[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the differences between powerlifting and oly lifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: powerlifting vs weightlifting.jpg (251 KB, 1500x1186) Image search: [Google]
powerlifting vs weightlifting.jpg
251 KB, 1500x1186
What are the differences between powerlifting and oly lifting when it comes to hypertrophy?
>>
They are both sports, neither is for hypertrohpy
>>
>>35424749
>powerlifting
>natural elite athletes
>natural movements
Back in my day trolling meant something.
>>
File: William Hung.jpg (68 KB, 490x690) Image search: [Google]
William Hung.jpg
68 KB, 490x690
The Chinese do bodybuilding routines on top of oly training.
>>
File: 767676.jpg (159 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
767676.jpg
159 KB, 800x800
>>35424875
>They are both sports
>>
Olympic lifting is way more fun. Also way harder to become competitive (at a local level)
>>
>>35424886
>sitting down, picking something up and extending your arms is not natural
>>
Powerlifting is obviously better for hypertrophy than the classic lifts. It's why weightlifters supplement with bodybuilding stuff, because the classic lifts aren't enough for hypertrophy.
>>
/fit/ shits on trex mode and squatting every workout all the time and then turns around to suck weightlifter dick.
You can have only one of those, you faggots
>>
I did oly for a couple of months, all the guys there were obsessed with training and would get depressed if their lifts weren't good enough. Our coach wanted us to put training over everything and would get really upset if we didn't progress at his pace.

After two months I said thanks to the coach and went back to basic powerlifting at home. The main reason I joined that gym was because I couldn't afford bumper plates for my home gym.

Besides, the good lifters were compete t-rexes it was ridiculous. But that's just my opinion.
>>
they're quite similar

>weak dumbasses shilling either on /fit/ are fuckwits
>any actual strong WLers or PLers I've met irl are nice people

only weakfags make fucking charts like the OP or troll online.
>>
>>35425058

That's not william hung dumbbass.
>>
>>35427388
Yeah you doofus! It's obviously Jackie Chan!>>35425058
>>
I started WL two months ago, it is really fun and can be aesthetic if complement it with upper body hyperthrophy (goodbye boring leg days).

Powerliftig is just boring as hell.
>>
File: wat racing.png (225 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
wat racing.png
225 KB, 640x480
Powerlifting - Autotragic
Olympic weightlifting - Manual

r8 my analogy
>>
>>35425788
if you change the order in which you say that it literally becomes both oly lifts
>pick something up
>sit down
>extend arms
>>
>>35428972
i hope no one takes this at face value

you'd snap your shit up really good if u tried to snatch or c&j anything with this retarded 'order'
>>
File: hnnngg.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
hnnngg.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>
File: ~.jpg (66 KB, 280x366) Image search: [Google]
~.jpg
66 KB, 280x366
>>35429741
>tfw my spinal erectors are starting to become visible
>>
>>35428934
Auto tragic is machines free weight is manual
U need oly lifting and powerlifting to be a good athlete. On a side note, cleans are a very natural movement. I notice myself doing it all the time. If you want to carry something heavy without a handle you "rack" it on your shoulder and clavicles just like a clean. If you just pick it up and hold it like a deadlift it bangs into your legs.
>>
>>35424749
...God Jesse Norris is hot
>>
>>35429741
How do I into this mode /fit/?
>>
>>35430314
>train from child
>heavy lifts every day
>bodybuilding every day
>sterons
>be dink with top tier insertions
>>
>>35426707
>good lifters were complete t-rexes

This is nonsense. Yes your legs generate most of the power in the lift, but don't pretend that the stabilizing muscles (shoulders, traps, core, etc) don't get worked throughout the lift. Most weightlifters that I encounter have balanced, natural looking physiques.

Sounds like it just wasn't the sport for you.
>>
>>35430314
Well, it is their job to be /fit/, so you'll have to find a way to devote as much time as they do to lifting (and I am guessing the devote even more than 40hrs / wk).
>>
>>35426707
I won't deny your anecdote, and I do not compete in weightlifting. I do the lifts, though, and I don't see how it would make for a T-rex.

Clean? Leg dominant, but the pull to get under the bar works back.
Jerk? Leg dominant, but press component works shoulders, tris, upper chest.
Snatch? Leg dominant, but traps and delts are engaged.

Plus, your training involves pressing (shoulders upper chest, tris), front squats (core), probably plenty of shit I don't know about.

You probably deadlift with your snatch/clean grip once in a while, and are still able to bench and do some pullups for fun.

I would imagine your physique would be similar to an elite powerlifter, with the notable exception of a smaller lower chest, larger upper chest, and (maybe) more developed quads. Not enough to make you a T-rex, though.
>>
>>35432369

Oly lifters tend to do very little actual pressing work. It became kind of inefficient for a lot of purposes once the press got taken out of competition.

In terms of big compounds... you basically have variants on the competition lifts, back squats and front squats. Maybe some bodybuilding work depending on your programming, but it won't be a big deal in a lot of cases.

And no, you can't count the drop in jerking as press-like, or the third pull in the clean as being much back work. For efficient lifters there's very little of that going on.
>>
>>35432369
>Jerk? Leg dominant, but press component works shoulders, tris, upper chest.
>press component

There is no press component

pressing during a jerk = red lights
>>
>>35430314

STEROIDS
T
E
R
O
I
D
S
>>
File: 1414339641327.png (153 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1414339641327.png
153 KB, 700x700
>>35432369

>being this wrong and misinformed
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.