[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Femanon here, I feel like a land whale and most of you lovely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 475x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 475x310
Femanon here,

I feel like a land whale and most of you lovely people would agree with me, but I can't lose weight.

~1600 calories a day
Jog 5 days a week for 40 mins
Can't afford gym (student)
History of anorexia/bulimia which probably killed my metabolism (my TSH is low)
Blood tests are fine otherwise but slightly high blood pressure
5 foot 5, 155 pounds

Should I increase exercise, if so, what is normal/healthy? Any suggestions for non-gym exercises?

Pic related it's me
>>
>>36082764
Some scientists published a paper about that topic a while ago.
They tried to increase metabolism of people who fucked up by eating to little and shitty.
They made a few guidelines:
Eat 3-5 meals a day.
Every meal contains Protein and complex carbs.
Dont forget to drink water etc. Basic shit. Just google it, it might help.
>>
File: 1455928178190.jpg (10 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
1455928178190.jpg
10 KB, 277x182
>>36082764
>femanon here
>>
>>36082855
not /b/
>>
>>36082764
The amount of broscience/momscience in your thread LOL
Eat less, slut
>>
>>36082764
1600 kcal could be too less if you really go jogging five times a week.
>>
File: 1452486879961.png (221 KB, 635x457) Image search: [Google]
1452486879961.png
221 KB, 635x457
>>36082855
do you really think gender matters when in comes to landwhales having tits
>>
>>36082870
dont know if you are OP, but slut, do we have to spell it out for you? T I T S O R G T F O
>>
>>36082764
>history of anorexia/bulimia which probably killed my metabolism (my TSH is low)
>killed my metabolism
Sigh
>>
You have a BMR of around 1500.
Cardio + other shit = maybe 2000kcals TDEE
-500 kcals a day.
1 lbs of fat = 3500 kcals
1 lbs a week.

IT TAKES YOU A MONTH TO GET TO 151 LBS.
Shit doesnt happen over night sweety
>>
>>36082839

OP here, Seems legit, remember anything about which institution published the findings or whatever?

Sounds like I'd end up eating more that way, but whatever works. Maybe more exercise would get move that along too, I just wish I had more variation.
>>
>>36082995
No wasn't OP
>>
>>36082994

Tits are tits bro
>>
>>36082764
Progress takes time, like >>36083039 says.

Also, how long have you been doing this routine?
How is your iodine intake?
>>
>>36083039

OP here,
This is true but I've been stuck here for months and I just don't understand what I'm missing
>>
>>36083115

OP here
I did consider that actually!
I don't take iodine supplements or anything but the minimal salt I have is the pink, iodine-rich shit, so I assume it's fine?

And I've been with this diet/exercise since at least October and I haven't moved :/
>>
>>36083149

* as in my weight hasn't moved
>>
>>36083157
Not any of the guys who posted previously, but you're overestimating your expenditure and/or underestimating your intake and it's that fucking simple.
>>
>>36082764
OP, are you sure you're getting 1600cal a day, and don't just THINK you are...?

Little things throughout the day add up really really fast.
>>
>>36083335
>>36083386

Part of my anorexia was obsessively and compulsively counting calories, so I'm at least confident of that.
Not sure what I'm burning though
>>
>>36082764
OP I am in same situation.
your BMR is probably a couple hundred cals lower than calculators put it at. You have to cut at 1200 or less cals. fuck 1600 is near my TDEE, no wonder you aren't losing. Also 155 at 5'5 is fat, you don't deserve 1600 cals
>>
>>36082855
Fuck off
>>
>>36082764
>I can't lose weight
>~1600 calories a day
Yeah, no.
>>
>>36083439
>Not sure what I'm burning though
That's exactly what I guessed: overestimating what you burn.

Jogging burns fuck-all. You don't do nearly enough exercise to warrant 1600 cals a day.

Go to 1200-1300.
>>
Post body.
>>
>>36083439
Why do people come here wondering why they don't lose weight when they don't have a clue how much they're expending?

FFS
>>
>>36082764
if you're eating at a deficit and not losing weight, you're probably not counting your calories right

exercise-wise, consider adding in some resistance training. there are considerable benefits to that even for females as outlined in the sticky

if you dont have a gym you can do just fine with a bodyweight routine
>>
So, you gonna post body, OP?
>>
>>36083529
>you're probably not counting your calories right
In her case, she's overestimating TDEE probably.

Someone else calculated a BMR of 1500 for her. Not sure if that's accurate (can't be bothered), but assuming she's pretty much sedentary just to be on the safe side of calcs, jogging for 40 mins is pathetic and I'll bet she's burning less than 200 cals doing that.

TL;DR she's probably eating around the same cals as her TDEE.

It's time to intensify the exercise and/or lower cals, OP
>>
>>36083458

Damn, but then once the weight is lost does that assume my BMR to maintain? 1200-1500 cal diet for life ?

>>36083482
>>36083506

Was hoping to avoid calculating expenditure and just playing it by ear, so as to not become to obsessive and just fall into the eating disorder again.
>>
Bullshit, you are not eating 1600 calories and a land whale, fucking choose one.
Either your over exagerating, your just counting flat out wrong, or a combination of both
>>
>>36083581
>Damn, but then once the weight is lost does that assume my BMR to maintain? 1200-1500 cal diet for life ?
No. Weight goes down when you eat at a deficit, but you maintain weight by eating at maintenance. Meaning, eating about as much as you spend daily.

READ THE FUCKING STICKY
>>
>>36083007
What they mean by that's is she starved her body, ate its own muscle tissue, and now her tdee is shit because she destroyed her muscle mass.
If you have too high of a calorie deficit, the body will take the needed energy from things other than fat such as muscles and organs. You do this for a while and your body eats a good portion of its own muscle and you eat up with a relativity high bf%. Muscle Burns more calories than fat just be existing, take away the muscle and your burn a lot less calories.
Your metabolism does change based on many variables
>>
>>36083529
Resistance sounds like a good idea, cheers

>>36083578
And yeah increase exercise is what I assumed, but by how much is normal/healthy and realistically maintainable?
>>
>>36083074
You need to rebuild the muscle you destroyed by starving yourself. Build muscle=burn more calories.
>>
>>36082839
Post source, please. Unless it's acceptable to say "do this, scientists say so" without one here, don't know, new to /fit/.

>>36082764
OP, consider this - >>36083529
>if you're eating at a deficit and not losing weight, you're probably not counting your calories right
The simplest, easiest thing to do is to quantify and write down EVERYTHING you put in your mouth (I'm talking weighing the sugar you put in your morning coffee). I've done this for ~1.5 years and it's a pain in the ass, but you'll immediately see what you're missing - I would suspect you're eating more than you think, and with an efficient metabolism even 200Kk is too much. I would say go down further to ~1400 if you can do it, scale yourself on a weekly basis, and check your progress after a month.
>>
>>36082994
that made me giggle
>>
>>36083598

I'm not a tard I understand body mechanics, what I mean to ask is for you to clarify. I'll rephrase; If my BMR is lower than the average person, what is a realistic maintainence intake?

>>36083599

Thank you

>>36083593
Well I don't know what you consider a land whale but I'm 155 pounds and I'm confident of 1600 a day
>>
>>36083619

Realistic, makes sense, I like it.
Suggestions for non-gym resistance training though? I presume Google would have something in any case

>>36083622

Yeah I really wanted a source for that one, but sounds logical.
And yeah I'm going to have to lower my intake.

Also a worthy note might be that I still have a bit of the bulimia habit of not having breakfast and my intake being mostly in the second half of the day. Intake vs output makes sense but perhaps that is having an affect.
>>
>>36083755
>non-gym resistance training

Literally third-world-workout. Pushups, squats, etc.
>>
>>36082764
SYNTHROID.
>>
>>36083773

Thanks man
>>
>>36083755
If you need weights for exercises or jogging with, my poor-man's way was to fill up empty plastic bottles with water (or sand). I had to do physiotherapy for a couple months for my knee, so I opted for filling up a sock with pebbles and rocks, weighed to what I needed for my exercises and tie the loose ends together or with some string. Mind you I was dirt-poor and couldn't even afford proper food so your millage may vary.
>>
>>36083704
>I'm not a tard I understand body mechanics, what I mean to ask is for you to clarify. I'll rephrase; If my BMR is lower than the average person, what is a realistic maintainence intake?
Tell me what you want your final weight to be and I'll tell you what your maintenance would be at age 25 and at age 50.
>>
>>36083818
My gf sucks as resistance training, so I guess I'll expand upon what I meant.

You ain't got no money, so maybe you can find a park or some sort of place with exercise equipment. The park near me has monkeybars and a pull-up bar. Maybe google if there are any in your area nearby. You could jog to the park, work out there, and jog back to your apartment.

Squats will be the easiest part for you, since your muscles are shot to shit. Doing squats PROPERLY will probably be harder. Do as many squats as you can first, then see where you fail. If you don't want to do that, just do 10. Proper form is key. You'll probably fall on your ass a couple times, but it's whatever.
Push ups will be more difficult for you. Try to do 5 girl push ups first, and work your way do doing at least 1 proper push up. Blah blah sexist comment whatever but you get my meaning.
They may also have something there to dip (triceps). Try it out and see if you can do any at all. You should try to go at least 90 degrees.
Pull-ups will be impossible for you. I doubt you can even do one CrOsSfIt PuLlUp. My suggestion is to try anyways. Since you're weak as worms, you won't be able to, but you should still practice every time you go.

I don't know if there's anything else really. If you don't give a shit what people see you do, climb trees in the park. It works everything out.
>>
>>36082764
Well lets put it this way
at 5'5'' and 160, if you were eating 1600kcals and jogging 40 minutes, you would be losing weight.

So your original statement is simply flawed, or an outright lie
>>
>>36083858

I'd be happy at 130 to be honest

>>36083935

Nah that comment wasn't even sexist, I really appreciate the help

>>36083847

Haha yeah I'm probably that poor too, those are good ideas :)
>>
>>36083935
>My gf sucks as resistance training,
kek
>>
>>36084161
Has it finally happened? Have I gotten too old for /fit/? For 4chan?
>>
Med student who has been doing fitness for years here, let me add to the good points made by others already.

1) Weight loss at its core is just energy burnt vs energy intake (food/drinks). So if you are not losing weight after a prolonged period (say 1-2 weeks, since weight fluctuates), then your intake is not lower than your energy spent. It really is that simple.

2) There are obviously factors that would affect your energy in take number as well as your energy burnt per day. Let me break it down:

a) Examine your energy in take. You seem very confident that you are intaking exactly 1600 calories, but I would double check this. Make sure to be as accurate as possible, since you are not making progress.

b) Let's now talk about your energy spent. It's possible that your previous lifestyle has done a huge damage on your metabolism, but it's not very likely that the damage is as big as you think. If you are not making progress, however, then just reduce your estimated energy spent per day, and aim for a lower number.
So if you thought you were burning 1700 calores per day and have been eating at 1600 with no progress, then perhaps you are actually burning 1600 per day. In take 1550 worth of calories and track your progress for a few weeks would make a huge difference.

c) You can also look into things that would directly increase your energy expenditures. Weightlifting that focuses on building muscle with an acceptable rep range can go a long way towards burning more calories per day. This is due to the fact that you are burning potentially more calories during excercise, burning more calories as your body is trying to repair the muscles, and raising your BMR on rest days as well. I know you said that you don't have access to a gym, but there are plenty of exercises that would require little to no gym equipment that you can find for a beginner.

tl;dr: It is literally just calories intake - calories burnt. Take a closer look at both values.
>>
>>36082764
I was anorexic when I was younger, you want to add things to increase your thyroid function, like iodine-rich foods, but your metabolism isn't permanently damaged, but it will increase as you build muscle mass, which you will from exercises.

Eat small meals, 4 meals a day, and measure EVERY serving, and count EVERY food you eat, nothing is a "freebie"

Also 1600 at 5' is too much for a cut, I recommend around 1200, I'm 4'10 and maintain at 1300, so 1600 is probably right around your maintenance.

Non-gym exercises are super easy to find, I suggest this youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWmIgfMkVvcXbvyTKEyRZIw

But just basic bodyweight like planks, squats, lunges, pushups, pullups if you can do them.

If you can find something heavy in your home to use for squats, etc that will help, does your university not have a gym? Most have at least a few free weights you can use.

Soy sauce has almost no calories and adds iodine to your diet, fyi.
>>
>>36083622
>write down EVERYTHING you put in your mouth
This. Also weigh yourself at the same time every day and write that down. After about a month, you'll know what your real TDEE is. I thought I was eating 1900 calories a day thinking my TDEE was 2800, but based on my weightloss after almost 2 months, I was only eating at a 650-700 deficit.
>>
>femanon here
>guaranteed replies even though it's a shitty thread warranting just a sticky response
Like clockwork.
>>
>>36084406
>being mean to women

faggot, she deserves special treatment. why dont you fuck off?
>>
>>36084299

Yeah a lot of responses are pretty obvious input/output explanations, I think what I'm lacking is a perception on exactly how abnormal my metabolism is. I just don't want to get to a point where I'm being too restrictive or exercising so much that I have no time for my research (biochem grad).
I appreciate your suggestions! I think I just needed exercise options and a grasp of how much I should be doing.
And no, my uni doesn't unfortunately, I'm in Australia so that may be different.
>>
>>36083581
You can calculate your maintenance once you lose the weight, it's very easy. You'll likely be right around 1400-1500 maintenance once it's lost, if you continue exercising.

It's really not that hard, as I said earlier, my maintenance is 1300, it's not too hard. I just eat a lot of vegetables, which fill me up and have few calories, and lean proteins like salmon and tuna. I don't eat bread except tortillas with hummus as my lunchtime "sandwich" with baked vegetables. Salad with vinegar and a tiny bit of oil, NO dressing, and a few walnut bits is a really common meal for me, as is salmon with brussel sprouts and 1/4 cup of rice with a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt. Easy, simple meals consisting of high-fiber, low-starch, low-calorie vegetables and lean proteins with very little carbs and sugars are key when maintaining your weight as a petite woman. We simply don't need and can't handle a huge amount of calories.
It's not that difficult, you just have to make sure not to eat super calorie-dense foods and trash foods like sweets, bread, salad dressing, fast food, etc.

You're a 5' woman, you shouldn't be eating more than 1500 calories a day unless you're running marathons - not a 40 minute jog either, a marathon.

Calorie restriction to maintain a healthy weight is not the same as being anorexic, no matter what fatties tell you. As long as you actually calculate a healthy weight range, staying in the 18-22% body fat range, you'll be fine.
At that point, instead of obsessing about losing, you can obsess about maintaining.
>>
>>36082764
>killed my metabolism

stop it
>>
>>36084631
> abnormal my metabolism is
https://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
>>
>>36083581
>eating disorder
You have an eating disorder. You are overweight because of it. Disordered eating works both ways. Carefully monitoring your intake and expenditures is not going to cause an eating disorder, it will mitigate the effects of the one you already have.
>>
Calories in - Calories out. If you're doing this and you're not losing weight, then somehow you are incorrectly calculating one (or both) of those numbers.

"Calories out" is, to be fair, more difficult to pin down accurately. The common estimate for an average adult woman is 1500 calories a day, but this can vary widely from person to person.
>>
>>36084681

Yeah I'm happy with whatever as long as I'm able to maintain a healthy weight.
There's too many feminazis in my friend circle who think that just because I had an eating disorder, the second I start eating salad I'm relapsing.
But I guess you're right about that, if I take the advice of land whales, I'll stay a land whale
>>
>>36084804

I think the concern is that restrictive behaviour, if overdone, would result in a relapse of my anorexia/bulimia
>>
>>36082764
>probably killed my metabolism (my TSH is low)

Isnt a low TSH indicative of hyperthyroidism, which should cause you to be rather on the slimmer side?

Besides that, you should try HIIT when jogging if you aren't doing that already.
>>
>>36084852
If they say you're being anorexic for eating a salad just say "oh, I'm trying to up my vitamin A/Vitamin C/ whatever content for my thyroid/immune system/bullshit"

Or, alternatively say "I'm actually worried about your overeating disorder, maybe you should have a salad too" and drop them if they don't want you to succeed.

Salad isn't a bad word, and I'm ashamed of the fact that it has become one.
>>
>>36084917

Thyroid stimulating hormone?
I could have the wrong hormone, but my gp said I was borderline hypothyroidism.

I was using HIIT but saw no results after 6-8 weeks so tried just solid jogging/running. How validated would you say HIIT is within scientific research?
>>
>>36084981

Haha yeah. It's almost as if me being a fattie too makes them feel better about themselves
>>
>>36085070
So stop it. Leave them behind, you can't succeed if people are holding you back.
>>
>>36085029
Very validated. Check out tabata exercise. Definitely works for me.
Also, what's your TSH serum level? If he says you're borderline having hypothyroidism, he must have tested your T3 and T4 levels as well to determine that. If not, you should definitely get those tested.
>>
>>36085116

I know, so many women are toxic though

>>36085164

Yeah sweet I'll get back into it
Umm I'm not home at the moment so they're not on hand but yeah, he would have done those too
>>
>>36082764
lower the calories more then read the sticky
why hasnt anyone said this already
>>
>>36082764
basically you're not burning more calories than you eat, either reduce your calorie intake or increase your cardio; IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

here are some tips for you:

eat two meals one in the morning and one in the noon as that will give you enough energy to get through the day

completely avoid carbs (eat only lean protein and vegetables with some olive oil with your veggies)
>>
>>36082764
Hey OP, femanon with similar stats and circumstance here hmu if you need motivation and help. Will post snapchat if you're interested
>>
Everybody here is full of shit

Eat less, and eat stuff that keeps you full
>>
>>36082764

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning every day, and put that in a google doc with the date. I think I read somewhere that if you stick with this, over time you will lower your weight.

You might also look up "reverse dieting". It's about eating in a way that'll increase your metabolism optimally.
>>
Eat 200kcal less.
>>
eat whole clean foods
and make sure you are in a caloric deficit
and no you cant "damage" your metabolism.
>>
>>36084631
it's not gonna be that abnormal. Every anorexic thinks this but its bs. At most you will burn like 150 calories less than someone of your height/weight due to low muscle mass.
>>
File: 1455653059583.jpg (1 MB, 2181x2905) Image search: [Google]
1455653059583.jpg
1 MB, 2181x2905
Eat less, fagget

your metabolism will increase if you keep running.

The better your fitness, higher your metabolism.

post tits
>>
Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.