

What's that blot on the inside left of the bar and what looks like wrapping on the inside right?

Did you use glue and wood screws, or just screws?

What do you use for safeties when bench pressing?
>>
File: 1453519086392.jpg (189 KB, 840x700) Image search: [Google]
1453519086392.jpg
189 KB, 840x700
iv just started to get /fit/ and im in the market for a gym. I was looking at a youfit nearby because its cheap and frankly most of the other gyms around me are either crossfit or some other strange hybrid that im not sure I want to be a part of. the only problem is that their free weights only go up to 90lbs. should I keep looking or will this be enough to tide me over for now?
>>
>>36557310
Its a part of the rack thats unfinished, that bolt is tempered steel, little over 1/2 in thick, and 8 or so inches long, drilled into a 2x4, its used for the safety when benching when you rerack the bar, very solid. The board its drilled into along with the two 2x4's on either side is for bench pressing/shrugs etc. I havent drilled holes thru the 3 boards yet for locking pins that adjust for height up and down (adjustable up and down 14 inches depending on how tall your bench/seat is). And the whole thing is made from 2x4's and 2x6's, every board is wood glued/clamped, then screwed together, with each board's screws alternating 6in spacing so no screws are near each other. Still has some work to go til its complete but I can do normal 5x5 workout on it, I moved down to Florida but i'm going to be moving in a year and with buying a new house I didnt want to go gungho and buy all new gym equipment, maybe in a year i'll buy a legit power rack but this works just fine in the meantime and very sturdy. If youd like I could send some more pics, different angles if you want the basic design.
>>
>>36555766
>>36558119
Please post some more pics/angles, I'm very interested
>>
File: 1459207270885-1687692130.jpg (4 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
1459207270885-1687692130.jpg
4 MB, 2952x5248
>>36558152
Well because you said please. Here's the adjustable bench "bars," for a lack of a better word. Once I get a bigger drill bit I'm going to drill holes maybe every three inches vertically thru the 2x4s and get locking pins to keep them in place. And put another piece of metal on top and around the bolt so the bar won't damage the top of the 2x4
>>
File: 14592073985531872944144.jpg (4 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
14592073985531872944144.jpg
4 MB, 2952x5248
>>36558152
Side view, four layers of 2x4s and two 2x6s the two "towers" are very sturdy.
>>
File: rack.png (142 KB, 534x606) Image search: [Google]
rack.png
142 KB, 534x606
>>36558152
This was the original design I drew up, but had to cut out the spots in red because otherwise i'd have to back up too far to squat to clear the base of the rack. Here's someones design I based mine off of, then added some changes like the adjustable bench "stands."

http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html
>>
>>36558152
Different guy here. I have a similar Homemade squat rack, but instead of making big feet around the bottom I sunk the pain load bearing portion into 5 gallon buckets and filled with concrete. You can't slam the weights into it, have to set it down gently, but has a pretty small footprint compared to this.
>>
>>36521637
means it would disturb his neighbours if he had a gym at home
>>
>>36521406
How tall is a powercage? When the wifey and I buy a house in the next year my first major investment is going to be a home gym. Can't stand my gym.
>>
>>36559616
I guess its a give and take kinda deal, wider base I can be more rough with the weights but takes up more space. When i'm not lifting, or going to visit family I can unscrew the back boards and stack them up so I can have more space in the garage (between me and my friend we have 3 cars and a motorcycle, so space is an issue at times). When I went to design/build this thing I skimmed /fit/ and didnt see any posts about homemade racks, i'm kinda curious what other people do/build.
Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.