[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Multi-tools and maintaining them...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: ToolBench8in1MultiTool.png (94 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
ToolBench8in1MultiTool.png
94 KB, 350x350
So I just saw these ( see image ) at my local Dollar Tree and bought four of them to be beaters. A dollar a piece seemed like a bargain for a cheap beater but I noticed the blades are not sharp at all. This also happens to be my first experience with owning a knife for every day carry and I'm wondering how to maintain the blades on them. They were dull right out of the box.

How do you sharpen your knives and keep the tools on your multi-tool working? If you were going to buy an expensive multi-tool which would you buy and why? I know these tools are not meant to replace a tool kit and I don't intend to use them that way but what sort of projects/in what situations would you use a multi-tool?
>>
File: LeathermanSidekick.jpg (29 KB, 522x617) Image search: [Google]
LeathermanSidekick.jpg
29 KB, 522x617
Sorry, I don't know. I just wanted you to know that, I too is a proud Multi-tool owner since 0 days back! Just bought this beauty. And that I'm browsing this thread.
>>
Very nice! I've heard wonderful things about Leatherman. I hope you enjoy it!
>>
>>919283
If you don't know when to use it, why buy 4?
Why buy 4 in the first place?
Anyhow, I only like to carry multitools on my keys, because I forget them everywhere. I use them when I don't need my toolbag to complete a repair at work. Mostly 2 Phillips to get to a control board.
Good for computers, as you only really need a screwdriver, pliers and a cutting edge.

As for what I'd buy, it doesn't matter. You'll be attracting the elitist faggits here in a few minutes who will tell you that unless you buy a hundred dollar leatherman, youre a worthless piece of shit. Personally, I buy whatever I see that hass what I need. I like lightweight ones that keep it to a minimum.
Protip: no one needs a fucking saw on a multitool. A serrated blade, maybe.
>>
>>919283
Very handy if you get your arm trapped and need to cut it off.
>>
>>919288
I bought four because they were extremely cheap and I'll have extras in case the one I'm using breaks/is lost.

I'd still love to hear about what you'd buy even if it doesn't matter. I'd also love to hear about how you'd maintain your tool.
>>
>>919283
OP, those things aren't worth their weight as scrap metal. If you manage to get them sharpened, they won't hold the edge. Buy a Weber, Victorinox or Leatherman. Don't skimp on tools. Cheap tools aren't cheap over time.
>>
>>919293
for a dollar, if he turns 10 screws, cuts 3 ropes, and files his nails once, it was worth it.
see
>>919288
you're the faggit.
>>
File: leatherman.jpg (241 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
leatherman.jpg
241 KB, 1800x1200
>>919283
unless you buy a hundred dollar leatherman, youre a worthless piece of shit.

Pic related, the master race.
>>
>>919283
If you want a good, cheap knife, buy an Opinel.
What you have is .. Well, "crap", to be blunt.
A Cheap multitool is not ever going to end well.
>>
>>919340
>unless you buy an expensive multi tool
>master race

At what point did you think these two statements should have been side by side?

>Master race
>Expensive
>Multi tool

Ironic. Multi tools are just shit tier tools. That's it. Regardless of cost. That said the more money you pay is relative to how moronic you are.

If you have a job for a tool, buy the tool. If need to buy a multi tool, you don't have a task beyond unboxing shit from Amazon or maybe 'needing it' when you're in the arse hole of nowhere camping.
>>
>>919340
funny.. you can pick up a skeletool at home despot for 29.95$ ... hope you enjoyed spending an extra 70$ for that fish scaler....
>>
>>919283
Spend 20$ and buy a victorinox super tinker Swiss army knife. They sell them everywhere from Walmart to target.

It's all you need as an entry knife, and it's not a big bulky multitool.

I got one as a first knife in boyscouts
>>
I see a lot about possible future buys for me which is awesome. Thank you all for sharing that.

How would you go about maintaining them; sharpening the blade or cleaning them, other things like that?
>>
>>919377
>how to sharpen a knife
>how to clean a knife
Boom, halfway there. You figure out where these go and I'll give you one million results.
>>
>>919345
>I carry a toolbox with me 24/7
bravo m8
>>
>>919285
I own one of these, great tool, some of the parts are prone to rust however so be careful if you get moisture on it.
>>
>>919417
>I can't go get a tool box when something actually needs fixing, i'd rather half-ass it.

I only ever use mine when I drop my knife or pliers when I'm on top of a ladder. It's just a backup.
>>
>>919417
I really do. I drive a van. Always have a tool box with or near me.

Many people I know carry a basic set of tools in their car.
>>
>>919541
I do too. I drive a sedan. Sometimes can't be arsed to walk back to the car to get a knife or pliers. I'd love to be one of those people who is just naturally arsed but I sort of can't be.

As for my multitool, its an unbranded one I found in a shed. Sharpened the knife and ground down the flathead bit since it was useless otherwise. But most of all I use the pliers/wire cutters, wouldn't buy a multitool without good pliers. You can't turn a nut with a knife.
>>
>>919293
I just got myself a SOG, it seems to hold up to the level of quality of my 2 Leathermans. Then again I quite agree that a Victorinox is miles better than what OP bought.

All this said OP, don't let me or the other haters get you down, use and abuse those tools and when they are all broken/lost you can start thinking what tools you have need for and invest in a brand tool then.
>>
File: ALiEN_II_3.jpg (45 KB, 368x348) Image search: [Google]
ALiEN_II_3.jpg
45 KB, 368x348
Multitools are a godsend for cyling. Compact, lightweight and if you spend ~£30 you can get one with enough tools to completely disassemble, then reassemble a modern mountainbike or racer in the event of a breakdown.

I've used mine a few times, mostly for the times I've snapped my derailleur linkage halfway round a course and need to strip back the chainset to singlespeed to get me home where the real tools are.

Also handy for those on-the-fly adjustments - reversing the handlebar stem for a different posture during long rides, straightening crash-bashed brake levers, even straightening buckled wheels in the event of a snapped spoke.

No match for a set of workshop tools, but lifesaver in an emergency.
>>
I just found a leatherman that I left at my folks place years ago. It's a pretty nice one (supertool?). Never buy the ones with removable bits, that shit is ridiculous.

I carry a buck knife for general knife stuff, and just keep the leatherman on me on the job. I use the spring loaded needlenose pliers to pull hot scrims out of spotlights, and occasionally use the other shit to tighten something down or loosen it.

The wire cutter and knife occasionally comes in handy for wiring up a light fixture or something.

I actually got the most use out of the silly little Leatherman Micra, because it was small enough to slip into a jeans pocket, and having a little scissors always comes in handy.

I doubt I'd carry anything but my old swiss army knife if I didn't work in lighting.
>>
>>919573
>arsed
>pronounced and spelled 'ass' in the correct, proper english
>I can't be assed to do things
>some people can be assed, but I can't be assed.
>>
>>919365

Well, there are a lot of good reasons to stay away from the Skeletool. Principle of which being the semi-serated blade.
>>
>>921665
Skeletool.cx.is god tier, shut your.whore mouth.your waifu a shit.

Really though.you got nothing otherwise you would have said it. Dont like the semi serrated knife? Get the one without it.
>>
>>921711
>multi tool thread
>the one illiterate guy who loves his skeletool

Like clockwork
>>
>>919661
>the odds of needing to turn a nut that just happens to be one of those sizes
>>
>>919661
I use the same exact one when I'm cycling. I've had to use just about every tool on there.
>>
>>921765
To be fair, a bike should have a fairly low number of different nut sizes and if you don't check what different sizes you need, well...
>>
File: multi.jpg (112 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
multi.jpg
112 KB, 1500x1500
>>919283
>How do you sharpen your knives
Slack-belt sander, very fine grit.

>>If you were going to buy an expensive multi-tool
Don't.

>>what sort of projects/in what situations would you use a multi-tool?
If you're doing a project, you should use dedicated tools. A multi-tool is for quick tasks where it would be a bother to go and get the right tool for the job. Multi tools by their nature trade off functionality for having an assortment of sucky tools that are better than nothing.

With that in mind, I keep pic related on my key chain. It's smaller than my car fob, and it's terrible both as a driver and a pliers. However, that's good enough for occasional random tasks. Most of its use has been pulling hot electrodes out of TIG torches when a proper pliers isn't handy. It's clipped next to a mini Swiss Army knife that has a few basic blades and bladelike tools. They're not good knives, but they work for basic tasks when I'm not carrying a proper utility knife (Milwaukee Fastback, clipped to pocket). I also commonly carry a tape measure (clipped to pocket) and mini Maglite (in belt holster) when I anticipate the possibility of doing any kind of work on stuff. Since those individual tools are made to be portable and accessible, all together they're less of an encumbrance than a multitool like in >>919285 and more accessible too. I can take out the Fastback, make a cut, and put it away in less time than it would take to take out the Leatherman and fold out the blade. And the disposable blades mean I can always have a razor sharp blade even if I also need to cut sandpaper or other abrasive stuff.

Dedicated tools can give you advantages like that, which is why multitools are only advantageous when it's impractical to keep a good tool around in case you might need it.
>>
>>921373
>>pronounced and spelled 'ass' in the correct, proper english
>proper English
>proper
>English
Wow. You're really broken, aren't you? Go read a book, or speak with an Englishman. Then come back and talk shit.

[pic for opie]
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.