[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm one of these New Year New Me people. Well, almost.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: New-Year-New-Me-5.jpg (98 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
New-Year-New-Me-5.jpg
98 KB, 500x375
So I'm one of these New Year New Me people.

Well, almost. I signed up to the gym in late December because that's when I had the money, so I might as well be.

What can I do to avoid being a nuisance to you guys? At the moment I'm trying to go at times when the gym isn't busy to avoid making any faux pas. What should I do and avoid doing?

Bonus question: Is going to the gym at night bad?

Thanks in advance.
>>
Fuck what other people think. Just because you started later than them doesnt mean theyre above you. Just dont be a cunt in general, everyone started somewhere
>>
>>35446610
I'm talking about general etiquette like wiping things down after use, not hogging machines etc.
>>
Just go to the gym and don't be a douche. No one actually cares what anyone else is doing at the gym because we're all way to self absorbed. Also, put away your weights after you're done with them.
>>
>>35446518

>how do I avoid being a nuisance

put the weights back

dont text on benches

simple stuff.
>>
>>35446518
>What can I do to avoid being a nuisance to you guys?
In all honesty the biggest nusiance is that nyrfags quit after a week 2 max.Just wastes space.Don't quit imagine what a years progress will feel like.
>don't worry about light weight on all your lifts
no one cares.And don't stress about asking for a spotter on bp just ask
>>
>>35446518
Go look at the SIR comics.
If you feel like you are doing anything like that, don't do it.

If you don't have confidence in using gym equipment, book a session with a PT. There are some shitty PTs around, but they have some level of training and its better than hurting yourself or others with stupidity.

Don't walk into the gym with all the latest gadgets and fad equipment on your first day.

Keep it simple until you are comfortable.

Be polite to other people. Don't hover around benches or machines if you want to use them, enquire how many sets the person using it has to go.

Don't think that you'll see instant results. It may be slow progress. stick at it. in 6 months, you should be entering your gym looking as happy as day one, and not like you regret doing it because you don't have 20 inch biceps yet.

If you are asked to spot someone trying to bench press, it is considered a major faux pas to rest your ballsack on the top of their head.

If you are "hogging" a machine, readjust your weights, so that if your goal is volume training, you are reaching failure without spending 40 minutes sat one exercise.
>>
>>35446518
1.) If you use something, put it back where you got it from (if it's the floor or some random other place, use your common sense to determine where it belongs)
2.) If you don't know how to use something, ask someone who does. If nobody is around and you can't figure it out on your own, don't use it.
3.) Don't block any equipment when you are not using it.
>>
>>35446705
You can text faggot. Just because you're a fat neckbearded beta who thinks you gotta sike yourself up for a lift doesn't mean we are. You're resting, it's fine. Stupid fuck
>>
>>35446930

checking phone for your routine is fine

spending 5 minutes texting = fuck off
>>
>>35446963
So when you're doing SS and lifting heavy weights it's not okay to rest for more than 10 seconds? You obviously don't lift heavy. When squating 3.5 pl8s I need 5 minutes to reset before trying again you dip. Not everyone does 8-12 broreps and calls it a day.
>>
>>35446980

my point is dont be sitting on equipment wasting other peoples time for a long period of time

it's inconsiderate, and you dont need 5 fucking minutes to rest. get the sand out of your vag.
>>
>>35446990
>you dont need 5 fucking minutes to rest.
If you are going for strength oriented training, 5 minutes is sometimes needed. You probably won't really need 10 minutes ever, but 5 minutes is completely normal.
>>
>>35446990
I guaranty I lift heavier than you. You're a fuccboi. I could take your bitch if I wanted. I would beat your ass.
>>
>>35447025

im talking about people using benches in front of the free weights, there is no need to waste peoples time by sitting there forever.

anything beyond 1-2 min and you're just taking up space.
>>
>>35446610
this senpai
>>
>>35446990
Dude resting 5 minutes is not faux pas like the previous poster said you cant do a set of nearly 4 plate squats take a minute off and then bust out another quality set. Why are you in such a hurry?
>>
>>35446518
watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0WxyKGD7sU
dont do this shit

also, don't fucking circuit train unless the gym is really dead. nothing pisses me off more than the guy who's running between 5 stations and won't let you work in. do one fucking thing at a time
>>
>>35447051

ok squatting/deadlifting is different

im talking about the people doing their dumbbell stuff on benches.
>>
>>35447043
Go rep 20% under your max of a compound of your choice take precicesly 60 seconds off for a rest and do the same ammount of reps again, let us kbow how it goes
>>
>>35447043
1-2 minutes is the lower end, I would even say for most exercises 1 minute is useless. If you rest so little, you are basically wasting your time with the other sets. 2-3 minutes should be the norm for stuff in the 6-12 rep range. I know that's totally broscience, but just try it, your workout does fucking nothing when you do just one minute rests.
>>
>>35447093

all im saying is if the gym is busy, dont be a cunt and text people when other people could work in
>>
>>35447071
I agree on DB. But I'd still take ur bitch
>>
>>35447071
fairer
>>
>>35447071
Me personally i religiously leave my phone in the car because i know it will distract me. i would say i always rest appropriately and waste no time in the gym, sometimes rest is 30 seconds sometimes its a few minutes. i see a lot of people that i can genuinely say "waste more time then i do" at the end of the day though everything is relative i dont get mad seeing people waste their own time, because my time is uneffected. i think you need to take solace in that you too are someone not interested in wasting time, but dont let someone else's action or lack there of allow you to build up negativity, it makes tou worse then them desu
>>
>>35446764
The nyrfags save space by signing a 6 month contract and only going for 2 weeks
>>
>>35447134

changing music is fine, checking your routine is fine.

the problem is people literally texting/calling people mid workout. if you do that, get off the equipment.
>>
>>35447219
Bet you won't say that to their face you pussy ass fuccboi.
>>
>>35447256

they will be gone in 2 weeks. whats the point.
>>
>>35447263
Beta.
>>
Don't curl in the damn squat rack. Can't believe nobody has said that yet
>>
>>35446518
Just do a beginner routine with compounds and don't over work yourself to stay motivated
>>
File: pepe.gif (980 KB, 305x320) Image search: [Google]
pepe.gif
980 KB, 305x320
new year, no me
>>
>>35446518
My number one gym rule is go hard at what you can do if you can only lift light go hard as fuck at doing that until you can lift heavy and don't give up at what you're doing push yourself this will earn you the respect of the people who have been there longer than you seeing that you are actually trying your hardest will earn their respect as well as knowing yourself that you're working your hardest I don't know where you're at with your body or what kind you have but I've always been picked on for being scrawny and wiry but I've been working my ass off for about a year now and have come farther than you would believe gym etiquette don't be a bitch don't quit
>>
>>35447714
you sound like some instagram guy trying to get into fit instagram business
>>
>>35447077
Lol ur a bitch. I jump in after a minute and a half 'cause I get bored. No problems. Mad gainz. Fuccboi.
>>
>>35447862
You sound like a faggot
>>
I honestly dunno why you give a fuck what the "gym veterans" think. Just do your own thing without being disrespectful. They don't pay more for membership than you, but thanks to resolutioners everyone pays less.
>>
>>35447036
Haha. Lost at this. True alpha shit. No way for him to comeback at this without sounding offended. Soooo much bait
>>
>>35448223
I don't even think he lifts
>>
>>35446627
Pay attention to what people are doing around you. Don't start doing your exercises right next to a guy in his personal space.
Don't walk right behind someone doing exercises. You'll hurt yourself and them if they don't see you and move backwards in anyway.

Put weights back when you are done. Put plates back in the correct order after you are done. Putting a 45 right infront of the 2.5s is just fucking retarded and makes other people spend more time playing towers of Hanoi with the fucking plates. Put the bar back too.

Wipe stuff down when you are done.

Squat rack is for squatting and overhead pressing. It's not for curling. It's not for you to set the bar on the pins in between shrug sets. It's not for you to sit on the floor and do a floor bench using the pins to keep from decapitating your stupid ass. There are many places where you can take a barbell and shrug, curl, etc. There are generally only 2 places to squat and overhead press: squat rack and power rack.

Don't dick around on the equipment. Looking at your phone inbetween sets is fine. Sitting there for 8 minutes on your phone not paying attention is not. If the place is empty, whatever. But when there are other people, be courteous and prompt.

Really it all boils down to be aware of your surroundings, clean up after yourself, and don't be a douche bag.
>>
>>35446990
5 minutes can be acceptable. If I fail a set, I usually do 5 minutes. If I'm struggling and have one more set to go, I'll do 5 minutes. I bet you're one of those fucking skinny DYELs that stare down people on the squat rack repping 300% more then your sets because they take a 3-5 minute breather.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.