[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone construct their own pieces? I have a sewing machine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_4281-Edit-940x626.jpg (104 KB, 940x626) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4281-Edit-940x626.jpg
104 KB, 940x626
Does anyone construct their own pieces? I have a sewing machine I use to tailor my stuff, how can I get started fabricating items?

Interested in coats mostly.
>>
File: (N)ine_triptych1.jpg (338 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
(N)ine_triptych1.jpg
338 KB, 2400x1600
>>
>>11234507
i advise you get into patternmaking a bit and reading up about garment construction, different types of seams, types of stitching, how to count stitches per inch (mostly to get a better understanding about what you're doing for this last one)

first thing you need to do is to create a pattern
easiest way is to get a tracing wheel (can be found at joann's or your local fabric retailer), large paper (usually at least a yard wide) and make a pattern from an existing garment that fits you well

also, there's a lot of pattern block tutorials online

pic related, i was following along with one i found online using measurements from a bomber jacket i own, decided to make a digital pattern instead of drawing one

if you were to go this route, you could go to a local printer like staples or kinkos and get it printed out, cut it up, and do a quick test sew on muslin or another cheap fabric
>>
File: thesoloist32.jpg (263 KB, 695x500) Image search: [Google]
thesoloist32.jpg
263 KB, 695x500
>>11234790
Thanks for this. Do you have any recommended books on patternmaking and garment construction? Or web articles?

Would it be easiest to start with replicating pieces I like and own?
>>
File: IMG_0670.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0670.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>11235191
this is the book i used in my first apparel construction class, not the greatest thing, but it's a good start

yeah it would be easiest replicating pieces you own

i would recommend getting something you no longer wear, preferably something that isn't overlocked, and seam ripping it apart so that you can see the left sleeve, right sleeve, front bodice, back bodice, and collar pieces

having all of these, it'd be easy to iron them flat, and pin them to fabric and cut them out

lots of things you can google to figure out how to sew the pieces together

always make sure the face of the fabric (the front of the fabric) are facing each other when sewing

neck line seam allowances are always 1/4"
armhole seam allowance is only 1/4" if it is sleeveless, otherwise, it is always 1/2"
side seam is always 1/2"
hems can be sewn however you want but 1/2" is a general rule

for the center front/center back, it is a half inch when NOT on the fold

an example of something not on the fold is a t-shirt, there is no seam down the middle, so there is no seam allowance

however, a button front shirt has a left front and a right front piece, and therefore require a 1/2" seam allowance
>>
>>11235219
Thanks senpai, I'll save all this for reference. What kind of item would be the easiest to start with?

What about fabric sourcing? Are there any online retailers you use? And how do I know what kind of thread and stitching will be right for a piece? Are these things you learn intuitively?

Would you say I'm in over my head to attempt to do this on my own? There's a 2 day workshop at the end of the month on constructing a jumpsuit which is what got my interested in the idea.
>>
>>11235246
i can't think of anything that would be completely easy, really

a tshirt might fit that, but i have never used a home machine to do it, i've only used industry standard overlock machines
lots of people on the internet are able to accomplish a similar effect by using the zigzag option on their machine, though

for fabric sourcing, i would use moodfabrics.com
they're expensive, but i have never heard of anyone getting damaged fabric from there

the type of thread needed can be easily found on the internet, but manufacturers, for the most part, just use a polyester based thread
keep in mind that thicker fabrics require thicker thread

knit fabrics would require you to do a zigzag stitch
wovens can be done with either zigzag or regular, single needle stitching

these are things you would learn along with garment construction
say you were making a skirt with multiple layers of fabric, you would need to do a 4 needle overlock for the woven fabric

you are not in over your head, though it will be difficult
these are things people go to school to learn, people are trained in the job field
but, as with anything in this society, it can be learned on your own using the internet

go to the workshop, having a skilled person explain a process is a lot better than reading a list of instructions and trying to figure it out
>>
>>11235368
Hey mate, you've mentioned a lot of technical knowledge and it sounds like you have done classes/a degree in fashion, mind if I ask you a few questions?

Im considering changing my degree to fashion design and textiles. I have already made a couple articles of clothing both making my own patterns (mostly based off tracing) and using bought patterns. I think I have a good idea for textiles, trends, fashion history and fashion in general, its been a primary hobby of mine for a couple years now.

Would you recommend doing a degree in fashion? While Im sure that I would enjoy the course I'm worried about what kind of job I would be trying to get after the degree, it looks a lot like retail manager or personal shopper type of stuff. I was hoping to do more hands on work in garment creation but unless its wedding dresses I know small house couture is essentially dead. what jobs are you looking at getting from your degree? is something like operating a small online label a viable option? or even a market stall in a nice neighbourhood?

What aspect do you find least enjoyable about the degree?

thanks
>>
>>11235448
>would you recommend doing a degree in fashion
i would, but only if you can swallow the pill that there is no such thing as job security in this field
however, fashion design is a degree that is difficult to get a job with
i myself went towards apparel production for my degree
there are more jobs available for pattern makers, technical designers, pattern graders, and other careers in the product development-production sectors

the people who end up as retail managers and personal shoppers are people who did not actively seek an internship in the field
as great as a degree is, this industry cares more for work experience
people with those 2 jobs you mentioned tend to have gotten a visual merchandising degree, which means absolutely nothing at this point

>what jobs are you looking at getting from your degree?
i'm currently pursuing another production degree as my first was an associates, but i've been able to land internships as a technical designer, a production assistant, and a product development assistant
my favorite of the three is the technical designer, who essentially works with the designer, product development team, and production team in order to create what is known as a tech pack with the company's specifications for the factory

>is something like operating a small online label a viable option?
it is the only option in this current system, achievable by living near an industrial area such as LA or NYC, or having access to a grand budget in order to travel to facilities
brick and mortar is dead, but developing a presence from the ground up to direct traffic to an ecommerce site is incredibly difficult

>what aspect do you find least enjoyable about the degree?
i absolutely hated trend research and market analysis
this is more of the business side of fashion, but was a constant theme across my studies and i always found it awfully boring and redundant, as well as difficult considering the lack of information availability
>>
>>11235532
thankyou for putting so much time and effort into your reply. its really helped me clear some things up.
>>
>>11235713
no problem
it's a risky move, but if you truly love the industry and see yourself in it 10+ years from now, it's worth it
>>
>>11235722
no doubt, If I moved I'd be leaving a psychology degree and 2 years worth of work and fees. I need to first make sure that it's what I really want and where I want to be in the future.
Its funny I never considered how intense it was making decisions that are going to shape the rest of your life, but I'm soon 21 and Id rather chase my dreams now then learn that Im staying with my degree out of convince and be stuck because I never thought critically about more creative avenues.
knowing that there are jobs, that interning and working hard/consistently will get me somewhere I want to go is comforting. I can accept the lack of job security which i expected. getting into the degree may be a challenge; Ive got a good GPA but if I don't double my efforts this sem will be hard to maintain, as well as making a small portfolio but nothing out of reach

thanks again
>>
>>11235722
Actually one last question, would you think it's possible to get an internship before I started the actual course. I would be interested in getting a feel for the industry first as well as it would make it easier to get into the right degree.
>>
>>11235820
absolutely
dependent on your location of course
most internships require a relevant degree, but i would just lie about it and just say you've been taking general ed courses and have yet to get into the major core classes
i would look at design internships, production internships, and product development internships

product development is the middle focus, as they work with both design and production
>>
>>11235826
Thanks mate, youve helped a tonne
>>
>>11235856
no problem

read this
http://1granary.com/interviews/the-gvasalia-effect/
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.