[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building a road bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: cyclocross-cx.jpg (24 KB, 540x361) Image search: [Google]
cyclocross-cx.jpg
24 KB, 540x361
I'm not sure if this is the board about bicycles but I am planning on building my own bicycle and would like some advice on what to buy etc...I thought about buying a used frame and then assembling it piece by piece. The environment is mostly urban and with a little bit of off-road so I think cyclocross bikes might be the best for my needs. I'll be using it as a commuter but also for very long distances and maybe some amateur competition. It has to be very durable and with quality parts that can resist water, mud, sand...

I don't know all that much about bikes so I don't know if it's better to build it yourself or buy it from a company like GIANT, Cannondale or Bianchi Intrepida.

Budget: 2000$ CAD
Time: 2-3 weeks
>>
>>>/n/ is the place

But since you asked, yes. get a cyclocross bike. I would specifically get a monster cross capable bike with rack mounts, like a Surly Cross Check (more versatile and more tire clearance). Get full fenders too if you're riding in the wet. My 'cross bike does pretty much everything I want it to and it's perfect for city streets with a little offroad, also good for gravel road rides in the country. With the right tires it can handle moderate hardpack MTB trails pretty well (but it gets stuck in the mud more than my MTB).

You are better off buying complete because building with a frame and separate parts costs a LOT more unless you get a really good deal on everything, the only reason to do that is to get exactly the components you want, which you probably don't know yet.

Road racing bikes are suboptimal for everything except racing or LARPing as a racer. They're bumpy on bad roads, they get pinch flats and it's hard to fit racks or fenders. I never even ride mine anymore.
>>
>>1006854
GET A GOOD JIG. DO NOT USE CARBON UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE. PLAN PLAN PLAN PLAN
>>
>>1006889
This picture really makes me want to finish my olished stainless steel bike
>>
steel or shoot yourself. Reynolds tubing ftw. 105 shimano for good reliable compact set. biopace for retrofeel.

Aluminum Caad12 if you want carbon result with aluminum feel.

don't use carbon, you arent a racer.

Use Braze-on lugs and precut reynolda tubes.
>>
>>1006854
>steel or shoot yourself. Reynolds tubing ftw. 105 shimano for good reliable compact set. biopace for retrofeel.
>
>Aluminum Caad12 if you want carbon result with aluminum feel.
>
>don't use carbon, you arent a racer.
>
>Use Braze-on lugs and precut reynolda tubes.
ps, i ride a 1971 motobecane le champion full campy record, a.1985 Benotto Modelo 1500 biopace and a Caad11.
>>
honestly, just buy a fucking frame set and never look back unless you want to get into frame building as a hobby or do it as a side job
>>
>>1006944
>3 road bikes
>0 trail bikes
Go shave your legs.
>>
>>1006953
OP is debating road vs cross, and frame vs assembled. The first answer is the right one.
>>
>>1006854
Buying ready-made is cheaper.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.