[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cities Ranking Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
http://www.atkearney.com/research-studies/global-cities-index/full-report

Check the 2014 statistics, and then share your opinions on metropolitan areas around the globe.

Those of you that live downtown in an urban center:
>Share your lifestyle and experiences
>Give your opinion on people's ability to dress
>Local scenes, music, urban youth attitudes.

Extra points for people who have grew up from a young age or live there as a young professional, since 60% of people on this board are students living downtown on mom and dad's dime. Extra extra points for a having insight into a city that's not NYC, London, or LA.

>Bonus Points Tier: You live downtown in a Top 20 "Emerging Cities"
>>
>>9632716
LA over Chicago
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
Who Pittsburgh here?
>>
>>9632716
Washington, DC here. Northwest, yuppie, not a dumbass student.

It definitely has it's world class feel due to all the fucking embassy babes and au-pairs running around being sluts. Social scenes are nice and compartmentalized to neighborhoods, local hardcore music scene is still pretty authentic. I'd say there are way more /fa/ older people running around down on K-Street without evening trying to be, it's sartorialist without the tryhardness. Most of the young people and students dress tacky or "southern gentlemen" and gives the entire city a well deserved bad fashion rep.

As far as the east coast goes, it's only city worth living in from Maine to Florida besides NYC. Everything else is too small, too cheap, or too shit tier.
>>
>>9632716
Houston here.
Glad I live away from the blacks and Mexicans. See you niggers at Fitzgeralds July 17th!
>>
>NY

but everything smells like piss
>>
>>9632716
Top 84 cities. If you're not in this list, sorry.

You are thinking of debating this list? Don't. It's AT Kearney, a top 10 global management consulting firm with 1.1 billion in revenue across international markets. Don't try to post your Huffington Post, Daily Mail, or Chinese shill "top cities list"
>>
>>9632807
Another Houstonian checking in
>>
>>9632716
>http://www.atkearney.com/research-studies/global-cities-index/full-report
I've only been to a six of the top 20 cities (+ Caracas when I was a child) and only experienced one as a non-tourist. I think I might be one of less than five Toronto posters who actually lives downtown. That said, the megacity relies on its commuters from all kinds of neighbourhoods.

>share your lifestyle and experiences
I've lived here since I was 18, lived alone in a rented apartment in the gay neighbourhood for three years, then in a shared student house, now in a soulless condo among other condos. I will have lived here for 5 years by August. As a city, Toronto has a lot more than the rest of Canada. Some people that Montreal has it all, but I find Montreal far too cold and its airport doesn't fly direct to many places. Businesses are confined to being bilingual in Francophone Canada.

>give your opinion on people's ability to dress
People try more than they would in smaller towns. An especially high concentration of immigrants means a combination of people who really care about how they look alongside people who are just trying to make it. There are lots of fashion niches, based on neighbourhoods, family backgrounds, income levels. Appearance is important for young people, but not especially accessible. Most designer fashion is marketed to a niche of 45+-year-olds. The moneyed youth are presumed to be able fly to New York on a whim to buy goods.

>local scenes, music, urban youth attitudes
I can't comment on most scenes. I'm not familiar enough to explain. Most big or relevant acts will stop in Toronto. We have some musicians. We have some music festivals. We have grants from the government to promote the production and promotion of Canadian music. We also have the Toronto International Film Festival, and a lot of different cinemas that showcase independent and art house film throughout the year. Nothing out of the ordinary for a city. TIFF is now only second to Cannes.
>>
>>9632829
There's a big push for diversity and lots of different ethnicities offer the opportunity to learn experiences from people firsthand. Most of it is a bit deeper than "diversity for the sake of diversity," and encourages people to interact with each other and learn from each other. Some festivals promote this kind of thing too.

Gentrification of older areas is a problem and a blessing. I read about how new neighbourhoods are required to offer a certain percentage of homes subsidized to low income families to a) prevent ghettos from forming, b) prevent the city from relying too much on foreign investors to buy its new shoebox properties. I think that is a cool way of managing a growing city.

>most big or relevant acts
also exhibits. Toronto eventually gets most important exhibits and gallery shows. Other Canadian cities barely get anything, except sometimes dinosaur bones.

tl;dr Toronto is probably the best you can do in Canada. You can probably find people you fit in with here.
>>
File: 713h-town.jpg (110 KB, 766x1024) Image search: [Google]
713h-town.jpg
110 KB, 766x1024
>>9632807
>>9632826
Third.

Also,
>Caracas
What the fuck? That city and that country have been in a downward spiral for like 20 years now and it isn't going to get any better any time soon. It's so much worse now than it was even a few years ago.
>>
>>9632849
P sure we're the only houstonians that are here.
Also sorry if you're black or mexican. I like everyone and grew up in south houston. It's actually not that bad.
>>
>>9632849
Also as far as what Houston is like: I'm living outside downtown Houston (on my scholarship's dime, not my parents' thank you very much). Most of the city is a sprawling mess of highways built on top of an awful swamp with terrible weather. There are endless suburbs in every direction and they're all completely interchangeable. My school is in the middle of a pretty awful area. Luckily there's a huge variety of neighborhoods though, and you can find almost any atmosphere or any type of experience you like. Generally the fashion sense is pretty poor everywhere, though.

>>9632861
I'm Hispanic but upper middle class and I live away from the blacks and mexicans too. I grew up in what I think is the nicest of all the suburbs (sugar land).
>>
>>9632889
I grew up like middle class or lower middle class but now like upper middle class. It's great now. But my childhood was really fun. Playing outside, school was shit because it was south houston. But I made tons of friends and stuff. I like never seen a white person that wasnt tatted up or just complete trash until I moved to the deerpark Laporte area. It's pretty shit here tbh.
Everyone here works in the plants and it's the only thing they strive to do. The pay for it is really good but it's crazy that people work their whole lives doing this shit everyday. Houston fashion wise is pretyy shit. But there's a few stores in the galleria and Ian Connor is opening up a store here too so hopefully that'll make things a little better here.
>>
File: calvin3.jpg (13 KB, 124x100) Image search: [Google]
calvin3.jpg
13 KB, 124x100
what is this list based upon? since this is /fa/ is this ranking compared to the cities fashion sense or whatever lol
>>
>>9632901
The galleria is nice but the only well dressed people there are the rich Mexican or Arab tourists. I've been around Pasadena a lot and I know plenty of welders who live there and I agree that it's a horrible place to live and a horrible lifestyle. I'm studying engineering though, so unless I move somewhere else I'll probably end up working in oil and I'll either have a desk job or have to work in the hellhole that is Texas City.
>>
>>9632889
Sugar Land is okay as far as suburbs go but The Woodlands is definitely the nicest. It's really well designed and everyone are rich white people.
>>9632927
In my experience people in the trendy parts of The Heights are pretty fashionable. In general Houston is terrible for fashion.
>>
I've lived in Sydney my entire life and currently going to the university of Sydney. I don't live downtown but p. close to all the "cool" spots. Honestly the overall fashion is a mixed bag; you see a lot of people who aren't really dressing well and trends are behind the US as far as I know. If you end up living here do know that Sydney, and most of Australia, is pretty expensive to live in.
>>
>>9632927
>>9632962

What school do you guys go to?
>>
>>9632962
I kind of consider the Woodlands to be its own thing though, it's huge and so goddamn far from the city. It does seem like a very nice place to be middle aged and boring, though.

It seems to me like most of Heights is just bearded hipsters in flannel, nothing especially /fa/. I'll admit that most of my visits to the Heights have been for /mu/-core concerts at Fitzgerald's though, so that's probably influenced my perception a lot.
>>
>>9632972
>going to college in the middle of nigville
UH, duh. Speaking of which, I thought college students were supposed to be /fa/? Sure doesn't seem like it here.
>>
>>9632986
Yeah the crowd at Fitz is... interesting. Not really a good representation of the heights.
The Woodlands is definitely boring middle age tier except for the waterway. I've been there a few times and there's actually some cool shops and stuff and the small theater is nice.
>>
>>9632995
Most of the people here are middleschoers Anon.
I got to community college :/
My grades in highschool weren't good. But hopefully I can transfer somewhere.
>>
>>9632716
>mexico city
>one of the densest, biggest and more populated cities in the world
>not appearing there
i think i can see why but what are these charts based on? culturaly? economicaly?
>>
>>9633019
Most effay
>>
>>9633019
mexico is a failed fucking state

why would they advertise it's capital as a global hotspot?

like asking why ISIS contested combat zones aren't on the chart

or the west bank/gaza strip

"located just walking distance from Israel, this scenic town will soon be annexed forcibly by the jewish settlers, property values are expected to rise!"
>>
Yeah, I don't think there's much use to these charts.

I live in a small dutch city, lived in Amsterdam for a few years but didn't like it.
Plenty of parties etc... but the artscene is sorta dead. It was all acceptable in the 80's, same with fashion. Went there a lot as a kid bc my dad lives there. City is going to shit.
I think this counts for a lot of european cities. Poverty kicking in in the suburbian areas, and an increasing hatred of foreigners(this REALLY is a big thing!). Belgian, Germany and france all coping with this, other countries I don't visit often. All the money is spent on central monuments and events, the rest is degrading.. Also know in Berlin Kreuzberg/neukolln people get tired of tourists and yuppies. You'll see almost no natives anymore- which means all activities and fashion forwardness is exactly the same.

Now for some cities that will be able to provide a more authentic lifestyle:
Antwerp- You'll find the most amazing fucking fashion
Gent- Very beautiful city, great nightlife, great beers
Munchen- Great innovative industrial centre, getting expensive but still good for starters
Rotterdam- Sorry to my A'dam friends;) though fashion here is a bit tacky, nightlife still hardcore, art is more modern

I love Avignon and southern france, very chic, drinking champagne for lunch, suits you;d work a lifetime for to pay off. But I don't think you're looking for info on farmers markets and pitoresque miniature towns.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.