[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDOTT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: deltoid_diagram.jpg (73 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
deltoid_diagram.jpg
73 KB, 400x358
Which exercises are most effective in building the medial and posterior deltoid?
>>
File: klokov-lifting-girls-oh.jpg (113 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
klokov-lifting-girls-oh.jpg
113 KB, 640x640
>>34950122
glad you asked

one word

The Press
>>
Down to 200 from 250. Bench is stalling at 3x5 for 205 so I'm bulking right now.

Should I start using creatine? Pre or post workout and can you recommend a brand?
>>
when I do THE PRESS, and I bring it down, the interior of my elbow on my right arm feels weird, like something is crunching
>>
>>34950122
Anterior - OHP
Posterior - Deadlift & Pull Up

Medial - not sure but I guess OHP works it as well.
>>
>>34950183
you may be extraordinarily weak, and better off starting with lower weight

you may have poor form

you may have a unique anthropometrical issue that interferes with doing a proper The Press

in any case, this isn't the best place to ask a question like that, regarding The Press
>>
>>34950157
When I OHP I don't feel that much of a burn in my rear delts as I do my arms/anterior delt

Is my pressing form just fucked up? I've watched several youtube videos on lift forms and have never had pain/injury related to lifting so I think my form is ok...
>>
>>34950122
Lateral Raises and rear delt flyes.
>>
>>34950169
literally take creatine monohydrate at 5g/ day mixed with water, loading is broscience
>>
>>34950188
>OHP

the exercise is called The Press
>>
>>34950169
Creatine yes start using it, pre or post doesn't matter, brand doesn't matter, it's pretty cheap, 5mg a day, drink enough water
>>
Is there a point to doing lat pulldowns if you can do pull ups?
>>
>>34950219
>>34950219
is this a may may? because when I started lurking /fit/ a few years ago it was just called the overhead press (serious question, I've been gone from this board for a long time)
>>
>>34950122
medial: lateral raises, ohp (not directly but it does hit them rather hard), face pulls (to an extent)
posterior: face pulls (you should be doing these anyways), reverse fly/bent over lateral raises
>>
>>34950233
yes its a meme. also the proper name for the exercise is the The Press
>>
>>34950209
There is literally no way your rear deltoid will bear the load during a press I can't believe people still don't fucking get this. Your rear deltoid is for PULLING SHIT
>>
>>34950223
You can control the movement a lot better with lat pull downs. By that I mean form, contraction and extension. Unless you find pull ups so easy that you can do those with them too then lat pull downs are a useful exercise to do.

Imo neither of the exercises replace each other
>>
>>34950256
do you type out 'the press' when formatting your routine? or do you just write 'press'?

pls respond
>>
>>34950253
also rows hit the rear delt p hard if you do them properly
>>
Fatty here. How much time before your muscles shrink back down? I wasn't able to go to the gym for some time (car broke), and now that I can go again I'm not sure if I can hop back into the routine I left off on or if I should go a little lighter to get back into the game.
>>
>>34950273
neither

it's called The Press
>>
>>34950273
>strict standing military press
Looks impressive on paper
>>
>>34950273
i write

>press: the The Press

followed by the number of sets and reps
>>
>>34950285
you can certainly jump back into the same routine just start lower (or a lot lower depending on if you were out for a long time) and work your weights up to determine your new working weight then continue from there
>>
>>34950271
Makes sense, thanks!
>>
>>34950122
I have meh shoulders and am doing ohp 115x5x5. I love ohp and do it much more than bench but it has not given me huge shoulders. I can't think of anything better though. Probably do lateral raises in addition to ohp and maybe some overhead shrugs as well, that seems to get the shoulders burning. Nothing but roids is going to give you that boulder shoulder look I'm afraid.

For rear delts you really need to be doing face pulls.
>>
>>34950264
Thanks for the clear up.

So how many reps/sets of lateral raises should I target to accompany SL?
>>
Are you faggots always flexing your stomach with your shirt off?

I get a full 6 pack just fine when I flex them or suck in or push out. But standing still my stomach is just flat

Am I the only one not in on this? That everyone is always flexing their abs? If not what BF do I need to be to have standing abs?
>>
>>34950287
i see. thank you for youre advices

>>34950288
do you have to be in the military to do the
military press? can a regular ol civilian like me ever hope to do it?

>>34950289
thanks. ill write it like this from now on
>>
>>34950303
that doesn't make sense at all

this

>You can control the movement a lot better with lat pull downs. By that I mean form, contraction and extension.

is gibberish

do your pull-ups fuck lat pulldowns
>>
>>34950213
>>34950220
Does creative make you look noticeably fatter?
I'm looking more to add muscle mass. Recovery and soreness aren't an issue
>>
>>34950316

do your deadlifts, your squats, your benches, your The Press, and your chin-ups

it's all covered
>>
>>34950348
this

until you get a sufficient strength base, accessory work will just interfere with your main lifts so cut it out until you can handle it

you can add some lateral raises and go light on them if you really want just make sure your the press doesnt suffer for it
>>
>>34950348
>your squats

I have shredded T-rex legs from being fat for most of my life so can I just switch squats out with some lateral raises?
>>
>>34950375
how about you squat on an m80 if you insist on memeing so hard you fuck
>>
>>34950375
no. that's ridiculous

no one starts out with perfectly evenly balanced strength

just get stronger
>>
>>34950320
I'm wondering the same. I have mine flexed in cbt images I post. I cut for a while and the became more noticeable flexed but still not really there relaxed. Meanwhile my lifts stalled and my muscles looked less full. Fuck it, back to bulking.

I don't really work my abs though except for pull ups (which really do work your core and are, therefore, superior to lat pull downs). >>34950223
>>
>>34950321
I'm a civilian but I wouldn't say I'm regular or old :^)
>>
>>34950325
Yea it wasn't well written but obviously
>Form - not kipping, holding the weight, controlling speed
>contraction - concentric portion of the movement
>extension - eccentric portion of the movement
>>
>>34950157
>one word
>>
File: wut.png (90 KB, 164x196) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
90 KB, 164x196
>>34950157
that guy's face in the background
kek
>>
>>34950320
do ur stomach vacuums and actually work ur abs then. if you are already doing this and you are sooooo super sure you bf is low enough for abs and you dont have abs then i dont know how to tell you this but you might have been born without abs
>>
What can I do to avoid injury? I know obviously practice good form is one of them, is there anything else I should be doing? I do a cardio warm up before I start lifting but should I be stretching or antyhing?
>>
>>34950530
Foam rolling, static stretching, dynamic stretching, plyometrics
>>
>>34950530
dynamic stretching for warm up, static stretching for cool down.

work on mobility and flexibility esp in wrists and shoulders/rotator cuffs.

make sure your routine has atleast a 1:1 ratio of push to pulls (more pulls is ok)

listen to your body. sometimes soreness masks pain so pay attention
>>
>>34950169
First creatine mono i ever used was BEAST Creature. Imo its excellent. I take 1 scoop pre and 1 scoop mixed with my proton shake post. Usually by day 2 after starting i feel the effects. Personally it helps me a shit ton with muscle exhaustion. Throughout my workout my muscles will get sore/worked good but it prevents them from tiring out and I can just keep going!
>>
>>34950465
>Form - not kipping

then don't kip

>holding the weight, controlling speed

what does "holding the weight" mean?

and nothing prevents you from doing pull ups slowly

>contraction - concentric portion of the movement
>extension - eccentric portion of the movement

i know that the terms mean

but like i said, gibberish.

>You can control the movement a lot better with lat pull downs. By that I mean form, contraction and extension.

you're just throwing weightlifting terminology at the end of a sentence. unless you're saying the concentric and eccentric part of a lat pulldown is "better", which still doesn't make any sense

you're not controlling the movement better, you're removing an element of stabilization entirely from the movement and leaving machinery to do the work. lat pulldowns are best for people who cant do a single pullup
>>
>>34950528
Wait stomach vacuums actually work your abs?

Can you give me a retarded routine quick? I do it to fuck around but I never felt it working anything.

I take a deep breath, blow all the air out, suck in my stomach and then...?
>>
File: 4L_gKxGuyNL.jpg (40 KB, 576x430) Image search: [Google]
4L_gKxGuyNL.jpg
40 KB, 576x430
What are some good back exercises besides deadlifts, rows, and wide grip pull ups?
>>
>>34950667
they work the transverse abdominals with are behind. arnold swears by them and ive had good results with them.

inhale then exhale while sucking in your stomach and then hold for a few seconds. do a few sets. you should be able to them every day unless your core is super sore. just increase the time you hold for (and dont forget to breath while holding, this can be tricky just practice before starting to get it down)
>>
>>34950681

face pulls
rear delt flys
>>
>>34950681
you dont need any more "back exercises" than those few, because they're the best around. by the time you do (if ever), you wont be asking lifting questions on an anime imageboard. just do those few, and squats.

fekkin bitches love my back and ive never done much more than the four barbell lifts and chin ups
>>
>>34950681
Shoulder width pull ups and, gasps, chin ups too. Wide grip isn't necessarily better. You should be doing them weighted of your not a fatass.

I second the face pull suggestion.

Something else to consider is prone pull ups (yes, use the Smith machine for this) but honestly I like face pulls better.
>>
File: 1436628070848.jpg (107 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1436628070848.jpg
107 KB, 1024x768
My dick is smelly.

Like I sweat a lot on my groin, and it definitely smells pretty pungent. Not like armpits, but like riper. sometimes theres a hint of BO smell I guess.

Had 3 gfs, one was actually really hot and she loved to go down on me so I guess it's not holding me back at all, but is there anything i can do about this? Anyone else have smellydick

>I'm jewish.
>>
>>34950771
Use soap when you clean your dick, retard.
>>
>>34950320
Jokes on you. I've been flexing my abs ever since highschool when I realized I could work them in class.
>>
>>34950338
only slightly. If you're worried about looking fatter then you're already fat. It would maybe look like a difference of 1 or MAYBE 2% bodyfat
>>
At what point does one have 'enough muscle' to start cutting. I'm about 20% body fat, more builtfat.

Right now my lifts are
Lifting 6 months

weigh ~173 lbs

Squat 250 x 5
Bench 190 x 7
OHP 135 x 5
DL 300 x 5

I was thinking of cutting at 1 2 3 4 plates, will i have made it by then?
>>
File: 1443749127909.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
1443749127909.gif
3 MB, 286x258
>>34950289
>>
>>34950122
reverse flies, 45 degree angle
>>
>>34950157
That's all median and anterior delt
>>
Lateral flies for medial heads

Literally any back work for post delts
>>
>>34950771
I had that issue, until I stopped masturbating (also have gf, wasn't a big issue) and started using a facecloth to scrub my glans + under the head of my dick. Don't use soap, just warm water.
>>
File: aGKT3IF.png (193 KB, 670x535) Image search: [Google]
aGKT3IF.png
193 KB, 670x535
AxBx or AxBxx
Bulking = 5 sets 5 reps
Cutting = 5 sets 10 reps
Maintenance = 5 sets 15 reps
* = 1 set

A
Barbell Incline Bench Press (Chest)
Barbell Upright Row (Shoulders)
Barbell Curl (Biceps)
Barbell Head Supported Bent-Over Row (Back)
Barbell Hack Squat (Legs)

B
Barbell Decline Bench Press (Chest)
Barbell Seated Overhead Press (Shoulders)
Barbell Reverse Grip Curls (Biceps)
*Barbell Deadlift (Back)
Barbell Squat (Legs)

Is this good enough?

I only have access to barbells (dumb/kettle bells are removed because of stupid niggers stealing them all the time and no other gym).
>>
>>34951113
The Press
>>
How do I stop injuring myself
>>
>>34951264
vague question, but in general:

warm up correctly
keep hydrated and well nourished
keep well rested
have a good stretching routine
use proper form
leave your ego at the door
>>
>>34950514
loool
>>
>>34951307
How do I into warm ups and stretching? The sticky mentions it but has no guide
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 450x450
>>34950289
>>
>>34951333
Warmupreps.com

Stretching is just put that muscle in a situation where it feels tight then push it tighter for a couple minutes
>>
>>34950122
>medial deltoid

Its lateral deltoid you faggot

and short answer would be upright row or lateral raise
>>
facepulls
>>
how the fuck am i supposed to deadlift on SS? i feel completely smashed after squats and ohp
my dl has been consistently going down since i switched from that "stripped ss" thing to the 3rd ed SS
>>
Whats would you say is the best hair combination on a /fit/ guy, curly/wavy/straight, long/medium/short, as well as your opinion on facial hair and its location+styles
Also what is the recommended time between hair cuts?
Its been a few months since the last one
Sorry if this isn't really the place to put these questions
>>
>>34951654
You eat more, sleep more and stop being a little bitch.
I had a similar problem that effected my bench press, after a year of having a shit bench I found out it was due to lack of effort I was putting in.

You really need to learn to hype yourself up for each set and calm down for rests and then hype yourself up again.

Doesn't matter how much you're lifting, if it's heavy for you, you need to hype yourself up.
If you can't do that then find another hobby.
>>
How much creatine do you take?
I am new to lifting and am currently cutting, a bit fat at 100 kilos and about 6'3, currently taking 6.6 a day (two scoops), loaded for about 5 days at 26.4 spread over 4 different times 4+ hours apart
Also how do you usually take it? I put two scoops in my whey but it tastes a little off, when loading i put it in water and it was disgusting
>>
>>34950514
Do you think he's miring the strength, or checking out asses?
>>
How is this even hard
>THE PRESS©
>Side Raises
>Facepulls and general rowing
>>
>>34951657
Depends on the face (structure + fat storage)

Develop your own style m8
>>
>>34951709
5g in your post-workout shake.
>>
If i'm lifting solely for weight loss do I need to take rest days?
>>
>>34952018
Why after workout?
I thought you were meant to take it before so it can help you during the workout
>>
>>34952168
Studies show it's absorbed better after training. And while you do "need it" for training, it is simply stored in your muscles ready for use next time you train. It doesn't go anywhere until needed.
>>
>>34952168

Creatine uptake is slow, but it sticks around for ages. If you're dosing consistently it really doesn't matter what time of day you take it.
>>
>>34950289
Nice.
>>
>>34951712
Probably mirin' Klokov's ass.
>>
Should I take my multivitamins before or after my workout?
>>
File: tumblr_nlrwgwWY9f1u53bdgo9_500.jpg (51 KB, 500x454) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlrwgwWY9f1u53bdgo9_500.jpg
51 KB, 500x454
intermittent fasting is awesome and I've done it before with success. Is there anything I need to be mindful of in my eating window other than keeping sodium low? In my experience, eating dirty calories made no difference as long as it was below maintainance except for when i had high sodium stuff.
>>
>>34950307
come back when u hit a 180 ohp
>>
>>34952434
honestly doesn't matter.
Just take it in the mornings as part of your daily ritual or something
>>
>>34950183
This may be your forearm muscle that is attached to your elbow. Make absolutely sure to keep your wrist in a neutral postition when you do the exercise.
>>
>>34952434
Doesn't matter. It's recommended to take them with food.
>>
>>34952168
It doesn't matter as long as you take 5g a day. You could technically even split it up into multiple portions if you have a weak digestive system.
>>
>>34952018
Not recommended for everyone. Protein powder and creatine are hard to digest so this may cause some discomfort/digestive issues for some people.
>>
File: le milkmen.jpg (91 KB, 1200x731) Image search: [Google]
le milkmen.jpg
91 KB, 1200x731
>>34952482
>ohp

You mean the The Press™, ®, and Copyright © 2005 Mark Rippetoe. All Rights Reserved
>>
>>34951709
Don't ever load creatine. Take 5g a day.
>>
>>34950122
is it possible that creatine gave me herpes?
>>
>>34951216
>doing different types of set and rep ranges during cutting and bulking

>doing barbell upright rows

stop
>>
>>34952643
No
>>
My dick tilts to the side and is also a bit twisted, as in it points off too the left and my urethra isn't vertical but at an angle
Also my foreskin on the right side can easily be pulled BEYOND the head (As in its already past it), but the foreskin on the left is tighter and can hardly be pulled anywhere beyond the base of the head
Is there anyway to fix this?
I am currently just trying to twist and point my dick to the right in my pants to try to correct it but dont really know what to do

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread before this
>>
>>34952482
Not many here can strict ohp 135 for reps and I seriously doubt anyone is doing 180 without serious leg drive or gear it both.

1 plaet is widely considered "making it" as in 4/3/2/1
>>
File: bulking.jpg (469 KB, 868x600) Image search: [Google]
bulking.jpg
469 KB, 868x600
>>34953003
>1 plaet is widely considered "making it" as in 4/3/2/1

This is considered the point where you should move from basic strength training to more advanced programming based on your goals. I don't think it can be refered as "making it" as vague as that term is.
>>
No matter what you do, do stretchs and foam rolls after workouts.
I get my self injured bc of that.
Now its been 2 months that I didnt work out and dr says I should wait 1 more month to make sure I am ok.
Mri result was, that I have got a flatened lumbar because of the heavylifting and not streching enough.
The pain was enormus like the ones make you fuckin cry.
With physical teraphy and strechin the muscles that caused the lumbar flattened, pain is almost gone.
So tldr is, streching is as important as the form.
>>
I'm never going to compete in powerlifting, I'm not going to be some shredded modle tier guy.
How imperative is it that I actually hit parralel on squats?
>>
any of you guys tried making oat milk? its pretty good of you add 2 scoops and some frozen bananas. instant milkshake-like taste.
>>
>>34953058
Longer range of motion equals better strength and size gains. Research is pretty clear on this. So how important is it? You can do whatever you want to do, just know that full squats are objectively better 9 times out of 10.
And all that extra weight you can pile on because you're doing a third of the ROM still isn't making the exercise as effective as doing a full ROM with less weight. What it does do however, is greatly increase the risk you'll fuck up your low back.

If you don't have crazy ambitions, and you're asking because you're having mobility issues, there is really no need to do back squats. There are many other great squat variations out there. Goblet squats are great and super easy to learn. As are Bulgarian split squats.

(Of course if you choose not to back squats, you should not be doing a routine such as Starting Strength that is built around high frequent heavy squatting).
>>
How will a week off from gym affecy my gains? I am a noob lifter, only been lifting for a month
Just got a minor injury and decided to let it heal to not fuck it up further
>>
Is margarine bad for you even if it doesn't have any partially hydrogenated oils? Is butter a better alternative?
>>
>>34950122
>medial deltoid
>>
>>34953030
what's the best you don't have those stats and have no fucking clue what you're talking about?
>>
>>34950209
ohp is mainly anterior delt
ohp is great but if you wanna train lateral delts just do lateral raises, they are prolly the only isolation excercise you cant really replace if you want big lateral delts.
the movement of the lateral deltoid muscle is very simple, there isn't much variation possible, you just have to abduct your arm
>>
>>34953003
I was doing 135x10 3 months after I started lifting. Even though my bench press stalled at 185x5 at that point.
>>
>>34950375
Of course. Just don't forget to keep the low rep scheme and add 5lbs every workout.
>>
>>34952128
It depends. If you keep overall intensity and volume low you don't need too much recovery. You still can do a lot of reps of everything with small weigth(still low volume), nothing else than cardio. Also do cardio.
>>
>>34953334
I call bull shit anon, who are you trying to impress estating like that? That or you're fucking doing it wrong you dumb nigger.
>>
File: 20151118_075429.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151118_075429.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>34950122
Are these bruises supposed to happen from power cleaning? I've had bruises previously from deadlifts (once got above 285ish for working sets), but was wondering if it's normal for PCs.

They're only at 135 gor 5x2 btw.
>>
Ive been doing 5/3/1 for a year, fucked up a few months and ended up repeating some stuff.
Should I stick with 5/3/1 4x a week or change to something else? I always find my upper body lagging way behind lower, barely ever struggle to go up in lower.
Stats are:
110kg squat (2.25pl)
55kg OHP (1.75pl)
130kg deadlift (2.75pl)
80kg bench (1.5pl)

When do I know I have to find a new routine?
>>
How should I stretch my shoulders? They're the one body part that I have no idea a good stretch for.
>>
So /fit/ every chest day I do:

Bench Press 5 X 5
Incline Bench Press 3 X 5
Dumbell Bench Press 3 X Failure
Lower Cable Crossover 5 X 5
Upper Cable Crossover 5 X 5

My chest still looks lackluster, and really behind compared to everything else, especially my shoulders and tris. Are there any exercises I can do for aesthetics?
>>
So I had been lifting for over a year when I stopped to focus on flexibility with some yoga for about 2 months because I was in constant lower back pain.

Now, whenever I try to squat, even bodyweight, I do not feel my legs doing any work at all, and I feel a pretty sharp pain when I am at the bottom of my squat where the legs meet the hips (near the crotch)

What the hell happened? I am now unable to even reach close to parallel because of this pain. I feel like shit.
>>
>>34953947
shoulder dislocations for 3x10, it stretches shoulders, pecs, back
>>
>>34954093
i never did anything than flat bench press and landmine press then added dips and my chest got bigger, so i would say try dips
>>
Is it normal for the elbows to move laterally when pressing? Not totally lateral, but in a diagonal.

I get the idea that they should be kept under the wrist, and therefore bend forward during the whole movement.

But with the proper grip width and some manageable weight it feels more comfortable to bent them more laterally than forward.
>>
>>34954210
By the way, I suspect it may be a matter of deltoid elasticity I'm lacking.
>>
>>34954093
Stop doing isolations 5x5

>5x5 is a meme you dip
>>
>>34953699
>When do I know I have to find a new routine?
Stay with the routine until it's no longer working i.e. you can't progress at the planned rate. Then figure out if it's because you're fucking something up e.g. eating like a little girl or getting drunk all the time and never sleeping. If not, the program has run its course and you should look for something else.
5/3/1 is one of those programs that can be run for a long time though, which is a good thing.

>>34953947
>How should I stretch my shoulders?
You don't, really. Stretch your latissimus dorsi, your pectoralis major & minor, and the long head of your triceps brachii, and your shoulders will take care of themselves.

>>34954093
Well first of all, never do crossover for as little as 5 reps. Do 8 at the very least. As many as 20 reps will work if you go to failure, which I recommend on light isolation exercises unless you plan on doing a lot of sets.
The fact that you're even able to do 5 reps on those exercises tells me that you're most likely using baby weights. Now, of course you shouldn't use any weights heavier than you can actually handle, but even when training for "aesthetics" your focus should ALWAYS be on trying to increase the amount of weight you're lifting (unless you're already indredibly strong). You can do all the exercises in the World - if you're not increasing the weight over time, you will get nowhere.

Secondly, you need to learn how to feel your pectorals working if you want them to grow. This can take a lot of practice.

Thirdly, if you do insist on having a "chest day", which is pretty stupid in my opinion but admittedly can work, I'd set it up like this instead:

Bench press 3x5
Incline dumbbell press 3x10-12
Dips 3x10-12
Low-to-high cable cross-over 3x12-15

>>34954210
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: you're asking if it's normal to want to flare your elbows out when pressing, rather than keeping them tucked?
>>
Today I was cooking lunch and my sunflower oil got burnt (it was smoking, but not that much) and since it was my last oil and I was hungry, I put the onions and meat in anyway.

I was then informed that burnt oil is dangerous and cancerogenous.

I had one meal of it and the rest (about 4+ meals worth) is now sitting in the fridge. Should I throw it away? I don't want to throw it away cause I'm poor, but I don't want to be poor with cancer.
>>
>>34954270
Thanks man, I'll stick to it and see how much further it takes me. Love the simplicity of it and its made sure my form is a lot better.
>>
>>34954275
anything like that is pretty long term if it happens at all.
All these "carcinogens" are merely substances which have shown to increase the likelyhood of cancer to some degree in some trial. I really wouldn't worry about a one off carcinogen, just try not to make it a habit if you're worried
>>
>>34954275
If you don't eat it on daily basis, nothing you should worry about imo, sometimes something like this happen to me and I eat it and still cancer free...
>>
What am i doing wrong when my hipjoints hurt when i go up on my squats? Doing high-bar, babby-tier weight 75kg.
Am i putting my feet too far out? Pls help /fit/
>>
File: 1447440416111.jpg (229 KB, 1335x1214) Image search: [Google]
1447440416111.jpg
229 KB, 1335x1214
How good is this routine really?
>>
File: the mountain.jpg (55 KB, 563x375) Image search: [Google]
the mountain.jpg
55 KB, 563x375
My protein powder has 19% BCAA, i take around 2.5 scoops (92gram, 70g protein) after training
This should be enough BCAA(like 17gram), right?
I have a ton of extra BCAA laying around but I fucking hate it because it's powder and taking it makes me want to kill myself.

I'm not cutting so I know it doesn't matter that much, but I would still like to know for the future.
>>
>>34954358
if ur on roids, g2g
>>
>>34954363
agree, to be honest familia
>>
people worry about shit that doesnt matter. seen some newbies in the gym doing a "shoulder day" 7-8 exercises without having a single muscle visible. unless you're facing phil on the stage just stick to 2-3 basic shoulder exercises. do that for 5 years, if you don't see improvement find me and kill me.
>>
>>34954378
but what if i enjoy doing a lot of isolation exercises?
>>
>>34954358
Typical bodybuilding 3-split. Will work fine for somebody who wants to build some size.
And no, you do not have to be on steroids for it to work. Absolutely not. On the other hand you shouldn't expect to suddenly wake up and look like the guy in the picture either.

>>34954359
You're seriously overthinking this, my friend. Half of what you're currently consuming post workout will be sufficient.
You don't have to consider the BCAA contents.
>>
Does anyone else feel more comfortable tensing their core even when not lifting?
>>
>>34954330
Can you tell whether it's in the inside of your hips, near your groin, or at the back near to the glutes?
Try work on overall hip mobility, hit it every possible angle.
Also are you squating in flat shoes? If so try elevating your heels via small plates or shoes and see what happens. Squatting in flat shoes can cause extra pressure on the hip flexors which can cause pain and soreness.
>>
>>34954410
>3x8-12 deadlifts
enjoy your no gains.
>>
how much do i should do cardio if im bulking?
>>
>>34954410
Thats a response I can work with. Thank you.
>>
>>34954270
Yeah, I'm flaring them a little sideways, instead of frontwards, when going up and back down. On both locked positions they're correctly placed because they're the only anatomical ways to be placed.
>>
>>34954421
I don't blame you for having this dogmatic conviction, because you've probably heard it so many times you've just started thinking it's the only way to do things, but honestly if you take a step back and really think hard about it - Do you actually think what you just said makes any sense?

>>34954460
It's a quite common thing to happen on the bench press once the novice lifter gets pushed to his limit, but it does constitute a breakdown of form and comes with a big risk of messing up your shoulder.
It's a lot like when your knees cave in during the squat. It's just something you have to practice.
And don't take your sets beyond the point of technical breakdown. It's counterproductive in the long run, as it fucks up some very important motor learning that's taking place for you right now.

That said, I hope you don't think you're supposed to keep your arms completely at your side. A little flaring is OK.
>>
>>34954387
theres nothing wrong with doing those. if you have decent mass, youre preparing for competition, looking for definition and trying to avoid injuries. for example i haven't done flat bench press for 3 years because of left shoulder injury, but i dont complain about my pecs. some angles dont work for me, ill just avoid them and find alternative ways. just do what feels good and works for you. training doesnt have to be torture or you wont last long enough to see results.
>>
>>34954500
Nonono wait, with Press I meant the OHP!

Sorry!
>>
>>34954500
http://www.myosynthesis.com/cns-handle-stress
here have some brain gains
>>
>>34954557
Thanks, excellent blog post. Although I have read it before.
What's your point though? What does it have to do with what you replied to?
>>
Better exercise for lats, lat pulldown with vbar or widegrip
>>
>>34950122
front raises for anterior
lateral raises for medial
back raise for posterior and medial
been doing there 3 exercises for 1 month and my shouders are visible bigger and stronger
>>
File: BCAA5000-60ser-unflavored_2.png (176 KB, 538x385) Image search: [Google]
BCAA5000-60ser-unflavored_2.png
176 KB, 538x385
I'm lifting doing SL 3x a week and doing cardio 3x a week on a deficit for weightloss. I go early morning on an empty stomach. On SL days i have a whey shake in my car after then go home and shower then have normal breakfast. Will drinking BCAAs before and during my lifting actually help build and preserve the muscle I have on this cut or is it zionist propaganda?
>>
>>34954613
Deadlifts are very taxing on your CNS, so doing several heavy sets is unnecessary and could possibly be detrimental depending on how much other stress you put on the CNS in that lift. So, you only do one set to not put too much stress on your nervous system.
Doing anything over 1x5 or 2x5 mean you're not lifting heavy enough.
>>
>>34953113
I just find it hard to progress on squats. I assume it's either my form or my core.
I can leg press 820, I can deadlift 355,
But I can only squat roughly 185 x5.
I've been keeping it light and trying to progress slow but whenever I hit 205 my knees cave in or my back rounds
>>
>>34954701
>Deadlifts are very taxing on your CNS
They can be, yes.
The article you linked to pretty much advocates the opposite approach than the one you're expousing though. Maybe you should go back and re-read it.

Anyway, working up to a single topset of 5 reps one to two times a week is fine when you're doing a routine that is built upon high frequent heavy low bar squatting, as the deadlift feeds off of these other lifts.
Also, doing 8-12 reps means using lighter weight than your 5RM, which means that the set will be less straining on the CNS. Therefore more sets can be performed without compromising recovery and joint integrity. In fact, THAT is basically the reason why 8-12 reps is the standard recommendation for hypertrophy work. There is nothing magical about the number of reps itself, but in terms of intensity (as defined by percentage of 1RM) your 8-12RM hits the sweet spot between being heavy enough to elicit a good training stimulus, but at the same time light enough to cause as little strain, and wear and tear, and thus allow for very large total workloads to be accumulated, compared to more strength-based routines.

As a finishing note, there is more than one way to train. One isn't necessarily more correct than the other. It all depends on the context, goals etc.
>>
how much protein shakes do i need drink per day? dudes at the gym always drink like 4 shakes
>>
What are the most successful routines for getting big arms? I'm having trouble catching them up to my torso.
>>
>>34955046
http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ArmWt.html#Biceps
but remember that biceps is only like 1/3 of your arm the rest is triceps, so the bigger triceps you will have the bigger arm you get
>>
>>34954999
Enough to reach your optimal amount of protein, which depends heavily on person, diet, body and shit like that
>>
i eat so fucking slowly and after a year of eating scrambled eggs i have developed a hatred of them. for the last few days i've been sucking it up and just drinking raw eggs. its disgusting and the consistency makes me gag but it saves me half an hour of picking at hated scrambled.

anyone else do this? am i just a retarded faggot who watched too much Rocky?
>>
File: soy.jpg (71 KB, 458x344) Image search: [Google]
soy.jpg
71 KB, 458x344
is soy protein isolate safe? it's basically the cheapest source of protein
>>
>>34955169
No, that's pretty much the reason why people drink eggs. I force ate like 12 soft boiled eggs the other day and now I haven't been able to even think about eating a single one, so i'll probably have to start drinking them as well.
>>
>>34955046
for your biceps do,
barbell curl
ez bar curl
hammer curl
for your triceps do
triceps pushdown with a W bar
triceps pushdown with a rope
inverted triceps pushdown
dips
skull crushers
>>
File: fat.jpg (17 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
fat.jpg
17 KB, 300x250
This is the state of my belly.
Going to go on a big cut to get dat washboard
Am I in for much loose skin?
>>
>>34955250
nah
just build some muscle
>>
What is objectively the best pre-workout supplement?
>>
>>34955250
depends on how long have you been overweighted, your age (the older you are the less your skin is elastic), the time frame of loosing weight, the slower the more time will have skin time to adjust, it can take up to 1 year to adjust after weight loss etc. none can really predict that, seen dudes loose over 100lbs and yet no loosen skins, seen dudes loose 30lbs and theyve had loosen skin...
>>
>>34955281
legal? caffeine
ilegal? 10mg of dbol
>>
>>34955296
I'm 22 but I plan on losing it pretty fast because the only way I'll stick to it is if I see results quickly
>>
>>34955327
well, as i said nobody can predict how your skin will react, when you get there you will see, but at 22 you're still young enough, so i wish you good luck on loosing weight and not having any loose skin bruh...
>>
>>34955307
where does it say that dbol is illegal? you can own steroids and use them. it's only illegal to sell.
>>
>>34955250
no. just a few stretchmarks
>>
>>34955393
depending on where you live
>>
I'm in a pretty shitty situation money and location wise. The only gym I can get to sucks and only has machines and dumbbells. there some kind of intermediate routine I could do there that would kinda work until maybe I can move and start going to a real gym.
>>
Should I Squat ATG in SS if it's my first time in the gym? I have two x chromosomes if that mattes.
>>
>>34950213
No it's not.
>>
>>34950256
Pure fucking cancer
>>
I do Deadlifts, shrugs and lat pull-down, are thos enough or do i need to add something like rows for back?
>>
>>34950348
>no rows
>no biceps exercise

Shiggily diggily m8
>>
>>34950348
>only pressing for shoulders

RIP shoulder health
>>
>>34950553
Definitely more pulls than pushes. 3:2 is a better rule of thumb.
>>
My back is killing me, and I dont know why. Also, today is deadlift day.

What do I do?
>>
>>34951113
dont forget the mean and mode
>>
>>34950169
/fraud/
>>
If I'm looking at a workout routine, PHUL, and it says it's intermediate, does that mean my lifts should be at the intermediate level on strength standards before I switch from SL to it?
>>
How much can you reasonably expect to shrug after a few weeks of training.

Because I'm up to 40kg and it feels like a lot, but I can do the weight, so I'm wondering if my form is shit or I'm cheating and I just don't know it.
>>
>>34950122
is there an "optimal" range to cut and bulk between? currently 14% and don't know whether to go full fat cunt to 20 or cut at 15
>>
>>34950122
rear delt cable flys?
>>
File: 1399386184009.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1399386184009.gif
1 MB, 400x225
How long should a workout take including warm-up and everything.

1 hour?
90min?

How long is too long?
>>
>>34956495
I take anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours

You can't literally do anything substantial in an hour
>>
>>34956484
interested in this as well. not that my gym's dumbbells go above 40kg, but i could shrug the 40s comfortably the first time i ever tried that exercise.
>>
>>34956508
So Starting Strength, Stronlifts and those types of routines are jokes that haven't helped anyone?
>>
File: g3gp0.jpg (32 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
g3gp0.jpg
32 KB, 600x400
>>34956508
But isn't that too long. I hear many people saying training should take 50min to 70min tops
>>
>>34956485

I've read stuff that says bulk to 15, cut to 10 and repeat.

I'm personally slow bulking to 20 for my first ever bulk then cutting to ten, I started at about 15 but I'm already pretty skelefat looking so don't want the look anorexic
>>
File: 1447622732802.png (74 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
1447622732802.png
74 KB, 300x256
>>34955840
No pull ups?
>>
>>34955281
Black coffee.
>>
>>34955854
>what are chin-ups?
>>
When I squat I feel like the weight is mostly on my inner feet than on my heels, how would I fix that?
>>
>>34956785
That's were its suppose to be. Mid foot.

>>34955840
You NEED rows. I'm serious, I stopped doing them and did dumbbell rows instead and my back got weak.

>>34956484
40kg is awful for shrugs. So yeah, you're doing them right.
>>
File: 1429477215215.jpg (88 KB, 600x341) Image search: [Google]
1429477215215.jpg
88 KB, 600x341
>>34957207
>40kg is awful for shrugs
G-Good to k-know.
>>
>>34957207
Oh thanks !
>>
>>34957222
Whatever man, I'm awful too.
I can barbell row 100kg for like 10 reps and I am weak as shit.

Just lift and over time you improve.
>>
PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS
I AM LURKING
>>
File: 1429833641230.jpg (38 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1429833641230.jpg
38 KB, 400x388
>>34957236
We must embrace shame and use it as fuel for our gains.
>>
>>34957310
What does 'natty' mean?
>>
>>34957334
Natural. A natural lifer is somebody who doesn't dope, which is basically take anabolic steroids and such.
>>
>>34957334
It means in accordance with the program laid down by Betty "Natty" Flannigan, a pop icon from the late 1950s renowned for her physique.
>>
>>34957310
Is it OK to let my friend jizz on my wife's feet while she is sleeping?
>>
>>34950514
mirin hard
>>
>>34957362
Nah
>>
>>34957351
Thanks.
>>
>>34957371
But why
>>
>>34957377
You're welcome, stay safe for me baby girl.
>>
>>34957391
Degenerate behaviour
>>
Everytime I go to the gym I don't feel comfortable standing between all the big guys at the free weights and I get the feeling I am looking clueless and that I am doing all the exercises with an incorrect form. Any tips for this?
>>
how much water should i be drinking? someone told me 150 OZ, or over 4 litres, a DAY.

i'm 6'4 and 210lbs.
>>
>>34957434
Doesn't matter, just go for like 2L is more than enough
>>
>>34950122
Guys something weird is going on, im seeing progress at the gym with lifts and bigger muscles but im not putting on any weight
And im gaining fat aswell
How is this possible
>>
>>34950122
Are power cleans a meme exercise? I mean its basically throwing weight from a deadlift into a front squat, why would rippetoe ask a fucking beginner to perform such a complicated movement? I've just read his book desu.
>>
What can I do to cultivate a big chest that doesnt include Bench Press?

I'd like some kind of compound in there with some accessories that dont fuck my shoulders up
>>
>>34957414
Learn form, go to the gym constantly and eventually become a big guy?
Squat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmrKmJMQnw

Bench:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=593esHz-Oqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVZqPkgdXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V189hK85BI

Deadlift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfYez7-h55c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IePuEo9qwLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlBMGsRly1c

Press:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wol7Hko8RhY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QWBjwGqVLW0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

Please note that Alan Thrall doesn't always give the best advice, especially his bench press video, but his squat video is good.

Another thing, Ive learnt a lot more from reading than watching YouTube videos, try downloading a few books from this Dropbox:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0Vyec-yHY6DVmxLeDlMMjBuV1k&usp=sharing&tid=0B0Vyec-yHY6DYmNiMkg1dlZIelU

I'd recommend the Bench specialisation manual.
>>
>>34950264
this baffles me aswell, its really annoying when people keep asking the same fucking question

this one gets me always
>I do behind the neck press those hit the rear delts right
>>
>>34950307
>does 115lbs ohp
>claims that only roids will give you big shoulders
this is what dyels believe
>>
>>34957498
Dumbbell bench press? Weighted push-ups? A machine of some sort? Experiment.

>>34957460
It's more of a skill test than an exercise IMHO. In terms of general athleticism it's great, once you've got the hang of it, it's beneficial especially if you compete in physical sports like rugby or weightlifting.

He has you doing them so early on because as a novice this is where you learn your motor patterns, once you've got the basic motor patterns down you're set for when the weight gets heavy.

I won't tell you to do them, I never did, I can't tell you what exactly they do but I know they are worthwhile if you can be bothered to learn how to do them, even if you don't play sport.
>>
>>34957498
dips

>inb4 hurts muh shoulders
stretch fagget
>>
>>34957590
They fuck with your shoulder pretty hard. I dislike them but it's moot feeling because I would like to be better at pushing myself up.
>>
>>34957609
How do dips fuck the shoulders? I've never even felt pain in my shoulder while doing dips, not even disconfort
>>
is lifting to failure bad for you central nervous system?
>>
>>34950122
What're the best breakfast cereals? Due to time constraints, I prefer to have a large enough breakfast so that I can skip lunch.
>>
>>34957644
Hm, and...?
>>
>>34957668
Explain to me how my shoulders are getting fucked pretty hard
>>
>>34957657
Oats and peanut butter.

>>34957655
I'd like to see you fatigue your CNS and lift less than 300kg.
Basically, probably no.
>>
>>34957655
Why would it?
>>
>>34957682
Explain to me how dips aren't a stressful movement.
>>
>>34957572
Yeah I kinda thought the same, I feel like there is so much room to fuck up/cheat with power cleans, especially for someone who is new to lifting.
>>
>>34957778
Probably, you learn over time though. My first squat was 20kg in my living room in nothing but my underwear.

Just under a year later I'm squatting 150kg in clothes this time.
You learn from your mistakes, you get better over time.

You have to stick with it though.
>>
so i have been cutting pretty hard...

been staying on point with my diet too, no cheating or anything but.... well i am more than just a tiny bit confused.

i started the cut at 182.6, and its about 5 days later and i am 185 (and i have been for 3 days). sounds horrible, right? but here is the thing. my vascularity has increased, and my fat deposits are shrinking (i still had a tiny bit of fat on my wrist at the start of the cut, and it is seemingly gone now).

i thought it must be water retention or something, but 3 days later and i am the same weight... no woosh effect or nothing.

i am under no illusions, obviously 3lb of muscle in 3 days is as impossible as farming unicorns...

but....
what the fuck is going on?
how can i keep track of my progress, if the scale tells me nothing useful?
>>
>>34957798
Care to recommend a good starter hypertrophy routine?
>>
brehs i just told my best friend i love her. h-hold me.
>>
>>34957888
>her
>not him
gtfo
>>
tfw internal rotation
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 640x960
>>34957888
I love pic related.

>>34957886
Honestly I wish I could but I have no idea. I have never trained for bodybuilding, always been strength training and always will.
Actually that's a lie, I did 5/3/1 for the past few months which is quite high volume in accessories and I did gain a little size.

I find it boring, but I'll give you some advice
Volume builds muscle, it's as simple as that, volume is repsXsetsXweight.
I like the old 5x10 bodybuilding style volume, 5c10 twice a week is 100 reps overall at a pretty heavy weight, that's good volume.

You can't get stronger without getting bigger, so most strength programs have enough volume for you to gain muscle and progress, just not bodybuilding esc volume so you get bigger at a lesser rate.

Frequency doesn't necessarily build muscle, it's volume, not saying frequency isn't important but as a novice or intermediate you can progress all lifts even if you do them once a week, but then again I wouldn't necessarily recommend 5/3:2 either. It's hard to get strong this way, but it's possible. Easy to get big this way though if volume is high.

If I could go back I'd do starting strength then Madcow 5x5, maybe look into those programs and add a few bodybuilding accessories appropriately?

Up to you.

>>34957860
Just an anomalie when measuring your weight, if you're getting leaner don't worry about it.
>>
>>34957888
do she have a feminine penis?
>>
>>34957993
i wish
>>
People always say to take swimming. How exactly do I pick it up? I don't know any places with a pool.
>>
>>34950122
pullups
>>
>>34958012
How did you pick up lifting? You watched some form videos are went on a spent a year practising.

If you don't have a pool to swim in then you can't :/
>>
File: DSC_0063.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0063.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>34958012
>what is the sea
its literally everywhere,i think i've never been more than 30km away from the sea and i travel a lot.
>>
>>34958066
Mate the sea is like 200 miles away from me.
>>
>>34950320
Train ur abs more, do plank, and other shit. Your abs should get to tight that when you exhale it will flex and pop.
>>
>>34958012
just do like me; fill sink with water put your head in and pretend you are a goldfish
>>
File: DSC_0008.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0008.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>34958088
>200 miles away from the sea
time to move
>>
>>34957986
>I find it boring,
what part about getting a pump and flexing in the mirror do you find "boring"?
>>
>>34958196
The volume. Doing 100 reps on the bench press isn't as fun as 3 heavy grinding reps. Progression is slower and feels less rewarding.

I also can't find a reason to look "aesthetic".
>>
File: random_shin_splints_pic.jpg (30 KB, 439x322) Image search: [Google]
random_shin_splints_pic.jpg
30 KB, 439x322
Best ways to treat shin splints and prevent them in the future? Does bad form on deadlifts cause them?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.