[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fa/ novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10
File: No_Longer_Human.jpg (28 KB, 750x1050) Image search: [Google]
No_Longer_Human.jpg
28 KB, 750x1050
What are some /fa/ novels and authors?

I think pic related is a good contender.
>>
Murakami is the Macbook of the literary world.
>>
>>11165954
This in terms of depth, I guess.

He really just over describes everything, which at first comes across as neat and intentional, but eventually reveals itself as more of a crutch in hopes you'll apply your own meaning to details. He has no subtlety, has very little to say outside of fairly obvious opinions and prevalent opinions on humanity, and is generally a failure to write anything but vapid reassurances to the crowd of millennials who find themselves as intellectuals with no intent to accept information of the world that doesn't fit their cynical narrative of veiled narcissism.

He's an obvious product of the computer age, something he openly admits and even advertises, but unfortunately isn't able to teach us anything about what that actually means other than a constant supply of gratuitous information.

He's just another pop author. That said, it's cool he's gotten people who haven't read anything since their high school education to be interested in literature.
>>
this has fucking nothing to do with /fa/
go to the correct board
>>
>>11166157
were you describing murakami or pic related?
>>
depression is not fa
>>
>>11166390
Sorry, should have been specific, Murakami.
>>
>>11166406
>implying suicide at age 55 isn't the only /fa/ end to life
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 387x590) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 387x590
>>
File: lit1.jpg (3 MB, 2385x3200) Image search: [Google]
lit1.jpg
3 MB, 2385x3200
Big chunky doorstoppers look the most fashionable, but slim books look good peeking out of the back pocket of your jeans

A big book shows that you spend your freetime to grow intellectually and other qualities that are associated with people who dedicate themselves to the written word

The books you read in public should have a positive critical reception (that shows that you value your time)

No genre shit since that is escapism for the sake of escapism
>>
NLH was good, but I actually liked Setting Sun a lot more. Maybe it's because I can identify more with the female protagonist, which in itself is rather fa
>>
>>11166863
>which in itself is rather fa
how
>>
don't read books to be fashionable.

read books because they're good books.
>>
>>11166891
this
exactly why i always have a couple choose your own scare goosebumps on me
>>
andrea dworkin
>>
File: 193.jpg (32 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
193.jpg
32 KB, 260x400
>>
File: God_Emperor_of_Dune_Cover_Art.jpg (123 KB, 306x512) Image search: [Google]
God_Emperor_of_Dune_Cover_Art.jpg
123 KB, 306x512
>>
File: Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg (12 KB, 235x350) Image search: [Google]
Neuromancer_Brazilian_cover.jpg
12 KB, 235x350
>there are people who claim to be cyberpunk fans - and who are posting cyberpunk fashion in threads on this very board - who haven't read Neuromancer
>>
File: 81MrsE-YsiL.jpg (406 KB, 1667x2560) Image search: [Google]
81MrsE-YsiL.jpg
406 KB, 1667x2560
Semiotext(e). If you don't recognize this as /fa/ as fuck, you're not. Not that it's actually cool to read, Kraus' video green or where art belongs is cooler, but not as obviously 'fashionable'

>>11167202
>gibson
>valuable or originary cyberpunk
kill yourself poser
>>
>>11167225
Please tell me what works of this "genre" that might be more valuable to read other than Necromancer.

Also, what works do you claim precede it?
>>
File: 1459896996019-0.jpg (94 KB, 357x500) Image search: [Google]
1459896996019-0.jpg
94 KB, 357x500
>>11167234
>what works
hell just get semiotext's anthology, USA 13. Used copies are cheap as fuck on amazon, but I can promise you they won't be in a few years. at least take a look at its list of contributors & editors. It's considered the seminal collection of early cyberpunk for a reason

>Also, what works do you claim precede it?
Burroughs, Ballard and Philip K Dick obviously - the former two happen to be /fa/ scifi; Gibson and Dune aren't in the slightest FYI - but there's also more distant origins in Samuel Butler, Stanislaw Lem etc.
>>
>>11167198
Why God Emperor in particular?
>>
File: tomas.jpg (112 KB, 778x1216) Image search: [Google]
tomas.jpg
112 KB, 778x1216
these are always the cringiest threads

picturing you dweebazoids going through books at strand trying to find the one that would make you look coolest to hold on the subway gives me a chuckle

anyway here's your book idiots
>>
>>11167302
>Leto II gets sick cops out in the desert
>spends 3500 years in that fit, bending what it means to be Man - and bending Mankind along with it
>>
>>11167262
have you read to our friends yet? what do you think?
>>
>>11166470
>55
>wanting to live past 28
>>
>>11167320
>le edgy youthful hipster meme
>>
>>11167302
I would say all 6 books by Herbert cover some very /fa/ ideas indeed - but to boil down the essence of the series into a single book, I would have to choose either the first or God Emperor. I chose God Emperor because it has a larger scope, and has more ideas.

Don't get me wrong, though, the first book can be very /fa/. Don't let Lynch's images cloud this, either.
>>
File: 1459366092412.jpg (343 KB, 1095x1195) Image search: [Google]
1459366092412.jpg
343 KB, 1095x1195
>>11167316
no, have you? i haven't been reading anything for months. I'm too depressed
>>
>>11165915
No Longer Human isn't effay because it's too blatant, you need more refined depression like Yukiguni
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.