[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
repairing jeans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: flower-patch-jeans-large.jpg (19 KB, 230x431) Image search: [Google]
flower-patch-jeans-large.jpg
19 KB, 230x431
my jeans normally have two acts. i buy them in late summer, wear the shit out of them through the winter, turn them into shorts for the summer.

it works out decent and saves me a ton of money, but by the end of summer, to mid-summer, my pants have many holes. in my current city, its fine, we punk, its virginia, hot af, who cares.

this summer though im heading to austria, lord of the conservative nice dressing people of the alps, so im hiring some girl to mend up my pants so they look less like shit.

im thinking i can have her just close the holes, but in some spots, the fabric is straight up gone, so ill need to patch it.

do you all have any recommendations for fabric to use? the original jean material is slightly elastic, levi denim. commuter build i believe, so its reinforced in some areas. virginia and vienna are humid af, so the material should be breathable but not too weak that it just tears.

idk, ive never done this before. ideas?
>>
>>1004546
Dude, a pair of jeans costs like $20

I hate to be the 'Buy It Yourself' guy. But some things are really just best to buy instead of fix. Think about the cost to longevity of something, say you fix these jeans, patch them up, they are already going to be weakened and will need constant repairs, you'll patch one hole and another will spring up and soon you'll be wearing nothing but patches, buy a new pair and it will last you months if not longer (don't know what you're doing to wear them out so fast)
>>
File: 1465221143001.jpg (77 KB, 440x585) Image search: [Google]
1465221143001.jpg
77 KB, 440x585
>>1004550
i see your point. its more of knowledge id just liek to have in general.

plus the pair of pants in question is already mondo reinforced in the areas i need it to be (crotch), and the only places where its compromising is in the weaker areas, liek the ass, and at the bottoms of the pocket areas. if i can spend $5, rather than $20+, thatd also be nice.

i also disagree with buy cheap pants, especially since im outdoors a vast majority of the time, but again i understand where youre coming from.
>>
kaufen sie ne schönes dirndl..
und, gut ist.
>>
>>1004563
ich bin männlich
>>
>>1004546
Just designate one pair to be cut up for patches? Thats what I do. Patch jean with jean

After you patched em all. Turn what's left into rags for the garage or something.
>>
>>1004546
>austria, lord of the conservative nice dressing people of the alps

HA

HA

let me tell you son the only people that dress well here with jeans are the serbians and the upper crust "aryans" and jews just wear chinos/suit pants.
>>
>>1004594
thats what i was thiniing. i still have the legs. might just do that. i think i also have some elestic denim around here which might be even better.

>>1004595
either way, as a representative of the US, by day, ill look like a punk bum, but by night, i will be a dapper young man.

i dont even care, but these holes are on the brink of turning nasty
>>
How do you wear out jeans so fast? I have Levis that last for 5-10 years before developing holes (like the back pockets and knees). Maybe it's the elasticized denim you're wearing that's weakening the jeans?
>>
Columbia Sportswear make these very durable khaki shorts and pants that look fine anywhere you go. The shorts, for example, can be 100% cotton or 70% cotton, 30% nylon, and both are light and tough, and an be completely dry after a wash in 4-5 hours, so you can wash them in a basin with hand soap, and they're absolutely ready by next morning.

I got a bunch from the thrift store for $5-$7 each.
>>
Do you just have one pair of jeans that you wear all the time?
>>
I thought OP was a chick when I started reading this thread. I'm disappointed OP is a beta nu male fudgepacker.
>>
>>1005034
>there are no grills on the internet, anon.
and on/ diy/? - Bitches wont even pretend be one.
>>
>>1005032

I've done that from time to time with designated work jeans. Even then, you need to be labouring or lumberjack-ing to go through them at better than a pair a year. I used to find the crotch goes on stretch denim, not sure why. Perhaps the strain of my package manoeuvring around?
>>
File: 1464749485619.png (11 KB, 400x420) Image search: [Google]
1464749485619.png
11 KB, 400x420
>>1004741
for the most part, i generally dont wear elastics. idk why it happens. same goes for my shoes. my friends have had their vans for going on 10+ years, and i wear through a pair in a year.

i hoenstly dont know.

>>1004748
good move. id only ever own 1 pair of khakis though because they get dirty fast af

>>1005032
i cycle between maybe 3 pairs

>>1005034
>guaranteed replies
>>
I work construction. I have two pairs of work jeans and one "nice" pair. I wear one pair until they get nasty and switch to the other pair so I don't have to do laundry at night for just one pair of jeans.

Once I destroy a work pair, I buy a new pair and those become my "nice" pair. I just buy Faded Glory jeans from Walmart since they cost $10 a pair. Sometimes I get Levis when they are on clearance.

I've noticed that Levis have made the transition to more trendy lately though and don't tend to last as long. Might have been a bad batch though.

Patching denim is never worth it though. Patches always blow out in record time because you added a new seam.

New is the way to go.
>>
>>1004546
>Virginia
>we punk now

Please tell me you listen to converge
>>
>>1005080
yes, but i cant really listen to jane doe anymore. ive worn it out like my jeans

>>1005064
im starting to warm up to the idea of a new pair.
i gotta go levis tho because them eurokids absolutely lurve them, and if i need to, ill just sell them, since apparently they always ask to buy peoples levis and converse

the seam is a good point. im wondering if their may be a method to prevent it
>>
>>1005378

Even when I went to Russia in 1993 people thought they could sell their old jeans there. Fact is, you could buy twenty pairs of good counterfeit jeans for the price of a pair of real Levi's.

Needless to say, no-one in Europe is going to buy your old jeans.

If you want to wear what the cool euro kids are wearing then get some Hilfiger or Versace. I can assure you that other than in rural France (where fashion is stuck in the 80's) Levi's are not the cool hip brand to wear.

Most people will be wearing skinny jeans or twisted leg or some other such gimmick.
>>
>>1005442

Samefag again.

I buy last year's fashion denim from charity shops (thrift stores?). I can get 3 or 4 pairs for the equivalent of 20 usd, and the previous owner will only have worn them a handful of times.

Depending on the generosity of rich folks in your locale of course, but from my local ones I can usually pick up a perfect condition Italian 3 piece suit and a couple of TM Lewin shirts also for around the 20 usd mark. Usually with a quality silk tie to compliment it for an additional dollar or so.

Then you'd look far more stylish than some dude in a pair of 80's jeans. UK fag here btw.
>>
>>1005442
And it's not like you can't get a pair of Levi's in Europe. Granted they are a lot more expensive than in the US (I'd have to pay around 90 USD for a pair here (in store) compared to around 50 or so in the US) but that doesn't mean it's going to be easy to sell a used pair.
>>
I'm scratching my head at who actually does outdoor stuff in jeans. Jeans are horrible active wear.

If you're working in an environment where the material takes a beating, you want something like Duluth firehose pants or Carhart.

If you're just hiking and being outdoors, something light and synthetic is far more appropriate.
>>
>>1005987
>urban wear
>poor fag
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.