[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone up for an LED flashlight discussion? Pic related: my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14
File: Fenix-E12-LED-Flashlight.jpg (38 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Fenix-E12-LED-Flashlight.jpg
38 KB, 600x400
Anyone up for an LED flashlight discussion?

Pic related: my most recent model. It's OK, I know there are better ones.
>>
Fuck that. I've used the same Fenix at work for 2 years. Fits right in my pocket and does a damn good job.
>>
Wanted to keep the OP short, but here are my observations so far:

1. They used to all suck, but they're getting better all the time. I would never go back to incandescent.
2. They are expensive. I'm OK with that, but there are so many brands it is impractical for one person to compare 20 of them.
3. At the stores they are in packaging that does not lend itself to quickly testing for fitness.
4. Some are great for close up but all I have used are mediocre at best for longer distances.
5. Because I lose these a lot and I would like to have one for each car, two or three around the house, one for the bench, one for work, and one for my pocket because my sight is shit, I would buy about 12 of them if I could find one worthy.
>>
>>976083
I had a Quark AA2 R5
It was really great, but it got stolen or I lost it or something.
Havent seen it in years and its made me so mad that I wont buy high end flashlights.

I have a few LED Maglites, I have the XL100, an original aa Maglite LED with single mode, and the upgraded Maglite LED with the 3 modes.
They work fine and are cheap
>>
File: LED Lenser M7.jpg (95 KB, 1499x618) Image search: [Google]
LED Lenser M7.jpg
95 KB, 1499x618
>>976085
Hey I like it too. Just thinking there is another brand/model for same price that is more versatile. I had pic related previously that was a little thicker (used 4 x AAA) that could stand on it's butt, light up the ceiling, and effectively act as a room lamp spent 3 days without power once and this thing saved my ass. Batteries leaked eventually and destroyed it, and at $70, I can't afford a dozen of these.

Too big for pocket too.
>>
>>976090
>got stolen or I lost it or something.
>Havent seen it in years and its made me so mad that I wont buy high end flashlights

I know that feelin. What kinda fuck steals a man's high-end flashlight? That's like someone 'accidentally' walking off with your grandpa's war Zippo 'out of habit'.
>>
File: 1436568387192-P-2822645.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1436568387192-P-2822645.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
I got this awhile ago a I like it a lot. Single button press turns it on to your last setting. Double tap the button and it goes to max brightness. Press and hold for 1 second and it goes on in 'moonlight' mode (extremely dim).

Best part is the magnetic base thingy to recharge it. Set this shit on your nightstand and you always have a light you can grab. Can't speak to it's durability yet as I haven't fucked it up much. Other lights I have are a Fenix PD32, a PD35, and a custom made job in a solarforce body.
>>
File: Pelican-3715-Flashlight.jpg (42 KB, 740x800) Image search: [Google]
Pelican-3715-Flashlight.jpg
42 KB, 740x800
I have one of these with the glowing ring around the light.
pretty great
Greatest part was it was "broken" so I got it for free
>>
>>976083
I have a $5 ebay headlamp I use when working on cars.
Lasts long, headband is comfy, and I used a different lens to make it a bit more floody and thus better for lighting things up 1~3ft in front of me.
There's also various ebay 18650 flashlights and a hugsby xp1(?). They all work perfectly fine when I need them.
>>
>>976296
Add to that a modified Ikea jansjo ('daylight'/~5000K led) with it's own 10Ah battery pack and magnetic base. Don't know why there aren't any battery powered gooseneck lamps with decent output.
>>
>>976083
plebs not using one that takes 18650s

http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-UltraFire-Battery-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B011Y6WCDG
>>
>>976345
I really want these without all the disco modes. They're annoying as fuck.
>>
>>976369
I'm pretty sure that's the same one I have

it does have 5 modes, but it does not remember position so you don't have to cycle through each time
>>
Iv been looking for an LED headlamp for camping. Any recommendations? It needs to be fairly light and compact so no separate battery pack. ideally 1 18650 and one nice bright, efficient LED. I was thinking of building one but it might be cheaper to buy
>>
File: OT-150L.jpg (15 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
OT-150L.jpg
15 KB, 450x450
Ozark Trail 150 lumen with a CREE COB led. Was about $17 at walmart. I think Ozark Trail is walmart's house brand for camping gear. Thick aluminum case. A little bit heavy for the size, but a great light.
You pretty much can't go wrong with a CREE led. The chip-on-board (COB) type is basically a bunch of micro sized leds laid out on a grid. The "bulb" looks like a small yellow wafer, but it is super bright and super efficient.
>>
File: M21X-2.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2176) Image search: [Google]
M21X-2.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2176
>>
File: Flashlight.Family.jpg (460 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
Flashlight.Family.jpg
460 KB, 2304x1536
>>976083
My only LED flashlight is an L3 L11C with 4500K Nichia 219B emitter. Second from left in picture. I wanted an LED flashlight for EDC purposes and it was the only viable option I could find that came with an LED up to my standards.

All my other flashlights are still incandescent because I can't stand the overwhelming majority emitters put in flashlights. Yes, most are far better these days than they were a decade ago, but they're still plagued by ridiculously high CCTs, low CRIs, and unnatural tint issues.

If I could easily drop high CRI Nichia LEDs into my Maglites, I would certainly do it, especially if I could them with a 3000-3500K CCT. I find 4500K to be a bit too high for outdoor night use. I'm sure it would be possible to custom-build something but I just haven't found the motivation to learn how to do it and put the time/money in.
>>
>>976103
Did you get it from a fire department?
>>
>>976369
I have one that looks similar to that. If you want to eliminate the disco modes, you need to pull out the driver board, and then use a pencil to draw a line on top of the brown capacitors.

The way that you get to the driver board is you remove the top part with the LED, and then on the side that makes contact with the battery there should be a little notch that allows you to stick a pin or something in to pry it up.

The fix still lets you cycle the modes if you turn it on and off fast enough, or if you do a half press, but if you turn it off and then on again after a second, it should automatically go to the high setting.
>>
>>976345
This light sells for $4 on aliexpress if you have a month to wait.
>>
File: 20160413_154947_1000.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160413_154947_1000.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Ive had this for about a year and a half. Like 8$ at Home Depot. Pretty much all I need. Good weight, easy to press button on back, decent throw and brightness.
>>
File: ZJstyle 2200 Lumens.jpg (20 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
ZJstyle 2200 Lumens.jpg
20 KB, 425x425
Have ordered pic related from Amazon.

It takes 1 x 26650 Battery, which I bought separately.

Is it any good? I can always send it back if it's shit.
>>
I work for a tactical/work retailer and we sell these on the daily. The markup on these is insane and the stats are unreliable to say the least. Never buy into any ads saying 'just made legal for civilian use' etc. The Fenix/Nebo/streamlight/surefire are all quality brands though
>>
File: portable sun.jpg (20 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
portable sun.jpg
20 KB, 320x180
I hope this doesn't qualify as a shitpost, but this is /diy/, and this guy built a fucking handheld sun
https://youtu.be/we4DU6CZKfU
>>
>>978703
I need this on my motorcycle. so I can blind all the dicks with lifted trucks and a thousand headlights across their hoods blinding me.
>>
>>976083
>>976085
Same here, used my fenix for 2-3 years at work, pretty satisfied with it. Pd-model I think, uses 2 cr123-batts.
>>
File: ultrafire.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ultrafire.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>976083
>have led flashlight
>looks like pic related
>labeled "Ultrafire"
>labeled "Cree"
>under Cree was clearly stamped over something else, cant tell what. looks like "XM"
>has standard rechargeable battery for ultrafire, only one though
>whole thing is made of like 5 peices that are finely threaeded and screw together
>reflector and slide focus piece have a gasket as if water proof, but reflector has a quarter inch groove carved under the gasket making any form of waterproofing piontless
>rubber on off button falls out all the time, stopped using it and just jam my finger in there now
>every so often it starts fuckign up, wont stay on, flickers non stop
>the vaccume from the slide focus can somehow change the light mode, so if I change beam mods too fast, or at all, it will shift from hight to medium to low, to seizure mode, to sos, and back to high. its a pain in the ass.
>every so often have to "rebuild" it by taking it all the way apart, afterwards it will work good again.
I dont know what the fuck I actually have, but when it works I like it, but usually it gives me nothing but truouble. Its proven to be too unrealiable for walking innawoods at night, and would not use it in any situation that needing to see is vital for my saftey or security.
when I want a light capable of lighting up a house down the street, it is my go to.
I have no reason to disbelieve that this is a cree led, it works well. I do question whether or not it is an authentic ultrafire though.
also the wrist strap broke within the first week of owning it, allowed light to fall to the floor.
>>
>>978704
have a car in truck country, I know your pain.
also people on motorcycles driving around with highbeams on all day and night as assholes too.
>>
>>978921 (You)
for accuracys sake I just measured the hole in the reflector piece. It appears to be 1/4 of a drill hole so it is not a perfect semicircle. It has a depth of 2mm and a width of 6mm. The rubber oring/gasket bridges over top of this gap/hole thing. truely chink engineering at its finest.
>>
>ITT: op shills an overpriced piece of shit.
>>
>>978928

>Misses a word out that completely changes the meaning of the sentence.
>Doesn't capitalise the first word in every sentence
>Omits the apostrophe in "accuracy's"
>Omits the hyphen, and capital letter, in "O-ring".
>Misspells "truly"

Truly, American typing at it's finest.
>>
>>978932

It's is the conjunction for "it is" ya jerk
>>
>>978932
>Truly, American typing at it's finest.
>it's

Oh, the irony.
>>
>>978955
No quotation marks around "It's." You guys are all batting .000.

Nice dubs though.
>>
>>978958

No shit, the point is who cares that much about grammar on the interbuttz, its not a goddamn essay!
>>
>>978955
>>978956

>Being this rused.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.
>>
>>978959

>the "It's not an essay" meme

Keke.
>>
>>978932
Something is wrong with me and I dont know what. Usually I can type well but today and yesterday I have been messing everything up, sometimes even typing completely wrong words. It also feels like I'm about to black out. Not that you care about any of that, go ahead and shitpost some more, that is what you are here for.
>>
>>978932
>Misses a word out
Also holy fuck, did you really fuck up the first part of the first sentence of a post dedicated solely to scrutinizing the way I typed my post?
>>
>>978982

Thanks, desu <3
>>
>>978985
Thanks for what?
>>
>>978997

Improving your grammar.
>>
>>979004
I usually make it a point to speak and type properly.
What word filters to desu?
>>
>>979009

I typed "desu", but I think f a m (minus the spaces) filters to "desu".
>>
>>978932
>Measuring in millimeters
>American typing

Yeah sure, buddy
>>
>>979011
He was right though. I just happen to be an American that uses metric units for distances and sizes under a foot.
I said quarter inch in my first post because its just such a pleasant term.
I never mix units in the same measurement, for example I wouldn't say 1 inch 2 mm. I use metric for volume and small sizes, and use imperial units for almost everything else.
>>
>>979010
>I typed "desu"
You know its bad when you cant spot the weeb anymore
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
Anyone have one of these cheap ass rechargeable "10 watt" floodlights?
How are they?
>>
>>979020
I have one with 9 leds in it and its burn your eyes out bright, cant remember how long it lasts.
>>
>>979020
No, but they look like a good idea. How much are they?
>>
>>979020
I've had some supplied by firms that I've subcontracted to before. I've never had one that switched on. Not sure if they were broken or just flat but I'm still waiting for one that works.
>>
>>978922
That's for visibility, since motorcyclists aren't as visible as a car.
>>
>>979042
I dont give a fuck what its for. I have hypersensitivity to light and I hate everyone with high beams on.
Your "its for visibility" is my "excruciating pain".
All it does is make me want to drive into you. It fucking hurts.
>>
>>979023
$19 on ebay
>>
>>979048
You obviously have a disability, both mental and physical, and shouldn't be allowed to drive.
>>
>>979185
I am more than capable of driving, disabilities do not mean that I am not capable of living life.
>>
>>976083
Did you make it?

>>/out/
>>
>>979009

I was wrong.

Here is a list of the filters that Nu Moot has installed...

t b h - desu
s m h - baka
f a m - senpai
c u c k - kek
>>
>>979187
Why don't you wear polarized glasses?
>>
>>979188
I guess that tool thread should fuck off to /out/ as well?
>>
>>978958
>No quotation marks around "It's." You guys are all batting .000.

... and the full-of-"shitness" continues.

> adding " " around "It's" is not equivalent to correctly noting as "(sic.)".
> "It's." <--- The period should be outside the quotes, unless the original you are citing had a period afterwards, which it doesn't. If it did, you are still missing the period outside the quotes to close the sentence.
> ".000" requires a leading 0, i.e. "0.000". At no time is it correct to begin a word with a decimal and the only case where a decimal can have a space before it is if the decimal itself is part of a list, e.g. "...#, ., -, and ! are my favorite punctuation marks.".
>>
>>979299

>Not understanding the correct use of quoting, and (sic).
>Not realising that American and British English have different rules regarding the use of punctuation around quotation marks at the end of sentences.
>A full stop followed by a quotation mark followed by a full stop might be acceptable in American English (citation needed) but it is never acceptable in British English.

Check your privilege.
>>
>>979295

tools are used to make things yourself

that's in the definition of "tool"
>>
>>979283
I have sun glasses, I don't know anything about polarized glasses. I'll have to look into it.
I've been wearing the sunglasses during the day, especially since its summer, but they arnt practical to wear at night.

I just looked those up, they look like a good idea. Ill look into getting a pair, thanks for suggesting them.
>>
>>979281
Thanks, for the list. I didn't think c u c k was filtered.
cuck
>>
>>979326
flashlights are a form of tool, you need to see to make.
>>
File: IMG_20160416_193931.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160416_193931.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
Posting sexy pocket wear. Anyone want to see a plastidipping gone horribly wrong?
>>
>>979478

>can type cuck

heh. That must have been dropped, then.

>Can't type desu, baka, or senpai
>>
>>979307
american here, my english teacher yells at me for quoting like
>mark said "hi".
She makes me say everything like
>mark said "hi."

I think the second one is retarded, because mark didnt say '.' , he only said hi.
I know she would yell at me and say I should have said it ".," like what the fuck.
>>
>>979531
>plastidipping gone horribly wrong?
yup
>>
>>979299
Holy shit, I think you're right. I'd even typed out a reply to the contrary, but then I thought about question marks and the rules for using them with quotations, and dammit, I think you're right. I'm so disgusted with myself I'll just give you the "0.000" correction without even looking it up. Sigh. What a shitty day. Add to that the fact that even though I ALWAYS double space at the end of a sentence, it seems the software here changes it to single spaced monkey typing... I'm just going to bed. Not even gonna jerk it tonight. Too depressed.
>>
>>979718

>mark said "hi."

This is correct for American English (apart from the capitalisation), all punctuation goes inside the quotation marks at the end of a sentence.

British English is more contextual with the placement of punctuation around quotation marks at the end of a sentence.
>>
>>979299
>>979737

Samefagging
>>
>>976083
I got a maglite solitare on my keys and some off brand headlamp for when I need it
>>
>>979833
>This is correct for American English
Yea, Ive learned that now but I still say its retarded.
I believe that ". should be the correct form because the quote is part of the sentence, but the punctuation of the sentence is not part of the quote.
>>
>>979905
Count me in as an American who does it that way because the American rule of putting unrelated punctuation inside the quote is absolutely retarded and illogical.

Fuck the grammar police.
>>
>>979918
cool, now we just need a couple dozen more and me might stand a chance of fixing this clusterfuck
>>
>>979834
Sadly, no anon. I wish it were true, but he's right. But the joke's on him: I'd already jerked it before I posted! Ha!
>>
>>978703
That's no shitpost anon, that is a shining tower of /diy/ in a sea of consumerist garbage!
>>
>>979973
agreed
>>978703
yup, not a shit post.
I would build one myself if I didnt think it would 1, be expensive as fuck
2, burn close to the temperature of the sun
3, weigh >20 pounds
4, have a battery life of 5 minutes
>>
>>976345
>>976296
are you guys using these daily?
ive had 2 18650 torches off ebay, brightness and that are good but the batteries shit themselves almost straight away, not holding charge

am i just getting bad batteries or is this common
>>
>>980281
probably protected cells, and you are probably not using them correctly

Lithium cells are very finicky about being under and overcharged.
They will blow up in a big ass fire if they get discharged too low then recharged.

Thats why they add protection circuits to them, and when you get them out of spec they will just quit working.

They are too much of a pain in the ass to use as an EDC light, which is why I still use AAs for most of my lights. Just throw some fucking eneloops in it and go.
>>
>>980282
>Lithium cells are very finicky about being under and overcharged.
well isnt that shit
>>
>>980300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzEHsJVZhA
>>
>>979187
If you're unable to see in the daylight and suffer from nearly uncontrollable road rage at night, it sounds like you should be culled from the gene pool.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.