[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is fasting legit? doesnt it conflict with everything we hear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2
is fasting legit?
doesnt it conflict with everything we hear about how important breakfast is?
>>
I think humans are evolved to be fast and famine animals so it wouldn't surprise me if having a week long fast once a year was healthier than 3 meals a day for the whole year.

I also remember reading somewhere that it takes 64 hours or something like that before the body starts to react to not having eaten. I'm not sure if I misunderstood what I was reading, though.
>>
>>36278286
*feast and famine.
>>
>>36276586
>everything we hear about how important breakfast is?
Thats for no-spine normies that will eat candy all day long if they didn't have breakfast. Purely psychological, nothing to do with what is best for your body.
>>
>>36278308
Sauce? If it's true I'll stop having breakfast like tomorrow, I eat it because I have to but I could get rid of it easily, I don't crave anything.
>>
Fasting has no benefit apart from maybe training your discipline and reducing cravings. Long fasting periods (3+days) are considered to pose health risks, but fasting for a day won't kill you, it won't magically remove all the fat either
>>
>>36278321
well how about trying it yourself
Intermittent Fasting is great for cutting because it helps you manage hunger more easily.
i tried it last year and started a cut with it just yesterday, hop on the wagon bruh
>>
I do IF when I want to cut down weight, mostly because it's easy for me to manage meals, cals etc.
>>
>>36276586
>muh breakfast

Is a meme created by the wheat and corn mafia. They have to get people to eat their shit tier sponge-bread and muh reinforced! cereals somehow.
>>
>>36278330
Right

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/

http://news.yale.edu/2015/02/16/anti-inflammatory-mechanism-dieting-and-fasting-revealed

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/

http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-2863(04)00261-X/abstract
>>
>>36278321
easiest way to cut is skipping breakfast or just having a small one (apple or banana).

I feel less like eating at noon if I haven't had that much and I function pretty much the same.
>>
>>36279251
>cherry picked studies
Good job. You should read on GH being fucking useless for the purposes of muscle growth and even damaging in adult males. Second link says nothing about the sample group and throws a shitload of factors into the mix - fasting, exercises at high intensity, caloric restriction.
>>
>>36279291
Your claim was zero benifit, when more and more studies are starting to suggest there are some, especially brain related.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/rej.2014.1624
The gene in question - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIRT3
>>
>>36279387
>posts another paper on calorie restriction
You do realise that IF has nothing in fuck to do with restricting calories, right? A lot of people bulk with IF
>>
>>36279392
>Because caloric restriction is not sustainable long term for most humans, we investigated an alternative dietary approach, intermittent fasting (IF)

The study was on intermittent fasting, but I guess you didn't read shit.
>>
>>36278321
Do it. Breakfast being important was literally made by the cereal companies.
>>
>>36279418
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
To help with a source as well.
>>
>>36276586
>doesnt it conflict with everything we hear about how important breakfast is?

Oh, look, normie fitness advice is bad, half-true, or straight out wrong.

What a surprise.
>>
It's good for cutting for bigger meals, but if you maintain/bulk on 3-4k it's useless, not only that IDC what you say, too much destroys your metabolism. Kinobody fasted over 20 hours each day and now bulks on 2,700 calories lmao. The people with the best metabolisms eat regular meals
>>
>>36279474
Hello https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
>>
I think from a purely psychological point of view everybody should try to follow a fasting protocol for at least a couple months just to learn how easy it is to live without stuffing your face with icrecream all the time. I no longer fast (at least strictly) but self-control gains I got from that experience help me in every day diet
>>
>>36279521
Nothing more real than going 2 days without food and then looking back how "hungry" you were, or other people are without food for 4 hours.
You realise how pathetic it really is, and how many people are slaves to their own desire, never questioning it.
>>
>>36279486
Okay? So starving yourself like kinobody helps your metabolism?
>>
>>36279541
It's not starving when you get the caloris you need at the end of the day, humans dont fucking starve until weeks without food.
>>
There's literally no reason for breakfast to be a rule.

Have it if it helps you control your appetite. Don't have it if it doesn't help you.

I only eat for 3 hours every day, all year long and I'm never hungry and on a happy stomach.
>>
>>36276586
breakfast is a meme.
>>
>>36279560
Deprive yourself of food over 20 hours each day for months and see how your body thanks you
>>
>>36279650
Not the guy you're replying to, but I do it literally all year long for 20-21 hours a day and there's no problem.

Approaches to appetite control are personal. You wouldn't be able to do it. That says nothing about another person.
>>
>>36279667
Yeah and what's your mantainance calories?
>>
>>36278330
Fasting for a day regularly increased insulin sensitivity and generally reduces markets of metabolic disease. More importantly, long calorie restrictive cuts cause hormonal adaptations when not interspersed with refeeds, so fasting for body composition is essentially GOAT
>>
>>36276586

OP pic, that fucking jaw holy shit
>>
>>36279291
>muh armchair scientific journal criticisms

At least you didn't bitch about the sample size I guess
>>
>>36279696
Why?

Once again, approaches to appetite control are personal. Just because you would feel "starving" doesn't mean another person would. If you feel that way, eat earlier. There's still no reason breakfast should be a rule for everyone. Give me a specific reason if you think it should. Asking me what my caloric numbers are just makes it seem like you're proving my point that it's about personal management.
>>
>>36279717
Because you don't eat even near 3k calories a day, that's why. Fasting is fine for cutting on 2,500 cals and under
>>
lmao guys do whatever works for you, or you feel most comfortable with.

1:
People say you dont need breakfast or whatever.

Yeah okay, but if i dont eat breakfast i lose too much weight.

So i continue to eat breakfast, because its best for me.

Simple as that.

2:

You are fat and you want to lose weight.

You stop eating breakfast, and you have no problems with it. No hunger, you still feel good.

Guess what? THEN GO AHEAD AND JUST DO IT.
3:

You are fat and you want to lose weight.

You stop eating breakfast, you get hungry as fuck, you feel shit and have no energy.

Then start eating breakfast and find another way.

SIMPLE AS THAT.
>>
>>36279723
Your entire post reads like someone saying what he'd personally feel like is manageable and unmanageable, which is my point.

You don't have a single source to back up what numbers fasting isn't fine for.

You're just speaking to what you would think is inconceivable in working for your personal appetite.
>>
>>36279737
This.

What don't people get? It's just about personal appetite control. There's no one-sized rule.
>>
>>36276586
>water fasted for 36 hours
>vomitted large quantities of bile

Why
>>
I already do 18/6 IF, and I was thinking...
>fasting for one day sometimes
What about muh protons? Can I take some whey protein during a fasting day or would it be the same as eating some lean meat after all?
I'm curious but I'm not sure I should try fasting a full day sometimes
>>
>>36279739
I eat 4k calories a day, should I fast? Lmao, that's too much food for 2 meals, 2,500 and under is poverty calories
>>
>>36279813
>should I fast?
I've posted at least 4 times in this thread that it's about personal appetite control. Do you want me to go link to each of my posts?

If it wouldn't work for you, like I have said several times, don't do it.

Because it may not work for you, that doesn't make it a rule for everyone.

Every one of your posts is just begging me to say x number is impossible to do on IF. Do you simply not understand people's appetites work in different ways? Do it if it works for you; don't if it wouldn't.

In the end, there's still literally no reason that breakfast should be a rule for everyone.
>>
>>36279650
That's literally what i've been doing since january 7th, 2015.
>>
>>36279779
Just mimick the 5/2 diet while doing IF everyday, so whenever you want to "fast" limit those daily calories to 500, and get it through proteins and fats.
>>
>>36279739
>personal appetite
this isn't about appetite, some of us need to eat large amounts of food and it's harder to do that in a short space of time.
>>
>>36279924
IF is just a method, though. If you find it hard to eat 3k+ in 2-3 meals, then there's no point for you to do IF.
>>
>>36279924
Then don't eat during a condensed window.

Are you going to pretend everyone who wants to eat big in a condensed window of time couldn't do it? That's the personal part. Just because you wouldn't find it helpful doesn't mean others wouldn't.
>>
>>36279813
I can guarantee you're a fatfuck who fell for the bulking meme

Really, there's no way you aren't overweight.
>>
>>36276586
Breakfast is not important. Unless you think getting or staying fat is important.
>>
>>36276586
idk about fasting but that picture sure is making me bulimic
>>
>>36279972
fatass detected
>>
>>36279779
Why 18/6 when it's found that any increase of HGH past 16 is neglible? You're doing it wrong
>>
>>36279993
Mental gains.
>>
>>36279932
I haven't had much success with it so far but I haven't been rigourous about it. I thought there were advantages to doing it if you could, though. Also I'd like to be able to forget about food for most of the day but the only times I've added a lot of weight is when I eat "unhealthy" or when I eat all day.

>>36279938
well, eating big is relative - but it certainly makes it harder and it's not a matter of appetite or self-control that's all I was saying. There must be an upper limit on how much the digestive system can even process in that time, and anyone who is larger or who uses more energy for whatever reason (more brain activity, nervousness etc.) will have a harder time fitting it in. If it is somehow helpful then there's a question at least for me of how to reconcile it with a higher intake, and it may be more complicated than "you have to want it bad enough".
>>
>>36280005
I feel like whatever eating pattern you chose should do two things. It should help your goal (any pattern can do this, to be fair) but most imporantly it should feel effortless and natural.

IF feels natural for me despite being a life long breakfast eater, so if you're having trouble with it there's no need to persue it.
>>
>>36276586
Why the fuck is fasting so trendy now? Ive been seeing it a lot in the youtube fitness community lately also.
>humans used to fast so we do it too hurr durr natural
I expected this shit from some marathon runner vegan faggot, but not from you /fit/, not from you.
>>
How do you pepole fast? do you not have jobs?
>>
>>36280072
I have a lunch break and I eat then? The 8 hours of sleep is included in the fasting window. Stop eating at 8pm sleep wake up have some coffee, drink some water ( not even hungry this entire time) 12pm-2pm break fast.
>>
>>36280072
They're a bunch of cookie cutters with cookie cutter diets what do you expect.
>>
>>36280072
work or school is perfect for keeping your mind off food
when you get back home you can eat and go to bed feeling full even if you're cutting
what's not to like about IF?
it's like a cheat code for cutting
>>
>>36280035
It is what feels natural to me, though - the issue is that what feels natural to me (IF) is not helping me to add weight. What adds weight is the worst sort of eating for me in terms of what I'm eating and when I'm eating it, so I oscillate from eating this unnatural way for as long as I'm able to (force-feeding) and adding some mass and then wanting to eat more naturally again and losing it all as a result. I'm hoping there's some way around it although at the moment I don't know what that is. I know my appetite is suppressed so un-suppressing it might be the way forward.
>>
>>36280072
>do you not have jobs?

He asked, on 4gag.

r/fitness is that way
>>
>>36279541
>not eating for less than a day
>MUH STARVATION MODE
>>
>>36280070
Definition of a hipster right here.
>>
>>36280072
Unless you work physical labour, going for 16 hours without food is a fucking joke. Stop eating at 7pm, start at 11am.
>>
>>36279737
That's a really big post for something you could've explained in 2 sentences tbqh
>>
>>36279959
Nice post mom
>>
>>36280174
I had to force feed myself as well the first year, but eventually your stomach adjusts and you'll have a way easier time eating big portions/often. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>36280070
If it works then obviously people are going to do it you fucking sperg
>>
>>36279410
>Because caloric restriction is not sustainable long term for most humans
In other words, a study on how to entice fatties to stop shoving so much food down their faces. The caloric restriction is clearly a confounding factor against showing the benefits of IF alone.
>>
alright this got my interest, but i got a question

say i wanna do a 23/1 IF, so only eat dinner every day. does it matter what food you eat before going to bed? because i've heard the that, if on a cut, you should not eat slow digestible carbs like rice & potatoes before going to bed. is this bro science?
>>
It works for me.

I carb back-load most nights.

Eat last meal around 8PM
Wake up around 8AM next day.
Go to gym by 10
Eat first meal of the day around 12
First substantial carbs around 4-5
Repeat
>>
Is IF just fancy-talk for "skipping breakfast and taking a walk"?
>>
It definitely does different stuff than 6 small portions a day. with moderate exercise
On This program I lose fat on my extremities first.

I've done IF twice for 6 weeks at a time and I notice my love handles and gut go first with it, and extremities much slower.
>>
>>36279993
>muh HGH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwXIgnmAOI
>>
>>36280303
Do you even know what caloric restriction is? It's eating under maintance, everyday, every week and every year, while making sure not get nutrient deficiency.
>>
>>36280762
Yes, and that is perfectly sustainable for months and years for most people, "people" being the average amerifat.
>>
>>36280465
Ergo doing deficit.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.