[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Protein and Cancer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1441732586057.gif (2 MB, 442x640) Image search: [Google]
1441732586057.gif
2 MB, 442x640
From the recent Time magazine:

>"If you are eating enough calories, it's really hard to not get enough protein,"... Indeed, the Institute of Medicine recommends 56 grams of protein per day for men and 46 grams for women, while federal data suggests that men eat an average of 99 grams a day and women 68... Longo's research shows that cancer risks increase nearly 400% among Americans who get 20% or more of their daily calories from protein, compared to with those who restrick their protein intake to 10%... experts agree that counting protein (and loading up on it in supplement form) is unneccesary

Bulking requires 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, and I go above that and eat ~150 grams a day. Am I getting bullshit'd? What's the say on this?
>>
>>35467397

>americans

they only mention the protein and dont even mention the fat, shitty carbs etc

lol
>>
The minimum required to maintain healthy tissue is the 56g figure. If you're trying to get bigger you need more.
>>
>>35467432
But by how much?
>>
File: 1.jpg (9 KB, 226x259) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
9 KB, 226x259
Mfw i eat 200g everyday
>>
>>35467397
>1g of protein per lb of bodyweight
When will this fucking retarded myth die. It's 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight MAX.

The reason that study showed males with higher protein intake got cancer more is because the average male is overweight and doesn't give a shit about what he eats, ergo, burgers and hotdogs all the time. Fat women usually eat lots of candy, chocolate, ice cream, etc... with minimal protein content.
>>
>>35467574
>>35467574
>When will this fucking retarded myth die. It's 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight MAX

what's the sauce on this?
>>
>>35467610
http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060114p22.shtml

Didn't feel like pulling out the actual studies so I just googled and found a link closest to it which uses actual studies to prove what it says.
>>
The optimal amount for health, and the optimal amount for bodybuilding will differ. Bodybuilding != health. At some point bodybuilding is detrimental to health even, even as a natty. Lifting alone stresses the liver, raises blood pressure, and increases/causes injuries.

Fuck these studies that show 50g protein is enough to retain "positive nitrogen balance". There's a lot more to making gains than maintaining a serum blood level.
>>
According to the International Society of Sports Nutrition, protein intakes of 1.4-2.0 g/kg of bodyweight (0.6-0.9g/lb of bodyweight) for physically active individuals is not only safe, but may improve the training adaptations to exercise training. The American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine also support high protein intake for active individuals in the range of 1.2-1.7 g/kg of bodyweight (0.5-0.8 g/lb of bodyweight).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19278045
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17908291
>>
>>35467569
Are you a
[spoiler]big[/spoiler]
[spoiler]guy[/spoiler]
[spoiler]for[/spoiler]
[spoiler]me?[/spoiler]

/fit/ really needs the spoilers it deserves.
>>
>>35467610
>>35467746
Ah here it is. Thanks anon.
>>
That's a fucking stupid correlation to make
>High protein = High cancers risk
It's more like
>High protein = Highly active = Builds mass and has mass = more cells = more respiration = more replication = more chance of faulty cell = more chance of cancer

Fuck this fucking retarded study
>>
>>35467746
And I'm wondering. Do these studies account for added weight as fat? I would think individuals who are fatter wouldn't necessarily need extra protein based off their non-lean bodymass.
>>
EEeeh. I'd like to know about their sample group.
For this study to be worth anything, they'd have to have atleast 4 groups. 1 fat & 1 fit eating low protein, and another pair eating high protein.
Othervise it's not good enough, as obesity has a relationship with increased risk of cancer in certain bodyparts.
>>35467795
Agreed.
>>
>>35467397
yes just like a few years back they told us that we were supposed to eat 7 servings of grains a day just lol at anyone who trusts these kunts
>>
Unrelated but I heard my friend say he takes enough protein that he doesn't need to stretch at all after/before a workout and he's fine. What say you, /fit/?
>>
>>35467938

He's got a very unique understanding of why people stretch, is all I'll say.
>>
>>35467782
This
Literally a tumor could happen at any time from cells dividing.
Although protein causes growth so it makes sense, to an extent.
>>
Literally nobody on this board lifts enough to warrant 1g of protein per lb of bw.

Get fucking real. The more you lift and the bigger you become, the more protein you'll need. But for now you're DYEL, you don't need all that shit and you're just hurting yourself.
>>
>>35467738
>Lifting alone stresses the liver, raises blood pressure, and increases/causes injuries.
Exercising stresses the liver, raises blood pressure
You heard it here first folks.
Turns out every doctor on the planet is wrong, exercise is not required for good health.
>>
>>35467938
>Stretching
It's for faggots I never stretch. I gave up on that stupid shit.
>>
>>35467738
>lifting stresses the liver
No
>lifting increases BP
Briefly while doing the lift. It actually decreases it on a normal basis. Same goes for any kind of exercise.
>lifting increases/causes injuries
So does being unfit and moving around. Being fit and lifting actually reduces your chance of getting injured in general situations, so the trade off is actually worth it.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.