[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions from a noob concerning comicbooks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 3.png (955 KB, 772x606) Image search: [Google]
3.png
955 KB, 772x606
Hey guys,

So I started reading comics a month ago and started with superhero comics from both dc and marvel. Didn't like most of the stuff and constant crossover events make it hard to follow so I am looking to get into image and vertigo. So far I have outcast, southern bastards, wytches, manhattan projects, bedlam,black science,lucifer,hellblazer,sandman, saga, nailbiter, east of west and clean room. Are there any "classics" or really overlooked books which I am not aware of?
>>
Yeah that seems more than likely.
>>
>>83903883
I dropped Saga and East to West, while I'm following Deadly Class, The Fix and Sheriff of Babylon
>>
try reading full runs that were not interrupted by events, or rarely got interrupted by runs.

MorrisonĀ“s New X-Men from 2000 to 2004, or Whedon's Astonishing X-Men which followed that would be examples.

DC has many recent runs like that, like Soule's Swamp Thing or Azzarello's Wonder Woman.

Floppies keep the industry alive but I hate them, buy trades, full story arcs, omnibus if it is comfortable, I dont bother with floppies.
>>
>hard to follow
I don't understand this at all, comics, espically cape comics, are simple as fuck, even with the convoluted crossovers and sliding timescale, and to make things even easier, there is a "Previously, On.." page before every issue to help the reader keep up.
>>
>>83904025
Yea it's pretty unbelievable that people meme "HARD TO FOLLOW" when they give recaps in every. single. issue.
>>
>>83903970
I read only the first 2 issues of each book. It seems really weird but I think thats supposed to be. So far I enjoy it. I'll the check out the other books though thanks.
>>83903994
Yeah. I should try to read the stories for what they are and not what place they have in their respective universe. Might enjoy them more.
>>83904025
Hard to follow in the sense that I don't have enough money to buy all this stuff.
>>
Prophet
Chew
Sweet Tooth
Shade the Changing Man
Doom Patrol

I also recommend:
Love & Rockets
Hellboy/BPRD
>>
>>83903994
This. Right here. I hate floppies as well, but maintain a pull list of like 6+ titles to help support my lcs and get 15% off all other items in the store. tpbs and omnis are where it's at.
>>
>>83903883
Y: The Last Man
>>
>>83904071
Thanks for the recommendations. I totally forgot that I'm currently reading preacher. I hope it won't ruin the series for me.
>>83904121
Nice dystopia. Love that shit
>>
>>83904063
>Hard to follow in the sense that I don't have enough money to buy all this stuff.
I started out just pirating comics, completed runs like Ostrander's Suicide Squad and Ultimate Spider-Man, but if I like something, really really like something, I'll buy it
>>83904058
To be fair, it's almost a habit to just skip right past that page, I wouldn't be surprised if most new readers didn't even know about it at all.
>>
>>83904180
I actually also pirate most of my stuff. If I like a comic after 2 issues I'll buy it. What comic reader do you use. I recently found yacreader which has library management with tags and scrapers.
>>
marvel fan here
how do I learn to tell apart Deadshot and Deathstroke
>>
>>83904271
Deadshot will job to any hero, while Deathstroke will make any hero job.
>>
>>83904271
Deathstroke has a orange and blue/black color scheme and carries a sword.
>>
>>83904254
I just read the comics through the /co/ archives mostly, if I do download one I just use the basic picture viewer on my phone.
>>
>>83904271
One, Deathstroke, wears orange and usually carries a sword. Most of the time, his mask only has one eye slot because he lacks the other eye. The other, Deadshot, wears red and almost always has a gun. His mask has two eye slots because he can see from both eyes.

Deathstroke is also usually more muscular than Deadshot, since the former is an overall one-man-army kind of badass, while the latter is the best sharpshooting assassin in the world.
>>
>>83903883
you are missing some Ellis and Moore there

Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Planetary

I also recommend Kabuki by David Mack, it's weird and very much more free form were the story takes a back seat to exploring the emotions of a tramatized woman
>>
>>83903883
Crossovers are something that only become a problem after 1985. 60-70's Marvel is pretty kick ass.
>>
>>83904025
>>83904058
Because people wants to read how great a character is in the recap of his book...
Why not just read a character's wikipedia? You don't even have to read comics to follow the story.
>>
File: tumblr_mw4j7uZwp81rkisgto1_500.gif (315 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mw4j7uZwp81rkisgto1_500.gif
315 KB, 500x282
>>83904666
>recommending wikipedia
>>
>>83904025

different poster
when you feel the need to read the complete story, and not just satisfied with a "*was turned into a werwolf in #237", and want to read the whole thing. Keep going back and back issues, doesnt seem like a good place to start alot of the time unless its a Collection or something.
>>
>>83904666
This is dumb as shit.
When ever I got to a point in a book where I didn't understand something, if it seemed interesting I bought the previous book and read it. If it seemed dumb? I googled it and got a breakdown. Simple as fucking that.
>>
>>83904825
He's not though. He's saying if you're recommending recaps is basically like recommending wikipedia, which is a huge stretch, a reducto ad absurdim but he's at least on your side.

>>83904666
Fuck off Satan, in a serial medium with many different writers it's not always a good idea to go back and read a story that establishes a certain status quo. If you're just starting out reading a run, of course go back and get the background, but not all of us are autistic enough to stop in the middle of story and read the previous ones when an old continuity element is introduced.
Also this is often a complaint levied by people who do not read comics and want to read NEW comics, aka an excuse because if they were actually interested in reading the character they would not complain about a dearth of stories, they would celebrate and read them.
>>
>>83904025
>>83904058

It should be noted that DC doesn't use recap pages in any of their comics (DC, Vertigo, etc.).

In all, though, I don't understand why people get so up in arms about whether "comics are hard to follow" is true or not. Take television shows, for instance -- 99.999% of all serialized shows have recaps at the start of every episode, but they constantly struggle with audience loss. Serialized shows before the Netflix era were pretty much a rarity, and the few exceptions were successes *because* they were so rare (and because they were relatively well-made).
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.