[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to add a remote switch to my speaker system.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
I'm trying to add a remote switch to my speaker system. To do this, I found pic related, a remote controlled switch. The issue is, I want to still be able to use a physical switch on the unit to turn it on and off. If I use this module, it will completely replace that.

So I want to for example; switch on with physical switch, switch off with remote.

How can I do this? Any modules available? Or is there some electronic trickery to do this I do not yet know of?
>>
you need to keep the remote unit ON to be able to use the main switch

an other way would be getting an EE/hobbyst etc. opening up your system and installing a custom solution which places a custom logic instead of the on/off switch. It is not complicated for an EE/hobbyst (its like 10 lines if code on a uC or you can even get it down to logic gates or even opamp comparator level although nowadays these would be more expensive than a 1$ uC) but their hourly wages are probably too high
>>
>>1018695
>>1018695
The fuck are you on about "ten lines of code"??

OP you want an "exclusive or" gate as you described.

XOR outputs a signal if, and only if, one input signal is true. If both signals are off or on then the output is false.

Open up your unit.
Wire up the wireless switch onto an appropriate rail from the power supply.
Wire the output of the wireless gate into an XOR IC.
Unsolder the power switch output from the board and onto the chip.
Vamp the common line from the switch to the wireless switch's common.
Connect the output of the XOR IC onto the board location you took the power signal from.
>>
Hallway switch wiring. Done. Stop cramming microcontrollers into the most trivial of applications.
>>
>>1018743
I don't think that a single XOR gate would be enough.
Like imagine him turning both the switch and the remote ON, his system would turn OFF. Then he would turn one of the buttons OFF and then his system would turn ON. That sounds bad.
I think he would need some sort of flip-flop where the output state would depend on the latest button/remote press if we don't want to use a micro although a micro would be probably cheaper (think some DIP8 PIC) than any other solutions.
>>
>>1018747
But what if I accidentally leave the stereo on and don't remember until I'm already in my private leer flying over the Atlantic! What then, huh? What then?
>>
>>1018880
Call your mum and tell her to go down the basement and turn off your stereo. But she probably already did.
>>
>>1018757
OP here, that is indeed an issue. It should indeed respond to the latest input.
I've never coded something before so if I need to do that, can someone instead just post a ebay link to a module or something that I can just install?
>inb4 follow a guide to code stuff; knowing myself, I'll even fuck that up.
>>
>>1019634
Why don't you just wire it as a hallway switch pair?
>>
>>1019637
OP here: good thinking! I'll look into that! Thanks!
>>
>>1020858
>>1019637
The only problem you'll probably encounter when you're wiring it as a hallway switch is that on some occasions, you'll have to press the Off button on the remote to turn your stereo on.
>>
One way is to change the switch on the speaker system to a push button that will turn the system on if it is off and vice versa. That will solve the problem with having a master switch.
>>
I don't know of this would work in your case

Also i didn't read the thread

But I once saw someone put a wireless doorbell receiver inside an original Xbox and set the jumpers to single ding. Then put the button inside the controller. When you clicked the button it sent a pulse to a wire connected to the power button and it turned on.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.