[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advice on quitting smoking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
File: smoking-cigarette-121113.jpg (71 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
smoking-cigarette-121113.jpg
71 KB, 800x534
Any advice on quitting smoking?
>>
>>36495209

Yes

Don't
>>
>>36495209
nicotine gum
>>
stop
>>
don't smoke your next cigarette, ever

just don't smoke it, don't have that "last one"

done
>>
>>36495209
in all honesty, do whatever you want.

if it's part of your happiness/routine, do it.
if it has given you more trouble than happiness, stop it.

the choice is yours.
i don't care.
>>
>>36495209
If you have a cigarette on you make sure it doesn't get near anything hot.
>>
>>36495209
Switch to chew if you really can't. At least you'll be able to breath. And girls will be disgusted which will further push you to quit that
>>
File: Sumit-Schematic.jpg (100 KB, 600x563) Image search: [Google]
Sumit-Schematic.jpg
100 KB, 600x563
vaping is the most reliable tapering off method. Get a weed vape and some good pipe tobacco
>>
Same thing as quitting anything ever. Just have the willpower to not do it. Maybe limit yourself to a couple cigs a day if you're a heavy smoker. Keep lowering the number until you're done.
>>
Vape for a while, then talk to doc about getting on Welbutrin or Chantax with nicotine gum. Do that for half a year. Then cut back on gum until you stop. It's still not a magic cure but the pills will basically re-wire your brain so you don't have withdrawls
>>
>>36495451
Should I go buy a fedora too, while I'm out buying a vape?
>>
>>36495246
Kek
This op
>>
>>36495209
I tried twice.
Weened the first time.

Cold turkey the second.

I haven't had a cigarette in 4 years. Cold turkey was it for me.

The first two weeks are the hardest. Just grit your teeth and get through them. It's downhill from there.

Drugs, patches, vapes, all of it just slows the process down.

It's like ripping off a bandaid, brah.
>>
>>36495209
Cold turkey is twice as successful as tapering off. Just don't be a pussy.
>>
>>36495209

Read about brain reward system, try to understand how addiction works.
>>
>>36495508

Not all of us chose to get addicted to nicotine senpai
>>
>mfw trying to quit bbt boyfriend smokes

Le sigh. Cigarettes are out of sight out of mind for me. In trying though.
>>
>>36496601

but you did choose to be a faggot
>>
File: image.gif (885 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
885 KB, 500x287
Ugh. It's the drinking that does me. I don't smoke sober anymore but when I drink, all bets are off. Even though it'll be a couple cigarettes in a month during a drunken spell, I can't help but feel dirty and ashamed the next morning. I know the next step is to not get drunk but there's only so much I can cut out before its Opus Dei levels of self mortification.
>>
>>36495209
Do what i did

Just quit cold turkey but dont tell anyone that way your not embarrassed if you end up smoking again

It took my wife about 5 weeks before she realised i quit

It also made me play less vidya because i couldnt chain smoke out of boredom
>>
there's this drug called Varenicline that really works if you're willing to invest money into quitting and are desperate

how it works is rather simple and effective. The day you start the cure, you pick a day when you will quit smoking,
which should be between 7th-14th day of the cure.

the cure starts with small doses and over the period of 2 weeks you build up to the full dosage.
By the time that you're taking full dosage its literally impossible for you to smoke without feeling really really sick,
you'll likely throw up if you smoke a whole cigarette at that point.

you won't feel nicotine cravings and you certainly wont feel like smoking out of boredom/pleasure
because of the drug causing you to sick up whenever you smoke.
You keep eating that drug until you've managed to rid of smoking, the cure can be taken for as long as needed.

however be warned, once the cure is over there is nothing expect your willpower stopping you from relapsing,
which is sadly what happened to me

on positive note though, the 2 month long cure costs less than 2 months worth of cigarettes,
unless you're some light weight faggot that smokes less than pack a day.
>>
>>36496601
Errrrrrrrr what. No one makes you buy the cigs and smoke them but yourself.
>>
>>36495209

Go on a vacation/ change your surroundings for 2 weeks and quit smoking. You need to break up your routine and get out of the autopilot mode where you smoke without even thinking
>>
I just started buying protein realised smoking was making buying that stuff pointless so I knew I couldn't smoke if I wanted the protein shakes
>>
>>36495209
>Source: experience of a multiple times successful quitter (meaning: off the fags for more than 3 months)

There's a lot of different ways to quit. The important thing is the following: don't just do it if you think "well, let's try it". Be positive that you want to stop smoking. The mindset is the most important.

As for ways to quit, here are a few possibilities which I have tried.
- Patches. They worked for me, although they did give me one hell of an itch for about half an hour after putting them on, and left a red spot on my skin for half a week after taking it off.
- Weaning off. Didn't have the willpower to do this.
- Cold turkey. It has worked for me in the past. Probably going back to this when I get another huge attack of breathlessness or smth and decide to stop smoking once again.

Some other advice:
- The worst for me was the first two weeks. It starts with low-level anxiety for me; not being able to sit still, feel like something is wrong and this vague pressure in my back/ shoulders. Because of this, I tend to not do coffee during this period, not to exacerbate the anxiety. It also helps with what follows: bad sleep. Constant dreaming and going in and out of sleep. It makes me really snappy, but rescheduling my days so that I have two or so more hours of sleep per day during this period does help relieve this.
- Take care if going out. You're quite liable to run into other smokers, and while drunk, you may do something you regret later on.
- Exercise. It helps with the anxiety and the bad sleep, as well as to regain lost lung function. Furthermore, it can reduce the weight gain which will more or less happen inevitably when quitting smoking.
- Weight gain: it will probably happen. It's not just due to the oral fixation which you get when quitting (mints/tooth picks/gum helps against this though), but also due to the decrease in metabolic rate which occurs when you stop smoking.

Otherwise: good speed man. You're making the right choice.
>>
I dropped about 60 usd on a decent vape and juice and it's worked wonders

as long as you don't use it out in public like a faggot then nobody gives a shit and I have received multiple compliments on how I smell since I switched
>>
Welbutrin is crazy good for this. I never knew how bad my cravings were until I didn't have them anymore. It's the difference between "I NEED A FUCKING CIGARETTE" and "a cigarette sounds nice right now." So talk to your doctor about it. I've quit both on and off it, and on is like easy mode. You need to stop right when you start the welbutrin though, if you keep smoking the cravings will come back.
>>
Use snus. It's really good
>>
>>36495209
Read "The Easy way to quit smoking" by allan carr. I got this advice here a few years ago and this was seriously the single best thing 4chan has ever done for me and I'm eternally greatful to the anon who postet it back then.
You won't believe how great that book is until you read it. Give it a try, you won't regret it.
>>
>>36497505
One last bit of advice:

You're an addict. Accept this. Just like a recovered heroin addict cannot have one more hit, you cannot have just one cigarette. Believe me: that path leads to "well, I could buy a pack and have one from time to time", which is a sure-fire way back into old bad habits.
>>
>>36497528
seconding switching to vape. if you're serious about quitting then you can quit cigs the first day vaping. then quitting vaping is easy as fuck bc all you need to do is drop the nicotine percentage down by 50% every couple months and you'll be done within 6 months. then put it away and forget about it. I see people smoking and vaping now and it disgusts me

unless i'm drunk.
>>
File: MarkGameRoom.jpg (65 KB, 640x654) Image search: [Google]
MarkGameRoom.jpg
65 KB, 640x654
>>36495209
Just stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them

Jesus Christ you literally have to do nothing how is it difficult hahahhahahahha
>>
>>36497598
Other stuff which I haven't tested myself, but others told me worked for them:
- Make lists to remind yourself. List the reasons why you're stopping, what the health advantages are, and coping mechanisms/alternative behaviours which you do when you feel like having a cigarette.
- Create negative associations with smoking. Either with help from drugs which make it intolerable, or make yourself sick of smoking by having way too many when you feel like having one.
- Scare yourself into quitting: have a lung function test or xray and see the damage it's doing to your body.
>>
File: cigars.jpg (321 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
cigars.jpg
321 KB, 1440x1080
>>36495209
Shit guys I think I'm on the verge of addiction to cigars.
>Smoked when drunk
>Repeat couple times
Now for a couple days it has started to occasionally pop in to my head that I should go buy some.
Wat do.
>>
>>36497559
Have fun with your rotten gums.
>>
>>36495209
I was sick for 2 weeks, couldn't smoke
simply stopped after that and if I crave a cigarette I just use snuff
>>
>start smoking at 14
>stop smoking at like 17 cold turkey

find a better vice and replace it with that if you cant
>>
File: vapenationbreh.png (113 KB, 237x266) Image search: [Google]
vapenationbreh.png
113 KB, 237x266
>>36495451
I approve this message bra
>>
>>36495209
Yeah just don't smoke. Worked for me.
>>
>>36495236
This guy knows what's up
>>
>>36495209

nicotine patches, try them! 1 1/2 years smoke free, dont miss anything.. i smoked a lot!
>>
should i start if i want to die but am too pussy to do so? i literally want what morrissey was joking about in these lyrics: "I smoke 'cause I'm hoping for an Early death And I need to cling to something!"

god i hate morrissey, whiny cunt
>>
>>36495209
1. realise addiction is an illusion
2. quit smoking
3.???
4. die of lung cancer cause it was already too late
>>
>>36495209
Allen Carr - Easyway to stop smoking.pdf
>>
I really don't understand niccotine addiction

I tried smoking, back when I was 18

>smoked a pack every two days for over a month because I was bored
>stopped buying cigs because of no money
>didn't feel anything

now

>dip every day for like half a year cuz military life
>random days where I'll be in the field with no dip
>still don't feel a thing, maybe slight need of a buzz

I don't get it. Most times I think people are weak willed
>>
>>36498002
>addiction is an illusion
everyone with a brain will beg to differ
>>
>>36498055
it's the same as not reaching your hand into the candy bowl cause you know it's gonna fuck up your teeth

grow the fuck up
>>
>>36498049
Yeah, it's as easy for a person that have been smoking 2 packs a day for 20 years to quit smoking as it was for you, who smoked a pack every other day for a WHOLE month. Jesus fuck you're retarded.
>>
>>36495451
Vaping, the cringiest thing since MLP
>>
>>36498084
how's your low iq treating you otherwise?
>>
I smoked almost a pack a day for 7 years and I quit cold turkey 4 weeks ago op. It sucks balls but it needs to be done. Stop being a pussy and just do it. I
>>
Just stop. You'll notice how it effects your exercising after 2-3 weeks which Is usually a great motivator to stay off cigs.

Don't start again, it's easier to relapse than many think, but if you do don't worry too much about it and just work towards stopping again as soon as you want to. On/off attempts and quitting over time tend to highlight how bad it is for you because memories of life without the coughing, shortness of breath and general lethargy are much more recent in your mind.
>>
>>36498113
>Smoked a pack and half a day for 10 years
>quit smoking cold turkey
>start smoking again 2 years later

Keep strong, anon.
>>
>>36497773
Do it faget.
>>
>>36498103
You can be discreet about it. Nicotine is amazing for motor skill buffs and cognitive benefits. If you use caffeine having another tool in the box is not a wrong.
>>
>>36498131
This. The first 4 weeks or so are hard. Then you forget it even exists.
>>
File: 1388175739741.gif (232 KB, 266x199) Image search: [Google]
1388175739741.gif
232 KB, 266x199
>>36498055
>>36498111
oh wait sorry i thought you were actually serious for a second there, nevermind carry on with your blatant shitposting anon
>>
>>36498148
said the guy who thinks addictions aren't real

good job on fucking it all up, including damage control bro
>>
>>36498049
wow a whole month, lol
>>
File: Implying.png (14 KB, 636x440) Image search: [Google]
Implying.png
14 KB, 636x440
>>36498167
But they're not real

You have a problem, and the first step to stop shitposting is to not press the Submit button, anon.
>>
1. stop
2. nicotine gum*
3. nicotine patches*
4. vaping*
5. pot
*decreasing doses over time
>>
>>36495209

champix. trust me

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/19045
>>
>>36495209
I went through a smoking phase, it was short lived.

I just smelt horrible, and my teeth were always yellowed after smoking.
I don't get the appeal honestly.

I guess it's a social thing? but the only people I ever see smoking are degenerates.
>>
>>36497584
Allan carr pls go
>>
>>36496650
>Le sigh.
>Le
>>
>>36498286
It is a really idiot proof way to make social gains, asking for a lighters didn't just become a classic opener.
>>
>>36495236
Yes. Whenever I go on holiday I inevitably smoke, and I was a daily smoker for 5 years. I always make sure I have at least 3 days off work before I quit cold turkey, after that you can go for as long as you like without a cigarette.
>>
>>36495209
Look at your bank account everytime you buy a pack. Thats enough reason to stop. And btw you smell like shit but no one has the balls to tell you.
>>
>>36495209
Don't put it off, no 'oh I'll do it Monday', or 'after this stressful thing I have to do'.
You gotta just decide to do it and commit. Use a nicotine substitute if you need to. I used patches for 2 weeks and never looked back.
I was irritable, but I didn't crave smokes.
I did, however, crave sugary carbs for some reason. Like I wanted to devour stacks of waffles smothered in fruity toppings and whipped cream.
I kept track of how long I had gone w/o a smoke on my calendar, so I could look at it to keep in mind how long I've lasted.
Now I don't even need to. I've been smoke free for over a month, and it's done. I don't care about smoking, I have no cravings, I can breathe better, I can taste and smell better, not to mention that I have more money now.
Best thing I ever did.
God speed brothers.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.