[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cucumber Quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: 729[1].jpg (296 KB, 650x1011) Image search: [Google]
729[1].jpg
296 KB, 650x1011
It's back
>>
File: 730[1].jpg (366 KB, 650x1011) Image search: [Google]
730[1].jpg
366 KB, 650x1011
>>
File: 731[1].jpg (272 KB, 650x1011) Image search: [Google]
731[1].jpg
272 KB, 650x1011
>>
Wow, I'm, sure we were all waiting with baited breath for this to come back. What an exciting development. I wonder how much NOTHING will happen.
>>
File: 4cov[1].jpg (374 KB, 650x1011) Image search: [Google]
4cov[1].jpg
374 KB, 650x1011
>Here goes!
>>
>>83761681
This is a meme that needs to end. The pacing's not that slow.
>>
>>83761893
Nigger, it's slower than fucking Gunnerkrigg Court
>>
>>83761893
It's funny how /co/ are hypercritical of webcomic writing/art but will gladly eat whatever big name companies shit out, with a spoon and a big brown grin.
>>
>>83761703
I'm all for seeing how Gigi does snow and crystal effects in this chapter.
>>
>>83762097
You are so full of it I don't even know how to respond.
>>
>>83762160
>MMM feed me more rehashes of the same 5 capeshit characters please!
>>
>>83761703
Holy shit it's only on chapter 4
>>
>>83762376
> even Paranatural is further along
>>
>>83762376
>>83762408
They're big chapters.
>>
File: harveytab.jpg (137 KB, 374x428) Image search: [Google]
harveytab.jpg
137 KB, 374x428
>>83762097
It's not funny, it's natural.

Webcomic critiques are a lot easier to make because they're both easier to see errors in their production and the creators are closer to their reach. The slow pace makes it easier to spot errors, making any comic that doesn't update at the speed of fucking early MSPA to be slower than molasses because a comic artist may not know the best method for speedy storytelling. Notice how Homestuck started to get more critical responses and more annoyed fans the slower the updates got.

A lot of it will stem from people going "I could totally do better than this person at this story" and explain in detail how, which undermines the creator. It usually just annoys them because they didn't do it first but in their ideal version. People can always talk up the best way to make Questionable Content, Dumbing of Age, Dresden Codak, Homestuck, Penny Arcade, Cucumber Quest and others simply because they think all it would take is change of leadership and the comic is "saved". They don't appreciate the idea that the comic is not theirs to save, and the actual comic deserves the intentions of the person who created it.

It's a problem shared across mediums, too, which is kind of hilarious. People defend staunchly the right for an artist to do whatever they want...so long as it fits their own sensibilities.

It's never something so simple as "If I don't like the show/movie/game/comic anymore, then I won't watch it anymore". No, it's gotta change so I still have every comic I want to enjoy forever.

Also, harder to care about the artistic standards of DC or Marvel since they are inherently products at this point.
>>
>>83762376
It's hard to imagine that considering how slow it moves.

Cucumber quest is the prefect combination of being predictable enough to not wanting to follow it and being slow enough to only look back at it every few months when you remember it exists.

I think the worst part of the humor. Gigi can't do humor that isn't a parody. Instead, she tries her own original writing and tries making a parody of that. And it feels every bit as unfunny in theory as in practice.

For someone who wishes she could go back in time and erase the metal gear and persona comics, she sure spends a lot of her time dwelling on that exact type of humor with a weaker foundation to base it on.
>>
>>83762376
They gotta be if she's making books out of each one.
>>
I'd like to see this kind of art with a good writer on board.
>>
>>83762729
You can't make a long, drawn-out critique-of-critics about Cucumber quest.

People told Gigi what they wanted. People told her that this wasn't going very quickly, and that it wasn't very exciting. People told her that she was way better off with her parody comics because she had a solid foundation to work with.

She ignored all of it, Cucumber quest is the result of that.

You can throw mud all you want at critics, but when someone goes and does something that people told them that they shouldn't do; then that person only have themselves to blame when no one wants any part of it anymore.

Maybe if this were the late 90's or early 00's and keenspot was still a relevant place for webcomics, and we were just entering the sprite comic age; then Cucumber Quest would have been a wildly successful hit that would have made people drop RPGQuest for it. Remember that shit? That comic moved even slower than Cucumber Quest but was the thing no one would shut up about for weeks, it was a less popular homestuck

But it's not that era, we don't live in the era where animating something on Newgrounds makes you an e-celeb, and we don't live in an era where a very slow, boring comic about RPG Tropes is still a new and fresh invention that people want to bookmark and visit every few days.

Somehow that's everyone else's fault though, isn't it?
>>
File: misery_1050_591_81_s_c1[1].jpg (44 KB, 1050x591) Image search: [Google]
misery_1050_591_81_s_c1[1].jpg
44 KB, 1050x591
>>83763832
>She ignored all of it, Cucumber quest is the result of that.

Why do you think she, or any artist for that matter, needs to listen to you?

Christ, it reminds of that stalker Michelle had, who kept making posts on how to 'fix' Ava's Demon. When they weren't listened to, they went full pic-related and stirred up all kinds of shit.
>>
The art is gorgeous but it DOES move way too slowly.
>>
>>83761641
did the lesbian lolis fuck yet
>>
>>83763896
>Why do you think she, or any artist for that matter, needs to listen to you?
Only if they want readers. When they come to /co/ and whine and complain that their magnum opus is being ignored and heckled compared to scribblings they made in high-school; is that really anyone's fault but their own?

We didn't go to her forum and make this thread. Someone who reads her comic came over here and made the thread here. I can only assume people whining about critics are people who don't understand that /co/ isn't a hugbox where people who don't toe the line are banned.
>>
>>83763911
No, it really should just be about them. They're probably the most interesting characters in the comic.

Does ANYONE care about Cucumber or Nightmare knight?
>>
>>83763896
sup gigi, sorry your webcomic isn't working out. maybe you should blame those evil haters some more.
or just double down and claim you have a real stalker.
>>
>>83761641
I liked the short lesbian godess comic she did. The evil one is the best girl.
>>
>>83763937
>Only if they want readers.
Changing your work to get readers just makes it soulless pandering shit. Write and draw things how you want it and if people don't like it, there are other webcomics out there.

Also
>We
Fucking cringed right there, mate.
>>
>>83764022
>Changing your work to get readers just makes it soulless pandering shit. Write and draw things how you want it and if people don't like it, there are other webcomics out there.

Great, so you only want to make comics for yourself. That's good m8, really good. Why bother hosting them on the internet, or worse, going to other internet forums and asking for opinions when the opinions you aren't the ones you want?

no one cares about Cucumber quest anymore. It's run its course, it needs something short of an act of god to make it relevant again.

Good job not even reading my post and just posting a kneejerk reaction, but I'll give you this one:

>cringed
Fucking cringed right there, mate.

Maybe you should just delete the thread if opinions about the thing you made the thread about hurt you so much.
>>
>>83764022
>Changing your work to get readers just makes it soulless pandering shit.
wew lad, you think changing your work based on the critiques of others results in pandering soulless shit?
glad to know you never graduated first-grade writing because that evil bigoted teacher didn't like it. What a joke, you should be able to draw A's and B's the way you want and no one can tell you otherwise because you're a special snowflake.
>>
>>83764061
>>83763986
>Somebody is disagreeing with my autism. It must be the author!
You just keep digging yourself deeper, huh?

>>83764092
There's constructive criticism and learning from experienced people and then there's neckbeards yelling "you do things MY way!" over and over.

In a situation where it's your personal project and you believe it's going the way you want, then yes, your strawman evil teacher can fuck right off.
>>
>>83764160
No where did I call you gigi. It sounds like you're just upset that someone doesn't like your slow, watered down RPG-trope laden mess.

No, keep digging yourself deeper. Keep insisting that everyone who has critiqued Cucumber Quest that's wrong and not yourself.

>There's constructive criticism and learning from experienced people and then there's neckbeards yelling "you do things MY way!" over and over.
The problem comes when you're so steeped in self-righteousness that you lose sight as to which is which. There's plenty of perfectly good criticism in this thread, but you rather instead attack the critics mindlessly because they don't like thing and they're on the forum which lets them speak their mind.
>>
>>83761893
I wouldn't change the fuck that it's dull as fuck with cute art. art doesn't save shit.
>>
>>83764160
>In a situation where it's your personal project and you believe it's going the way you want, then yes, your strawman evil teacher can fuck right off.
that's right, it's the teacher that's wrong. those C's can and should look like Z's because it's your personal project. please ignore the world telling you that it's a complete mess and just sink deeper into that hugbox.
good night, hope you get better tastes in webcomics.
>>
>>83764160
your big complaint seems to me "LEAVE GIGI ALONE" and not actually about the merits of the comic. Maybe you should try dispelling some of the misconceptions instead of squealing "FUCKING NECKBEARDS YELLING 'YOU DO THINGS MY WAY! DUH DUH' OVER AND OVER".

We know you won't, you'll go back to spinning strawmen but then complaining about how people are using strawmen against poor ol' you while complaining that everyone giving you facts and reasoning about the comic are just neckbeards.
>>
>>83764240
>>83764267
>>83764312
It's fine to "speak your mind". I have crits on many artists and what they've done. I'm just not so self-absorbed that I considered those crits the Word of God.

If somebody doesn't want your 'advice', take a fucking hint and stop hounding them over it like you're some kind of standard.
>>
>>83764333
>It's fine to "speak your mind". I have crits on many artists and what they've done. I'm just not so self-absorbed that I considered those crits the Word of God.
and yet, here you are throwing a spergfit because people spoke their mind. I'm guessing you're another one of those people who think it's only OK when you do it. When other people do it, it's just the ramblings of neckbeards.
>If somebody doesn't want your 'advice', take a fucking hint and stop hounding them over it like you're some kind of standard.
Then don't start a thread about it on fucking /co/. If you don't want feedback, just stay in your tumblr hugbox and block everyone who doesn't immediately like your new update.

What kind of self-absorbed mindset do you have to possess to think that you're entitled to people leaving you alone on 4chan? Holy shit.
>>
>>83764333
Cucumber quest is awful if gigi wanted to make it work she should have gotten a writer to fix her mess. trying to be both writer and artist doesn't work. why do you think actual comics have fucking a dozen people one them. To make something good you need a collaborative project unless you are a fucking prodigy
>>
>>83764333
>LEAVE GIGI ALONE
>TAKE A HINT AND LEAVE HER ALONE

Is this your first day?
>>
>>83764379
>>83764333
I meant to post this with it, but fuck it, I'm too lazy to delete the old post to append it.
In fact, I'm too lazy to continue this conversation. Just keep treating the world like tumblr and I'm sure that will work out great.
>>
>>83764361
Only spergfits I'm seeing are from you guys.

Who type like this.

And expects to be taken seriously.

Then go into wild rants about evil teachers, just because somebody doesn't want to change their work to please basement dwellers on the internet.

Gigi's fine, as are many other webcomic artists out there. You people just need to chill the fuck out.
>>
>>83764436
The art is the writing isn't and her personality could use work but that's neither here nor there. There are a ton of cunts in the industry many can back it up with talent many can not. All gig really needs to do to fix cucumber quest is remove all the dialog and cut all the boring pages and it'd be more interesting than what it is because people could imagine it's better than anything gigi could do. keep the text boxes so people could add some edits and it'd be fine.
>>
>>83764333
But people aren't harassing Gigi, at least not the anons here.
This is just feedback for OP and whoever else is in this thread.
Nobody is expecting change, anon. They're just saying how they feel.
>>
>>83764160
If you don't want to listen to critics, just ignore them. They're entitled to their opinion.
>>
>>83763832
>You can't make a long, drawn-out critique-of-critics about Cucumber quest.
I can and did. Cucumber Quest threads are always like this.

The comic is rife with problems, yes, and it's fair to criticize the pacing and lack of punching humor, and Gigi herself has a weird tendency to overexaggerate her "I'm so perfect and arrogant" 'Twitter persona' to a really annoying degree.
If she doesn't want to take the criticisms, then that's fair for her. Like you said, if it's huge, then she'll lose readers and realize her error. And if she's right, then she won't lose readers.
However, it's not at all unreasonable to say that some people have an unfair perception of what it "should be" and that harms their criticism. People get caught up in this idea that they can "save the comic" by promoting the ultimate solution to the artist to solve their writing woes. And when the artist does not want to take this advice, they feel as though they had been personally insulted. So they have a vendetta instead of letting go.

And don't say they don't. I've seen a lot of CQ threads here. They do.

>People told her that she was way better off with her parody comics because she had a solid foundation to work with.
>She ignored all of it
She ignored the parody comments because she personally doesn't want to do them. It doesn't matter how solid a safe bet is. If she doesn't want to do them, then she doesn't want to do them.

If she wanted to be "successful", then she would have made parody comics until the sun went away. She obviously just wants to make a fucking comic she wants to make.
>>
File: ecbutew9.jpg (38 KB, 412x510) Image search: [Google]
ecbutew9.jpg
38 KB, 412x510
>>83764684
I see it happen in Jollyjack threads over his art style too. Complaining that proportions aren't 100% realistic, like that was ever his intention.

Meanwhile mainstream cartoons and comic do that shit all the fucking time and it's perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>83764684
It's fair to be disappointed that a writer doesn't fix obvious problems.

Some critics do have pretty dumb ideas though.
>>
>>83764824
That's the thing though. There's a difference between sharing an opinion and being disappointed it's rejected and being some entitled creep who keeps pushing it.

It's like that stoner friend who just won't shut up about how you should try whatever they're on. It's just annoying.
>>
>>83764759
>>83764824
And I get it. It's perfectly fine to criticize things like that. Art style, story progression, structure, characters, all that shit. Fair game. Intention of an artist should be challenged same as any other thing.

It's just really easy to think that your solution is "the perfect solution" and the comic will only get better if the artist changes it to your specifications. It's also important to realize when something may not be designed for you specifically. It may not need to be changed, but you may as well not read the comic anymore.

Both fair things to do.
>>
I know the idea that "nothing happens in Cucumber Quest" is a forced meme at this point, but can those of you that do read it let me know if you eventually get a return on your time investment? Do the characters ever become likeable? Does the plot ever become engaging? Because I read a decent amount of it in the early days and I never saw anything that wasn't extremely bland or cliche. The series took the "lol the hero is really the girl but they're forcing the boy" idea and ground it into the fucking dirt.

Pretty art though.
>>
>>83764869
Oh, OK. I don't always go to these threads but I can see that might happen.
>>
File: 1450147175207.jpg (10 KB, 97x102) Image search: [Google]
1450147175207.jpg
10 KB, 97x102
>>83764988

The only reason it's a forced "meme" is because of how generally accurate it is. Pushing a label onto it to have it be incorrect in the very little way that it could be just to strike up an argument isn't a good idea, Anon, but fuck it, at this point, it's the cringey 4chan staple.

To answer your question: once in a blue moon, the story'll actually do something out of nowhere or pick up the pace with something completely out of left-field, but the moment for that is pretty short-lived before we get thrust right into Cucumber and his crew to fit the staple of shit that's become all but obvious. The only time I actually remember anything getting me involved was probably the fight scene in the treasure room with Saturday or whatever that thing's name is, as well as whenever you first see Noisemaster for the first time as well as how his personality changes as the Knight actually talks with someone else, but other than that, the entire thing was an honest chore to get through.

It's like watching an old cartoon, like Astro Boy, Ridge Racer, or Lupin III's Green Jacket saga, but without any of the actual dialogue perfected over the years of radio commentary done beforehand to help guide it. It's stagnant, afraid to do too much save for cliches that the comic knowingly observes IS a cliche, but doesn't change it for the fact of meta humor to a ridiculous anime-esque ironic sense that's been going around in the modernist forms of it to begin with, like Bakemonogatori, and other such slice of life bullshit like that that tries to play off the shit it does as a parody just because doing it directly is somehow a sin to the people who watch that sort of cringey shit.

Instead of treating the simplistic and story-book style of world that it goes for as a standard approach to help it drive the point or theme it wants home through emotional response (Klonoa, Paper Mario, shit like that), it flops hard, regardless of how much easier it is on it for that very purpose.
>>
>>83764988
Yeah I enjoy it. Peridot a cute, Nightmare Knight a cute, their interactions are cute. It's not super profound or anything but it's fun enough that I keep coming back every few days
>>
>>83765700
>ridiculous anime-esque ironic sense that's been going around in the modernist forms of it to begin with, like Bakemonogatori, and other such slice of life bullshit like that that tries to play off the shit it does as a parody just because doing it directly is somehow a sin to the people who watch that sort of cringey shit.
What did you mean with this?
>>
>>83761641
Woww... how... exciting...
>>
>>83765775
It kind of is, though. It seems like they're not just going to face each of the Disaster Masters one by one, predictably, they're going to face off with Cordelia.
>>
File: 1418979190814.jpg (17 KB, 473x343) Image search: [Google]
1418979190814.jpg
17 KB, 473x343
>>83765774

Exactly what I stated before with how the comic handles it humor: cliches that the show or comic knowingly observes is a cliche through its various characters in either subtle or direct overtones (usually direct to have the character state a line that can be interpreted as due to how it contrasts/compliments their personality, usually done with waifu-bait garbage often to have them seem smarter than the rest or more aware than they seem) to produce the same result as if the show hadn't just spent a second to let everyone know that what they were doing was obviously planned.

This was moreso a visual novel thing that basically got it more popular as those very visual novels that did this "gamebreaking" characteristic got to become animes with major budgets because of their upcoming from fandoms and shit based around people that bought just about everything revolving around it and continued to do so as it transformed into an anime.

It's a meta fad that basically got popularized with the overly popular approaches to it like Toradora and such, where while such approached said topics in heavy handed ways to only introduce characters while keeping it subtle right after that to better diversify the characters, we ended up with anime that took to how people reacted and ultimately favored it by how dependable of an easy get-out-of-jail-free card it was, so to speak, with it going out to become a standard anime reaction image just because of how "mindblowing" the concept is when in practice, that's all the character is because they never go that far for her and her interactions beyond what's already been previously established (except this time, they know all about it and have the characters comment).

Contrarian as fuck? Just maybe, but in all honesty, it's a factor that is still lazy story-telling to the T and only serves to outfit the most barebone of show plots without any actual effort in order to gain the most revenue as possible.
>>
>>83762720

for you
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.