[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Acoustic Experts, Soundproofing Need Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: diagram.jpg (48 KB, 652x391) Image search: [Google]
diagram.jpg
48 KB, 652x391
Are there any acoustics experts on here?

I am trying to soundproof a room in order to contain my roommates snoring. This is a low bass sound, so it is tricky.

I have planned a three phase project to reduce costs. (See diagram) The problem is soundproofing is expensive for a poor-fag like me, and I am trying to essentially make his snoring inaudible, even the low bass rumbling.

I have a couple questions then:

>Is there any sort of cheap material I could stick on the walls to first test where the best "hotspots" are? Where I will get the most benefit from using acoustic foam?

>What materials should I use for this to specifically block snoring? Where should I put them on the diagram?
>>
>>941336
This is a mind over matter thing.
Stop letting it get to you.
It's not the snoring that's keeping you awake, it's you noticing the snoring, getting aggravated at the snoring which activates your sympathetic systems which keeps you awake. It's literally the same thing as like if someone gets chewed out at work/is expecting something bad to happen the next day, and can't fall asleep because of it.

If you really feel you need to do something, buy a loud ass fan to inject some white noise.
>>
Get some earplugs poorfag.

Acoustic foam is nothing but pretty to look at, especially to bass frequencies and foam, bass traps etc are basically room treatment not sound proofing. You'll be wasting your money.

For soundproofing done right it is usually effective to build airtight rooms within rooms. You need to decouple these from anything which can transmit vibrations and add mass to surfaces to reduce vibrations where you can't have a sufficient quantity of air.

The cheapest solution would be to build a sealed box around your bed and ventilate it using a 90' bend.
>>
Thanks for the input.
>>941340
I know its unnaturally loud and irritating.
>>941343
Pointing away from his room of course.

My bedframe is already on four legs. What materials would you recommend for this?
>>
Sound engineer reporting in.

I'm afraid there's not really a lot you can do about it. Sound proofing is a rather expensive task that has to be done when the building is built in the first place.

Acoustic dampening foam is designed to reduce reflections in a room to avoid reverberation and phase cancellations (When two pressure waves cross each other at different point in the cycle and cancel each other out).

Apart from anything, you get what you pay for with acoustic foam. The cheaper stuff doesn't work and the more expensive stuff is probably out of your budget if you have a room mate..

If you want to cut down reveberation of the sound, then you're best buying what's called bass traps, which are essentially just big pyramids of foam that go in corners. But to make any difference these would have to go in your room mates room and almost certainly wouldn't create a lower dB in your room.

If you're willing to spend a bit of money, I'm afraid your best option is either buying a good quality pair of FITTED ear plugs (some are so comfy you literally wont even notice them) or pay for your room mate to have surgery to reduce his snoring.

Sorry I can't help more!
>>
If your prisoner is making too much noise, you need to actually carry out a couple threats to make them see reason.

This is why basements are so popular, the surrounding earth absorbs the vibrations from the noise and deadens the sound.

Failing that, and assuming no neighbors to hear him (was he the neighbor?) Then just get yourself some earplugs. Foam does squat, unless you stuff his nostrils with it.
>>
Maybe there should be a sticky on DIY soundproofing. There is a thread on this every few days and the answer has never changed.

>agram.jpg (48 KB, 652x391)
Acoustic Experts, Soundproofing Need Help Anonymous 02/04/16(Thu)13:57:42 No.941336▶>>941340
Are there any acoustics experts on here?

I am trying to soundproof a room in order to contain my roommates snoring. This is a low bass sound, so it is tricky.

I have planned a three phase project to reduce costs. (See diagram) The problem is soundproofing is expensive for a poor-fag like me, and I am trying to essentially make his snoring inaudible, even the low bass rumbling.

I have a couple questions then:

>Is there any sort of cheap material I could stick on the walls to first test where the best "hotspots" are? Where I will get the most benefit from using acoustic foam?

>What materials should I use for this to specifically block snoring?

It's called a CPAP. Tell your roommate to go to the fucking doctor.
>>
>>941360
Thats okay you did help alot. Physics is Physics, I'm just trying to figure out the best solution.

>>941343
I was thinking of getting a cheap bunk bed frame and working off of that. Maybe I'll create a box around the frame with a door so its basically a NEETchamber.

Any suggestions for a certain style or material?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.